|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The hyped-up, supermodern style of life is another
2. Poincaré's "subliminal self" corresponds to Phaedrus'
(a) esthetic feeling.
(b) preintellectual awareness.
(c) domain of consciousness.
(d) Intellectual reality.
3. The Professor of Philosophy tried to
(a) cut Phaedrus down.
(b) warn all the students not to aks questsions.
(c) scare the students into reading and studying.
(d) shame the student who asked the question.
4. Signs that Phaedrus' life is unraveling include all EXCEPT
(a) he forgets about food and exercise.
(b) he is more affected by his children's needs..
(c) he gets less and less sleep.
(d) he loses touch with his students.
5. Quality is the
(a) internal aspect of caring.
(b) external aspect of caring.
(c) external aspect of stuckness.
(d) internal aspect of stuckness.
6. When Phaedrus reads "Phaedrus" he is impressed by
(a) the condemning spirit.
(b) the poetic imagery.
(c) the double meanings of the words.
(d) the emotions expressed.
7. All institutions of the System are based on
(a) the ability to teach.
(b) the Church of Reason.
(c) individual weakness.
(d) intelligent beings.
8. A branch of philosophy concerned with the definition of Quality is known as
9. Phaedrus broke the syndrome of "nothing to say" by having students write about
(a) the idea of quality.
(c) the back of their thumb.
(d) the main street of Bozeman.
10. Value is all the following EXCEPT
(a) the leading edge of reality.
(b) an irrelevant off-shoot of structure.
(c) the predecessor of structure.
(d) the preintellectual awareness.
11. The Narrator has tried to reassemble the fragments of Phaedrus' thinking by
(a) sorting through many boxes of papers.
(b) going every place Phaedrus went.
(c) jotting down everything he knows or is told.
(d) asking lots of questions of his wife and friends.
12. If a person's motorcycle backfires sometimes, what type of gumption trap would that be?
(a) Muscular insensitivity
(b) Intermettent failure
13. Which of the following statements about modern technology was NOT part of the Narrator's feelings?
(a) The creator of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
(b) The owner of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
(c) The viewer of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
(d) The user of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
14. The person whose philosophy seemed to fit closely to the other side of Phaedrus' philosophy was
(a) Robinson Crusoe
(b) Bertrand Russell
(c) Henri Toulouse-Lautrec
(d) Jules Henri Poincaré
15. The Narrator compares climbing the mountain to
(a) a higher society to be reached.
(b) a maze to find one's way through life.
(c) a spiritual goal to be reached.
(d) a hardship to be overcome.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Sophists taught
2. The Narrator and Chris are planning to hike for
3. What Phaedrus has talked about as Quality, Socrates describes as
4. If Quality is subtracted from the marketplace,
5. In many classrooms today, you will hear teachers who name, divide, subdivide, interrelate, and establish "principles" and study "methods" as if they are speaking with the voice of
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)