|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Palmer imagine Beans lives?
(a) In an orphanage.
(b) In a shelter for the homeless.
(c) In a mansion with his parents.
(d) In a lean-to or a cave by the creek.
2. What is a pigeon doing if he is roosting?
3. What does Palmer give Dorothy to use in hopes of getting Nipper to stand on her head?
(a) A handful of Frankenbursts.
(b) A piece of candy.
(c) A piece of cotton for her ear.
(d) A few peanuts.
4. What do the boys see after pulling their prank at Dorothy's house?
(a) A pigeon flying in the sky.
(b) A hawk flying overhead.
(c) A cat with a mouse in its mouth.
(d) A jet airplane in the sky.
5. How many different colors does Palmer count on the pigeon while the bird eats?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beans tell the gang?
2. What does Beans do when he sees a pigeon in the sky?
3. What do the boys begin yelling at the park when they are playing their game?
4. Where did Arthur put the body of the first ever pigeon whose neck he had rung?
5. What does Palmer give Beans for his birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Palmer come up with the name for his pigeon? What do people feel about animals when they name them? How does Palmer feel about his pigeon?
2. Once he has decided to name and keep Nipper, Palmer realizes he must divert the gang from coming to his house. Why does he want to keep the boys away? What are some of the excuses he invents?
3. In Chapter Three, Palmer joins his new friends out on the street. When Beans asks about Dorothy, Palmer does not answer at first. How does Palmer initially react to the gang's behavior toward Dorothy? Why does he join them as they run down the street after their prank?
4. Palmer comes home after the boys see a pigeon flying overhead and he cries. Why is he crying? What does he admit about his day?
5. What is The Treatment? What does it mean to Palmer to receive The Treatment? What does Palmer get after getting through The Treatment?
6. Palmer begins to identify a certain smell associated with the pigeon shoot. Describe the smell and how it injects itself into Palmer's life.
7. How does Palmer react when the gang tell him they believe he has a pigeon for a pet? What does Palmer want the gang to believe and why?
8. What chores does Palmer offer to do for himself? Why does he offer to take care of his own room?
9. Palmer waits for Nipper to return in Chapter 22 and by nightfall Nipper has not done so. How does Palmer react to the pigeon's disappearance? How does his mood change when Nipper returns? What important decision does Palmer make when Nipper returns?
10. Palmer tries to explain to Dorothy why he cannot tell people he does not want to be a wringer. What kinds of pressure does he feel? How does he think people will react?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)