|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Palmer do to get himself detention after school?
(a) He skips school.
(b) He curses at his teacher.
(c) He spits on the floor of his classroom.
(d) He writes on the walls of the room.
2. How high is the stack of crates housing the pigeons for the shoot?
(a) Twice as high as the telephone poles.
(b) Twice as high as Palmer's house.
(c) Twice as high as the grandstand.
(d) Twice as high as the goal posts.
3. Who is on the soccer field when the gang arrives?
(a) The gang and Mr. LaRue.
(b) The gang and Beans's father.
(c) The kids from the Boy Scout troop.
(d) The other ten year olds and the teacher.
4. What stories do the children hear about the pigeons in their crates awaiting the shoot?
(a) The crates have been locked tight for weeks now.
(b) The crates are piled as high as a ten-year-old boy.
(c) The crates have been broken into and pigeons killed.
(d) There are not enough pigeons yet for the shoot.
5. Why can't Palmer ask the gang over to see for themselves that the pigeon is gone?
(a) There is still pigeon poop all over the floors and bookshelves.
(b) His mother will never allow them in the house again.
(c) His mother keeps the door to his room locked now.
(d) There is still cereal and other foods in the closet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Palmer tells Dorothy there are two things they need to do so that Nipper will not come back. What are they?
2. What happens after Nipper lands on Palmer's head?
3. Who does Palmer believe left the message on his cake?
4. How has Palmer's dad been treating him since Nipper left?
5. What does Palmer decide to do to avoid the warning?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 32, Beans and the gang take Palmer to find Farquar for his birthday Treatment. When Beans demands that Farquar give Palmer the Treatment, he is faced with a bully bigger than himself. How does Beans respond to Farquar? How does Palmer?
2. What does Palmer find written on the icing of his cake later in the evening of his birthday? Who does he believe wrote it? What does he think it means?
3. Palmer is not excited on his birthday, not thrilled with presents or the presence of his friends. Many things hang heavy in his mind. What are some of the things that are troubling Palmer on his tenth birthday?
4. When Palmer refuses The Treatment from Farquar, what does he tell Beans when he is screaming at him? Why does he run from the gang then? What does Beans yell to Palmer as he is running away?
5. What other issue between Dorothy and Palmer comes up in Chapter 29? How does Palmer feel about the situation? How does he resolve it?
6. When the gang finds out from Palmer what he did in school to deserve an after-school punishment, how do they react? How does Palmer feel? What else does he do in order to stay in school a little longer?
7. What does Dorothy tell Palmer at the shoot that upsets him? How does he treat Dorothy? How does she respond?
8. When the boys line up to practice wringing a pigeon's neck, Palmer lines up with them. What is this experience like for Palmer?
9. Who does not attend Palmer's tenth birthday party and why? What do the boys want to talk to Mr. LaRue about? How does Mr. LaRue respond?
10. How does Palmer attempt to trick Nipper into not finding him again when he is with his friends? Describe his solution. Does it seem like this would work?
This section contains 1,444 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)