|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was necessary for Phaedrus to have animal courage to
2. The person who started him thinking about Quality was
3. The stand of pines where the group is camping is the home of
4. A motorcycle mechanic
5. The travelers stay in cabins in Gardiner made by the owner who is a craftsman as evidenced by
Short Essay Questions
1. How do we know that the Narrator has been on this road, in this town, or at this motel before?
2. A society which kills multitudes in wars, pollutes the land and oceans, and destroys the dignity of individuals is said to be a higher society than one that hunts and gathers. How can that be rationally explained?
3. Why did John and Sylvia get angry with the Narrator?
4. What are the important points of skill in each part in the scientific methods process?
5. What is a priori knowledge and how are time and space examples of a priori knowledge?
6. In chapter 13, the Narrator talks about Phaedrus' lecture about the "real university." What is a "real university" or a "real high school?" Start by explaining what a "real university" or a "real high school" is not. What is the primary goal of the "real university" or "real high school?"
7. In what ways was Phaedrus changed by his studies in India? How did his background in science help or hinder him in learning to think like the Orientals?
8. What was the Narrator attempting to accomplish when he ferried the backpacks and when he re-packed the backpacks? Do you think he accomplished what he attempted?
9. What does the Narrator mean by the term "squareness?"
10. What are some of the things John likes about Miles City, Montana? What do these indicate about the city? About John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is egotism? In what ways can egotism blind a person to quality? How can egotism get in the way of a person's spiritual journey to understand himself? How was egotism the beginning of all of Phaerus' troubles?
Essay Topic 2
What does the bottom of the ocean symbolize? Do you think the Narrator and Chris meet there? What do they find out about themselves and each other as they attempt to meet? What is the result?
Essay Topic 3
What does the Narrator mean when he says "Quality is the point of common understanding between the classic and romantic worlds. . . A real understanding of Quality captures the System, tames it, and puts it to work for one's own personal use, while leaving one completely free to fulfill his inner destiny."
This section contains 2,490 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)