|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Palmer know he should wish but cannot?
2. Who is tapping at Palmer's window early one morning?
3. What hovers before Palmer's eyes before he runs after his friends to the playground?
4. What does Palmer hear in his dream on the night of his birthday?
5. What name does Palmer give his pigeon?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the gang attacks Dorothy with snow balls on the first day of school, Palmer joins in without hesitation. How does he rationalize his behavior toward her?
2. Palmer is not excited on his birthday, not thrilled with presents or the presence of his friends. Many things hang heavy in his mind. What are some of the things that are troubling Palmer on his tenth birthday?
3. What is The Treatment? What does it mean to Palmer to receive The Treatment? What does Palmer get after getting through The Treatment?
4. What scene do Mutto, Beans and Henry enact at the park? How does Palmer react to their display? Why does he react this way?
5. What other issue between Dorothy and Palmer comes up in Chapter 29? How does Palmer feel about the situation? How does he resolve it?
6. What kinds of harassment do Beans and the gang inflict on Palmer after he has walked away from the gang? Why?
7. Palmer asks his mother for a favor. What is the favor, and why does Palmer ask her? How does he explain this to his mother?
8. In Chapter Seven, how does Dorothy treat Palmer when he comes to show her his arm? How does he react?
9. Who does Palmer find in his room the night before the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
10. Palmer describes the wish he should make after Nipper has been seen in the sky by the gang. What is that wish? Why can't he make that wish?
Essay Topic 1
When Palmer goes over to Beans' house and meets his mother, he is surprised. Discuss what the house looks like, what Beans' mother is like, and why it is a surprise to Palmer.
Essay Topic 2
When Dorothy says to Palmer "why are you doing this to me?" what does she mean? Why does she say this to Palmer? How does Palmer feel about what Dorothy says and about his behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Palmer's relationship with Dorothy and his relationship with the gang. How do the two (Dorothy and the gang) help Palmer to feel important? How do the two bring out the different sides of Palmer?
This section contains 1,822 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)