|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Palmer and the gang attack with snowballs on their way to school one morning?
2. What is the thing Palmer does not want to do?
(a) Be a wringer.
(b) Be an 'A' student.
(c) Be a son.
(d) Be a big brother.
3. How old was Palmer on his first Pigeon Day?
4. Who does Palmer question about Nipper when the bird does not come home?
(a) The golden bird on his father's trophy.
(b) The neighborhood cat.
(c) The mailman.
(d) HIs parents.
5. Where does Palmer imagine Beans lives?
(a) In a shelter for the homeless.
(b) In a lean-to or a cave by the creek.
(c) In a mansion with his parents.
(d) In an orphanage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Palmer begin to smell on his father when he sits in his dad's lap after the pigeon shoot?
2. What does Beans tell the gang?
3. How does Palmer learn about pigeons?
4. What does Beans do when he sees a pigeon in the sky?
5. What playground equipment do Palmer and the gang play on the afternoon of his party?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Palmer react when the gang tell him they believe he has a pigeon for a pet? What does Palmer want the gang to believe and why?
2. Palmer begins to identify a certain smell associated with the pigeon shoot. Describe the smell and how it injects itself into Palmer's life.
3. In Chapter Three, Palmer joins his new friends out on the street. When Beans asks about Dorothy, Palmer does not answer at first. How does Palmer initially react to the gang's behavior toward Dorothy? Why does he join them as they run down the street after their prank?
4. Palmer comes home after the boys see a pigeon flying overhead and he cries. Why is he crying? What does he admit about his day?
5. In Chapter Seven, how does Dorothy treat Palmer when he comes to show her his arm? How does he react?
6. In Chapter 15, Palmer goes through a series of emotional reactions to the pigeon tapping on his window. What are some of those reactions?
7. What is The Treatment? What does it mean to Palmer to receive The Treatment? What does Palmer get after getting through The Treatment?
8. When the gang attacks Dorothy with snow balls on the first day of school, Palmer joins in without hesitation. How does he rationalize his behavior toward her?
9. Once he has decided to name and keep Nipper, Palmer realizes he must divert the gang from coming to his house. Why does he want to keep the boys away? What are some of the excuses he invents?
10. What are some of Palmer's memories of his first pigeon shoot? What does this tell us about Palmer?
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)