|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Quality is subtracted, all EXCEPT the following are true:
(a) The world cannot function.
(b) Purely intellectual pursuits are fairly unaffected.
(c) Rationality is essentially unchanged.
(d) Life becomes very dull and uninteresting.
2. The second phase of Phaedrus' exploration into the meaning of Quality included all EXCEPT
(a) an large hierarchical structure of thought.
(b) a nervous breakdown.
(c) the loss of everything tangible in his life.
(d) a trip to the mountains for rest and relaxation.
3. The concept that "a thing exists if a world without it can't function normally" is which branch of philosophy?
4. What does Chris want to know about his father?
(a) how he became a good mountain hiker.
(b) what he thinks will happen at the end of the hike.
(c) what he thinks about all the time.
(d) how he knows how to cook.
5. Phaedrus was admitted to the program, but
(a) was thrown out of the program.
(b) wanted into a different program.
(c) decided not to go to the school.
(d) was given a large scholarship.
6. In the "train of knowledge" analogy
(a) Romantic Knowledge is the train track.
(b) Romantic Knowledge is the leading edge of the engine.
(c) the train must be stopped for the analogy to work.
(d) Classic Knowledge is the train's caboose.
7. Phaedrus was a student at
(a) The University of Illinois but taught at the University of Chicago.
(b) The University of Chicago, where he also taught.
(c) The University of Chicago but taught at the University of Illinois.
(d) The University of Illinois, where he also taught.
8. The Narrator is so busy with his Chautauqua that he
(a) does not interact with Chris.
(b) gets separated from Chris.
(c) falls part way down the mountain.
(d) allows Chris to get hurt.
9. In many classrooms today, you will hear teachers who name, divide, subdivide, interrelate, and establish "principles" and study "methods" as if they are speaking with the voice of
10. Which of the following is NOT a description of a world without Quality?
(a) Communist Russia
(b) 1984 by George Orwell
(c) Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
(d) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
11. The Narrator and Chris are planning to hike for
(a) five days.
(b) two days.
(c) three days.
(d) nine days.
12. Quality is
(a) what you like.
(b) a measure of worth or goodness.
(c) what others like.
(d) a trait like hardness or color.
13. The resolution of specific problems of conscience, duty or conduct by using or interpreting ethical principles or religious doctrines is called
14. If Quality exists in the object,
(a) it is just a fancy name for a bunch of nonsense.
(b) Phaedrus should be able to define it.
(c) scientific instruments should be able to detect and measure it.
(d) people should be able to see and feel it.
15. The Narrator compares climbing the mountain to
(a) a hardship to be overcome.
(b) a higher society to be reached.
(c) a spiritual goal to be reached.
(d) a maze to find one's way through life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dialectic pertains to all the following EXCEPT
2. Phaedrus broke the syndrome of "nothing to say" by having students write about
3. All of the following are synonyms for "metaphysical" EXCEPT
4. Poincaré's "subliminal self" corresponds to Phaedrus'
5. The hyped-up, supermodern style of life is another
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)