|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Professor of Philosophy tried to
(a) cut Phaedrus down.
(b) warn all the students not to aks questsions.
(c) scare the students into reading and studying.
(d) shame the student who asked the question.
2. The Narrator has tried to reassemble the fragments of Phaedrus' thinking by
(a) asking lots of questions of his wife and friends.
(b) jotting down everything he knows or is told.
(c) sorting through many boxes of papers.
(d) going every place Phaedrus went.
3. The forest near the bottom of the canyon consists mainly of
(d) broad-leafed trees.
4. Signs that Phaedrus' life is unraveling include all EXCEPT
(a) he forgets about food and exercise.
(b) he loses touch with his students.
(c) he gets less and less sleep.
(d) he is more affected by his children's needs..
5. Chris found some funny plants out on the rocks in the ocean, but it turned out the plants were really animals called
(a) sea anemones.
6. Which of the following is NOT a description of a world without Quality?
(a) Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
(b) 1984 by George Orwell
(c) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
(d) Communist Russia
7. A sarcophagus is
(a) a limestone coffin.
(b) a piece of striated muscle.
(c) a dinosaur.
(d) a room in an insane asylum.
8. The hyped-up, supermodern style of life is another
9. The shadowy figure keeping the Narrator from opening the door in his dreams is
(b) Chris' mother.
(c) the Narrator.
10. Phaedrus used the number zero as a means of showing
(a) classic formalism.
(b) scientific materialism.
(c) subjective elimination.
(d) reductio ad absurdum.
11. The Sophists taught
(a) ethical absolutes.
(b) relativity in all ethical ideas.
(c) oneness with God and nature.
(d) man is the source of all things.
12. The Narrator becomes scared and decides NOT to
(a) check himself into a hospital.
(b) ride the cycle back to Minnesota.
(c) send Chris home on a bus.
(d) sell the motorcycle in San Francisco.
13. The Narrator and Chris are planning to hike for
(a) two days.
(b) three days.
(c) five days.
(d) nine days.
14. Which of the following is NOT one of the levels of inner peace of mind?
(a) Physical quietness
(b) Mental quietness
(c) Value quietness
(d) Spiritual quietness
15. The idea of eliminating degrees and grades
(a) became a demonstrator for persuasive writing.
(b) was embraced by the student body.
(c) was enacted by the university.
(d) was not popular among the faculty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Phaedrus was admitted to the program, but
2. Dialectic pertains to all the following EXCEPT
3. According to the Narrator, the twentieth century is characterized by
4. The Narrator is so busy with his Chautauqua that he
5. When you are stuck
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)