|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A person consists of a personality,
(a) bones and flesh.
(b) flesh and legal statistics.
(c) bones and garments.
(d) flesh and blood.
2. The Narrator divides human understanding into
(a) Roman and Greek.
(b) romantic and classic.
(c) romantic and gothic.
(d) Romanesque and Classical.
3. A topsy-turvy feeling of inadequacy results when
(a) old forms of thought do not give people a way to deal with new experiences.
(b) instantaneous rates of change create hang-ups.
(c) a new world is discovered by Columbus.
(d) occultism, mysticism, and mind-altering drug use are widespread.
4. In his teaching, an essay was to be developed from the basis of
(a) following a pattern.
(b) elementary logic.
(c) elementary, rational thought.
(d) elementary stimulus-response theory.
5. Phaedrus corresponded with the Northwest Regional Accrediting Association
(a) because he was unhappy with their method of accrediting the English department.
(b) to see of they would accredit a college he was starting.
(c) to get letters proving he was a professor at an accredited university.
(d) because he believed that the university had violated accreditation requirements.
6. The high meadow is welcome like
(a) the promised land.
(b) a rainbow.
(c) the rain in the spring.
(d) the promise of a new beginning.
7. Why does the Narrator almost leave the building with Chris?
(a) He sees how frightened Chris is.
(b) He sees someone he doesn't want to talk with.
(c) He hears a car go by.
(d) He is afraid he will see Phaedrus.
8. Chris relates that whichever child saw their father first
(a) would get to ride in the front seat next time.
(b) would receive a nickel.
(c) would get an ice cream cone.
(d) would receive a quarter.
9. John complains about how difficult it is to photograph the
(c) town of Ellendale.
(d) Narrator and Chris.
10. Why did Chris and the Narrator get soaked on their trip to Canada?
(a) The Narrator forgot to pack a tent.
(b) The rain was the result of a warm front.
(c) The storm came from the northeast.
(d) The Narrator forgot to dig a trench around their tent.
11. Which of the following is the best description of Phaedrus?
(a) Phaedrus was brilliant, focused on his work, and insensitive to people.
(b) Phaedrus was intelligent, focused, and courageous.
(c) Phaedrus was secretive, aloof, and seemingly cold to others.
(d) Phaedrus was tall, darkly complected, and highly intelligent.
12. In all Oriental religions great value is placed upon
(a) the lack of all activity for the sake of meditation.
(b) the separation of self and other.
(c) the doctrine
(d) the concept of logic as a means to final wisdom.
13. The Narrator approaches maintaining his motorcycle like
(a) a person entering a home for refuge from the world.
(b) a person entering a church for a religious rite.
(c) a person entering a theater for entertainment.
(d) a person entering a bar for refreshment.
14. Phaedrus did not understand
(a) the hollowness of working for food and shelter.
(b) the laws of science.
(c) the chaos he saw in the world.
(d) the social crises occuring.
15. When they arrive in Ellendale for breakfast, it is
(a) 7:30 AM
(b) 8:30 AM
(c) 6:30 AM
(d) 7:15 AM
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduces the topic of ghost stories?
2. What subject did Phaedrus teach at the university?
3. The Narrator does not want to go faster than
4. What did he discover about his spark plugs?
5. A Chautauqua is
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)