|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Hadley and Bumby sail for the States?
2. What did Ernest frequently contemplate?
3. What does Ernest suggest that he and Hadley should do?
4. Of what is Zelda jealous?
5. What does Pauline do one day when Hadley and Ernest were napping?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hadley do with her son before settling into a home in the United States?
2. Describe Hadley's birthing of their son.
3. Why do Ernest and Hadley decide to return to Paris?
4. How does Ernest meet F. Scott Fitzgerald and what does Ernest think of Zelda?
5. Who begins to visit the Hemingways frequently and what does Ernest think of her?
6. What job did Ezra get Ernest and how did Ernest feel about the editor-in-chief?
7. Who is Cayetano Ordonez and what does he do that involves Hadley after a bull fight?
8. What does Pauline suggest about The Torrents of Spring and how does Hadley feel about the suggestion?
9. Where do Ernest, Hadley, and Bumby go and how was the trip?
10. Describe the confrontation between Ernest and Hadley about Pauline.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Paris Wife and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Paris Wife is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Paris Wife, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Paris Wife. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in The Paris Wife? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in The Paris Wife, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Paris Wife and your own life to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)