|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the boys go in the middle of the night?
2. What does Palmer declare in front of the gang?
3. For the gang, what makes a birthday official?
4. In Palmer's dream, what does a pigeon's eye look like?
5. What other things does Beans do to try and get a reaction from Dorothy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Palmer asks his mother for a favor. What is the favor, and why does Palmer ask her? How does he explain this to his mother?
2. What is The Treatment? What does it mean to Palmer to receive The Treatment? What does Palmer get after getting through The Treatment?
3. How does Palmer resolve his problems of meeting his friends at the cannon on the day of the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
4. How does Palmer react in Chapter 13 when he is awakened by tapping? Who does he think is at the window? What does he find?
5. When Palmer returns from Beans' birthday party he finds Dorothy waiting in his room. She sarcastically calls him Snots and talks about his gang. What does she say, and what does she really mean?
6. What does Beans pull out of the freezer when the gang is at his house? What does he do with it? The author does not tell us how Palmer feels about what Beans has done. Based on what you know of Palmer, how does he feel about the prank?
7. Palmer begins to identify a certain smell associated with the pigeon shoot. Describe the smell and how it injects itself into Palmer's life.
8. Palmer describes the wish he should make after Nipper has been seen in the sky by the gang. What is that wish? Why can't he make that wish?
9. What chores does Palmer offer to do for himself? Why does he offer to take care of his own room?
10. Palmer waits for Nipper to return in Chapter 22 and by nightfall Nipper has not done so. How does Palmer react to the pigeon's disappearance? How does his mood change when Nipper returns? What important decision does Palmer make when Nipper returns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Palmer's father catches the fly ball at the ballgame and gives it to Palmer, the narrator says Palmer held the ball on the way home and "imagined he felt a heartbeat." What does the narrator mean by this statement?
Essay Topic 2
The novel ends with the words of a small child. What are those words, and why are they important? What do the words mean to Palmer?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Palmer's reaction to his mother's confession that she has known about Nipper for months. What does he feel? What does he tell her? How does this experience give him courage?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)