|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The person whose philosophy seemed to fit closely to the other side of Phaedrus' philosophy was
(a) Henri Toulouse-Lautrec
(b) Robinson Crusoe
(c) Bertrand Russell
(d) Jules Henri Poincaré
2. The Narrator has tried to reassemble the fragments of Phaedrus' thinking by
(a) asking lots of questions of his wife and friends.
(b) jotting down everything he knows or is told.
(c) going every place Phaedrus went.
(d) sorting through many boxes of papers.
3. If Quality is subtracted from the marketplace,
(a) beverages would taste better.
(b) G.I. shoes would become unavailable.
(c) only basic, tasteless necessities would be carried by grocery stores.
(d) more tasteful foods would be available in grocery stores.
4. What does Chris want to know about his father?
(a) how he knows how to cook.
(b) what he thinks will happen at the end of the hike.
(c) how he became a good mountain hiker.
(d) what he thinks about all the time.
5. Dialectic pertains to all the following EXCEPT
(a) a method for arriving at truth.
(b) a conversation between two persons.
(c) a part of rhetoric.
(d) the nature of the dialogue.
6. The Professor of Philosophy tried to
(a) shame the student who asked the question.
(b) scare the students into reading and studying.
(c) warn all the students not to aks questsions.
(d) cut Phaedrus down.
7. Quality is the
(a) external aspect of stuckness.
(b) internal aspect of caring.
(c) external aspect of caring.
(d) internal aspect of stuckness.
8. The Narrator first helps Chris' tiredness by
(a) putting all the heavy stuff in one backpack.
(b) ferrying the backpacks up the mountainside.
(c) teaching Chris to use an aspen pole.
(d) having Chris eat lunch and take a nap.
9. Quality was kept undefined by definition in order to
(a) eliminate it from the analytical process.
(b) quiet the estheticians.
(c) discover a cancer cure.
(d) send a message to the English department.
10. Which of the following did NOT draw up a system of geometry?
11. All of the following are synonyms for "metaphysical" EXCEPT
12. According to the Narrator, the twentieth century is characterized by
(a) a desire to make Religion, Science and Art agree.
(b) a search for Quality.
(c) a chaotic, disconnected spirit.
(d) a search for the truth.
13. Which of the following is NOT a description of a world without Quality?
(a) Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
(b) Communist Russia
(c) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
(d) 1984 by George Orwell
14. When Quality is subtracted from the world as Phaedrus knew it, he discovered that the fine arts disappeared. What else disappeared?
(a) science and technology
(b) entertainment and flavors
(c) work and sports
(d) values and purpose
15. When the student could not write an essay on Bozeman, Phaedrus told her to
(a) write an essay on the main street of Bozeman.
(b) write an essay on the United States.
(c) write an essay on one brick.
(d) leave the class and not come back until it was written.
Short Answer Questions
1. Poincaré's "subliminal self" corresponds to Phaedrus'
2. What does the Narrator really want to do with the shadowy figure in his dreams?
3. A sarcophagus is
4. Phaedrus broke the syndrome of "nothing to say" by having students write about
5. A branch of philosophy concerned with the definition of Quality is known as
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)