|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John is interested in
(a) what things mean.
(b) what things are.
(c) what is the underlying form of things.
(d) what things appear to be.
2. Philosophy attempts to answer questions like:
(a) What does it all mean? What's the purpose of all this?
(b) What is substance? What are time and space?
(c) Who am I? Where did I come from?
(d) What is man's purpose? How are people related to nature?
3. Sylvia says she thinks the Narrator looks like he saw a
4. Why did Chris and the Narrator get soaked on their trip to Canada?
(a) The storm came from the northeast.
(b) The rain was the result of a warm front.
(c) The Narrator forgot to pack a tent.
(d) The Narrator forgot to dig a trench around their tent.
5. Traveling by motorcycle is unique because
(a) It is a passive activity.
(b) It puts you in the scene rather than observing the scene.
(c) It is so frightening to have no protection from natural elements or vehicles.
(d) You have to be aware of insects at all times.
6. Phaedrus served in the
(a) Vietnam War.
(b) Cuban Crisis.
(c) Falkland Skirmish.
(d) Korean Conflict.
7. In all Oriental religions great value is placed upon
(a) the separation of self and other.
(b) the concept of logic as a means to final wisdom.
(c) the doctrine
(d) the lack of all activity for the sake of meditation.
8. The main point of the lecture was that
(a) the location of the university has no application to the teaching of truth.
(b) his classroom was the only place at the university where students could find truth.
(c) the university, as the keeper of truth, must point students toward rational truth.
(d) the church is mandated to teach the truth and ignore threats against it.
9. Sylvia begins to ask questions about Chris'
(a) temper tantrums.
(d) stomach pains.
10. A motorcycle mechanic
(a) is a careful observer and precise thinker.
(b) is mainly a physical laborer.
(c) does not care about the rider or the motorcycle.
(d) ignorant of the hierarchy of the motorcycle.
11. The Narrator remembers going to a party and drinking too much. He lies down in a back room of the house and wakes up
(a) in an insane hospital.
(b) riding a motorcycle.
(c) in a heart hospital.
(d) at home.
12. The first part of the formal scientific method is to
(a) state the problem.
(b) state a possible hypothesis.
(c) design and carry out experiments.
(d) observe the results of experiments.
13. The ghost that Phaedrus pursued was
(a) the ghost of Western thought.
(b) the ghost of modern science.
(c) the ghost of technology.
(d) the ghost of rationality.
14. The Narrator does not feel the faster speeds are good because
(a) the hills are dangerous at higher speeds.
(b) there are a lot of holes and broken places in the roads.
(c) his rear tire is wearing badly and could blow out.
(d) the road is getting really hot.
15. Herried is designated a Western town by the Narrator because
(a) the town only has one street.
(b) the town is very dusty.
(c) the main gathering place is a saloon.
(d) things are far apart in the town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT associated with underlying form?
2. The group crossed the Missouri River at
3. Phaedrus' academic goal in University was to
4. The Narrator seems to think that technology is
5. The high meadow is welcome like
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)