|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are the uniforms of the Titans?
2. As Palmer approaches his house, what is he worried about?
(a) His father will be waiting for him to explain why he has a pigeon.
(b) Nipper will be dead.
(c) The gang will be waiting at his house to beat him up.
(d) His mother will be angry because he is late for dinner.
3. Where has Palmer hidden after running away from the gang?
(a) Behind a dumpster behind the supermarket.
(b) At the park playground.
(c) In his bedroom with Nipper.
(d) At Dorothy's house.
4. Who are the two people who did not show up for Palmer's tenth birthday party?
(a) Dorothy and Mrs. LaRue.
(b) Mutto and Mrs. LaRue.
(c) Henry and Mr. LaRue.
(d) Beans and Dorothy.
5. What does Palmer decide to wear to school on the last day?
(a) His elephant mask.
(b) A football helmet.
(c) A stocking cap.
(d) A hockey mask.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Palmer find has joined his side at the shoot?
2. What happens when Dorothy and Palmer return to Palmer's bedroom?
3. Where does Palmer end up going on Saturday morning?
4. What important question does Dorothy ask Palmer as his birthday approaches?
5. How does the narrator describe Palmer's loneliness after Nipper is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Palmer makes his plan to avoid confrontation with Beans and Mutto on the night of his birthday. What is his plan, and does it work?
2. When the boys line up to practice wringing a pigeon's neck, Palmer lines up with them. What is this experience like for Palmer?
3. What do the boys learn in wringer school? Who teaches the class? What does the teacher tell the boys is most important part of being a wringer?
4. Palmer knows a lot about pigeons. What kinds of things does he know about releasing a pigeon so the bird will not be able to return home? How does he use this information with Nipper?
5. How do Dorothy and Palmer finally get Nipper safely out of town and away from danger? How does their behavior then represent their mood?
6. Why does Palmer choose Henry to invite up to his room to prove Nipper is no longer there? What happens between them when Henry is in Palmer's room?
7. How does Palmer's life change after Nipper is gone?
8. When Palmer attends the pigeon shoot this year, what does he come to realize about his memories of shoots from years passed?
9. What kinds of harassment do Beans and the gang inflict on Palmer after he has walked away from the gang? Why?
10. Why does Palmer begin to question his real reasons for sending Nipper away? What does he come to understand?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)