|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first phase of Phaedrus' exploration into the meaning of the term Quality was
(a) a rigid and structured phase.
(b) a frustrating and maddening phase.
(c) a creative and fulfilling phase.
(d) a very unhappy phase.
2. Dialectic pertains to all the following EXCEPT
(a) a part of rhetoric.
(b) a conversation between two persons.
(c) the nature of the dialogue.
(d) a method for arriving at truth.
3. Phaedrus used the number zero as a means of showing
(a) subjective elimination.
(b) reductio ad absurdum.
(c) scientific materialism.
(d) classic formalism.
4. The resolution of specific problems of conscience, duty or conduct by using or interpreting ethical principles or religious doctrines is called
5. The most frustrating muscle trap is
(a) inadequate tools.
(b) parts problems.
(d) bad surroundings.
6. The hyped-up, supermodern style of life is another
7. Although Phaedrus was sure he had found the right Ph.D. program, he discovered that his thesis idea was opposed to the views of
(a) the professor of Greek.
(b) the professor of Philosophy.
(c) the professor of Chinese.
(d) the professor of English.
8. The Narrator compares climbing the mountain to
(a) a higher society to be reached.
(b) a hardship to be overcome.
(c) a spiritual goal to be reached.
(d) a maze to find one's way through life.
9. When Quality is subtracted, all EXCEPT the following are true:
(a) Purely intellectual pursuits are fairly unaffected.
(b) Rationality is essentially unchanged.
(c) The world cannot function.
(d) Life becomes very dull and uninteresting.
10. When you are stuck
(a) you are at the front end of the train of knowledge, at the track of reality.
(b) you are at the back end of the train of knowledge on the track to reality.
(c) you are the engineer of the train of knowledge seeing far into the distance.
(d) the train of knowledge is of no help to you.
11. Which of the following is NOT a description of a world without Quality?
(a) Communist Russia
(b) 1984 by George Orwell
(c) Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
(d) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
12. Which of the following is NOT one of the levels of inner peace of mind?
(a) Spiritual quietness
(b) Mental quietness
(c) Value quietness
(d) Physical quietness
13. A sarcophagus is
(a) a room in an insane asylum.
(b) a piece of striated muscle.
(c) a dinosaur.
(d) a limestone coffin.
14. A branch of philosophy concerned with the definition of Quality is known as
15. Chris found some funny plants out on the rocks in the ocean, but it turned out the plants were really animals called
(c) sea anemones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Quality was kept undefined by definition in order to
2. Quality is the
3. When Quality is subtracted from the world as Phaedrus knew it, he discovered that the fine arts disappeared. What else disappeared?
4. The concept that "a thing exists if a world without it can't function normally" is which branch of philosophy?
5. The second phase of Phaedrus' exploration into the meaning of Quality included all EXCEPT
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)