|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pigeons are gathered for the pigeon shoot, according to Palmer's dad?
(a) One thousand.
(b) Five thousand.
(c) Eight hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
2. What name does Palmer give his pigeon?
3. What special food does Palmer get for his pigeon?
(b) Frosted miniwheats.
(c) Graham crackers.
(d) Honey Crunchers.
4. What does Palmer feed the pigeon?
(a) Bird food.
(b) Special K.
(d) Bread crumbs.
5. How does Palmer decide to handle Saturday and the pigeon shoot?
(a) He goes with Dorothy's family to the neighboring town to shop.
(b) He pretends to be sick and stays home all day.
(c) He runs away from home.
(d) He leaves with his family for the weekend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other things does Beans do to try and get a reaction from Dorothy?
2. How does Palmer describe the weeks following his birthday?
3. How does Palmer's dad respond when Palmer asks him if he was a wringer?
4. What new experience does Palmer have when falling asleep after talking to his mother?
5. What do Beans, Mutto, Henry and Palmer sometimes call themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the boys find Farquar, he is on the soccer field and all but Palmer rush over to see him. Why does Palmer lag behind? What is he experiencing walking onto the field?
2. Palmer describes the wish he should make after Nipper has been seen in the sky by the gang. What is that wish? Why can't he make that wish?
3. What chores does Palmer offer to do for himself? Why does he offer to take care of his own room?
4. How does Palmer resolve his problems of meeting his friends at the cannon on the day of the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
5. When Beans has his tenth birthday party, he invites the gang to his house and then leaves with them to find Farquar. Again, The Treatment is part of the story. How does Beans anticipate The Treatment and his birthday in general? How is Beans' reaction different from that of Palmer?
6. When Palmer opens the door on his birthday and finds Beans, Mutto and Henry there, he is elated. Why? Who are these boys? What do they represent in Palmer's life?
7. Palmer begins to identify a certain smell associated with the pigeon shoot. Describe the smell and how it injects itself into Palmer's life.
8. In Chapter Seven, how does Dorothy treat Palmer when he comes to show her his arm? How does he react?
9. How does Palmer come up with the name for his pigeon? What do people feel about animals when they name them? How does Palmer feel about his pigeon?
10. How does Palmer react when the gang tell him they believe he has a pigeon for a pet? What does Palmer want the gang to believe and why?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)