|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Palmer and the gang attack with snowballs on their way to school one morning?
2. What does Beans have in the frozen spaghetti and meatballs container in his freezer?
3. Who does Palmer decide to tell about his pet Nipper?
4. How does the pigeon wake Palmer in the mornings?
5. What does Palmer think to himself when Beans makes his announcement to his friends at the soccer field?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Palmer attends the pigeon shoot this year, what does he come to realize about his memories of shoots from years passed?
2. After refusing The Treatment and leaving the gang, Palmer again places Nipper's needs above his. What does he decide to do next?
3. When Palmer refuses The Treatment from Farquar, what does he tell Beans when he is screaming at him? Why does he run from the gang then? What does Beans yell to Palmer as he is running away?
4. Palmer begins to identify a certain smell associated with the pigeon shoot. Describe the smell and how it injects itself into Palmer's life.
5. When Beans has his tenth birthday party, he invites the gang to his house and then leaves with them to find Farquar. Again, The Treatment is part of the story. How does Beans anticipate The Treatment and his birthday in general? How is Beans' reaction different from that of Palmer?
6. How does Palmer come up with the name for his pigeon? What do people feel about animals when they name them? How does Palmer feel about his pigeon?
7. What are some of Palmer's memories of his first pigeon shoot? What does this tell us about Palmer?
8. When Dorothy realizes all of the things Palmer has done to keep Nipper from harm, she calls him a hero. Why does Dorothy think Palmer is a hero? Does he feel like a hero?
9. Palmer tries to explain to Dorothy why he cannot tell people he does not want to be a wringer. What kinds of pressure does he feel? How does he think people will react?
10. What chores does Palmer offer to do for himself? Why does he offer to take care of his own room?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Palmer's relationship with Dorothy and his relationship with the gang. How do the two (Dorothy and the gang) help Palmer to feel important? How do the two bring out the different sides of Palmer?
Essay Topic 2
Dorothy is a main character running throughout the book. Discuss Palmer's different feelings about and reactions toward Dorothy and how they change throughout the story. How does he ultimately feel about their friendship?
Essay Topic 3
The last scene between Dorothy and Palmer is one of anger and upset. Were there one more chapter, how might their friendship have been repaired based on what we know about their friendship? What part does Nipper play in their friendship?
This section contains 1,884 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)