|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Phaedrus used the number zero as a means of showing
(a) subjective elimination.
(b) scientific materialism.
(c) classic formalism.
(d) reductio ad absurdum.
2. If Quality exists in the object,
(a) people should be able to see and feel it.
(b) it is just a fancy name for a bunch of nonsense.
(c) scientific instruments should be able to detect and measure it.
(d) Phaedrus should be able to define it.
3. The Narrator becomes scared and decides NOT to
(a) send Chris home on a bus.
(b) ride the cycle back to Minnesota.
(c) sell the motorcycle in San Francisco.
(d) check himself into a hospital.
4. When Phaedrus reads "Phaedrus" he is impressed by
(a) the double meanings of the words.
(b) the poetic imagery.
(c) the emotions expressed.
(d) the condemning spirit.
5. The Immortal Principle was NOT called
(a) fire by Heraclitus.
(b) rock by Piney.
(c) air by Anaximenes.
(d) water by Thales.
6. The Sophists taught
(a) man is the source of all things.
(b) relativity in all ethical ideas.
(c) oneness with God and nature.
(d) ethical absolutes.
7. Which is NOT a way in which the Narrator knows that Chris is exhausted?
(a) His face is flushed.
(b) He does not look at his father.
(c) He is walking faster and faster.
(d) His expression is distant.
8. Which of the following is NOT a description of a world without Quality?
(a) Communist Russia
(b) Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
(c) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
(d) 1984 by George Orwell
9. In many classrooms today, you will hear teachers who name, divide, subdivide, interrelate, and establish "principles" and study "methods" as if they are speaking with the voice of
10. Quality is
(a) what you like.
(b) what others like.
(c) a measure of worth or goodness.
(d) a trait like hardness or color.
11. The Narrator has tried to reassemble the fragments of Phaedrus' thinking by
(a) sorting through many boxes of papers.
(b) jotting down everything he knows or is told.
(c) asking lots of questions of his wife and friends.
(d) going every place Phaedrus went.
12. Which of the following did NOT draw up a system of geometry?
13. All institutions of the System are based on
(a) intelligent beings.
(b) the ability to teach.
(c) the Church of Reason.
(d) individual weakness.
14. Phaedrus was admitted to the program, but
(a) was thrown out of the program.
(b) decided not to go to the school.
(c) wanted into a different program.
(d) was given a large scholarship.
15. When you are stuck
(a) you are at the front end of the train of knowledge, at the track of reality.
(b) the train of knowledge is of no help to you.
(c) you are at the back end of the train of knowledge on the track to reality.
(d) you are the engineer of the train of knowledge seeing far into the distance.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Narrator compares climbing the mountain to
2. Chris found some funny plants out on the rocks in the ocean, but it turned out the plants were really animals called
3. Without the Sutherlands
4. The idea of eliminating degrees and grades
5. At the end of the chapter,
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)