|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the four people riding motorcycles on a journey?
2. The person who started him thinking about Quality was
3. The Narrator seems to think that technology is
4. Phaedrus gave up chasing the ghost of rationality and
5. In chapter 11, the Narrator and Chris seem
Short Essay Questions
1. Sentence fragments are exchanged between the Narrator and the young woman who comes into the classroom. What do we learn about rumors concerning Phaedrus (the Narrator) that circulated in the English department? What do you think is the young woman's role at the university at this time?
2. Give an example of each type of logic.
3. Goethe's poem captures what may be at stake for the Narrator and Chris on this trip or at this point in their lives. Use the discussion of Chris, the ideas of Phaedrus up to this point, and what is said about the poem to explain how the poem captures what is going on in the Narrator's mind.
4. What hoped-for phenomena resulted from the abolition of grades in his classes?
5. How do we know that the Narrator has been on this road, in this town, or at this motel before?
6. Explain one of his more radical teaching techniques.
7. How do the DeWeeses respond to seeing the Narrator again? What are their actions and reactions? What are their emotions and thoughts?
8. What does the Narrator mean by referring to Phaedrus' reading of philosophers as the high country of the world of thought?
9. What is symbolized by the riding without helmets and what is symbolized by Chris' standing on the pegs to ride the motorcycle?
10. Chapter 30 is a chapter full of defeat: Phaedrus is unburied; the Narrator is on the brink of insanity again; the Narrator has lost touch with Chris; Chris is despondent and frustrated and angry, and Chris is in danger of following in Phaedrus' footsteps into insanity. What glimmer of hope occurs to the Narrator as he tries to deal with Chris' emotions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If you have read either 1984 or Brave New World, explain how that book fits with what the Narrator is saying about a world without Quality, a world of "squareness."
Essay Topic 2
What does the bottom of the ocean symbolize? Do you think the Narrator and Chris meet there? What do they find out about themselves and each other as they attempt to meet? What is the result?
Essay Topic 3
How can technology best be pursued and used to enrich human life rather than degrading humans? Give examples. How can technology be art? Can you think of some examples?
This section contains 1,706 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)