|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Narrator approaches maintaining his motorcycle like
(a) a person entering a theater for entertainment.
(b) a person entering a bar for refreshment.
(c) a person entering a home for refuge from the world.
(d) a person entering a church for a religious rite.
2. The Narrator characterized the college as a "teaching college" by which he meant
(a) the professors were burned out with teaching so many classes and never had time for research or contemplation.
(b) that only those who truly enjoyed teaching worked there since the college did not require research.
(c) the professors taught the graduate students to teach, but stayed really busy teaching the grad students.
(d) the college was designed to prepare students to be teachers in schools and colleges.
3. Which of the following is the best description of Phaedrus?
(a) Phaedrus was intelligent, focused, and courageous.
(b) Phaedrus was brilliant, focused on his work, and insensitive to people.
(c) Phaedrus was tall, darkly complected, and highly intelligent.
(d) Phaedrus was secretive, aloof, and seemingly cold to others.
4. The purpose of Annihilation ECS was
(a) to gel a personality.
(b) to create a new personality.
(c) to liquidate a personality.
(d) to solidify a personality.
5. The professor meant that the bombing of the Japanese cities
(a) was a great idea that ended that part of the war.
(b) was not a part of reality.
(c) caused much destruction from fire.
(d) helped people have better understanding.
6. Phaedrus studied Oriental philosophy at
(a) Benares Hindu University in India.
(b) the Eastern Thought Center in India.
(c) the Zen Study Center in India.
(d) Bengal Hindu University in India.
7. The mechanics where the Narrator had taken his motorcycle when it was seizing did not fix it properly since they
(a) were dancing and singing along with the radio.
(b) did not read the manual for that bike.
(c) did not have the proper tools.
(d) did not care enough to learn to do it right.
8. Phaedrus did not understand
(a) the chaos he saw in the world.
(b) the laws of science.
(c) the social crises occuring.
(d) the hollowness of working for food and shelter.
9. In trying to explain what is wrong with the outdoor barbecue instructions, the Narrator expounds upon what is wrong with technology, which he says is
(a) its inability to explain things to the common man.
(b) its inability to encompass reason and feeling and relationships.
(c) the fact that they live in topsy-turvy times.
(d) its purposeless expansion laterally.
10. DeWeese had not like the "Church of Minorities" because
(a) it was by an unknown artist.
(b) it was not a very good painting.
(c) it was not abstract.
(d) it was a print of a painting.
11. The parts of a motorcycle form a
(b) scientific method.
12. Phaedrus discovered that the science he'd once thought of as the whole world of knowledge is
(a) only a branch of philosophy.
(b) theoretic science.
(c) a natural continuation of the question that started him in science.
(d) not cared about at all by Koreans.
13. The course sections Phaedrus most often taught included
(a) American Literature
(b) English Literature
(c) Grammar and Spelling
(d) Freshman English
14. Sylvia begins to ask questions about Chris'
(a) stomach pains.
(c) temper tantrums.
15. The point at which Phaedrus gave up on Oriental wisdom was when a professor called the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
Short Answer Questions
1. The ghost that Phaedrus pursued was
2. The predicted results of scientific inquiry and the actual results of scientific inquiry are
3. A supersaturated solution will only crystallize when certain conditions are met unless there is a
4. When they arrive in Ellendale for breakfast, it is
5. Above the timberline, the travelers see
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)