|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Narrator feels apprehensive about
2. Sylvia begins to ask questions about Chris'
3. The high meadow is welcome like
4. The group crossed the Missouri River at
5. Which tappet needed adjustment?
Short Essay Questions
1. All through chapter 18, Chris pushes himself to keep climbing and to do it at a fairly good rate even though this was his very first mountain climb or even hike into mountains. What was motivating him and why?
2. Goethe's poem captures what may be at stake for the Narrator and Chris on this trip or at this point in their lives. Use the discussion of Chris, the ideas of Phaedrus up to this point, and what is said about the poem to explain how the poem captures what is going on in the Narrator's mind.
3. How do we know that the Narrator has been on this road, in this town, or at this motel before?
4. In what ways was Phaedrus changed by his studies in India? How did his background in science help or hinder him in learning to think like the Orientals?
5. What is symbolized by the riding without helmets and what is symbolized by Chris' standing on the pegs to ride the motorcycle?
6. Why did John and Sylvia get angry with the Narrator?
7. Explain one of his more radical teaching techniques.
8. What does the Narrator mean by referring to Phaedrus' reading of philosophers as the high country of the world of thought?
9. What were the possible reasons John did not want the Narrator to use a beer can to shim his motorcycle handlebars?
10. How had Chris' YMCA camp experience seemingly made him ill-prepared for actual mountain hiking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give and explain three examples of the Narrator's fascination with detail and care.
Essay Topic 2
What does the bottom of the ocean symbolize? Do you think the Narrator and Chris meet there? What do they find out about themselves and each other as they attempt to meet? What is the result?
Essay Topic 3
Various types of evidence can be used as proof of something. Hard evidence of having gone to a concert would be the ticket stub. Memories of what was sung at the concert would be another type of evidence. Intuition that proves true about the best parking spot for the concert is a third type of evidence. Give one example of each of four ways in which the Narrator knows that Phaedrus existed.
This section contains 2,533 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)