|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Palmer decide to handle Saturday and the pigeon shoot?
2. What new experience does Palmer have when falling asleep after talking to his mother?
3. Who is tapping at Palmer's window early one morning?
4. Who has Palmer invited to his birthday party?
5. With what ritual do the boys in town associate Farquar?
Short Essay Questions
1. For his birthday, Palmer gets an old apple core, an old sock, and a cigar butt from his new friends. What makes these gifts special? How does Palmer react to his mother's gifts?
2. What does Beans pull out of the freezer when the gang is at his house? What does he do with it? The author does not tell us how Palmer feels about what Beans has done. Based on what you know of Palmer, how does he feel about the prank?
3. When the boys find Farquar, he is on the soccer field and all but Palmer rush over to see him. Why does Palmer lag behind? What is he experiencing walking onto the field?
4. Palmer describes the wish he should make after Nipper has been seen in the sky by the gang. What is that wish? Why can't he make that wish?
5. What chores does Palmer offer to do for himself? Why does he offer to take care of his own room?
6. When Beans has his tenth birthday party, he invites the gang to his house and then leaves with them to find Farquar. Again, The Treatment is part of the story. How does Beans anticipate The Treatment and his birthday in general? How is Beans' reaction different from that of Palmer?
7. What are some of Palmer's memories of his first pigeon shoot? What does this tell us about Palmer?
8. In Chapter 15, Palmer goes through a series of emotional reactions to the pigeon tapping on his window. What are some of those reactions?
9. How does Palmer resolve his problems of meeting his friends at the cannon on the day of the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
10. Who does Palmer find in his room the night before the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The last scene between Dorothy and Palmer is one of anger and upset. Were there one more chapter, how might their friendship have been repaired based on what we know about their friendship? What part does Nipper play in their friendship?
Essay Topic 2
How does Palmer describe the time in his life when things began to change and he realizes he does not want to be a wringer? How does this realization change his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Palmer's reaction to his mother's confession that she has known about Nipper for months. What does he feel? What does he tell her? How does this experience give him courage?
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)