Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Palmer on his first Pigeon Day?
2. Why does Nipper fly around the house once or twice before flying away in the morning?
3. How does Dorothy finally handle the situation?
4. What smell comes to Palmer's nose as he walks onto the soccer field?
5. How many pigeons are gathered for the pigeon shoot, according to Palmer's dad?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Palmer attends the pigeon shoot this year, what does he come to realize about his memories of shoots from years passed?
2. What do the boys learn in wringer school? Who teaches the class? What does the teacher tell the boys is most important part of being a wringer?
3. In Chapter Seven, how does Dorothy treat Palmer when he comes to show her his arm? How does he react?
4. Palmer makes his plan to avoid confrontation with Beans and Mutto on the night of his birthday. What is his plan, and does it work?
5. How does Palmer come up with the name for his pigeon? What do people feel about animals when they name them? How does Palmer feel about his pigeon?
6. Who does Palmer find in his room the night before the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
7. What is The Treatment? What does it mean to Palmer to receive The Treatment? What does Palmer get after getting through The Treatment?
8. How do Palmer's parents react to The Treatment?
9. Why does Palmer begin to question his real reasons for sending Nipper away? What does he come to understand?
10. Palmer comes home after the boys see a pigeon flying overhead and he cries. Why is he crying? What does he admit about his day?
Essay Topic 1
When Palmer goes over to Beans' house and meets his mother, he is surprised. Discuss what the house looks like, what Beans' mother is like, and why it is a surprise to Palmer.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 32, Palmer makes an important observation about Henry. What is the observation, and how does it affect Palmer's behavior? Do you think Palmer's observation is correct?
Essay Topic 3
When talking to Palmer about Nipper, Dorothy asks "why don't they just let him alone? What did he ever do to them?" Palmer's response is a powerful moment in the novel. What does Palmer say to Dorothy? Discuss the implications of his statement.
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)