|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the magic word according to the teacher of the class?
2. Why is Palmer feeling so badly on his birthday?
3. What does Palmer hear that lets him know the visitors are gone?
4. How does Henry behave in Palmer's room?
5. What does Palmer decide the message on his cake means?
Short Essay Questions
1. Palmer makes his plan to avoid confrontation with Beans and Mutto on the night of his birthday. What is his plan, and does it work?
2. How does Palmer attempt to trick Nipper into not finding him again when he is with his friends? Describe his solution. Does it seem like this would work?
3. What example have Palmer and Nipper set for the children in the town? How can he tell his experience with Nipper has changed people's lives?
4. How does Palmer react when his mother tells he she and his father have known about Nipper for months?
5. What does Palmer find written on the icing of his cake later in the evening of his birthday? Who does he believe wrote it? What does he think it means?
6. Palmer is not excited on his birthday, not thrilled with presents or the presence of his friends. Many things hang heavy in his mind. What are some of the things that are troubling Palmer on his tenth birthday?
7. How do Dorothy and Palmer finally get Nipper safely out of town and away from danger? How does their behavior then represent their mood?
8. What other issue between Dorothy and Palmer comes up in Chapter 29? How does Palmer feel about the situation? How does he resolve it?
9. Palmer knows a lot about pigeons. What kinds of things does he know about releasing a pigeon so the bird will not be able to return home? How does he use this information with Nipper?
10. Palmer explains to Dorothy that he is conflicted about school ending. What is the conflict he feels? At the end of the chapter, the narrator says "But another school was about to begin." Can you guess what this school is, and why it is beginning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The last scene between Dorothy and Palmer is one of anger and upset. Were there one more chapter, how might their friendship have been repaired based on what we know about their friendship? What part does Nipper play in their friendship?
Essay Topic 2
What part does Nipper play in Palmer's life? How is this non-speaking character such a major influence in the novel? What does Nipper represent to Palmer?
Essay Topic 3
When Palmer and the gang go to the railroad station in the middle of the night to see the five thousand caged pigeons for the shoot, Palmer is faced once again with a conflict of emotions. Describe the conflict in Palmer's mind and how he deals with it.
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)