|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Narrator almost leave the building with Chris?
(a) He hears a car go by.
(b) He sees how frightened Chris is.
(c) He sees someone he doesn't want to talk with.
(d) He is afraid he will see Phaedrus.
2. The first part of the formal scientific method is to
(a) state the problem.
(b) design and carry out experiments.
(c) observe the results of experiments.
(d) state a possible hypothesis.
3. The Narrator remembers going to a party and drinking too much. He lies down in a back room of the house and wakes up
(a) at home.
(b) in an insane hospital.
(c) riding a motorcycle.
(d) in a heart hospital.
4. Traveling by motorcycle is unique because
(a) It puts you in the scene rather than observing the scene.
(b) It is so frightening to have no protection from natural elements or vehicles.
(c) You have to be aware of insects at all times.
(d) It is a passive activity.
5. The Narrator does not want to go faster than
(a) sixty-five miles per hour.
(b) sixty miles per hour.
(c) forty-five miles per hour.
(d) fifty miles per hour.
6. The plans of Chris and the Narrator are deliberately indefinite so that
(a) the vacation can be a good time of togetherness and relaxation.
(b) they can continue until their money is gone.
(c) they can keep changing their minds about their destination.
(d) they do not have to account to anyone for their time.
7. The view John and Sylvia have of technology is
(a) that it is a necessary evil, but they can overcome it.
(b) that it is a death force that may control them.
(c) that it is a nuisance to be endured.
(d) that it should be pursued to enrich human life.
8. Man is a passive observer or a "blank tablet" was first proposed by
9. A supersaturated solution will only crystallize when certain conditions are met unless there is a
(a) foreign object.
(b) sense of Quality.
(c) violent shaking.
(d) seed crystal.
10. The Narrator calls unnatural the divorce of
(a) art from writing.
(b) technology from science.
(c) teaching from sculpting.
(d) art from technology.
11. The woman who finds him in his classroom
(a) was a colleague of his.
(b) was a teacher of his.
(c) was a student of his.
(d) was married to him.
12. In all Oriental religions great value is placed upon
(a) the doctrine
(b) the separation of self and other.
(c) the concept of logic as a means to final wisdom.
(d) the lack of all activity for the sake of meditation.
13. The ghost that Phaedrus pursued was
(a) the ghost of technology.
(b) the ghost of rationality.
(c) the ghost of modern science.
(d) the ghost of Western thought.
14. The Narrator's tenseness and apprehension about going back to Bozeman are similar to the feelings felt by
(a) a geologist discovering a new vein of precious stones.
(b) a plumber about to unclog a toilet.
(c) an archeologist about to open a long-sealed tomb.
(d) an archeologist about to unearth a long-forgotten city.
15. The main point of the lecture was that
(a) the university, as the keeper of truth, must point students toward rational truth.
(b) the church is mandated to teach the truth and ignore threats against it.
(c) the location of the university has no application to the teaching of truth.
(d) his classroom was the only place at the university where students could find truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Narrator ended the trip to Canada on the motorcycle because
2. Phaedrus' academic goal in University was to
3. Signs that they were approaching the High Plains included all EXCEPT
4. Einstein said:
5. Who are the four people riding motorcycles on a journey?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)