|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Fishface?
2. What do the boys leave at Fishface's front door?
3. What does Beans do when he sees a pigeon in the sky?
4. Where does Palmer imagine Beans lives?
5. What does the pigeon do when Palmer opens the window the second evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Palmer comes home after the boys see a pigeon flying overhead and he cries. Why is he crying? What does he admit about his day?
2. When Beans has his tenth birthday party, he invites the gang to his house and then leaves with them to find Farquar. Again, The Treatment is part of the story. How does Beans anticipate The Treatment and his birthday in general? How is Beans' reaction different from that of Palmer?
3. How does Palmer react when the gang tell him they believe he has a pigeon for a pet? What does Palmer want the gang to believe and why?
4. When Palmer returns from Beans' birthday party he finds Dorothy waiting in his room. She sarcastically calls him Snots and talks about his gang. What does she say, and what does she really mean?
5. Palmer tries to explain to Dorothy why he cannot tell people he does not want to be a wringer. What kinds of pressure does he feel? How does he think people will react?
6. Palmer finally becomes old enough to read the inscription on his father's trophy in the den. What did he pretend it said when he was younger? What does it really say? How does Palmer respond to learning what the words actually are?
7. In Chapter 15, Palmer goes through a series of emotional reactions to the pigeon tapping on his window. What are some of those reactions?
8. For his birthday, Palmer gets an old apple core, an old sock, and a cigar butt from his new friends. What makes these gifts special? How does Palmer react to his mother's gifts?
9. When Palmer opens the door on his birthday and finds Beans, Mutto and Henry there, he is elated. Why? Who are these boys? What do they represent in Palmer's life?
10. How does Palmer come up with the name for his pigeon? What do people feel about animals when they name them? How does Palmer feel about his pigeon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When talking to Palmer about Nipper, Dorothy asks "why don't they just let him alone? What did he ever do to them?" Palmer's response is a powerful moment in the novel. What does Palmer say to Dorothy? Discuss the implications of his statement.
Essay Topic 2
The last scene between Dorothy and Palmer is one of anger and upset. Were there one more chapter, how might their friendship have been repaired based on what we know about their friendship? What part does Nipper play in their friendship?
Essay Topic 3
Palmer tells Dorothy the story of learning how to float in a swimming pool. How does he relate this story to his relationship with Dorothy? Why does Palmer feel this way about Dorothy?
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)