|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Dorothy and Palmer return to Palmer's bedroom?
2. What is Henry's real name?
3. Where do Palmer and his friends go after cake and ice cream?
4. What happens after Nipper lands on Palmer's head?
5. What are some of the ways Palmer says the gang might try to kill Nipper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Palmer is not excited on his birthday, not thrilled with presents or the presence of his friends. Many things hang heavy in his mind. What are some of the things that are troubling Palmer on his tenth birthday?
2. After refusing The Treatment and leaving the gang, Palmer again places Nipper's needs above his. What does he decide to do next?
3. How does Palmer's life change after Nipper is gone?
4. What does Palmer find when her gets home to his room, and what does he decide at that moment?
5. What other issue between Dorothy and Palmer comes up in Chapter 29? How does Palmer feel about the situation? How does he resolve it?
6. What kinds of harassment do Beans and the gang inflict on Palmer after he has walked away from the gang? Why?
7. How do Dorothy and Palmer finally get Nipper safely out of town and away from danger? How does their behavior then represent their mood?
8. Palmer has an emotional roller coaster ride when he recognizes Nipper flying above the field. What different feelings wash over him including finally holding Nipper in his hands again?
9. Who does not attend Palmer's tenth birthday party and why? What do the boys want to talk to Mr. LaRue about? How does Mr. LaRue respond?
10. When Dorothy realizes all of the things Palmer has done to keep Nipper from harm, she calls him a hero. Why does Dorothy think Palmer is a hero? Does he feel like a hero?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 32, Palmer makes an important observation about Henry. What is the observation, and how does it affect Palmer's behavior? Do you think Palmer's observation is correct?
Essay Topic 2
When Palmer and the gang go to the railroad station in the middle of the night to see the five thousand caged pigeons for the shoot, Palmer is faced once again with a conflict of emotions. Describe the conflict in Palmer's mind and how he deals with it.
Essay Topic 3
Dorothy is a main character running throughout the book. Discuss Palmer's different feelings about and reactions toward Dorothy and how they change throughout the story. How does he ultimately feel about their friendship?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)