|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Palmer's dad get for him?
2. What are some of the ways Palmer says the gang might try to kill Nipper?
3. What color are the uniforms of the Titans?
4. What does Dorothy do on Palmer's birthday?
5. How does Palmer react to what his mother tells him?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Palmer attends the pigeon shoot this year, what does he come to realize about his memories of shoots from years passed?
2. Why are Dorothy and Palmer certain they must get Nipper out of town? What other options do they have?
3. Who does not attend Palmer's tenth birthday party and why? What do the boys want to talk to Mr. LaRue about? How does Mr. LaRue respond?
4. When the gang finds out from Palmer what he did in school to deserve an after-school punishment, how do they react? How does Palmer feel? What else does he do in order to stay in school a little longer?
5. What kinds of harassment do Beans and the gang inflict on Palmer after he has walked away from the gang? Why?
6. Palmer makes his plan to avoid confrontation with Beans and Mutto on the night of his birthday. What is his plan, and does it work?
7. What does Palmer find written on the icing of his cake later in the evening of his birthday? Who does he believe wrote it? What does he think it means?
8. Why does Palmer choose Henry to invite up to his room to prove Nipper is no longer there? What happens between them when Henry is in Palmer's room?
9. Palmer has an emotional roller coaster ride when he recognizes Nipper flying above the field. What different feelings wash over him including finally holding Nipper in his hands again?
10. How does Palmer notice his father communicates with hum during Family Fest week? How does he describe this new communication?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Dorothy says to Palmer "why are you doing this to me?" what does she mean? Why does she say this to Palmer? How does Palmer feel about what Dorothy says and about his behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Palmer notices that after letting Nipper leave, he is less anxious and tense. However, he also realizes the price he has paid for that relief. Discuss the price Palmer feels he has paid by letting Nipper leave.
Essay Topic 3
When talking to Palmer about Nipper, Dorothy asks "why don't they just let him alone? What did he ever do to them?" Palmer's response is a powerful moment in the novel. What does Palmer say to Dorothy? Discuss the implications of his statement.
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)