|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The real university according to Phaedrus
(a) is a state of mind based on the heritage of rational thought, which is regenerated by a body of people.
(b) is a legal corporation, which owns property and pays salaries to teaching staff and receives payment for teaching students.
(c) is a nonprofit corporation, which owns property and pays salaries to teaching staff and receives payment for teaching students.
(d) is a facility created and operated by a state legislature for the purpose of educating students.
2. The Narrator does not want to go faster than
(a) sixty-five miles per hour.
(b) forty-five miles per hour.
(c) fifty miles per hour.
(d) sixty miles per hour.
3. The travelers stay in cabins in Gardiner made by the owner who is a craftsman as evidenced by
(a) the many flowers planted around each cabin.
(b) how old the couple is who own the cabins.
(c) the careful attention to detail in the windows, doors, and moldings.
(d) the sign that is hung in the cabin.
4. The parts of a motorcycle form a
(d) scientific method.
5. Who are the four people riding motorcycles on a journey?
(a) The Narrator, Chris Sutherland, John Sutherland, Sylvia
(b) John Sutherland, his son Chris, the Narrator, his wife Sylvia
(c) Chris, his father the Narrator, John Sutherland, his wife Sylvia Sutherland
(d) John, Sylvia, Chris, Buddha
6. The method of finding one's way through the hierarchies is by using
(a) the scientific method.
(d) the system.
7. Phaedrus did not like Yellowstone Park because
(a) people in the park acted like animals on display.
(b) the tourists had white legs sticking out of shorts.
(c) the atmosphere of the park made people fake friendliness.
(d) the park rangers wore Smokey Bear hats.
8. The Narrator ended the trip to Canada on the motorcycle because
(a) It was raining too hard to ride a motorcycle.
(b) The motorcycle seized up.
(c) Chris got sick.
(d) The motorcycle was out of gas.
9. The high meadow is welcome like
(a) a rainbow.
(b) the promise of a new beginning.
(c) the promised land.
(d) the rain in the spring.
10. The ghost that Phaedrus pursued was
(a) the ghost of Western thought.
(b) the ghost of technology.
(c) the ghost of modern science.
(d) the ghost of rationality.
11. Sylvia begins to ask questions about Chris'
(b) temper tantrums.
(c) stomach pains.
12. Herried is designated a Western town by the Narrator because
(a) the main gathering place is a saloon.
(b) the town only has one street.
(c) things are far apart in the town.
(d) the town is very dusty.
13. Phaedrus was despondent about his inability to
(a) teach about quality.
(b) teach what he believed.
(c) help his students really learn.
(d) excite his students.
14. Doctrinal differences among Taoism, Hinduism, and Buddhism
(a) are not worth fighting Holy Wars.
(b) have never been verbalized.
(c) are similar those among Islam, Judaism, and Christianity.
(d) have started many religious wars over the centuries.
15. What does the Narrator think he should be doing if he were a novelist instead of a Chautauqua orator?
(a) talking more to Chris
(b) interacting more with John
(c) developing the characters of John, Sylvia and Chris
(d) communicating with John, Sylvia and Chris
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT associated with underlying form?
2. The Narrator makes four observations about his lists of motorcycle parts. Which of the following is NOT one of those observations?
3. Chris usually reflects the mood of the Narrator in his
4. Who introduces the topic of ghost stories?
5. The predicted results of scientific inquiry and the actual results of scientific inquiry are
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)