|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Palmer realize while hiding from the gang?
(a) His mother might go into his room looking for him.
(b) He is hungry and it is dinner time.
(c) Nipper is on his way to Palmer's bedroom window.
(d) The gang has given up on finding him.
2. With whom does Palmer go to the Family Fest?
(a) His mother and father.
(b) The gang.
(d) No one.
3. Who comes to see Palmer's room and check that there is no pigeon in the room?
4. What does Palmer do with his toy soldiers the day after the big battle he had staged with them and the enemy eraser?
(a) He puts them back in his dresser drawer.
(b) He puts them in his closet in a new box.
(c) He buries them in the back yard.
(d) He gives them back to his father.
5. What does Palmer imagine while looking for Nipper in the pigeon crates?
(a) Palmer can imagine how Dorothy must be feeling.
(b) Palmer can imagine how lonely Nipper must feel.
(c) Palmer can imagine Beans's delight in wringing pigeons' necks.
(d) Palmer can imagine what it is like to be Nipper and shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Palmer believe left the message on his cake?
2. Who brings Nipper into the meadow and then into the woods?
3. What important question does Dorothy ask Palmer as his birthday approaches?
4. For what does Palmer thank Henry?
5. What do the kids call the teacher of the class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dorothy tell Palmer at the shoot that upsets him? How does he treat Dorothy? How does she respond?
2. Palmer explains to Dorothy that he is conflicted about school ending. What is the conflict he feels? At the end of the chapter, the narrator says "But another school was about to begin." Can you guess what this school is, and why it is beginning?
3. When the boys line up to practice wringing a pigeon's neck, Palmer lines up with them. What is this experience like for Palmer?
4. In Chapter 32, Beans and the gang take Palmer to find Farquar for his birthday Treatment. When Beans demands that Farquar give Palmer the Treatment, he is faced with a bully bigger than himself. How does Beans respond to Farquar? How does Palmer?
5. What kinds of harassment do Beans and the gang inflict on Palmer after he has walked away from the gang? Why?
6. Palmer has an emotional roller coaster ride when he recognizes Nipper flying above the field. What different feelings wash over him including finally holding Nipper in his hands again?
7. Who does not attend Palmer's tenth birthday party and why? What do the boys want to talk to Mr. LaRue about? How does Mr. LaRue respond?
8. What does Palmer find when her gets home to his room, and what does he decide at that moment?
9. Why does Palmer begin to question his real reasons for sending Nipper away? What does he come to understand?
10. How does Palmer react when his mother tells he she and his father have known about Nipper for months?
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)