|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Palmer react to Bean's accusation?
2. What does Beans tell the gang?
3. When Palmer asks his mother why the boy wrung the pigeon's neck, what does she say?
4. What do the boys see after pulling their prank at Dorothy's house?
5. What does Palmer feed the pigeon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Palmer describes the wish he should make after Nipper has been seen in the sky by the gang. What is that wish? Why can't he make that wish?
2. When the gang attacks Dorothy with snow balls on the first day of school, Palmer joins in without hesitation. How does he rationalize his behavior toward her?
3. Once he has decided to name and keep Nipper, Palmer realizes he must divert the gang from coming to his house. Why does he want to keep the boys away? What are some of the excuses he invents?
4. How does Palmer come up with the name for his pigeon? What do people feel about animals when they name them? How does Palmer feel about his pigeon?
5. Palmer waits for Nipper to return in Chapter 22 and by nightfall Nipper has not done so. How does Palmer react to the pigeon's disappearance? How does his mood change when Nipper returns? What important decision does Palmer make when Nipper returns?
6. Who does Palmer find in his room the night before the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
7. What chores does Palmer offer to do for himself? Why does he offer to take care of his own room?
8. How does Palmer react when the gang tell him they believe he has a pigeon for a pet? What does Palmer want the gang to believe and why?
9. In Chapter Seven, how does Dorothy treat Palmer when he comes to show her his arm? How does he react?
10. What does Beans pull out of the freezer when the gang is at his house? What does he do with it? The author does not tell us how Palmer feels about what Beans has done. Based on what you know of Palmer, how does he feel about the prank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel ends with the words of a small child. What are those words, and why are they important? What do the words mean to Palmer?
Essay Topic 2
When Palmer goes over to Beans' house and meets his mother, he is surprised. Discuss what the house looks like, what Beans' mother is like, and why it is a surprise to Palmer.
Essay Topic 3
What part does Nipper play in Palmer's life? How is this non-speaking character such a major influence in the novel? What does Nipper represent to Palmer?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)