|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Phaedrus was sure he had found the right Ph.D. program, he discovered that his thesis idea was opposed to the views of
(a) the professor of Philosophy.
(b) the professor of Chinese.
(c) the professor of English.
(d) the professor of Greek.
2. In many classrooms today, you will hear teachers who name, divide, subdivide, interrelate, and establish "principles" and study "methods" as if they are speaking with the voice of
3. At the end of the chapter,
(a) they stop to look into and across the enormous canyon.
(b) they passed hundreds of antlike cars in the canyon.
(c) they climb up out of a canyon through a hundred hairpin turns.
(d) they descend into a canyon through a series of hairpin turns.
4. In the "train of knowledge" analogy
(a) Romantic Knowledge is the leading edge of the engine.
(b) Classic Knowledge is the train's caboose.
(c) the train must be stopped for the analogy to work.
(d) Romantic Knowledge is the train track.
5. The Immortal Principle was NOT called
(a) air by Anaximenes.
(b) fire by Heraclitus.
(c) rock by Piney.
(d) water by Thales.
6. Value is all the following EXCEPT
(a) the leading edge of reality.
(b) the predecessor of structure.
(c) an irrelevant off-shoot of structure.
(d) the preintellectual awareness.
7. When the student could not write an essay on Bozeman, Phaedrus told her to
(a) write an essay on one brick.
(b) write an essay on the United States.
(c) write an essay on the main street of Bozeman.
(d) leave the class and not come back until it was written.
8. The second phase of Phaedrus' exploration into the meaning of Quality included all EXCEPT
(a) a nervous breakdown.
(b) a trip to the mountains for rest and relaxation.
(c) the loss of everything tangible in his life.
(d) an large hierarchical structure of thought.
9. The Narrator first helps Chris' tiredness by
(a) having Chris eat lunch and take a nap.
(b) teaching Chris to use an aspen pole.
(c) putting all the heavy stuff in one backpack.
(d) ferrying the backpacks up the mountainside.
10. Dialectic pertains to all the following EXCEPT
(a) a method for arriving at truth.
(b) a conversation between two persons.
(c) a part of rhetoric.
(d) the nature of the dialogue.
11. Phaedrus used the number zero as a means of showing
(a) subjective elimination.
(b) reductio ad absurdum.
(c) classic formalism.
(d) scientific materialism.
12. When Chris falls down, he
(a) begs to go back.
(b) starts crying.
(c) is injured.
(d) gets angry.
13. A branch of philosophy concerned with the definition of Quality is known as
14. The hyped-up, supermodern style of life is another
15. When Quality is subtracted from the world as Phaedrus knew it, he discovered that the fine arts disappeared. What else disappeared?
(a) entertainment and flavors
(b) values and purpose
(c) work and sports
(d) science and technology
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements about modern technology was NOT part of the Narrator's feelings?
2. The first phase of Phaedrus' exploration into the meaning of the term Quality was
3. When the Narrator and Chris switched from a federal to a state highway, the scenery
4. The book that the Narrator tries to read with Chris is
5. The Sophists taught
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)