|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nickname the boys give Palmer at his party?
2. What other things does Beans do to try and get a reaction from Dorothy?
(a) Trips her, calls her names, rips up her homework papers.
(b) Make faces, screams, dumps beans on her shoes, takes her hat.
(c) Screams, steals her books, throws her papers away.
(d) Pushes her, screams, throws her hat away.
3. With whom does Palmer attend his second pigeon shoot?
(a) Beans, Mutto and Henry.
(b) Dorothy Gruzik.
(c) His mother and father.
(d) His aunt and cousins.
4. Where did Arthur put the body of the first ever pigeon whose neck he had rung?
(a) Wrapped it up and put it under his bed for kids to see.
(b) Wrapped it up and put it in his dresser drawer.
(c) Wrapped it up and hid it in his mother's closet.
(d) Wrapped it up and buried it in his back yard.
5. What does Palmer know he should wish but cannot?
(a) That Nipper should only fly at night.
(b) That Nipper would find a friend.
(c) That Nipper would move to Dorothy's house.
(d) That Nipper would go to a pigeon-friendlier town.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pigeons are gathered for the pigeon shoot, according to Palmer's dad?
2. What new experience does Palmer have when falling asleep after talking to his mother?
3. Where do the boys go in the middle of the night?
4. How does Palmer react to Bean's accusation?
5. What does the pigeon do when Palmer opens the window the second evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scene do Mutto, Beans and Henry enact at the park? How does Palmer react to their display? Why does he react this way?
2. In Chapter Three, Palmer joins his new friends out on the street. When Beans asks about Dorothy, Palmer does not answer at first. How does Palmer initially react to the gang's behavior toward Dorothy? Why does he join them as they run down the street after their prank?
3. How does Palmer react when the gang tell him they believe he has a pigeon for a pet? What does Palmer want the gang to believe and why?
4. How does Palmer react in Chapter 13 when he is awakened by tapping? Who does he think is at the window? What does he find?
5. What does Beans pull out of the freezer when the gang is at his house? What does he do with it? The author does not tell us how Palmer feels about what Beans has done. Based on what you know of Palmer, how does he feel about the prank?
6. What chores does Palmer offer to do for himself? Why does he offer to take care of his own room?
7. Beans begins to escalate the treestumping of Dorothy to get a reaction from her, but she gives him none. His cruel behavior escalates until Dorothy finally does react. What is her reaction, and how does this affect Palmer?
8. Palmer asks his mother for a favor. What is the favor, and why does Palmer ask her? How does he explain this to his mother?
9. Palmer finally becomes old enough to read the inscription on his father's trophy in the den. What did he pretend it said when he was younger? What does it really say? How does Palmer respond to learning what the words actually are?
10. Palmer comes home after the boys see a pigeon flying overhead and he cries. Why is he crying? What does he admit about his day?
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)