|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If a person's motorcycle backfires sometimes, what type of gumption trap would that be?
(a) Intermettent failure
(b) Muscular insensitivity
2. The concept that "a thing exists if a world without it can't function normally" is which branch of philosophy?
3. Poincaré's "subliminal self" corresponds to Phaedrus'
(a) esthetic feeling.
(b) preintellectual awareness.
(c) Intellectual reality.
(d) domain of consciousness.
4. The book that the Narrator tries to read with Chris is
(a) 1984 by George Orwell
(b) Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
(c) Walden by Henry David Thoreau
(d) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
5. Value is all the following EXCEPT
(a) the preintellectual awareness.
(b) the leading edge of reality.
(c) an irrelevant off-shoot of structure.
(d) the predecessor of structure.
6. When Phaedrus reads "Phaedrus" he is impressed by
(a) the emotions expressed.
(b) the poetic imagery.
(c) the double meanings of the words.
(d) the condemning spirit.
7. Quality was kept undefined by definition in order to
(a) send a message to the English department.
(b) discover a cancer cure.
(c) quiet the estheticians.
(d) eliminate it from the analytical process.
8. When the Narrator and Chris switched from a federal to a state highway, the scenery
(a) changed to rolling hills and creeks.
(b) changed to old, weathered buildings surrounded by grass and wildflowers.
(c) changed to high plateaus and canyons.
(d) changed to high-tech factories and shopping centers.
9. Which of the following did NOT draw up a system of geometry?
10. The Chairman skips Socrates' description of
(a) the horse.
(b) the Truth.
(c) the One.
(d) the allegory.
11. At the end of the chapter,
(a) they climb up out of a canyon through a hundred hairpin turns.
(b) they stop to look into and across the enormous canyon.
(c) they passed hundreds of antlike cars in the canyon.
(d) they descend into a canyon through a series of hairpin turns.
12. Dialectic pertains to all the following EXCEPT
(a) a part of rhetoric.
(b) a conversation between two persons.
(c) a method for arriving at truth.
(d) the nature of the dialogue.
13. Phaedrus decided that schools teach people to
14. When Chris falls down, he
(a) begs to go back.
(b) starts crying.
(c) gets angry.
(d) is injured.
15. If Quality exists in the object,
(a) people should be able to see and feel it.
(b) scientific instruments should be able to detect and measure it.
(c) Phaedrus should be able to define it.
(d) it is just a fancy name for a bunch of nonsense.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Narrator, the twentieth century is characterized by
2. The resolution of specific problems of conscience, duty or conduct by using or interpreting ethical principles or religious doctrines is called
3. In the "train of knowledge" analogy
4. The hyped-up, supermodern style of life is another
5. A branch of philosophy concerned with the definition of Quality is known as
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)