|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beans react to Palmer's running away from the gang?
2. At the end of the day, why does Palmer feel he can smile?
3. Why does Palmer cover himself up to go to school the day after Nipper lands on his head in front of the gang?
4. The next day as they leave on their bikes, where do Palmer and Dorothy tell their families they are going?
5. As Palmer approaches his house, what is he worried about?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 29, what is Dorothy's solution to Palmer's problem? What does she do, and how does Palmer react?
2. When Palmer refuses The Treatment from Farquar, what does he tell Beans when he is screaming at him? Why does he run from the gang then? What does Beans yell to Palmer as he is running away?
3. Palmer has an emotional roller coaster ride when he recognizes Nipper flying above the field. What different feelings wash over him including finally holding Nipper in his hands again?
4. What other issue between Dorothy and Palmer comes up in Chapter 29? How does Palmer feel about the situation? How does he resolve it?
5. In Chapter 32, Beans and the gang take Palmer to find Farquar for his birthday Treatment. When Beans demands that Farquar give Palmer the Treatment, he is faced with a bully bigger than himself. How does Beans respond to Farquar? How does Palmer?
6. When Dorothy realizes all of the things Palmer has done to keep Nipper from harm, she calls him a hero. Why does Dorothy think Palmer is a hero? Does he feel like a hero?
7. Why does Palmer begin to question his real reasons for sending Nipper away? What does he come to understand?
8. What kinds of harassment do Beans and the gang inflict on Palmer after he has walked away from the gang? Why?
9. What example have Palmer and Nipper set for the children in the town? How can he tell his experience with Nipper has changed people's lives?
10. What does Dorothy tell Palmer at the shoot that upsets him? How does he treat Dorothy? How does she respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Palmer tells Dorothy the story of learning how to float in a swimming pool. How does he relate this story to his relationship with Dorothy? Why does Palmer feel this way about Dorothy?
Essay Topic 2
Dorothy is a main character running throughout the book. Discuss Palmer's different feelings about and reactions toward Dorothy and how they change throughout the story. How does he ultimately feel about their friendship?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Beans is depicted as a mean boy and a bully. He is also responsible for the death of animals. How is Mutto depicted? How is Henry depicted? Why are these three in a gang together?
This section contains 1,383 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)