|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the presents the boys give Palmer?
2. How does Palmer describe the weeks following his birthday?
3. Who has Palmer invited to his birthday party?
4. What does Palmer believe he will receive from lasting out his time with Farquar?
5. Why does Nipper fly around the house once or twice before flying away in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Palmer begins to identify a certain smell associated with the pigeon shoot. Describe the smell and how it injects itself into Palmer's life.
2. What chores does Palmer offer to do for himself? Why does he offer to take care of his own room?
3. In Chapter 25, Palmer has a wonderful day in which he is relaxed and happy. The day dissolves into emotional distress. What happens to make Palmer nervous and upset? What two parts of Palmer's personality come into conflict?
4. In Chapter 15, Palmer goes through a series of emotional reactions to the pigeon tapping on his window. What are some of those reactions?
5. How does Palmer resolve his problems of meeting his friends at the cannon on the day of the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
6. In Chapter Seven, how does Dorothy treat Palmer when he comes to show her his arm? How does he react?
7. When the gang attacks Dorothy with snow balls on the first day of school, Palmer joins in without hesitation. How does he rationalize his behavior toward her?
8. Beans begins to escalate the treestumping of Dorothy to get a reaction from her, but she gives him none. His cruel behavior escalates until Dorothy finally does react. What is her reaction, and how does this affect Palmer?
9. Palmer asks his mother for a favor. What is the favor, and why does Palmer ask her? How does he explain this to his mother?
10. When Palmer returns from Beans' birthday party he finds Dorothy waiting in his room. She sarcastically calls him Snots and talks about his gang. What does she say, and what does she really mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When talking to Palmer about Nipper, Dorothy asks "why don't they just let him alone? What did he ever do to them?" Palmer's response is a powerful moment in the novel. What does Palmer say to Dorothy? Discuss the implications of his statement.
Essay Topic 2
What part does Nipper play in Palmer's life? How is this non-speaking character such a major influence in the novel? What does Nipper represent to Palmer?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 32, Palmer makes an important observation about Henry. What is the observation, and how does it affect Palmer's behavior? Do you think Palmer's observation is correct?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)