|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Immortal Principle was NOT called
(a) rock by Piney.
(b) air by Anaximenes.
(c) fire by Heraclitus.
(d) water by Thales.
2. In the "train of knowledge" analogy
(a) Romantic Knowledge is the train track.
(b) Classic Knowledge is the train's caboose.
(c) the train must be stopped for the analogy to work.
(d) Romantic Knowledge is the leading edge of the engine.
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the levels of inner peace of mind?
(a) Mental quietness
(b) Value quietness
(c) Physical quietness
(d) Spiritual quietness
4. The Professor of Philosophy tried to
(a) shame the student who asked the question.
(b) cut Phaedrus down.
(c) warn all the students not to aks questsions.
(d) scare the students into reading and studying.
5. The Narrator has tried to reassemble the fragments of Phaedrus' thinking by
(a) going every place Phaedrus went.
(b) jotting down everything he knows or is told.
(c) sorting through many boxes of papers.
(d) asking lots of questions of his wife and friends.
6. The forest near the bottom of the canyon consists mainly of
(b) broad-leafed trees.
7. The book that the Narrator tries to read with Chris is
(a) Walden by Henry David Thoreau
(b) 1984 by George Orwell
(c) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
(d) Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
8. When Quality is subtracted, all EXCEPT the following are true:
(a) Life becomes very dull and uninteresting.
(b) Rationality is essentially unchanged.
(c) The world cannot function.
(d) Purely intellectual pursuits are fairly unaffected.
9. According to the Narrator, the twentieth century is characterized by
(a) a desire to make Religion, Science and Art agree.
(b) a chaotic, disconnected spirit.
(c) a search for Quality.
(d) a search for the truth.
10. The Narrator becomes scared and decides NOT to
(a) ride the cycle back to Minnesota.
(b) sell the motorcycle in San Francisco.
(c) check himself into a hospital.
(d) send Chris home on a bus.
11. If Quality is subtracted from the marketplace,
(a) only basic, tasteless necessities would be carried by grocery stores.
(b) G.I. shoes would become unavailable.
(c) beverages would taste better.
(d) more tasteful foods would be available in grocery stores.
12. Which of the following statements about modern technology was NOT part of the Narrator's feelings?
(a) The user of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
(b) The owner of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
(c) The creator of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
(d) The viewer of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
13. The resolution of specific problems of conscience, duty or conduct by using or interpreting ethical principles or religious doctrines is called
14. The idea of eliminating degrees and grades
(a) was embraced by the student body.
(b) was enacted by the university.
(c) was not popular among the faculty.
(d) became a demonstrator for persuasive writing.
15. Chris found some funny plants out on the rocks in the ocean, but it turned out the plants were really animals called
(d) sea anemones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Without the Sutherlands
2. Quality is the
3. When Phaedrus reads "Phaedrus" he is impressed by
4. When the Narrator and Chris switched from a federal to a state highway, the scenery
5. What does the Narrator really want to do with the shadowy figure in his dreams?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)