|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Phaedrus called Montana State University
(a) the School of Reasonable Rationality.
(b) the Church of Rationality.
(c) the Church of Reason.
(d) the Church of Irrationality.
2. Annihilation ECS consisted of
(a) 88 volts of electricity to the heart.
(b) 28 electric shocks to the brain.
(c) 28 skin pricks on the scalp.
(d) 800 amps applied for 1.5 seconds.
3. How does the Narrator know a storm is coming?
(a) He sees lightening flashing on the horizon.
(b) He sees the edge of storm clouds on the horizon as they top a small hill.
(c) He sees fast-moving thick, black clouds sweeping across the landscape.
(d) He feels the cool wind against his cheek.
4. The Narrator approaches maintaining his motorcycle like
(a) a person entering a home for refuge from the world.
(b) a person entering a bar for refreshment.
(c) a person entering a church for a religious rite.
(d) a person entering a theater for entertainment.
5. Which of the following is NOT a book the Narrator has brought on the trip?
(a) A shop manual for his motorcycle
(b) Thoreau's Walden
(c) Harley Davidson's How to Fix Motorcycles
(d) Chilton's Motorcycle Troubleshooting Guide
6. In chapter 11, the Narrator and Chris seem
(a) uncharacteristically close to each other.
(b) at odds with one another.
(c) oddly disconnected from each other.
(d) out of sorts with each other.
7. John wants to camp
(a) at a campground to the south of Lemmon.
(b) at a reservoir near Lemmon.
(c) on the bank of the Missouri River.
(d) at a park in the middle of Lemmon.
8. A Chautauqua is
(a) A carnival that sets up on the streets of small American towns.
(b) A traveling tent-show meant to entertain and enlighten, once common in America.
(c) A chat room on the internet for specialized discussions.
(d) A Middle Eastern philosophy.
9. Sylvia begins to ask questions about Chris'
(a) stomach pains.
(c) temper tantrums.
10. A priori knowledge is an idea that was proposed by
11. Phaedrus discovered that the science he'd once thought of as the whole world of knowledge is
(a) not cared about at all by Koreans.
(b) a natural continuation of the question that started him in science.
(c) only a branch of philosophy.
(d) theoretic science.
12. The Narrator characterized the college as a "teaching college" by which he meant
(a) the professors were burned out with teaching so many classes and never had time for research or contemplation.
(b) the college was designed to prepare students to be teachers in schools and colleges.
(c) that only those who truly enjoyed teaching worked there since the college did not require research.
(d) the professors taught the graduate students to teach, but stayed really busy teaching the grad students.
13. DeWeese had not like the "Church of Minorities" because
(a) it was a print of a painting.
(b) it was by an unknown artist.
(c) it was not abstract.
(d) it was not a very good painting.
14. Phaedrus served in the
(a) Vietnam War.
(b) Korean Conflict.
(c) Falkland Skirmish.
(d) Cuban Crisis.
15. The ghost that Phaedrus pursued was
(a) the ghost of Western thought.
(b) the ghost of modern science.
(c) the ghost of rationality.
(d) the ghost of technology.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did he discover about his spark plugs?
2. Signs that they were approaching the High Plains included all EXCEPT
3. Philosophy attempts to answer questions like:
4. Riding in a car is different from riding on a motorcycle because
5. How many motorcycles are involved in this trip?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)