|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A sarcophagus is
(a) a dinosaur.
(b) a room in an insane asylum.
(c) a limestone coffin.
(d) a piece of striated muscle.
2. What Phaedrus has talked about as Quality, Socrates describes as
(a) the Oneness.
(b) the soul.
(c) the mind.
(d) the god-head.
3. All of the following are synonyms for "metaphysical" EXCEPT
4. When you are stuck
(a) the train of knowledge is of no help to you.
(b) you are the engineer of the train of knowledge seeing far into the distance.
(c) you are at the back end of the train of knowledge on the track to reality.
(d) you are at the front end of the train of knowledge, at the track of reality.
5. If a person's motorcycle backfires sometimes, what type of gumption trap would that be?
(b) Intermettent failure
(c) Muscular insensitivity
6. When Phaedrus reads "Phaedrus" he is impressed by
(a) the double meanings of the words.
(b) the poetic imagery.
(c) the condemning spirit.
(d) the emotions expressed.
7. The three rhetorical options Phaedrus had available to him included all EXCEPT
(a) throw sand in the bull's eyes.
(b) attempt to sing the bull to sleep.
(c) refuse to enter the arena with the bull.
(d) impale himself on one of the bull's horns.
8. At the end of the chapter,
(a) they climb up out of a canyon through a hundred hairpin turns.
(b) they descend into a canyon through a series of hairpin turns.
(c) they passed hundreds of antlike cars in the canyon.
(d) they stop to look into and across the enormous canyon.
9. Which of the following statements about modern technology was NOT part of the Narrator's feelings?
(a) The owner of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
(b) The creator of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
(c) The user of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
(d) The viewer of it feels no particular sense of identity with it.
10. Dialectic pertains to all the following EXCEPT
(a) a method for arriving at truth.
(b) a part of rhetoric.
(c) a conversation between two persons.
(d) the nature of the dialogue.
11. Without the Sutherlands
(a) Chris and his dad talk more.
(b) it is more peaceful.
(c) it is very lonely.
(d) Chris becomes withdrawn.
12. When Chris falls down, he
(a) is injured.
(b) starts crying.
(c) begs to go back.
(d) gets angry.
13. Quality is the
(a) external aspect of caring.
(b) internal aspect of stuckness.
(c) external aspect of stuckness.
(d) internal aspect of caring.
14. What does the Narrator really want to do with the shadowy figure in his dreams?
(a) Talk to him
(b) Kill him
(c) Avoid him
(d) See him
15. The shadowy figure keeping the Narrator from opening the door in his dreams is
(a) Chris' mother.
(c) the Narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. The forest near the bottom of the canyon consists mainly of
2. The Narrator becomes scared and decides NOT to
3. Signs that Phaedrus' life is unraveling include all EXCEPT
4. The idea of eliminating degrees and grades
5. Which is NOT a way in which the Narrator knows that Chris is exhausted?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)