|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Beans holding when he came to the door the morning after the party?
2. Who does Palmer believe left the message on his cake?
3. Who are the two people who did not show up for Palmer's tenth birthday party?
4. Who does Palmer find has joined his side at the shoot?
5. Where does Palmer go on his bike on Friday night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Palmer knows a lot about pigeons. What kinds of things does he know about releasing a pigeon so the bird will not be able to return home? How does he use this information with Nipper?
2. When Palmer attends the pigeon shoot this year, what does he come to realize about his memories of shoots from years passed?
3. What does Palmer find written on the icing of his cake later in the evening of his birthday? Who does he believe wrote it? What does he think it means?
4. How does Palmer react when his mother tells he she and his father have known about Nipper for months?
5. What curious thing does Palmer notice at the Titans baseball game? What does it remind him of?
6. When the gang finds out from Palmer what he did in school to deserve an after-school punishment, how do they react? How does Palmer feel? What else does he do in order to stay in school a little longer?
7. Why are Dorothy and Palmer certain they must get Nipper out of town? What other options do they have?
8. How do Dorothy and Palmer finally get Nipper safely out of town and away from danger? How does their behavior then represent their mood?
9. How does Palmer notice his father communicates with hum during Family Fest week? How does he describe this new communication?
10. Palmer has an emotional roller coaster ride when he recognizes Nipper flying above the field. What different feelings wash over him including finally holding Nipper in his hands again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Palmer goes over to Beans' house and meets his mother, he is surprised. Discuss what the house looks like, what Beans' mother is like, and why it is a surprise to Palmer.
Essay Topic 2
When Palmer's father catches the fly ball at the ballgame and gives it to Palmer, the narrator says Palmer held the ball on the way home and "imagined he felt a heartbeat." What does the narrator mean by this statement?
Essay Topic 3
When Dorothy says to Palmer "why are you doing this to me?" what does she mean? Why does she say this to Palmer? How does Palmer feel about what Dorothy says and about his behavior?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)