|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Narrator, the twentieth century is characterized by
(a) a chaotic, disconnected spirit.
(b) a search for the truth.
(c) a search for Quality.
(d) a desire to make Religion, Science and Art agree.
2. If Quality exists in the object,
(a) Phaedrus should be able to define it.
(b) people should be able to see and feel it.
(c) it is just a fancy name for a bunch of nonsense.
(d) scientific instruments should be able to detect and measure it.
3. The first phase of Phaedrus' exploration into the meaning of the term Quality was
(a) a very unhappy phase.
(b) a rigid and structured phase.
(c) a frustrating and maddening phase.
(d) a creative and fulfilling phase.
4. Chris found some funny plants out on the rocks in the ocean, but it turned out the plants were really animals called
(d) sea anemones.
5. When the student could not write an essay on Bozeman, Phaedrus told her to
(a) write an essay on one brick.
(b) write an essay on the United States.
(c) leave the class and not come back until it was written.
(d) write an essay on the main street of Bozeman.
6. The Narrator has tried to reassemble the fragments of Phaedrus' thinking by
(a) going every place Phaedrus went.
(b) sorting through many boxes of papers.
(c) jotting down everything he knows or is told.
(d) asking lots of questions of his wife and friends.
7. The Chairman skips Socrates' description of
(a) the horse.
(b) the Truth.
(c) the One.
(d) the allegory.
8. A sarcophagus is
(a) a limestone coffin.
(b) a piece of striated muscle.
(c) a dinosaur.
(d) a room in an insane asylum.
9. The forest near the bottom of the canyon consists mainly of
(d) broad-leafed trees.
10. Without the Sutherlands
(a) Chris and his dad talk more.
(b) it is very lonely.
(c) Chris becomes withdrawn.
(d) it is more peaceful.
11. The Professor of Philosophy tried to
(a) scare the students into reading and studying.
(b) shame the student who asked the question.
(c) warn all the students not to aks questsions.
(d) cut Phaedrus down.
12. At the end of the chapter,
(a) they descend into a canyon through a series of hairpin turns.
(b) they stop to look into and across the enormous canyon.
(c) they climb up out of a canyon through a hundred hairpin turns.
(d) they passed hundreds of antlike cars in the canyon.
13. In many classrooms today, you will hear teachers who name, divide, subdivide, interrelate, and establish "principles" and study "methods" as if they are speaking with the voice of
14. The Narrator becomes scared and decides NOT to
(a) sell the motorcycle in San Francisco.
(b) ride the cycle back to Minnesota.
(c) check himself into a hospital.
(d) send Chris home on a bus.
15. The Narrator tells a story about camping in the mountains and being surprised by a
Short Answer Questions
1. The Narrator compares climbing the mountain to
2. Quality is the
3. The idea of eliminating degrees and grades
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the levels of inner peace of mind?
5. In the "train of knowledge" analogy
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)