|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Palmer give Beans for his birthday?
2. Before going to sleep, what does Palmer do with his flashlight?
3. Why does Nipper fly around the house once or twice before flying away in the morning?
4. Where does Palmer's pigeon sleep?
5. What are some of the things Palmer apologizes for?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Palmer returns from Beans' birthday party he finds Dorothy waiting in his room. She sarcastically calls him Snots and talks about his gang. What does she say, and what does she really mean?
2. In Chapter 15, Palmer goes through a series of emotional reactions to the pigeon tapping on his window. What are some of those reactions?
3. How does Palmer react when the gang tell him they believe he has a pigeon for a pet? What does Palmer want the gang to believe and why?
4. How does Palmer come up with the name for his pigeon? What do people feel about animals when they name them? How does Palmer feel about his pigeon?
5. In Chapter Seven, how does Dorothy treat Palmer when he comes to show her his arm? How does he react?
6. What are some of Palmer's memories of his first pigeon shoot? What does this tell us about Palmer?
7. Palmer begins to identify a certain smell associated with the pigeon shoot. Describe the smell and how it injects itself into Palmer's life.
8. Palmer tries to explain to Dorothy why he cannot tell people he does not want to be a wringer. What kinds of pressure does he feel? How does he think people will react?
9. Who does Palmer find in his room the night before the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
10. What does Beans pull out of the freezer when the gang is at his house? What does he do with it? The author does not tell us how Palmer feels about what Beans has done. Based on what you know of Palmer, how does he feel about the prank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Palmer goes over to Beans' house and meets his mother, he is surprised. Discuss what the house looks like, what Beans' mother is like, and why it is a surprise to Palmer.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 32, Palmer makes an important observation about Henry. What is the observation, and how does it affect Palmer's behavior? Do you think Palmer's observation is correct?
Essay Topic 3
When Palmer and the gang go to the railroad station in the middle of the night to see the five thousand caged pigeons for the shoot, Palmer is faced once again with a conflict of emotions. Describe the conflict in Palmer's mind and how he deals with it.
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)