|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story do people tell about Arthur at the pigeon shoot one summer before he is a wringer?
(a) He hid behind his father, afraid of the falling pigeon feathers.
(b) He became frightened and could not wring a pigeon's neck.
(c) He wrung a pigeon's neck in the middle of a family picnic.
(d) He gathered up all of the dead pigeons in a bag.
2. What do the boys leave at Fishface's front door?
(a) A plastic bag of chocolate.
(b) A plastic bag of mud and sticks.
(c) A plastic bag of garbage.
(d) A plastic bag of eggs.
3. What is Beans' real name?
(a) Arthur LaRue.
(b) Arthur Palmer.
(c) Arthur Dodds.
(d) Arthur Jenkins.
4. How does Palmer describe the feeling he has when he is with Dorothy?
(a) It is like romance.
(b) It is like being in love.
(c) It is like floating.
(d) It is like going home.
5. What does Palmer begin to smell on his father when he sits in his dad's lap after the pigeon shoot?
(a) The smell of cigarette smoke.
(b) The smell of gunsmoke.
(c) The smell of campfire smoke.
(d) The smell of cigar smoke.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what ritual do the boys in town associate Farquar?
2. How does the pigeon wake Palmer in the mornings?
3. What does Palmer think to himself when Beans makes his announcement to his friends at the soccer field?
4. What does Palmer ask of his mother one evening before bed?
5. What does Palmer feed the pigeon?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the boys find Farquar, he is on the soccer field and all but Palmer rush over to see him. Why does Palmer lag behind? What is he experiencing walking onto the field?
2. In Chapter 15, Palmer goes through a series of emotional reactions to the pigeon tapping on his window. What are some of those reactions?
3. How does Palmer react when the gang tell him they believe he has a pigeon for a pet? What does Palmer want the gang to believe and why?
4. Who does Palmer find in his room the night before the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
5. When Palmer opens the door on his birthday and finds Beans, Mutto and Henry there, he is elated. Why? Who are these boys? What do they represent in Palmer's life?
6. Palmer waits for Nipper to return in Chapter 22 and by nightfall Nipper has not done so. How does Palmer react to the pigeon's disappearance? How does his mood change when Nipper returns? What important decision does Palmer make when Nipper returns?
7. When Beans has his tenth birthday party, he invites the gang to his house and then leaves with them to find Farquar. Again, The Treatment is part of the story. How does Beans anticipate The Treatment and his birthday in general? How is Beans' reaction different from that of Palmer?
8. How does Palmer come up with the name for his pigeon? What do people feel about animals when they name them? How does Palmer feel about his pigeon?
9. Palmer finally becomes old enough to read the inscription on his father's trophy in the den. What did he pretend it said when he was younger? What does it really say? How does Palmer respond to learning what the words actually are?
10. In Chapter 25, Palmer has a wonderful day in which he is relaxed and happy. The day dissolves into emotional distress. What happens to make Palmer nervous and upset? What two parts of Palmer's personality come into conflict?
This section contains 1,423 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)