|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has Palmer invited to his birthday party?
(a) Beans, Mutton and Hank.
(b) Greeans, Mutton and Shank.
(c) Beans, Mutto and Henry.
(d) Beans, Mutto and George.
2. What does Palmer try to convince the gang about the pigeon?
(a) He wants them to believe it did not happen.
(b) He wants them to think he has never seen a pigeon.
(c) He wants them to believe it was a crow.
(d) He wants them to think his father is practicing for the shoot.
3. What name does Palmer give his pigeon?
4. How does Dorothy finally handle the situation?
(a) She finds another way to and from school.
(b) She turns to Palmer and asks why he is doing this to her.
(c) She gets her father to walk home with her.
(d) She cries and tells Beans to leave her alone.
5. How does Palmer behave after chasing the bird down the street?
(a) He pretends nothing happened.
(b) He screams at Beans for scaring him.
(c) He pretends he hates pigeons.
(d) He laughs at Mutto for swallowing his gum.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Palmer learn about pigeons?
2. What smell comes to Palmer's nose as he walks onto the soccer field?
3. What is the thing Palmer does not want to do?
4. What does Palmer begin to smell on his father when he sits in his dad's lap after the pigeon shoot?
5. What does Palmer know he should wish but cannot?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the boys find Farquar, he is on the soccer field and all but Palmer rush over to see him. Why does Palmer lag behind? What is he experiencing walking onto the field?
2. What chores does Palmer offer to do for himself? Why does he offer to take care of his own room?
3. How does Palmer resolve his problems of meeting his friends at the cannon on the day of the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
4. In Chapter 25, Palmer has a wonderful day in which he is relaxed and happy. The day dissolves into emotional distress. What happens to make Palmer nervous and upset? What two parts of Palmer's personality come into conflict?
5. Who does Palmer find in his room the night before the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
6. How does Palmer react in Chapter 13 when he is awakened by tapping? Who does he think is at the window? What does he find?
7. Palmer waits for Nipper to return in Chapter 22 and by nightfall Nipper has not done so. How does Palmer react to the pigeon's disappearance? How does his mood change when Nipper returns? What important decision does Palmer make when Nipper returns?
8. Palmer tries to explain to Dorothy why he cannot tell people he does not want to be a wringer. What kinds of pressure does he feel? How does he think people will react?
9. In Chapter 15, Palmer goes through a series of emotional reactions to the pigeon tapping on his window. What are some of those reactions?
10. In Chapter Seven, how does Dorothy treat Palmer when he comes to show her his arm? How does he react?
This section contains 1,346 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)