|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Palmer explain where he was when the gang came to his room the night before?
2. To what school do Beans and the gang bring Palmer?
3. Who does Palmer find has joined his side at the shoot?
4. What does Palmer hear that lets him know the visitors are gone?
5. Who brings Nipper into the meadow and then into the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Palmer's life change after Nipper is gone?
2. Palmer explains to Dorothy that he is conflicted about school ending. What is the conflict he feels? At the end of the chapter, the narrator says "But another school was about to begin." Can you guess what this school is, and why it is beginning?
3. Why are Dorothy and Palmer certain they must get Nipper out of town? What other options do they have?
4. Who does not attend Palmer's tenth birthday party and why? What do the boys want to talk to Mr. LaRue about? How does Mr. LaRue respond?
5. Palmer knows a lot about pigeons. What kinds of things does he know about releasing a pigeon so the bird will not be able to return home? How does he use this information with Nipper?
6. Palmer has an emotional roller coaster ride when he recognizes Nipper flying above the field. What different feelings wash over him including finally holding Nipper in his hands again?
7. Palmer makes his plan to avoid confrontation with Beans and Mutto on the night of his birthday. What is his plan, and does it work?
8. When the gang finds out from Palmer what he did in school to deserve an after-school punishment, how do they react? How does Palmer feel? What else does he do in order to stay in school a little longer?
9. When Palmer attends the pigeon shoot this year, what does he come to realize about his memories of shoots from years passed?
10. When Palmer refuses The Treatment from Farquar, what does he tell Beans when he is screaming at him? Why does he run from the gang then? What does Beans yell to Palmer as he is running away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dorothy is a main character running throughout the book. Discuss Palmer's different feelings about and reactions toward Dorothy and how they change throughout the story. How does he ultimately feel about their friendship?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Palmer's relationship with Dorothy and his relationship with the gang. How do the two (Dorothy and the gang) help Palmer to feel important? How do the two bring out the different sides of Palmer?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 32, Palmer makes an important observation about Henry. What is the observation, and how does it affect Palmer's behavior? Do you think Palmer's observation is correct?
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)