|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Beans' real name?
(a) Arthur LaRue.
(b) Arthur Dodds.
(c) Arthur Palmer.
(d) Arthur Jenkins.
2. What name does Palmer give his pigeon?
3. What does Palmer declare in front of the gang?
(a) "I am moving to another city!"
(b) "I am going to be the best wringer there ever was!"
(c) "I am not going to speak to Dorothy again!"
(d) "I am going to run away from home!"
4. What new experience does Palmer have when falling asleep after talking to his mother?
(a) He falls asleep and dreams about pigeons.
(b) He does not sleep alone, his pigeon is sleeping in his room.
(c) He does not fall asleep, worried that his pigeon will peck on him.
(d) He falls asleep and has nightmares about snow.
5. Why does Palmer run home and leave the boys behind in Chapter 12?
(a) The gang begins to break open a crate of pigeons to harm them.
(b) He is afraid of the dark.
(c) The gang teases him about not wringing a pigeon's neck.
(d) The gang begins to steal food from the closed concession stand.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Palmer feel running with the boys?
2. What does Palmer hear in his dream on the night of his birthday?
3. What does Palmer feel "lurking in shadowy doorways"?
4. What do the boys begin yelling at the park when they are playing their game?
5. When Palmer asks his mother why the boy wrung the pigeon's neck, what does she say?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Palmer's life change after Nipper is gone?
2. When the gang attacks Dorothy with snow balls on the first day of school, Palmer joins in without hesitation. How does he rationalize his behavior toward her?
3. How does Palmer resolve his problems of meeting his friends at the cannon on the day of the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
4. Who does not attend Palmer's tenth birthday party and why? What do the boys want to talk to Mr. LaRue about? How does Mr. LaRue respond?
5. In Chapter Three, Palmer joins his new friends out on the street. When Beans asks about Dorothy, Palmer does not answer at first. How does Palmer initially react to the gang's behavior toward Dorothy? Why does he join them as they run down the street after their prank?
6. How does Palmer react in Chapter 13 when he is awakened by tapping? Who does he think is at the window? What does he find?
7. What kinds of harassment do Beans and the gang inflict on Palmer after he has walked away from the gang? Why?
8. What curious thing does Palmer notice at the Titans baseball game? What does it remind him of?
9. What does Palmer find written on the icing of his cake later in the evening of his birthday? Who does he believe wrote it? What does he think it means?
10. Palmer tries to explain to Dorothy why he cannot tell people he does not want to be a wringer. What kinds of pressure does he feel? How does he think people will react?
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)