|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The predicted results of scientific inquiry and the actual results of scientific inquiry are
2. How does the Narrator know a storm is coming?
3. Riding in a car is different from riding on a motorcycle because
4. The purpose of Annihilation ECS was
5. The Narrator says that some cultures believe in ghosts in the same way that other cultures
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Narrator's personality theory of motorcycles? (How does a motorcycle acquire a unique personality? What makes up a motorcycle's personality?)
2. What are some of the things John likes about Miles City, Montana? What do these indicate about the city? About John?
3. Why did John and Sylvia get angry with the Narrator?
4. A society which kills multitudes in wars, pollutes the land and oceans, and destroys the dignity of individuals is said to be a higher society than one that hunts and gathers. How can that be rationally explained?
5. How did Phaedrus stimulate students to think for themselves?
6. The Narrator says that the ghost Phaedrus pursued appeared incoherent and meaningless, causing the most normal of everyday acts to seem slightly mad. What everyday assumptions and purposes caused this?
7. How does the Narrator show that Phaedrus is becoming more and more mentally unbalanced (insane)? Trace some of the ideas and words that help us understand that he is losing touch with reality and thinks he is a type of god.
8. Which question would you prefer to ask your friends: "What's new?" or "What is best?" Which question would you rather have people ask you?
9. How do we know that the Narrator has been on this road, in this town, or at this motel before?
10. What types of things are so dependent on Quality that they would be significantly changed or nonexistent if Quality did not exist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is egotism? In what ways can egotism blind a person to quality? How can egotism get in the way of a person's spiritual journey to understand himself? How was egotism the beginning of all of Phaerus' troubles?
Essay Topic 2
What does Chris want to "go back" to? What does he miss? Is it possible for him, or for them, to go back? Why or why not? What will it take to go forward?
Essay Topic 3
At what point in the book did you realize that Phaedrus and the Narrator are the same person? What clues are given? At what point do the two actually merge into one and the same person in the book? Give reasons for your answer.
This section contains 2,127 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)