|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which colonial government was Franklin printing these documents for?
(a) New Jersey.
(c) New York.
2. Franklin dated and nearly married a woman, until her family forbade their courtship when they decided what?
(a) He was dating Miss Read also.
(b) He had no religious values.
(c) His politics were too uncertain.
(d) His business would fail.
3. What did Franklin convince a number of men to do?
(a) Stop drinking.
(b) Stop gambling.
(c) Stop paying.
(d) Pay a lesser amount.
4. What was Franklin's response to those who played pranks on him when he did not pay into the pot?
(a) Convinced the others not to pay also.
(b) Stood firm and refused to pay.
(c) Left the firm.
(d) He eventually caved in and paid.
5. Franklin and Collins parted ways for a time after an argument about the equal education of women where Franklin took which position?
(a) For, with some limitations.
(d) Against, with limited exceptions.
6. At age 12, Franklin was indentured to James, his older brother, until he was how old?
7. On his first day in Philadelphia, as he walked down the road, Franklin passed what for the first time?
(a) The home he would someday own.
(b) The site of the future drafting of the Bill of Rights.
(c) The site of the future drafting of the Declaration of Independence.
(d) His future wife.
8. Where was Franklin's second, even better job in London?
9. What did Franklin spend his earnings on from his first job after going to London?
(a) Housing and entertainment.
(b) Housing and food.
(c) Savings for his own print shop.
(d) Lavish parties and books.
10. Franklin was a founding member of an intellectual club bearing what name?
11. Franklin took great pride when he lived in what fashion?
12. While waiting to set up his own shop, Franklin printed what for a colonial government?
(a) Land deeds.
(b) Colonial decrees.
(d) Birth, death certificates.
13. Franklin believed in God and attended church how frequently?
(d) Twice weekly.
14. How did those individuals who found the library a popular hangout benefit?
(a) Greatly, from exposure to books.
(b) Minimally, as most had to work and few had time to read.
(c) Minimally, as they were only passing through town.
(d) Little, as there were no reading assignments.
15. Franklin received assistance from other intellectual club members for his business, but the club also supported what?
(a) His political excursions.
(b) Scientific research Benjamin opposes.
(c) Religious organizations.
(d) Benjamin's ex-employer's ventures.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the contact recommend this to Franklin?
2. In Philadelphia, Franklin soon worked for Mr. Bradford's son, Andrew, and what other printer?
3. Josiah was impressed by the letter of recommendation and allowed Franklin's return to Philadelphia to do what?
4. How many virtues did Franklin live by from his twenties?
5. While he was good at writing, Franklin failed math, so Josiah put him to work in what business he operated?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)