|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before going to sleep, what does Palmer do with his flashlight?
2. What does Palmer feed the pigeon?
3. Who is the one person who does not care about Palmer's bruised arm?
4. What does Palmer ask the boys to check him for when the bird is gone?
5. What does Palmer give Beans for his birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Palmer comes home after the boys see a pigeon flying overhead and he cries. Why is he crying? What does he admit about his day?
2. Palmer asks his mother for a favor. What is the favor, and why does Palmer ask her? How does he explain this to his mother?
3. Palmer waits for Nipper to return in Chapter 22 and by nightfall Nipper has not done so. How does Palmer react to the pigeon's disappearance? How does his mood change when Nipper returns? What important decision does Palmer make when Nipper returns?
4. What chores does Palmer offer to do for himself? Why does he offer to take care of his own room?
5. What example have Palmer and Nipper set for the children in the town? How can he tell his experience with Nipper has changed people's lives?
6. What scene do Mutto, Beans and Henry enact at the park? How does Palmer react to their display? Why does he react this way?
7. In Chapter 15, Palmer goes through a series of emotional reactions to the pigeon tapping on his window. What are some of those reactions?
8. When Palmer refuses The Treatment from Farquar, what does he tell Beans when he is screaming at him? Why does he run from the gang then? What does Beans yell to Palmer as he is running away?
9. When Palmer opens the door on his birthday and finds Beans, Mutto and Henry there, he is elated. Why? Who are these boys? What do they represent in Palmer's life?
10. When the gang finds out from Palmer what he did in school to deserve an after-school punishment, how do they react? How does Palmer feel? What else does he do in order to stay in school a little longer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Palmer's father catches the fly ball at the ballgame and gives it to Palmer, the narrator says Palmer held the ball on the way home and "imagined he felt a heartbeat." What does the narrator mean by this statement?
Essay Topic 2
The last two chapters of the book are filled with descriptions of the sounds, smells, tastes, touches, colors and pictures of the pigeon shoot. Describe the field on that morning using as much descriptive detail from the novel as you can incorporating all of the senses.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Beans is depicted as a mean boy and a bully. He is also responsible for the death of animals. How is Mutto depicted? How is Henry depicted? Why are these three in a gang together?
This section contains 1,814 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)