|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chris found some funny plants out on the rocks in the ocean, but it turned out the plants were really animals called
(d) sea anemones.
2. The shadowy figure keeping the Narrator from opening the door in his dreams is
(a) the Narrator.
(c) Chris' mother.
3. Quality was kept undefined by definition in order to
(a) send a message to the English department.
(b) quiet the estheticians.
(c) discover a cancer cure.
(d) eliminate it from the analytical process.
4. The person whose philosophy seemed to fit closely to the other side of Phaedrus' philosophy was
(a) Jules Henri Poincaré
(b) Henri Toulouse-Lautrec
(c) Bertrand Russell
(d) Robinson Crusoe
5. Phaedrus was admitted to the program, but
(a) was thrown out of the program.
(b) decided not to go to the school.
(c) wanted into a different program.
(d) was given a large scholarship.
6. The Sophists taught
(a) oneness with God and nature.
(b) man is the source of all things.
(c) ethical absolutes.
(d) relativity in all ethical ideas.
7. The three rhetorical options Phaedrus had available to him included all EXCEPT
(a) impale himself on one of the bull's horns.
(b) refuse to enter the arena with the bull.
(c) throw sand in the bull's eyes.
(d) attempt to sing the bull to sleep.
8. Phaedrus was a student at
(a) The University of Chicago but taught at the University of Illinois.
(b) The University of Illinois, where he also taught.
(c) The University of Illinois but taught at the University of Chicago.
(d) The University of Chicago, where he also taught.
9. Quality is
(a) a measure of worth or goodness.
(b) what others like.
(c) a trait like hardness or color.
(d) what you like.
10. Phaedrus decided that schools teach people to
11. According to the Narrator, the twentieth century is characterized by
(a) a chaotic, disconnected spirit.
(b) a search for Quality.
(c) a search for the truth.
(d) a desire to make Religion, Science and Art agree.
12. When Chris falls down, he
(a) starts crying.
(b) begs to go back.
(c) gets angry.
(d) is injured.
13. When the Narrator and Chris switched from a federal to a state highway, the scenery
(a) changed to high plateaus and canyons.
(b) changed to high-tech factories and shopping centers.
(c) changed to old, weathered buildings surrounded by grass and wildflowers.
(d) changed to rolling hills and creeks.
14. The resolution of specific problems of conscience, duty or conduct by using or interpreting ethical principles or religious doctrines is called
15. In many classrooms today, you will hear teachers who name, divide, subdivide, interrelate, and establish "principles" and study "methods" as if they are speaking with the voice of
Short Answer Questions
1. What Phaedrus has talked about as Quality, Socrates describes as
2. What does the Narrator really want to do with the shadowy figure in his dreams?
3. The Narrator is beginning to work out ways to
4. In the "train of knowledge" analogy
5. Poincaré's "subliminal self" corresponds to Phaedrus'
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)