|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hovers before Palmer's eyes before he runs after his friends to the playground?
(a) A hummingbird.
(b) A mosquito.
(c) A wasp.
(d) A dragonfly.
2. Why does Beans continue to treestump and tease Dorothy?
(a) He wants to get a reaction from her.
(b) He wants his mother to punish him.
(c) He wants to make her quit school.
(d) He has a crush on her.
3. Where does Palmer's pigeon sleep?
(a) Under his bed.
(b) On the windowsill.
(c) In the snow.
(d) In his closet.
4. What does Beans do with the contents of the spaghetti and meatballs container from the freezer?
(a) Throws it away after he shows the gang.
(b) Hammers it to the doorframe of Dorothy's house.
(c) Leaves it in the freezer for his mother to find.
(d) Gives it to Palmer as a late birthday gift.
5. What does the pigeon do when Palmer opens the window the second evening?
(a) The pigeon flies away.
(b) The pigeon flies around the room squawking.
(c) The pigeon hops to the desk and looks at Palmer.
(d) The pigeon walks into Palmer's bedroom and up to his head.
Short Answer Questions
1. What diversion does Palmer create to keep the gang from coming to his house?
2. How does Palmer decide to handle Saturday and the pigeon shoot?
3. What does Palmer feed the pigeon?
4. What does Palmer declare in front of the gang?
5. When Palmer asks his mother why the boy wrung the pigeon's neck, what does she say?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, Palmer goes through a series of emotional reactions to the pigeon tapping on his window. What are some of those reactions?
2. When the gang attacks Dorothy with snow balls on the first day of school, Palmer joins in without hesitation. How does he rationalize his behavior toward her?
3. What does Beans pull out of the freezer when the gang is at his house? What does he do with it? The author does not tell us how Palmer feels about what Beans has done. Based on what you know of Palmer, how does he feel about the prank?
4. How does Palmer react in Chapter 13 when he is awakened by tapping? Who does he think is at the window? What does he find?
5. When Beans has his tenth birthday party, he invites the gang to his house and then leaves with them to find Farquar. Again, The Treatment is part of the story. How does Beans anticipate The Treatment and his birthday in general? How is Beans' reaction different from that of Palmer?
6. What are some of Palmer's memories of his first pigeon shoot? What does this tell us about Palmer?
7. How does Palmer come up with the name for his pigeon? What do people feel about animals when they name them? How does Palmer feel about his pigeon?
8. In Chapter Three, Palmer joins his new friends out on the street. When Beans asks about Dorothy, Palmer does not answer at first. How does Palmer initially react to the gang's behavior toward Dorothy? Why does he join them as they run down the street after their prank?
9. Palmer describes the wish he should make after Nipper has been seen in the sky by the gang. What is that wish? Why can't he make that wish?
10. How does Palmer react when the gang tell him they believe he has a pigeon for a pet? What does Palmer want the gang to believe and why?
This section contains 1,446 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)