|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the one person who does not care about Palmer's bruised arm?
2. Who does Palmer find in his room when he comes home from Beans's party?
3. Who is tapping at Palmer's window early one morning?
4. What hovers before Palmer's eyes before he runs after his friends to the playground?
5. How does Palmer describe the feeling he has when he is with Dorothy?
Short Essay Questions
1. For his birthday, Palmer gets an old apple core, an old sock, and a cigar butt from his new friends. What makes these gifts special? How does Palmer react to his mother's gifts?
2. In Chapter Three, Palmer joins his new friends out on the street. When Beans asks about Dorothy, Palmer does not answer at first. How does Palmer initially react to the gang's behavior toward Dorothy? Why does he join them as they run down the street after their prank?
3. What scene do Mutto, Beans and Henry enact at the park? How does Palmer react to their display? Why does he react this way?
4. When Palmer returns from Beans' birthday party he finds Dorothy waiting in his room. She sarcastically calls him Snots and talks about his gang. What does she say, and what does she really mean?
5. How does Palmer come up with the name for his pigeon? What do people feel about animals when they name them? How does Palmer feel about his pigeon?
6. Who does Palmer find in his room the night before the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
7. How does Palmer react when the gang tell him they believe he has a pigeon for a pet? What does Palmer want the gang to believe and why?
8. What chores does Palmer offer to do for himself? Why does he offer to take care of his own room?
9. When the gang attacks Dorothy with snow balls on the first day of school, Palmer joins in without hesitation. How does he rationalize his behavior toward her?
10. How do Palmer's parents react to The Treatment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are two traditions in Palmer's town that frighten him, and yet he is drawn toward them both. What are these traditions? Why do they both frighten and interest Palmer? How are these two traditions similar?
Essay Topic 2
When Palmer and the gang go to the railroad station in the middle of the night to see the five thousand caged pigeons for the shoot, Palmer is faced once again with a conflict of emotions. Describe the conflict in Palmer's mind and how he deals with it.
Essay Topic 3
The last two chapters of the book are filled with descriptions of the sounds, smells, tastes, touches, colors and pictures of the pigeon shoot. Describe the field on that morning using as much descriptive detail from the novel as you can incorporating all of the senses.
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)