Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Narrator feels apprehensive about
(a) meeting the DeWeeses.
(b) riding through Yellowstone Park.
(c) spending the night in a cabin.
(d) introducing John and Sylvia to the DeWeeses.
2. Phaedrus did not understand
(a) the laws of science.
(b) the social crises occuring.
(c) the chaos he saw in the world.
(d) the hollowness of working for food and shelter.
3. The plans of Chris and the Narrator are deliberately indefinite so that
(a) they do not have to account to anyone for their time.
(b) the vacation can be a good time of togetherness and relaxation.
(c) they can continue until their money is gone.
(d) they can keep changing their minds about their destination.
4. Phaedrus served in the
(a) Vietnam War.
(b) Cuban Crisis.
(c) Korean Conflict.
(d) Falkland Skirmish.
5. The ghost that Phaedrus pursued was
(a) the ghost of technology.
(b) the ghost of modern science.
(c) the ghost of rationality.
(d) the ghost of Western thought.
6. What does Chris want to do as Chapter 4 ends (their second night)?
(a) never quit riding
(b) camp out
(c) go shopping
(d) stop to eat
7. A turning point in Phaedrus' life came about the time he saw
(a) his best friend die.
(b) a rice paddy from atop a mountain.
(c) a double rainbow.
(d) a wall shining across a misty harbor.
8. Phaedrus was despondent about his inability to
(a) teach what he believed.
(b) help his students really learn.
(c) teach about quality.
(d) excite his students.
9. Sylvia says she thinks the Narrator looks like he saw a
10. The mechanics where the Narrator had taken his motorcycle when it was seizing did not fix it properly since they
(a) were dancing and singing along with the radio.
(b) did not read the manual for that bike.
(c) did not care enough to learn to do it right.
(d) did not have the proper tools.
11. Phaedrus gave up chasing the ghost of rationality and
(a) began chasing the ghost of materialism.
(b) busied himself living a conventional life.
(c) went home to live with his parents and decide what to do.
(d) buried himself in his research and writing.
12. The first part of the formal scientific method is to
(a) state the problem.
(b) observe the results of experiments.
(c) design and carry out experiments.
(d) state a possible hypothesis.
13. DeWeese had not like the "Church of Minorities" because
(a) it was not a very good painting.
(b) it was a print of a painting.
(c) it was by an unknown artist.
(d) it was not abstract.
14. Who are the four people riding motorcycles on a journey?
(a) Chris, his father the Narrator, John Sutherland, his wife Sylvia Sutherland
(b) John Sutherland, his son Chris, the Narrator, his wife Sylvia
(c) John, Sylvia, Chris, Buddha
(d) The Narrator, Chris Sutherland, John Sutherland, Sylvia
15. Above the timberline, the travelers see
(a) broadleaf trees.
(b) twisted and stunted little pine trees.
(c) a mountain lake.
(d) snowbanks and alpine meadows.
Short Answer Questions
1. The purpose of Annihilation ECS was
2. A Chautauqua is
3. In his teaching, an essay was to be developed from the basis of
4. Chris relates that whichever child saw their father first
5. John and Sylvia intensified their suffering by
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)