|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chris falls down, he
(a) begs to go back.
(b) starts crying.
(c) gets angry.
(d) is injured.
2. Poincaré's "subliminal self" corresponds to Phaedrus'
(a) esthetic feeling.
(b) Intellectual reality.
(c) domain of consciousness.
(d) preintellectual awareness.
3. Which of the following statements about modern technology was NOT part of the Narrator's feelings?
(a) The creator of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
(b) The viewer of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
(c) The user of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
(d) The owner of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
4. The book that the Narrator tries to read with Chris is
(a) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
(b) 1984 by George Orwell
(c) Walden by Henry David Thoreau
(d) Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
5. The resolution of specific problems of conscience, duty or conduct by using or interpreting ethical principles or religious doctrines is called
6. What does Chris want to know about his father?
(a) how he knows how to cook.
(b) what he thinks will happen at the end of the hike.
(c) how he became a good mountain hiker.
(d) what he thinks about all the time.
7. In many classrooms today, you will hear teachers who name, divide, subdivide, interrelate, and establish "principles" and study "methods" as if they are speaking with the voice of
8. What does the Narrator really want to do with the shadowy figure in his dreams?
(a) See him
(b) Talk to him
(c) Avoid him
(d) Kill him
9. The hyped-up, supermodern style of life is another
10. When the student could not write an essay on Bozeman, Phaedrus told her to
(a) write an essay on the main street of Bozeman.
(b) leave the class and not come back until it was written.
(c) write an essay on the United States.
(d) write an essay on one brick.
11. The Professor of Philosophy tried to
(a) warn all the students not to aks questsions.
(b) scare the students into reading and studying.
(c) cut Phaedrus down.
(d) shame the student who asked the question.
12. When Phaedrus reads "Phaedrus" he is impressed by
(a) the poetic imagery.
(b) the double meanings of the words.
(c) the condemning spirit.
(d) the emotions expressed.
13. The shadowy figure keeping the Narrator from opening the door in his dreams is
(a) Chris' mother.
(c) the Narrator.
14. The Chairman skips Socrates' description of
(a) the One.
(b) the horse.
(c) the allegory.
(d) the Truth.
15. Quality was kept undefined by definition in order to
(a) eliminate it from the analytical process.
(b) send a message to the English department.
(c) quiet the estheticians.
(d) discover a cancer cure.
Short Answer Questions
1. The forest near the bottom of the canyon consists mainly of
2. The Narrator has tried to reassemble the fragments of Phaedrus' thinking by
3. The Narrator compares climbing the mountain to
4. The idea of eliminating degrees and grades
5. The Sophists taught
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)