|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Chairman skips Socrates' description of
(a) the allegory.
(b) the horse.
(c) the Truth.
(d) the One.
2. The three rhetorical options Phaedrus had available to him included all EXCEPT
(a) refuse to enter the arena with the bull.
(b) attempt to sing the bull to sleep.
(c) throw sand in the bull's eyes.
(d) impale himself on one of the bull's horns.
3. When the Narrator and Chris switched from a federal to a state highway, the scenery
(a) changed to old, weathered buildings surrounded by grass and wildflowers.
(b) changed to rolling hills and creeks.
(c) changed to high plateaus and canyons.
(d) changed to high-tech factories and shopping centers.
4. Chris found some funny plants out on the rocks in the ocean, but it turned out the plants were really animals called
(b) sea anemones.
5. The Narrator is so busy with his Chautauqua that he
(a) gets separated from Chris.
(b) does not interact with Chris.
(c) allows Chris to get hurt.
(d) falls part way down the mountain.
6. Which is NOT a way in which the Narrator knows that Chris is exhausted?
(a) His expression is distant.
(b) He does not look at his father.
(c) He is walking faster and faster.
(d) His face is flushed.
7. All institutions of the System are based on
(a) intelligent beings.
(b) individual weakness.
(c) the Church of Reason.
(d) the ability to teach.
8. Quality is
(a) what others like.
(b) a measure of worth or goodness.
(c) a trait like hardness or color.
(d) what you like.
9. Which of the following did NOT draw up a system of geometry?
10. The person whose philosophy seemed to fit closely to the other side of Phaedrus' philosophy was
(a) Henri Toulouse-Lautrec
(b) Jules Henri Poincaré
(c) Robinson Crusoe
(d) Bertrand Russell
11. Dialectic pertains to all the following EXCEPT
(a) a method for arriving at truth.
(b) a conversation between two persons.
(c) the nature of the dialogue.
(d) a part of rhetoric.
12. According to the Narrator, the twentieth century is characterized by
(a) a desire to make Religion, Science and Art agree.
(b) a search for the truth.
(c) a search for Quality.
(d) a chaotic, disconnected spirit.
13. The Narrator first helps Chris' tiredness by
(a) having Chris eat lunch and take a nap.
(b) ferrying the backpacks up the mountainside.
(c) teaching Chris to use an aspen pole.
(d) putting all the heavy stuff in one backpack.
14. Without the Sutherlands
(a) it is more peaceful.
(b) Chris and his dad talk more.
(c) Chris becomes withdrawn.
(d) it is very lonely.
15. The Narrator has tried to reassemble the fragments of Phaedrus' thinking by
(a) going every place Phaedrus went.
(b) sorting through many boxes of papers.
(c) asking lots of questions of his wife and friends.
(d) jotting down everything he knows or is told.
Short Answer Questions
1. The idea of eliminating degrees and grades
2. The first phase of Phaedrus' exploration into the meaning of the term Quality was
3. Phaedrus was admitted to the program, but
4. Signs that Phaedrus' life is unraveling include all EXCEPT
5. Poincaré's "subliminal self" corresponds to Phaedrus'
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)