|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements about modern technology was NOT part of the Narrator's feelings?
(a) The creator of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
(b) The user of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
(c) The viewer of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
(d) The owner of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
2. The Narrator compares climbing the mountain to
(a) a maze to find one's way through life.
(b) a spiritual goal to be reached.
(c) a hardship to be overcome.
(d) a higher society to be reached.
3. Which of the following is NOT a description of a world without Quality?
(a) 1984 by George Orwell
(b) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
(c) Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
(d) Communist Russia
4. The Narrator and Chris are planning to hike for
(a) two days.
(b) nine days.
(c) three days.
(d) five days.
5. Signs that Phaedrus' life is unraveling include all EXCEPT
(a) he gets less and less sleep.
(b) he loses touch with his students.
(c) he forgets about food and exercise.
(d) he is more affected by his children's needs..
6. The Narrator is so busy with his Chautauqua that he
(a) falls part way down the mountain.
(b) allows Chris to get hurt.
(c) gets separated from Chris.
(d) does not interact with Chris.
7. The Narrator tells a story about camping in the mountains and being surprised by a
8. The Sophists taught
(a) man is the source of all things.
(b) ethical absolutes.
(c) oneness with God and nature.
(d) relativity in all ethical ideas.
9. When the Narrator and Chris switched from a federal to a state highway, the scenery
(a) changed to old, weathered buildings surrounded by grass and wildflowers.
(b) changed to high plateaus and canyons.
(c) changed to rolling hills and creeks.
(d) changed to high-tech factories and shopping centers.
10. The first phase of Phaedrus' exploration into the meaning of the term Quality was
(a) a creative and fulfilling phase.
(b) a frustrating and maddening phase.
(c) a rigid and structured phase.
(d) a very unhappy phase.
11. In many classrooms today, you will hear teachers who name, divide, subdivide, interrelate, and establish "principles" and study "methods" as if they are speaking with the voice of
12. According to the Narrator, the twentieth century is characterized by
(a) a search for Quality.
(b) a chaotic, disconnected spirit.
(c) a search for the truth.
(d) a desire to make Religion, Science and Art agree.
13. The Narrator has tried to reassemble the fragments of Phaedrus' thinking by
(a) sorting through many boxes of papers.
(b) asking lots of questions of his wife and friends.
(c) jotting down everything he knows or is told.
(d) going every place Phaedrus went.
14. The book that the Narrator tries to read with Chris is
(a) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
(b) Walden by Henry David Thoreau
(c) Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
(d) 1984 by George Orwell
15. Quality is
(a) what you like.
(b) a trait like hardness or color.
(c) a measure of worth or goodness.
(d) what others like.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Quality is subtracted from the world as Phaedrus knew it, he discovered that the fine arts disappeared. What else disappeared?
2. All of the following are synonyms for "metaphysical" EXCEPT
3. Dialectic pertains to all the following EXCEPT
4. Poincaré's "subliminal self" corresponds to Phaedrus'
5. The idea of eliminating degrees and grades
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)