|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Phaedrus decided that schools teach people to
2. The first phase of Phaedrus' exploration into the meaning of the term Quality was
(a) a frustrating and maddening phase.
(b) a creative and fulfilling phase.
(c) a rigid and structured phase.
(d) a very unhappy phase.
3. When Phaedrus reads "Phaedrus" he is impressed by
(a) the double meanings of the words.
(b) the poetic imagery.
(c) the condemning spirit.
(d) the emotions expressed.
4. What Phaedrus has talked about as Quality, Socrates describes as
(a) the soul.
(b) the god-head.
(c) the mind.
(d) the Oneness.
5. The resolution of specific problems of conscience, duty or conduct by using or interpreting ethical principles or religious doctrines is called
6. Dialectic pertains to all the following EXCEPT
(a) the nature of the dialogue.
(b) a part of rhetoric.
(c) a method for arriving at truth.
(d) a conversation between two persons.
7. The three rhetorical options Phaedrus had available to him included all EXCEPT
(a) throw sand in the bull's eyes.
(b) attempt to sing the bull to sleep.
(c) impale himself on one of the bull's horns.
(d) refuse to enter the arena with the bull.
8. The Professor of Philosophy tried to
(a) warn all the students not to aks questsions.
(b) scare the students into reading and studying.
(c) cut Phaedrus down.
(d) shame the student who asked the question.
9. The book that the Narrator tries to read with Chris is
(a) Walden by Henry David Thoreau
(b) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
(c) 1984 by George Orwell
(d) Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
10. All institutions of the System are based on
(a) individual weakness.
(b) the ability to teach.
(c) intelligent beings.
(d) the Church of Reason.
11. A sarcophagus is
(a) a piece of striated muscle.
(b) a room in an insane asylum.
(c) a limestone coffin.
(d) a dinosaur.
12. Quality was kept undefined by definition in order to
(a) discover a cancer cure.
(b) send a message to the English department.
(c) eliminate it from the analytical process.
(d) quiet the estheticians.
13. When you are stuck
(a) you are at the front end of the train of knowledge, at the track of reality.
(b) the train of knowledge is of no help to you.
(c) you are at the back end of the train of knowledge on the track to reality.
(d) you are the engineer of the train of knowledge seeing far into the distance.
14. Which of the following is NOT a description of a world without Quality?
(a) Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
(b) 1984 by George Orwell
(c) Communist Russia
(d) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
15. Which of the following did NOT draw up a system of geometry?
Short Answer Questions
1. If Quality is subtracted from the marketplace,
2. Phaedrus was admitted to the program, but
3. A branch of philosophy concerned with the definition of Quality is known as
4. The Narrator is so busy with his Chautauqua that he
5. Phaedrus used the number zero as a means of showing
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)