|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what ritual do the boys in town associate Farquar?
(a) The BIrthday Spankings.
(b) The Birthday Cake.
(c) The Playground Bully.
(d) The Treatment.
2. What do the boys begin yelling at the park when they are playing their game?
(a) "Palmer is a chicken!"
(b) "Who is afraid of us?"
(c) "Wringer! Wringer!"
(d) "Where is Fishface?"
3. Why does Nipper fly around the house once or twice before flying away in the morning?
(a) To look for other pigeons before leaving.
(b) To say goodbye to Palmer.
(c) To tease Beans and the rest of the gang.
(d) To set the compass in his head in order to return.
4. How does Palmer decide to handle Saturday and the pigeon shoot?
(a) He leaves with his family for the weekend.
(b) He runs away from home.
(c) He goes with Dorothy's family to the neighboring town to shop.
(d) He pretends to be sick and stays home all day.
5. Before going to sleep, what does Palmer do with his flashlight?
(a) Checks his parent's room.
(b) Checks outside his window.
(c) Checks inside his closet.
(d) Checks the bathroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Palmer believe he will receive from lasting out his time with Farquar?
2. What are the presents the boys give Palmer?
3. How does Palmer's dad respond when Palmer asks him if he was a wringer?
4. How does Palmer behave after chasing the bird down the street?
5. How old was Palmer on his first Pigeon Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Palmer comes home after the boys see a pigeon flying overhead and he cries. Why is he crying? What does he admit about his day?
2. How do Palmer's parents react to The Treatment?
3. When the gang attacks Dorothy with snow balls on the first day of school, Palmer joins in without hesitation. How does he rationalize his behavior toward her?
4. In Chapter 25, Palmer has a wonderful day in which he is relaxed and happy. The day dissolves into emotional distress. What happens to make Palmer nervous and upset? What two parts of Palmer's personality come into conflict?
5. For his birthday, Palmer gets an old apple core, an old sock, and a cigar butt from his new friends. What makes these gifts special? How does Palmer react to his mother's gifts?
6. How does Palmer come up with the name for his pigeon? What do people feel about animals when they name them? How does Palmer feel about his pigeon?
7. Once he has decided to name and keep Nipper, Palmer realizes he must divert the gang from coming to his house. Why does he want to keep the boys away? What are some of the excuses he invents?
8. Palmer begins to identify a certain smell associated with the pigeon shoot. Describe the smell and how it injects itself into Palmer's life.
9. What scene do Mutto, Beans and Henry enact at the park? How does Palmer react to their display? Why does he react this way?
10. Palmer describes the wish he should make after Nipper has been seen in the sky by the gang. What is that wish? Why can't he make that wish?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)