|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Palmer cover himself up to go to school the day after Nipper lands on his head in front of the gang?
2. The next day as they leave on their bikes, where do Palmer and Dorothy tell their families they are going?
3. How does Palmer explain where he was when the gang came to his room the night before?
4. Where has Palmer hidden after running away from the gang?
5. What do Dorothy and Palmer finally decide to do with Nipper?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Dorothy and Palmer finally get Nipper safely out of town and away from danger? How does their behavior then represent their mood?
2. What does Palmer find when her gets home to his room, and what does he decide at that moment?
3. How does Palmer attempt to trick Nipper into not finding him again when he is with his friends? Describe his solution. Does it seem like this would work?
4. In Chapter 32, Beans and the gang take Palmer to find Farquar for his birthday Treatment. When Beans demands that Farquar give Palmer the Treatment, he is faced with a bully bigger than himself. How does Beans respond to Farquar? How does Palmer?
5. When Dorothy realizes all of the things Palmer has done to keep Nipper from harm, she calls him a hero. Why does Dorothy think Palmer is a hero? Does he feel like a hero?
6. Palmer makes his plan to avoid confrontation with Beans and Mutto on the night of his birthday. What is his plan, and does it work?
7. What does Palmer find written on the icing of his cake later in the evening of his birthday? Who does he believe wrote it? What does he think it means?
8. How does Palmer's life change after Nipper is gone?
9. Why does Palmer begin to question his real reasons for sending Nipper away? What does he come to understand?
10. How does Palmer react when his mother tells he she and his father have known about Nipper for months?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Dorothy says to Palmer "why are you doing this to me?" what does she mean? Why does she say this to Palmer? How does Palmer feel about what Dorothy says and about his behavior?
Essay Topic 2
How does Palmer describe the time in his life when things began to change and he realizes he does not want to be a wringer? How does this realization change his life?
Essay Topic 3
What part does Nipper play in Palmer's life? How is this non-speaking character such a major influence in the novel? What does Nipper represent to Palmer?
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)