|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the uniforms of the Titans?
2. With whom does Palmer go to the Family Fest?
3. What are some of the ways Palmer says the gang might try to kill Nipper?
4. What does Palmer realize while hiding from the gang?
5. What happens after Nipper lands on Palmer's head?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the gang finds out from Palmer what he did in school to deserve an after-school punishment, how do they react? How does Palmer feel? What else does he do in order to stay in school a little longer?
2. In Chapter 29, what is Dorothy's solution to Palmer's problem? What does she do, and how does Palmer react?
3. Palmer is not excited on his birthday, not thrilled with presents or the presence of his friends. Many things hang heavy in his mind. What are some of the things that are troubling Palmer on his tenth birthday?
4. Why does Palmer choose Henry to invite up to his room to prove Nipper is no longer there? What happens between them when Henry is in Palmer's room?
5. Why does Palmer begin to question his real reasons for sending Nipper away? What does he come to understand?
6. What other issue between Dorothy and Palmer comes up in Chapter 29? How does Palmer feel about the situation? How does he resolve it?
7. Palmer explains to Dorothy that he is conflicted about school ending. What is the conflict he feels? At the end of the chapter, the narrator says "But another school was about to begin." Can you guess what this school is, and why it is beginning?
8. When Dorothy realizes all of the things Palmer has done to keep Nipper from harm, she calls him a hero. Why does Dorothy think Palmer is a hero? Does he feel like a hero?
9. Palmer makes his plan to avoid confrontation with Beans and Mutto on the night of his birthday. What is his plan, and does it work?
10. In Chapter 32, Beans and the gang take Palmer to find Farquar for his birthday Treatment. When Beans demands that Farquar give Palmer the Treatment, he is faced with a bully bigger than himself. How does Beans respond to Farquar? How does Palmer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are two traditions in Palmer's town that frighten him, and yet he is drawn toward them both. What are these traditions? Why do they both frighten and interest Palmer? How are these two traditions similar?
Essay Topic 2
When Palmer's father catches the fly ball at the ballgame and gives it to Palmer, the narrator says Palmer held the ball on the way home and "imagined he felt a heartbeat." What does the narrator mean by this statement?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Palmer's ninth birthday party and that of his tenth. What things are similar? What things are different? Does Palmer seem more or less mature on his tenth birthday? Why?
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)