|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Palmer thank Henry?
2. Where does Palmer's dad take him one evening, just the two of them?
3. What does Palmer come to realize about releasing Nipper?
4. What does Palmer's dad get for him?
5. What does Palmer explain to Dorothy when he tells her about his afternoon disagreement with the gang?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Dorothy realizes all of the things Palmer has done to keep Nipper from harm, she calls him a hero. Why does Dorothy think Palmer is a hero? Does he feel like a hero?
2. In Chapter 32, Beans and the gang take Palmer to find Farquar for his birthday Treatment. When Beans demands that Farquar give Palmer the Treatment, he is faced with a bully bigger than himself. How does Beans respond to Farquar? How does Palmer?
3. Palmer has an emotional roller coaster ride when he recognizes Nipper flying above the field. What different feelings wash over him including finally holding Nipper in his hands again?
4. What does Palmer find when her gets home to his room, and what does he decide at that moment?
5. How does Palmer notice his father communicates with hum during Family Fest week? How does he describe this new communication?
6. What example have Palmer and Nipper set for the children in the town? How can he tell his experience with Nipper has changed people's lives?
7. After refusing The Treatment and leaving the gang, Palmer again places Nipper's needs above his. What does he decide to do next?
8. What kinds of harassment do Beans and the gang inflict on Palmer after he has walked away from the gang? Why?
9. How does Palmer react when his mother tells he she and his father have known about Nipper for months?
10. When Palmer refuses The Treatment from Farquar, what does he tell Beans when he is screaming at him? Why does he run from the gang then? What does Beans yell to Palmer as he is running away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The last two chapters of the book are filled with descriptions of the sounds, smells, tastes, touches, colors and pictures of the pigeon shoot. Describe the field on that morning using as much descriptive detail from the novel as you can incorporating all of the senses.
Essay Topic 2
When Dorothy says to Palmer "why are you doing this to me?" what does she mean? Why does she say this to Palmer? How does Palmer feel about what Dorothy says and about his behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Palmer's ninth birthday party and that of his tenth. What things are similar? What things are different? Does Palmer seem more or less mature on his tenth birthday? Why?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)