|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Palmer and the gang continue treestumping and teasing Dorothy, what does Palmer expect to happen?
2. How does Palmer learn about pigeons?
3. What does Palmer feel "lurking in shadowy doorways"?
4. What diversion does Palmer create to keep the gang from coming to his house?
5. What are the presents the boys give Palmer?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 25, Palmer has a wonderful day in which he is relaxed and happy. The day dissolves into emotional distress. What happens to make Palmer nervous and upset? What two parts of Palmer's personality come into conflict?
2. Beans begins to escalate the treestumping of Dorothy to get a reaction from her, but she gives him none. His cruel behavior escalates until Dorothy finally does react. What is her reaction, and how does this affect Palmer?
3. Who does Palmer find in his room the night before the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
4. Palmer describes the wish he should make after Nipper has been seen in the sky by the gang. What is that wish? Why can't he make that wish?
5. How do Palmer's parents react to The Treatment?
6. In Chapter Three, Palmer joins his new friends out on the street. When Beans asks about Dorothy, Palmer does not answer at first. How does Palmer initially react to the gang's behavior toward Dorothy? Why does he join them as they run down the street after their prank?
7. What chores does Palmer offer to do for himself? Why does he offer to take care of his own room?
8. When the boys find Farquar, he is on the soccer field and all but Palmer rush over to see him. Why does Palmer lag behind? What is he experiencing walking onto the field?
9. Palmer comes home after the boys see a pigeon flying overhead and he cries. Why is he crying? What does he admit about his day?
10. When Palmer opens the door on his birthday and finds Beans, Mutto and Henry there, he is elated. Why? Who are these boys? What do they represent in Palmer's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel ends with the words of a small child. What are those words, and why are they important? What do the words mean to Palmer?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 32, Palmer makes an important observation about Henry. What is the observation, and how does it affect Palmer's behavior? Do you think Palmer's observation is correct?
Essay Topic 3
What part does Nipper play in Palmer's life? How is this non-speaking character such a major influence in the novel? What does Nipper represent to Palmer?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)