|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Narrator feels apprehensive about
2. Phaedrus did not understand
3. The plans of Chris and the Narrator are deliberately indefinite so that
4. Phaedrus served in the
5. The ghost that Phaedrus pursued was
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Narrator know that Phaedrus existed?
2. What are some of the things John likes about Miles City, Montana? What do these indicate about the city? About John?
3. Why do you suppose the Narrator calls Phaedrus' office a "find?" Do you think he did not know it was Phaedrus' office when he opened the door?
4. Explain what is meant by "Peace of mind produces right values which produce right thoughts which produce right actions which produce work that is inspiring in its completeness with nature and the human mind."
5. Explain the Narrator's train of knowledge. What do the various parts represent? What cannot be represented in a way you can see it in the train analogy?
6. The breakthrough of blue sky allows the Narrator and Chris to see the top of the ridge they are climbing. At the same time, the Narrator seems to reach a breakthrough in his Chautauqua. What did Phaedrus realize about Quality that was such a breakthrough?
7. Explain one of his more radical teaching techniques.
8. Chapter 30 is a chapter full of defeat: Phaedrus is unburied; the Narrator is on the brink of insanity again; the Narrator has lost touch with Chris; Chris is despondent and frustrated and angry, and Chris is in danger of following in Phaedrus' footsteps into insanity. What glimmer of hope occurs to the Narrator as he tries to deal with Chris' emotions?
9. In what ways was Phaedrus changed by his studies in India? How did his background in science help or hinder him in learning to think like the Orientals?
10. Which question would you prefer to ask your friends: "What's new?" or "What is best?" Which question would you rather have people ask you?
Essay Topic 1
How can technology best be pursued and used to enrich human life rather than degrading humans? Give examples. How can technology be art? Can you think of some examples?
Essay Topic 2
Give and explain three examples of the Narrator's fascination with detail and care.
Essay Topic 3
When Sarah had asked Phaedrus if he was teaching quality, she certainly had no way of knowing what that question would do to him mentally. What do you suppose Sarah had meant when she asked the question?
This section contains 2,352 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)