|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the boys see at the playground on Palmer's birthday?
2. What does Palmer think to himself when Beans makes his announcement to his friends at the soccer field?
3. Where does Palmer imagine Beans lives?
4. What does Palmer give Dorothy to use in hopes of getting Nipper to stand on her head?
5. When Palmer asks his mother why the boy wrung the pigeon's neck, what does she say?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Beans has his tenth birthday party, he invites the gang to his house and then leaves with them to find Farquar. Again, The Treatment is part of the story. How does Beans anticipate The Treatment and his birthday in general? How is Beans' reaction different from that of Palmer?
2. Palmer asks his mother for a favor. What is the favor, and why does Palmer ask her? How does he explain this to his mother?
3. What are some of Palmer's memories of his first pigeon shoot? What does this tell us about Palmer?
4. Who does Palmer find in his room the night before the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
5. Palmer waits for Nipper to return in Chapter 22 and by nightfall Nipper has not done so. How does Palmer react to the pigeon's disappearance? How does his mood change when Nipper returns? What important decision does Palmer make when Nipper returns?
6. How does Palmer react in Chapter 13 when he is awakened by tapping? Who does he think is at the window? What does he find?
7. In Chapter Three, Palmer joins his new friends out on the street. When Beans asks about Dorothy, Palmer does not answer at first. How does Palmer initially react to the gang's behavior toward Dorothy? Why does he join them as they run down the street after their prank?
8. Palmer describes the wish he should make after Nipper has been seen in the sky by the gang. What is that wish? Why can't he make that wish?
9. Palmer begins to identify a certain smell associated with the pigeon shoot. Describe the smell and how it injects itself into Palmer's life.
10. How does Palmer come up with the name for his pigeon? What do people feel about animals when they name them? How does Palmer feel about his pigeon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Palmer tells Dorothy the story of learning how to float in a swimming pool. How does he relate this story to his relationship with Dorothy? Why does Palmer feel this way about Dorothy?
Essay Topic 2
The novel ends with the words of a small child. What are those words, and why are they important? What do the words mean to Palmer?
Essay Topic 3
What part does Nipper play in Palmer's life? How is this non-speaking character such a major influence in the novel? What does Nipper represent to Palmer?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)