|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The person whose philosophy seemed to fit closely to the other side of Phaedrus' philosophy was
(a) Robinson Crusoe
(b) Bertrand Russell
(c) Henri Toulouse-Lautrec
(d) Jules Henri Poincaré
2. When you are stuck
(a) you are the engineer of the train of knowledge seeing far into the distance.
(b) the train of knowledge is of no help to you.
(c) you are at the back end of the train of knowledge on the track to reality.
(d) you are at the front end of the train of knowledge, at the track of reality.
3. Although Phaedrus was sure he had found the right Ph.D. program, he discovered that his thesis idea was opposed to the views of
(a) the professor of Philosophy.
(b) the professor of English.
(c) the professor of Greek.
(d) the professor of Chinese.
4. Quality is
(a) a trait like hardness or color.
(b) a measure of worth or goodness.
(c) what others like.
(d) what you like.
5. The three rhetorical options Phaedrus had available to him included all EXCEPT
(a) attempt to sing the bull to sleep.
(b) throw sand in the bull's eyes.
(c) impale himself on one of the bull's horns.
(d) refuse to enter the arena with the bull.
6. A branch of philosophy concerned with the definition of Quality is known as
7. Phaedrus used the number zero as a means of showing
(a) reductio ad absurdum.
(b) subjective elimination.
(c) scientific materialism.
(d) classic formalism.
8. Dialectic pertains to all the following EXCEPT
(a) a part of rhetoric.
(b) a conversation between two persons.
(c) the nature of the dialogue.
(d) a method for arriving at truth.
9. The Narrator becomes scared and decides NOT to
(a) check himself into a hospital.
(b) sell the motorcycle in San Francisco.
(c) ride the cycle back to Minnesota.
(d) send Chris home on a bus.
10. Quality is the
(a) internal aspect of caring.
(b) external aspect of caring.
(c) internal aspect of stuckness.
(d) external aspect of stuckness.
11. The shadowy figure keeping the Narrator from opening the door in his dreams is
(a) Chris' mother.
(b) the Narrator.
12. The Narrator is so busy with his Chautauqua that he
(a) falls part way down the mountain.
(b) does not interact with Chris.
(c) allows Chris to get hurt.
(d) gets separated from Chris.
13. According to the Narrator, the twentieth century is characterized by
(a) a search for the truth.
(b) a chaotic, disconnected spirit.
(c) a search for Quality.
(d) a desire to make Religion, Science and Art agree.
14. Without the Sutherlands
(a) Chris and his dad talk more.
(b) it is very lonely.
(c) Chris becomes withdrawn.
(d) it is more peaceful.
15. The Professor of Philosophy tried to
(a) warn all the students not to aks questsions.
(b) cut Phaedrus down.
(c) scare the students into reading and studying.
(d) shame the student who asked the question.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the levels of inner peace of mind?
2. Quality was kept undefined by definition in order to
3. When Quality is subtracted from the world as Phaedrus knew it, he discovered that the fine arts disappeared. What else disappeared?
4. The concept that "a thing exists if a world without it can't function normally" is which branch of philosophy?
5. When Quality is subtracted, all EXCEPT the following are true:
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)