|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many different colors does Palmer count on the pigeon while the bird eats?
2. In Palmer's dream, what does a pigeon's eye look like?
3. What does Palmer feed the pigeon?
4. How does Palmer learn about pigeons?
5. What smell comes to Palmer's nose as he walks onto the soccer field?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once he has decided to name and keep Nipper, Palmer realizes he must divert the gang from coming to his house. Why does he want to keep the boys away? What are some of the excuses he invents?
2. For his birthday, Palmer gets an old apple core, an old sock, and a cigar butt from his new friends. What makes these gifts special? How does Palmer react to his mother's gifts?
3. In Chapter 15, Palmer goes through a series of emotional reactions to the pigeon tapping on his window. What are some of those reactions?
4. When Palmer opens the door on his birthday and finds Beans, Mutto and Henry there, he is elated. Why? Who are these boys? What do they represent in Palmer's life?
5. When Palmer returns from Beans' birthday party he finds Dorothy waiting in his room. She sarcastically calls him Snots and talks about his gang. What does she say, and what does she really mean?
6. What are some of Palmer's memories of his first pigeon shoot? What does this tell us about Palmer?
7. How does Palmer come up with the name for his pigeon? What do people feel about animals when they name them? How does Palmer feel about his pigeon?
8. Beans begins to escalate the treestumping of Dorothy to get a reaction from her, but she gives him none. His cruel behavior escalates until Dorothy finally does react. What is her reaction, and how does this affect Palmer?
9. How do Palmer's parents react to The Treatment?
10. Palmer tries to explain to Dorothy why he cannot tell people he does not want to be a wringer. What kinds of pressure does he feel? How does he think people will react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Palmer tells Dorothy the story of learning how to float in a swimming pool. How does he relate this story to his relationship with Dorothy? Why does Palmer feel this way about Dorothy?
Essay Topic 2
How does Palmer describe the time in his life when things began to change and he realizes he does not want to be a wringer? How does this realization change his life?
Essay Topic 3
When Palmer and the gang go to the railroad station in the middle of the night to see the five thousand caged pigeons for the shoot, Palmer is faced once again with a conflict of emotions. Describe the conflict in Palmer's mind and how he deals with it.
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)