|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys begin yelling at the park when they are playing their game?
2. How does Palmer describe the feeling he has when he is with Dorothy?
3. What does Palmer give Beans for his birthday?
4. For the gang, what makes a birthday official?
5. What new experience does Palmer have when falling asleep after talking to his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scene do Mutto, Beans and Henry enact at the park? How does Palmer react to their display? Why does he react this way?
2. Who does Palmer find in his room the night before the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
3. Beans begins to escalate the treestumping of Dorothy to get a reaction from her, but she gives him none. His cruel behavior escalates until Dorothy finally does react. What is her reaction, and how does this affect Palmer?
4. For his birthday, Palmer gets an old apple core, an old sock, and a cigar butt from his new friends. What makes these gifts special? How does Palmer react to his mother's gifts?
5. How does Palmer react when the gang tell him they believe he has a pigeon for a pet? What does Palmer want the gang to believe and why?
6. In Chapter Three, Palmer joins his new friends out on the street. When Beans asks about Dorothy, Palmer does not answer at first. How does Palmer initially react to the gang's behavior toward Dorothy? Why does he join them as they run down the street after their prank?
7. When the gang attacks Dorothy with snow balls on the first day of school, Palmer joins in without hesitation. How does he rationalize his behavior toward her?
8. Palmer comes home after the boys see a pigeon flying overhead and he cries. Why is he crying? What does he admit about his day?
9. What chores does Palmer offer to do for himself? Why does he offer to take care of his own room?
10. Palmer begins to identify a certain smell associated with the pigeon shoot. Describe the smell and how it injects itself into Palmer's life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Palmer's reaction to his mother's confession that she has known about Nipper for months. What does he feel? What does he tell her? How does this experience give him courage?
Essay Topic 2
Palmer notices that after letting Nipper leave, he is less anxious and tense. However, he also realizes the price he has paid for that relief. Discuss the price Palmer feels he has paid by letting Nipper leave.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Palmer's ninth birthday party and that of his tenth. What things are similar? What things are different? Does Palmer seem more or less mature on his tenth birthday? Why?
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)