Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Narrator feels apprehensive about
2. Phaedrus did not understand
3. The plans of Chris and the Narrator are deliberately indefinite so that
4. Phaedrus served in the
5. The ghost that Phaedrus pursued was
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Narrator know that Phaedrus existed?
2. What are some of the things John likes about Miles City, Montana? What do these indicate about the city? About John?
3. Why do you suppose the Narrator calls Phaedrus' office a "find?" Do you think he did not know it was Phaedrus' office when he opened the door?
4. Explain what is meant by "Peace of mind produces right values which produce right thoughts which produce right actions which produce work that is inspiring in its completeness with nature and the human mind."
5. Explain the Narrator's train of knowledge. What do the various parts represent? What cannot be represented in a way you can see it in the train analogy?
6. The breakthrough of blue sky allows the Narrator and Chris to see the top of the ridge they are climbing. At the same time, the Narrator seems to reach a breakthrough in his Chautauqua. What did Phaedrus realize about Quality that was such a breakthrough?
7. Explain one of his more radical teaching techniques.
8. Chapter 30 is a chapter full of defeat: Phaedrus is unburied; the Narrator is on the brink of insanity again; the Narrator has lost touch with Chris; Chris is despondent and frustrated and angry, and Chris is in danger of following in Phaedrus' footsteps into insanity. What glimmer of hope occurs to the Narrator as he tries to deal with Chris' emotions?
9. In what ways was Phaedrus changed by his studies in India? How did his background in science help or hinder him in learning to think like the Orientals?
10. Which question would you prefer to ask your friends: "What's new?" or "What is best?" Which question would you rather have people ask you?
Essay Topic 1
Plato often used names for his characters that suggested the nature of their personalities. When the author chose the name "Phaedrus," he thought it meant wolf. When the Narrator is describing Phaedrus' contemplations, he describes a meeting with a timber wolf (chapter 7). How does the reader come to the conclusion that Phaedrus and wolf have some commonalities? "Phaedrus" actually means brilliant while "lykos" means wolf in Greek. Explain how both wolf and brilliant apply to Phaedrus / the Narrator.
Essay Topic 2
If you have read either 1984 or Brave New World, explain how that book fits with what the Narrator is saying about a world without Quality, a world of "squareness."
Essay Topic 3
What is egotism? In what ways can egotism blind a person to quality? How can egotism get in the way of a person's spiritual journey to understand himself? How was egotism the beginning of all of Phaerus' troubles?
This section contains 1,583 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)