|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For the gang, what makes a birthday official?
2. As Palmer and the gang continue treestumping and teasing Dorothy, what does Palmer expect to happen?
3. What do Beans, Mutto, Henry and Palmer sometimes call themselves?
4. What does Palmer hear in his dream on the night of his birthday?
5. What does Beans have in the frozen spaghetti and meatballs container in his freezer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Beans pull out of the freezer when the gang is at his house? What does he do with it? The author does not tell us how Palmer feels about what Beans has done. Based on what you know of Palmer, how does he feel about the prank?
2. How does Palmer resolve his problems of meeting his friends at the cannon on the day of the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
3. Beans begins to escalate the treestumping of Dorothy to get a reaction from her, but she gives him none. His cruel behavior escalates until Dorothy finally does react. What is her reaction, and how does this affect Palmer?
4. When the gang attacks Dorothy with snow balls on the first day of school, Palmer joins in without hesitation. How does he rationalize his behavior toward her?
5. Palmer tries to explain to Dorothy why he cannot tell people he does not want to be a wringer. What kinds of pressure does he feel? How does he think people will react?
6. Who does Palmer find in his room the night before the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
7. How does Palmer react in Chapter 13 when he is awakened by tapping? Who does he think is at the window? What does he find?
8. Palmer asks his mother for a favor. What is the favor, and why does Palmer ask her? How does he explain this to his mother?
9. In Chapter Seven, how does Dorothy treat Palmer when he comes to show her his arm? How does he react?
10. How does Palmer react when the gang tell him they believe he has a pigeon for a pet? What does Palmer want the gang to believe and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Palmer's relationship with Dorothy and his relationship with the gang. How do the two (Dorothy and the gang) help Palmer to feel important? How do the two bring out the different sides of Palmer?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Palmer's reaction to his mother's confession that she has known about Nipper for months. What does he feel? What does he tell her? How does this experience give him courage?
Essay Topic 3
How does Palmer describe the time in his life when things began to change and he realizes he does not want to be a wringer? How does this realization change his life?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)