|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Narrator's tenseness and apprehension about going back to Bozeman are similar to the feelings felt by
2. Phaedrus discovered that the science he'd once thought of as the whole world of knowledge is
3. In chapter 11, the Narrator and Chris seem
4. What subject did Phaedrus teach at the university?
5. The predicted results of scientific inquiry and the actual results of scientific inquiry are
Short Essay Questions
1. A society which kills multitudes in wars, pollutes the land and oceans, and destroys the dignity of individuals is said to be a higher society than one that hunts and gathers. How can that be rationally explained?
2. In what ways was Phaedrus changed by his studies in India? How did his background in science help or hinder him in learning to think like the Orientals?
3. Why did John and Sylvia get angry with the Narrator?
4. What is a priori knowledge and how are time and space examples of a priori knowledge?
5. Give an example of each type of logic.
6. What hoped-for phenomena resulted from the abolition of grades in his classes?
7. Why was Phaedrus repulsed by Yellowstone Park? What do you think is Yellowstone's real-life parallel?
8. In what ways is Chris a reflection of, or mirror of, his father? How does his father realize this?
9. How does the Narrator show that Phaedrus is becoming more and more mentally unbalanced (insane)? Trace some of the ideas and words that help us understand that he is losing touch with reality and thinks he is a type of god.
10. What types of things are so dependent on Quality that they would be significantly changed or nonexistent if Quality did not exist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The allegory of a physical mountain for a spiritual one is quite common in religious literature. In what ways can the Narrator's journey to reconnect with himself be compared to climbing a mountain?
Essay Topic 2
Give and explain three examples of the Narrator's fascination with detail and care.
Essay Topic 3
When Sarah had asked Phaedrus if he was teaching quality, she certainly had no way of knowing what that question would do to him mentally. What do you suppose Sarah had meant when she asked the question?
This section contains 2,050 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)