|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Palmer say to Nipper when the bird comes home after his flight over the town?
(a) "You are a stupid pigeon."
(b) "You cannot come here to eat anymore."
(c) "You are not leaving this room again."
(d) "You are my pigeon and I love you."
2. What does Palmer get for Christmas from his parents?
(a) A new red bicycle.
(b) A new red coat.
(c) A new red skateboard.
(d) A new red sled.
3. What name does Palmer give his pigeon?
4. How does Palmer behave after chasing the bird down the street?
(a) He screams at Beans for scaring him.
(b) He pretends he hates pigeons.
(c) He pretends nothing happened.
(d) He laughs at Mutto for swallowing his gum.
5. What hovers before Palmer's eyes before he runs after his friends to the playground?
(a) A hummingbird.
(b) A dragonfly.
(c) A wasp.
(d) A mosquito.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Palmer feel when he arrives home after school and finds the pigeon gone?
2. What does Palmer hear in his dream on the night of his birthday?
3. Who does Palmer find in his room when he comes home from Beans's party?
4. How does Palmer feel when the boys show up to his party?
5. What does Palmer know he should wish but cannot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Palmer describes the wish he should make after Nipper has been seen in the sky by the gang. What is that wish? Why can't he make that wish?
2. Palmer begins to identify a certain smell associated with the pigeon shoot. Describe the smell and how it injects itself into Palmer's life.
3. Palmer finally becomes old enough to read the inscription on his father's trophy in the den. What did he pretend it said when he was younger? What does it really say? How does Palmer respond to learning what the words actually are?
4. What does Beans pull out of the freezer when the gang is at his house? What does he do with it? The author does not tell us how Palmer feels about what Beans has done. Based on what you know of Palmer, how does he feel about the prank?
5. How does Palmer resolve his problems of meeting his friends at the cannon on the day of the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
6. Palmer tries to explain to Dorothy why he cannot tell people he does not want to be a wringer. What kinds of pressure does he feel? How does he think people will react?
7. How does Palmer react in Chapter 13 when he is awakened by tapping? Who does he think is at the window? What does he find?
8. What is The Treatment? What does it mean to Palmer to receive The Treatment? What does Palmer get after getting through The Treatment?
9. In Chapter 15, Palmer goes through a series of emotional reactions to the pigeon tapping on his window. What are some of those reactions?
10. In Chapter Seven, how does Dorothy treat Palmer when he comes to show her his arm? How does he react?
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)