|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pigeons are gathered for the pigeon shoot, according to Palmer's dad?
(a) Five thousand.
(b) Eight hundred.
(c) One thousand.
(d) Five hundred.
2. Who is tapping at Palmer's window early one morning?
(a) A squirrel.
(b) Beans and Mutto.
(d) A pigeon.
3. While he is with the gang deciding what to do next, what amazing thing happens to Palmer in front of the gang?
(a) Palmer kisses Dorothy.
(b) Nipper lands on his head.
(c) Nipper bites Beans on the nose.
(d) He falls and breaks his leg.
4. Who do the boys see at the playground on Palmer's birthday?
(a) Bean's grandmother.
(b) Palmer's mother.
5. How does Palmer feel running with the boys?
(c) Let down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new experience does Palmer have when falling asleep after talking to his mother?
2. What do the boys leave at Fishface's front door?
3. With whom does Palmer attend his second pigeon shoot?
4. Who has Palmer invited to his birthday party?
5. Of what does Beans accuse Palmer when they are walking back to their street?
Short Essay Questions
1. For his birthday, Palmer gets an old apple core, an old sock, and a cigar butt from his new friends. What makes these gifts special? How does Palmer react to his mother's gifts?
2. Palmer asks his mother for a favor. What is the favor, and why does Palmer ask her? How does he explain this to his mother?
3. What does Beans pull out of the freezer when the gang is at his house? What does he do with it? The author does not tell us how Palmer feels about what Beans has done. Based on what you know of Palmer, how does he feel about the prank?
4. Palmer tries to explain to Dorothy why he cannot tell people he does not want to be a wringer. What kinds of pressure does he feel? How does he think people will react?
5. In Chapter Three, Palmer joins his new friends out on the street. When Beans asks about Dorothy, Palmer does not answer at first. How does Palmer initially react to the gang's behavior toward Dorothy? Why does he join them as they run down the street after their prank?
6. Palmer describes the wish he should make after Nipper has been seen in the sky by the gang. What is that wish? Why can't he make that wish?
7. How do Palmer's parents react to The Treatment?
8. How does Palmer react in Chapter 13 when he is awakened by tapping? Who does he think is at the window? What does he find?
9. Palmer waits for Nipper to return in Chapter 22 and by nightfall Nipper has not done so. How does Palmer react to the pigeon's disappearance? How does his mood change when Nipper returns? What important decision does Palmer make when Nipper returns?
10. Palmer comes home after the boys see a pigeon flying overhead and he cries. Why is he crying? What does he admit about his day?
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)