|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The most frustrating muscle trap is
(b) inadequate tools.
(c) parts problems.
(d) bad surroundings.
2. When Quality is subtracted, all EXCEPT the following are true:
(a) The world cannot function.
(b) Purely intellectual pursuits are fairly unaffected.
(c) Life becomes very dull and uninteresting.
(d) Rationality is essentially unchanged.
3. When the student could not write an essay on Bozeman, Phaedrus told her to
(a) leave the class and not come back until it was written.
(b) write an essay on the United States.
(c) write an essay on one brick.
(d) write an essay on the main street of Bozeman.
4. All institutions of the System are based on
(a) individual weakness.
(b) intelligent beings.
(c) the ability to teach.
(d) the Church of Reason.
5. If Quality exists in the object,
(a) people should be able to see and feel it.
(b) scientific instruments should be able to detect and measure it.
(c) it is just a fancy name for a bunch of nonsense.
(d) Phaedrus should be able to define it.
6. When Chris falls down, he
(a) begs to go back.
(b) is injured.
(c) starts crying.
(d) gets angry.
7. The Sophists taught
(a) man is the source of all things.
(b) oneness with God and nature.
(c) ethical absolutes.
(d) relativity in all ethical ideas.
8. The Narrator first helps Chris' tiredness by
(a) teaching Chris to use an aspen pole.
(b) having Chris eat lunch and take a nap.
(c) ferrying the backpacks up the mountainside.
(d) putting all the heavy stuff in one backpack.
9. The Immortal Principle was NOT called
(a) water by Thales.
(b) rock by Piney.
(c) air by Anaximenes.
(d) fire by Heraclitus.
10. If Quality is subtracted from the marketplace,
(a) beverages would taste better.
(b) only basic, tasteless necessities would be carried by grocery stores.
(c) G.I. shoes would become unavailable.
(d) more tasteful foods would be available in grocery stores.
11. When you are stuck
(a) you are at the front end of the train of knowledge, at the track of reality.
(b) you are at the back end of the train of knowledge on the track to reality.
(c) the train of knowledge is of no help to you.
(d) you are the engineer of the train of knowledge seeing far into the distance.
12. The Narrator is so busy with his Chautauqua that he
(a) gets separated from Chris.
(b) falls part way down the mountain.
(c) allows Chris to get hurt.
(d) does not interact with Chris.
13. Quality was kept undefined by definition in order to
(a) discover a cancer cure.
(b) eliminate it from the analytical process.
(c) send a message to the English department.
(d) quiet the estheticians.
14. The Narrator tells a story about camping in the mountains and being surprised by a
15. The Chairman skips Socrates' description of
(a) the horse.
(b) the Truth.
(c) the allegory.
(d) the One.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Narrator really want to do with the shadowy figure in his dreams?
2. All of the following are synonyms for "metaphysical" EXCEPT
3. The resolution of specific problems of conscience, duty or conduct by using or interpreting ethical principles or religious doctrines is called
4. The Narrator is beginning to work out ways to
5. Value is all the following EXCEPT
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)