|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What subject did Phaedrus teach at the university?
2. How does the Narrator know a storm is coming?
(a) He sees lightening flashing on the horizon.
(b) He sees fast-moving thick, black clouds sweeping across the landscape.
(c) He sees the edge of storm clouds on the horizon as they top a small hill.
(d) He feels the cool wind against his cheek.
3. DeWeese had not like the "Church of Minorities" because
(a) it was a print of a painting.
(b) it was not a very good painting.
(c) it was by an unknown artist.
(d) it was not abstract.
4. The ghost that Phaedrus pursued was
(a) the ghost of Western thought.
(b) the ghost of rationality.
(c) the ghost of modern science.
(d) the ghost of technology.
5. Sylvia is frightened by
(a) the Narrator's bike rolling in the ditch.
(b) a truck with a trailer in their lane.
(c) the gravel on the side of the road.
(d) a cardboard carton on the road.
6. The person who started him thinking about Quality was
7. The main point of the lecture was that
(a) the location of the university has no application to the teaching of truth.
(b) the university, as the keeper of truth, must point students toward rational truth.
(c) the church is mandated to teach the truth and ignore threats against it.
(d) his classroom was the only place at the university where students could find truth.
8. The range of human knowledge today creates
(b) generation gaps.
(d) an fragmented society.
9. A turning point in Phaedrus' life came about the time he saw
(a) a double rainbow.
(b) a wall shining across a misty harbor.
(c) his best friend die.
(d) a rice paddy from atop a mountain.
10. Unpacking at the campground is difficult due to
(a) the flashlight's disappearance.
(b) the lack of help from Chris.
(c) the extreme exhaustion of the group.
(d) Sylvia's complaining.
11. The Narrator says that some cultures believe in ghosts in the same way that other cultures
(a) believe in the law of gravity.
(b) believe the earth is round.
(c) believe in evil spirits.
(d) believe in eye contact.
12. John puts on his long underwear and plays
13. Phaedrus' academic goal in University was to
(a) major in journalism.
(b) major in chemistry.
(c) major in philosophy.
(d) major in molecular biology.
14. The Narrator divides human understanding into
(a) romantic and gothic.
(b) Roman and Greek.
(c) romantic and classic.
(d) Romanesque and Classical.
15. In his teaching, an essay was to be developed from the basis of
(a) elementary stimulus-response theory.
(b) elementary, rational thought.
(c) elementary logic.
(d) following a pattern.
Short Answer Questions
1. Phaedrus served in the
2. The Narrator does not feel the faster speeds are good because
3. Phaedrus' stage fright concerning classroom teaching appeared to students as
4. The point at which Phaedrus gave up on Oriental wisdom was when a professor called the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
5. The parts of a motorcycle form a
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)