|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John puts on his long underwear and plays
2. When the Narrator found that the thread was stripped in the chain adjustment, he
3. Doctrinal differences among Taoism, Hinduism, and Buddhism
4. Secondary roads are preferred by the Narrator because
5. John wants to camp
Short Essay Questions
1. A society which kills multitudes in wars, pollutes the land and oceans, and destroys the dignity of individuals is said to be a higher society than one that hunts and gathers. How can that be rationally explained?
2. What is a priori knowledge and how are time and space examples of a priori knowledge?
3. What does the Narrator mean by referring to Phaedrus' reading of philosophers as the high country of the world of thought?
4. Why is the Narrator apprehensive about seeing DeWeese?
5. How do the DeWeeses respond to seeing the Narrator again? What are their actions and reactions? What are their emotions and thoughts?
6. How does the Narrator distinguish between European and Native American ghosts?
7. How are the people's faces in the cities different from the people's faces in the rural areas? What is the cause of the difference?
8. Why was Phaedrus repulsed by Yellowstone Park? What do you think is Yellowstone's real-life parallel?
9. The Narrator seems to be descending into an abyss as he relates the details of Phaedrus' descent into a full mental breakdown. Why do you think he quit attending the class with the Chairman and then quit teaching his own classes?
10. How are the tasks that the Narrator and Chris perform related to the discourse of this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Narrator is in a sarcophagus in one part of the book (chapter 23). Earlier he had been in a large, white room. Both had a glass door with his family on the other side. In both cases, Chris wants him to open the door. Why could neither Chris nor his father open the door? What did the door symbolize? What was truly separating them? In one case, the Narrator tells Chris he will meet him at the top of the mountain, but in chapter 23, he says he will see him at the bottom of the ocean. What is the difference? Is there any progress between the two dreams?
Essay Topic 2
What is egotism? In what ways can egotism blind a person to quality? How can egotism get in the way of a person's spiritual journey to understand himself? How was egotism the beginning of all of Phaerus' troubles?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the book, the Narrator does not seem to understand or connect with Chris on any level. He finds Chris' questions irritating and his behavior frustrating and often refuses to try to communicate. Trace the Narrator's relationship with Chris through the book. Give examples of his attitude at various points. At what point in the book do we see that he is becoming more open to Chris? What does he think or say to make us feel that he wants to reach out to Chris?
This section contains 1,808 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)