|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the gang go after Beans has opened his presents?
(a) Farquar's house for The Treatment.
(b) Palmer's house to play basketball.
(c) The park to play soccer.
(d) The playground to slide.
2. Where does Palmer imagine Beans lives?
(a) In a mansion with his parents.
(b) In a shelter for the homeless.
(c) In an orphanage.
(d) In a lean-to or a cave by the creek.
3. How does Palmer describe the weeks following his birthday?
(a) A barrel of laughs with the gang.
(b) A time like any other.
(c) A lonely and anxious time.
(d) A parade and Palmer is the grand marshall.
4. What smell comes to Palmer's nose as he walks onto the soccer field?
(a) The smell of barbeque.
(b) The smell of fresh baked cookies.
(c) The smell of gunsmoke from the pigeon shoot.
(d) The smell of roses.
5. Where did Arthur put the body of the first ever pigeon whose neck he had rung?
(a) Wrapped it up and put it in his dresser drawer.
(b) Wrapped it up and buried it in his back yard.
(c) Wrapped it up and hid it in his mother's closet.
(d) Wrapped it up and put it under his bed for kids to see.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nipper fly around the house once or twice before flying away in the morning?
2. How does Dorothy finally handle the situation?
3. What are the presents the boys give Palmer?
4. While he is with the gang deciding what to do next, what amazing thing happens to Palmer in front of the gang?
5. What does Palmer think about Henry when they are playing at the park?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Palmer react in Chapter 13 when he is awakened by tapping? Who does he think is at the window? What does he find?
2. In Chapter Seven, how does Dorothy treat Palmer when he comes to show her his arm? How does he react?
3. Palmer begins to identify a certain smell associated with the pigeon shoot. Describe the smell and how it injects itself into Palmer's life.
4. Palmer tries to explain to Dorothy why he cannot tell people he does not want to be a wringer. What kinds of pressure does he feel? How does he think people will react?
5. What scene do Mutto, Beans and Henry enact at the park? How does Palmer react to their display? Why does he react this way?
6. When Beans has his tenth birthday party, he invites the gang to his house and then leaves with them to find Farquar. Again, The Treatment is part of the story. How does Beans anticipate The Treatment and his birthday in general? How is Beans' reaction different from that of Palmer?
7. In Chapter Three, Palmer joins his new friends out on the street. When Beans asks about Dorothy, Palmer does not answer at first. How does Palmer initially react to the gang's behavior toward Dorothy? Why does he join them as they run down the street after their prank?
8. Beans begins to escalate the treestumping of Dorothy to get a reaction from her, but she gives him none. His cruel behavior escalates until Dorothy finally does react. What is her reaction, and how does this affect Palmer?
9. What is The Treatment? What does it mean to Palmer to receive The Treatment? What does Palmer get after getting through The Treatment?
10. In Chapter 15, Palmer goes through a series of emotional reactions to the pigeon tapping on his window. What are some of those reactions?
This section contains 1,472 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)