|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A sarcophagus is
(a) a piece of striated muscle.
(b) a room in an insane asylum.
(c) a limestone coffin.
(d) a dinosaur.
2. Phaedrus decided that schools teach people to
3. Which is NOT a way in which the Narrator knows that Chris is exhausted?
(a) His face is flushed.
(b) He is walking faster and faster.
(c) He does not look at his father.
(d) His expression is distant.
4. Value is all the following EXCEPT
(a) the predecessor of structure.
(b) the preintellectual awareness.
(c) an irrelevant off-shoot of structure.
(d) the leading edge of reality.
5. The resolution of specific problems of conscience, duty or conduct by using or interpreting ethical principles or religious doctrines is called
6. What does the Narrator really want to do with the shadowy figure in his dreams?
(a) Talk to him
(b) Kill him
(c) See him
(d) Avoid him
7. At the end of the chapter,
(a) they climb up out of a canyon through a hundred hairpin turns.
(b) they stop to look into and across the enormous canyon.
(c) they passed hundreds of antlike cars in the canyon.
(d) they descend into a canyon through a series of hairpin turns.
8. The Immortal Principle was NOT called
(a) water by Thales.
(b) air by Anaximenes.
(c) fire by Heraclitus.
(d) rock by Piney.
9. Which of the following did NOT draw up a system of geometry?
10. The Narrator first helps Chris' tiredness by
(a) teaching Chris to use an aspen pole.
(b) ferrying the backpacks up the mountainside.
(c) putting all the heavy stuff in one backpack.
(d) having Chris eat lunch and take a nap.
11. Without the Sutherlands
(a) it is very lonely.
(b) Chris and his dad talk more.
(c) it is more peaceful.
(d) Chris becomes withdrawn.
12. The most frustrating muscle trap is
(a) inadequate tools.
(b) parts problems.
(c) bad surroundings.
13. When Chris falls down, he
(a) begs to go back.
(b) is injured.
(c) gets angry.
(d) starts crying.
14. The first phase of Phaedrus' exploration into the meaning of the term Quality was
(a) a frustrating and maddening phase.
(b) a very unhappy phase.
(c) a creative and fulfilling phase.
(d) a rigid and structured phase.
15. The forest near the bottom of the canyon consists mainly of
(b) broad-leafed trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. The shadowy figure keeping the Narrator from opening the door in his dreams is
2. The idea of eliminating degrees and grades
3. When Quality is subtracted from the world as Phaedrus knew it, he discovered that the fine arts disappeared. What else disappeared?
4. What does Chris want to know about his father?
5. Phaedrus was a student at
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)