|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Palmer go the night of the warning?
2. The next day as they leave on their bikes, where do Palmer and Dorothy tell their families they are going?
3. Who does Palmer realize is the only member of the gang he is not afraid of?
4. What does Miss Kiner ask Palmer to do as punishment?
5. What did Palmer notice Mutto was carrying in his pocket on the way home from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Palmer makes his plan to avoid confrontation with Beans and Mutto on the night of his birthday. What is his plan, and does it work?
2. How does Palmer notice his father communicates with hum during Family Fest week? How does he describe this new communication?
3. Why does Palmer begin to question his real reasons for sending Nipper away? What does he come to understand?
4. After refusing The Treatment and leaving the gang, Palmer again places Nipper's needs above his. What does he decide to do next?
5. How does Palmer react when his mother tells he she and his father have known about Nipper for months?
6. When Dorothy realizes all of the things Palmer has done to keep Nipper from harm, she calls him a hero. Why does Dorothy think Palmer is a hero? Does he feel like a hero?
7. What does Palmer find written on the icing of his cake later in the evening of his birthday? Who does he believe wrote it? What does he think it means?
8. In Chapter 29, what is Dorothy's solution to Palmer's problem? What does she do, and how does Palmer react?
9. When the gang finds out from Palmer what he did in school to deserve an after-school punishment, how do they react? How does Palmer feel? What else does he do in order to stay in school a little longer?
10. What curious thing does Palmer notice at the Titans baseball game? What does it remind him of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are two traditions in Palmer's town that frighten him, and yet he is drawn toward them both. What are these traditions? Why do they both frighten and interest Palmer? How are these two traditions similar?
Essay Topic 2
Dorothy is a main character running throughout the book. Discuss Palmer's different feelings about and reactions toward Dorothy and how they change throughout the story. How does he ultimately feel about their friendship?
Essay Topic 3
When Palmer goes over to Beans' house and meets his mother, he is surprised. Discuss what the house looks like, what Beans' mother is like, and why it is a surprise to Palmer.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)