|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A topsy-turvy feeling of inadequacy results when
(a) old forms of thought do not give people a way to deal with new experiences.
(b) occultism, mysticism, and mind-altering drug use are widespread.
(c) instantaneous rates of change create hang-ups.
(d) a new world is discovered by Columbus.
2. Why does the Narrator almost leave the building with Chris?
(a) He hears a car go by.
(b) He sees someone he doesn't want to talk with.
(c) He is afraid he will see Phaedrus.
(d) He sees how frightened Chris is.
3. The parts of a motorcycle form a
(b) scientific method.
4. Phaedrus' academic goal in University was to
(a) major in philosophy.
(b) major in journalism.
(c) major in molecular biology.
(d) major in chemistry.
5. The kind of truth one seems to see out of the corner of one's eye or when the procedure goes haywire is called
(a) literal truth.
(b) frontal truth.
(c) bilateral truth.
(d) lateral truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. The plans of Chris and the Narrator are deliberately indefinite so that
2. Who are the four people riding motorcycles on a journey?
3. The real university according to Phaedrus
4. A turning point in Phaedrus' life came about the time he saw
5. Academic freedom was threatened by all EXCEPT
Short Essay Questions
1. The Narrator seems to be descending into an abyss as he relates the details of Phaedrus' descent into a full mental breakdown. Why do you think he quit attending the class with the Chairman and then quit teaching his own classes?
2. What types of things are so dependent on Quality that they would be significantly changed or nonexistent if Quality did not exist?
3. What reasons did the Narrator (Phaedrus) have for feeling deep kinship with students who were failing his classes? How was he like them? How was he different from them?
4. What aspects of teaching were frustrating for Phaedrus?
5. Which question would you prefer to ask your friends: "What's new?" or "What is best?" Which question would you rather have people ask you?
6. All through chapter 18, Chris pushes himself to keep climbing and to do it at a fairly good rate even though this was his very first mountain climb or even hike into mountains. What was motivating him and why?
7. Why did the thought of teaching Quality seem so confusing, yet so appealing, to him?
8. Why did John and Sylvia get angry with the Narrator?
9. What evidence is there that the Sutherlands and the Narrator disagree about technology?
10. What is a priori knowledge and how are time and space examples of a priori knowledge?
This section contains 2,365 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)