|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Palmer imagine while looking for Nipper in the pigeon crates?
2. What do the kids call the teacher of the class?
3. Where does Palmer go the night of the warning?
4. At the end of the day, why does Palmer feel he can smile?
5. What does the worker that Palmer meets give to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Dorothy and Palmer certain they must get Nipper out of town? What other options do they have?
2. When the boys line up to practice wringing a pigeon's neck, Palmer lines up with them. What is this experience like for Palmer?
3. What does Palmer find when her gets home to his room, and what does he decide at that moment?
4. When Palmer attends the pigeon shoot this year, what does he come to realize about his memories of shoots from years passed?
5. What does Dorothy tell Palmer at the shoot that upsets him? How does he treat Dorothy? How does she respond?
6. How does Palmer react when his mother tells he she and his father have known about Nipper for months?
7. What other issue between Dorothy and Palmer comes up in Chapter 29? How does Palmer feel about the situation? How does he resolve it?
8. How does Palmer notice his father communicates with hum during Family Fest week? How does he describe this new communication?
9. Why does Palmer choose Henry to invite up to his room to prove Nipper is no longer there? What happens between them when Henry is in Palmer's room?
10. What does Palmer find written on the icing of his cake later in the evening of his birthday? Who does he believe wrote it? What does he think it means?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dorothy is a main character running throughout the book. Discuss Palmer's different feelings about and reactions toward Dorothy and how they change throughout the story. How does he ultimately feel about their friendship?
Essay Topic 2
Palmer notices that after letting Nipper leave, he is less anxious and tense. However, he also realizes the price he has paid for that relief. Discuss the price Palmer feels he has paid by letting Nipper leave.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Beans is depicted as a mean boy and a bully. He is also responsible for the death of animals. How is Mutto depicted? How is Henry depicted? Why are these three in a gang together?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)