|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Palmer thank Henry?
(a) His birthday present.
(b) Not messing up his room on the search.
(c) The warning on his birthday cake.
(d) Answering his questions.
2. As Palmer approaches his house, what is he worried about?
(a) The gang will be waiting at his house to beat him up.
(b) Nipper will be dead.
(c) His father will be waiting for him to explain why he has a pigeon.
(d) His mother will be angry because he is late for dinner.
3. What event happens at the shoot that gets the biggest cheer of all?
(a) Beans wringing two pigeons at once.
(b) The event has raised more money than any years previous.
(c) A woman who is the best shooter this year.
(d) A yellow cat running onto the field and carrying away a wounded bird.
4. What is Henry's real name?
5. Who does Palmer realize is the only member of the gang he is not afraid of?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do many of the pigeons come out of the boxes for the shoot?
2. Where has Palmer hidden after running away from the gang?
3. How high is the stack of crates housing the pigeons for the shoot?
4. Why does Palmer tell Dorothy he lives in the wrong town?
5. How does Henry behave in Palmer's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Dorothy realizes all of the things Palmer has done to keep Nipper from harm, she calls him a hero. Why does Dorothy think Palmer is a hero? Does he feel like a hero?
2. How does Palmer's life change after Nipper is gone?
3. In Chapter 29, what is Dorothy's solution to Palmer's problem? What does she do, and how does Palmer react?
4. Palmer knows a lot about pigeons. What kinds of things does he know about releasing a pigeon so the bird will not be able to return home? How does he use this information with Nipper?
5. Why are Dorothy and Palmer certain they must get Nipper out of town? What other options do they have?
6. What does Palmer find when her gets home to his room, and what does he decide at that moment?
7. Palmer is not excited on his birthday, not thrilled with presents or the presence of his friends. Many things hang heavy in his mind. What are some of the things that are troubling Palmer on his tenth birthday?
8. What example have Palmer and Nipper set for the children in the town? How can he tell his experience with Nipper has changed people's lives?
9. What curious thing does Palmer notice at the Titans baseball game? What does it remind him of?
10. In Chapter 32, Beans and the gang take Palmer to find Farquar for his birthday Treatment. When Beans demands that Farquar give Palmer the Treatment, he is faced with a bully bigger than himself. How does Beans respond to Farquar? How does Palmer?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)