|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject did Phaedrus teach at the university?
2. John is interested in
3. Sylvia is frightened by
4. Which of the following is the best description of Phaedrus?
5. In his teaching, an essay was to be developed from the basis of
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on what you have read through chapter 28, by way of predicting an outcome for the book, write a paragraph or two explaining a dream you think the Narrator will have near the end of the book.
2. A society which kills multitudes in wars, pollutes the land and oceans, and destroys the dignity of individuals is said to be a higher society than one that hunts and gathers. How can that be rationally explained?
3. Sentence fragments are exchanged between the Narrator and the young woman who comes into the classroom. What do we learn about rumors concerning Phaedrus (the Narrator) that circulated in the English department? What do you think is the young woman's role at the university at this time?
4. How does the Narrator know that Phaedrus existed?
5. What aspects of teaching were frustrating for Phaedrus?
6. How are the people's faces in the cities different from the people's faces in the rural areas? What is the cause of the difference?
7. In what ways is the phrase "to travel is better than to arrive" appropriate to the Narrator's trip to Bozeman?
8. Why is the Narrator apprehensive about seeing DeWeese?
9. How did the mechanics who had worked on the Narrator's motorcycle prove that caring about what you are doing is essential to doing it right?
10. What are the important points of skill in each part in the scientific methods process?
Essay Topic 1
Give and explain three examples of the Narrator's fascination with detail and care.
Essay Topic 2
What does the Narrator mean when he says "Quality is the point of common understanding between the classic and romantic worlds. . . A real understanding of Quality captures the System, tames it, and puts it to work for one's own personal use, while leaving one completely free to fulfill his inner destiny."
Essay Topic 3
Phaedrus and DeWeese were baffled by, yet intrigued by, each other. Explain. Were there actions or words that caused this?
This section contains 2,384 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)