|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Palmer believe left the message on his cake?
2. Who does Palmer realize is the only member of the gang he is not afraid of?
3. As Palmer walks away, Nipper in his hands, what does he hear a small child say?
4. Who is on the soccer field when the gang arrives?
5. What does Dorothy do on Palmer's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Dorothy and Palmer finally get Nipper safely out of town and away from danger? How does their behavior then represent their mood?
2. How does Palmer's life change after Nipper is gone?
3. What other issue between Dorothy and Palmer comes up in Chapter 29? How does Palmer feel about the situation? How does he resolve it?
4. Palmer has an emotional roller coaster ride when he recognizes Nipper flying above the field. What different feelings wash over him including finally holding Nipper in his hands again?
5. Why does Palmer begin to question his real reasons for sending Nipper away? What does he come to understand?
6. When the gang finds out from Palmer what he did in school to deserve an after-school punishment, how do they react? How does Palmer feel? What else does he do in order to stay in school a little longer?
7. Palmer explains to Dorothy that he is conflicted about school ending. What is the conflict he feels? At the end of the chapter, the narrator says "But another school was about to begin." Can you guess what this school is, and why it is beginning?
8. What does Palmer find written on the icing of his cake later in the evening of his birthday? Who does he believe wrote it? What does he think it means?
9. When Dorothy realizes all of the things Palmer has done to keep Nipper from harm, she calls him a hero. Why does Dorothy think Palmer is a hero? Does he feel like a hero?
10. When Palmer refuses The Treatment from Farquar, what does he tell Beans when he is screaming at him? Why does he run from the gang then? What does Beans yell to Palmer as he is running away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Palmer's relationship with Dorothy and his relationship with the gang. How do the two (Dorothy and the gang) help Palmer to feel important? How do the two bring out the different sides of Palmer?
Essay Topic 2
What part does Nipper play in Palmer's life? How is this non-speaking character such a major influence in the novel? What does Nipper represent to Palmer?
Essay Topic 3
The last two chapters of the book are filled with descriptions of the sounds, smells, tastes, touches, colors and pictures of the pigeon shoot. Describe the field on that morning using as much descriptive detail from the novel as you can incorporating all of the senses.
This section contains 1,344 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)