|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Phaedrus has talked about as Quality, Socrates describes as
(a) the god-head.
(b) the Oneness.
(c) the mind.
(d) the soul.
2. The second phase of Phaedrus' exploration into the meaning of Quality included all EXCEPT
(a) a trip to the mountains for rest and relaxation.
(b) an large hierarchical structure of thought.
(c) the loss of everything tangible in his life.
(d) a nervous breakdown.
3. The Immortal Principle was NOT called
(a) rock by Piney.
(b) fire by Heraclitus.
(c) air by Anaximenes.
(d) water by Thales.
4. The Narrator is beginning to work out ways to
(a) connect with Chris.
(b) maintain his motorcycle.
(c) connect with his reader.
(d) explain his point of view about Quality.
5. A sarcophagus is
(a) a piece of striated muscle.
(b) a dinosaur.
(c) a limestone coffin.
(d) a room in an insane asylum.
6. Quality was kept undefined by definition in order to
(a) discover a cancer cure.
(b) send a message to the English department.
(c) quiet the estheticians.
(d) eliminate it from the analytical process.
7. Phaedrus used the number zero as a means of showing
(a) scientific materialism.
(b) subjective elimination.
(c) classic formalism.
(d) reductio ad absurdum.
8. Which of the following did NOT draw up a system of geometry?
9. The concept that "a thing exists if a world without it can't function normally" is which branch of philosophy?
10. According to the Narrator, the twentieth century is characterized by
(a) a search for Quality.
(b) a desire to make Religion, Science and Art agree.
(c) a chaotic, disconnected spirit.
(d) a search for the truth.
11. The resolution of specific problems of conscience, duty or conduct by using or interpreting ethical principles or religious doctrines is called
12. Chris found some funny plants out on the rocks in the ocean, but it turned out the plants were really animals called
(a) sea anemones.
13. The Professor of Philosophy tried to
(a) warn all the students not to aks questsions.
(b) scare the students into reading and studying.
(c) cut Phaedrus down.
(d) shame the student who asked the question.
14. Why does Chris think Chicago was better?
(a) His father was in the hospital.
(b) He had more friends in the city.
(c) His father told stories and played games with him.
(d) His father was gone all the time.
15. The forest near the bottom of the canyon consists mainly of
(d) broad-leafed trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Phaedrus was sure he had found the right Ph.D. program, he discovered that his thesis idea was opposed to the views of
2. Phaedrus was admitted to the program, but
3. When you are stuck
4. What does the Narrator really want to do with the shadowy figure in his dreams?
5. If Quality exists in the object,
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)