This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of accommodations were promised to the Melodeers prior to leaving for Atlanta?
2. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
3. Who played the lead male role in the film Carmen Jones?
4. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
5. What does Baldwin regard as the most important thing about the film Carmen Jones?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Baldwin determine is the main similarity that the American Negro and the French Negro share?
2. According to Baldwin, what stereotypical qualities do Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom share?
3. How does Baldwin describe the American student colony in Paris?
4. Why does Baldwin conclude that the religion of the villagers is Catholicism?
5. How does Baldwin describe the social climate that existed when Richard Wright was writing Native Son?
6. What is the significance of the protest novel?
7. How are Ebony and Our World Magazines different?
8. Describe the Swiss village that Baldwin visits in the essay Stranger in the Village.
9. Why do you think Baldwin decided to reveal his own personal reflections in the chapter entitled Notes of a Native Son?
10. What is the significance of having the evil and immoral characters played by very dark complected Negroes in the film Carmen Jones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Baldwin describes his relationship with his father in Notes of a Native Son. After his father's death, Baldwin feels a sense of melancholy that he never had a chance to bond with his father. Why do you think Baldwin feels this way? What regrets, if any, do you think Baldwin had at the end of his father's life? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Notes of a Native Son, Baldwin makes reference to stereotypical and unrealistic black characters such as Aunt Jemima, Uncle Tom, and Carmen Jones. In your opinion, do these stereotypical figures represent the story of America? If so, how do these images represent the story of America? How do these images represent the lives of African Americans? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Baldwin wrote each of the essays in the book Notes of a Native Son between 1940 and 1959 and he published each in various publications during that time. Why do you think Baldwin selected these particular essays for inclusion in the book? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)