|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Palmer's loneliness after Nipper is gone?
2. What condition does Palmer's mother place on his having a tenth birthday party?
3. Who does Palmer realize is the only member of the gang he is not afraid of?
4. For what does Palmer thank Henry?
5. Who comes to see Palmer's room and check that there is no pigeon in the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Dorothy and Palmer certain they must get Nipper out of town? What other options do they have?
2. How does Palmer react when his mother tells he she and his father have known about Nipper for months?
3. After refusing The Treatment and leaving the gang, Palmer again places Nipper's needs above his. What does he decide to do next?
4. In Chapter 32, Beans and the gang take Palmer to find Farquar for his birthday Treatment. When Beans demands that Farquar give Palmer the Treatment, he is faced with a bully bigger than himself. How does Beans respond to Farquar? How does Palmer?
5. What does Palmer find when her gets home to his room, and what does he decide at that moment?
6. How do Dorothy and Palmer finally get Nipper safely out of town and away from danger? How does their behavior then represent their mood?
7. What do the boys learn in wringer school? Who teaches the class? What does the teacher tell the boys is most important part of being a wringer?
8. What does Palmer find written on the icing of his cake later in the evening of his birthday? Who does he believe wrote it? What does he think it means?
9. Palmer explains to Dorothy that he is conflicted about school ending. What is the conflict he feels? At the end of the chapter, the narrator says "But another school was about to begin." Can you guess what this school is, and why it is beginning?
10. How does Palmer attempt to trick Nipper into not finding him again when he is with his friends? Describe his solution. Does it seem like this would work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel ends with the words of a small child. What are those words, and why are they important? What do the words mean to Palmer?
Essay Topic 2
When Dorothy says to Palmer "why are you doing this to me?" what does she mean? Why does she say this to Palmer? How does Palmer feel about what Dorothy says and about his behavior?
Essay Topic 3
When Palmer's father catches the fly ball at the ballgame and gives it to Palmer, the narrator says Palmer held the ball on the way home and "imagined he felt a heartbeat." What does the narrator mean by this statement?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)