|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Palmer believe he will receive from lasting out his time with Farquar?
2. What do the boys leave at Fishface's front door?
3. What does Palmer know he should wish but cannot?
4. How does Palmer react to Bean's accusation?
5. What does Palmer think about Henry when they are playing at the park?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Beans pull out of the freezer when the gang is at his house? What does he do with it? The author does not tell us how Palmer feels about what Beans has done. Based on what you know of Palmer, how does he feel about the prank?
2. Beans begins to escalate the treestumping of Dorothy to get a reaction from her, but she gives him none. His cruel behavior escalates until Dorothy finally does react. What is her reaction, and how does this affect Palmer?
3. How does Palmer react in Chapter 13 when he is awakened by tapping? Who does he think is at the window? What does he find?
4. Palmer waits for Nipper to return in Chapter 22 and by nightfall Nipper has not done so. How does Palmer react to the pigeon's disappearance? How does his mood change when Nipper returns? What important decision does Palmer make when Nipper returns?
5. Palmer asks his mother for a favor. What is the favor, and why does Palmer ask her? How does he explain this to his mother?
6. Who does Palmer find in his room the night before the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
7. When the gang attacks Dorothy with snow balls on the first day of school, Palmer joins in without hesitation. How does he rationalize his behavior toward her?
8. In Chapter 25, Palmer has a wonderful day in which he is relaxed and happy. The day dissolves into emotional distress. What happens to make Palmer nervous and upset? What two parts of Palmer's personality come into conflict?
9. What chores does Palmer offer to do for himself? Why does he offer to take care of his own room?
10. Palmer comes home after the boys see a pigeon flying overhead and he cries. Why is he crying? What does he admit about his day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When talking to Palmer about Nipper, Dorothy asks "why don't they just let him alone? What did he ever do to them?" Palmer's response is a powerful moment in the novel. What does Palmer say to Dorothy? Discuss the implications of his statement.
Essay Topic 2
The novel ends with the words of a small child. What are those words, and why are they important? What do the words mean to Palmer?
Essay Topic 3
When Palmer and the gang go to the railroad station in the middle of the night to see the five thousand caged pigeons for the shoot, Palmer is faced once again with a conflict of emotions. Describe the conflict in Palmer's mind and how he deals with it.
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)