|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henry's real name?
2. What does Palmer immediately do when Nipper is thrown to the shooter?
(a) He runs to the wringmaster and asks that Beans be punished.
(b) He runs to the bird, sliding on his belly to protect him from the shooter.
(c) He runs away from the field, certain Nipper will be killed.
(d) He runs to the shooter and begs him not to kill Nipper.
3. What are the sacrifices Palmer sees he has made in order to save Nipper?
(a) He is not in the gang anymore, he feels he is a traitor, and his pet is gone.
(b) He is not in the gang anymore, Nipper is gone, and he has lost Dorothy, too.
(c) He is not in the gang anymore, Beans wants to get him, and he is a liar.
(d) He is not in the gang anymore, he is a liar, and he is a fake.
4. Who does Palmer realize is the only member of the gang he is not afraid of?
5. Why does Palmer cover himself up to go to school the day after Nipper lands on his head in front of the gang?
(a) He hopes not to catch a cold.
(b) He hopes Nipper will not recognize him.
(c) He wants to get laughs at school.
(d) He wants to get in trouble with the gang.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high is the stack of crates housing the pigeons for the shoot?
2. Why does Dorothy begin laughing when Palmer is talking seriously about Nipper's possible fate?
3. Why can't Palmer ask the gang over to see for themselves that the pigeon is gone?
4. Palmer tells Dorothy there are two things they need to do so that Nipper will not come back. What are they?
5. How does Beans react to Palmer's running away from the gang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Palmer has an emotional roller coaster ride when he recognizes Nipper flying above the field. What different feelings wash over him including finally holding Nipper in his hands again?
2. What does Palmer find written on the icing of his cake later in the evening of his birthday? Who does he believe wrote it? What does he think it means?
3. In Chapter 32, Beans and the gang take Palmer to find Farquar for his birthday Treatment. When Beans demands that Farquar give Palmer the Treatment, he is faced with a bully bigger than himself. How does Beans respond to Farquar? How does Palmer?
4. How does Palmer react when his mother tells he she and his father have known about Nipper for months?
5. How does Palmer's life change after Nipper is gone?
6. Why are Dorothy and Palmer certain they must get Nipper out of town? What other options do they have?
7. When Dorothy realizes all of the things Palmer has done to keep Nipper from harm, she calls him a hero. Why does Dorothy think Palmer is a hero? Does he feel like a hero?
8. When Palmer refuses The Treatment from Farquar, what does he tell Beans when he is screaming at him? Why does he run from the gang then? What does Beans yell to Palmer as he is running away?
9. Palmer is not excited on his birthday, not thrilled with presents or the presence of his friends. Many things hang heavy in his mind. What are some of the things that are troubling Palmer on his tenth birthday?
10. In Chapter 29, what is Dorothy's solution to Palmer's problem? What does she do, and how does Palmer react?
This section contains 1,457 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)