|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the sacrifices Palmer sees he has made in order to save Nipper?
2. What condition does Palmer's mother place on his having a tenth birthday party?
3. For what does Palmer thank Henry?
4. How does Palmer react to what his mother tells him?
5. What does Palmer's mother tell him she has seen on the stairway of the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Palmer find written on the icing of his cake later in the evening of his birthday? Who does he believe wrote it? What does he think it means?
2. Why does Palmer begin to question his real reasons for sending Nipper away? What does he come to understand?
3. What kinds of harassment do Beans and the gang inflict on Palmer after he has walked away from the gang? Why?
4. Why are Dorothy and Palmer certain they must get Nipper out of town? What other options do they have?
5. What do the boys learn in wringer school? Who teaches the class? What does the teacher tell the boys is most important part of being a wringer?
6. When the gang finds out from Palmer what he did in school to deserve an after-school punishment, how do they react? How does Palmer feel? What else does he do in order to stay in school a little longer?
7. Palmer explains to Dorothy that he is conflicted about school ending. What is the conflict he feels? At the end of the chapter, the narrator says "But another school was about to begin." Can you guess what this school is, and why it is beginning?
8. How does Palmer notice his father communicates with hum during Family Fest week? How does he describe this new communication?
9. When Palmer refuses The Treatment from Farquar, what does he tell Beans when he is screaming at him? Why does he run from the gang then? What does Beans yell to Palmer as he is running away?
10. How does Palmer attempt to trick Nipper into not finding him again when he is with his friends? Describe his solution. Does it seem like this would work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Palmer's reaction to his mother's confession that she has known about Nipper for months. What does he feel? What does he tell her? How does this experience give him courage?
Essay Topic 2
When Dorothy says to Palmer "why are you doing this to me?" what does she mean? Why does she say this to Palmer? How does Palmer feel about what Dorothy says and about his behavior?
Essay Topic 3
When talking to Palmer about Nipper, Dorothy asks "why don't they just let him alone? What did he ever do to them?" Palmer's response is a powerful moment in the novel. What does Palmer say to Dorothy? Discuss the implications of his statement.
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)