|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Panther?
(a) A new member of the gang.
(b) A mean and unfriendly cat.
(c) A real panther who comes out at night.
(d) A dog who bites people.
2. What story do people tell about Arthur at the pigeon shoot one summer before he is a wringer?
(a) He wrung a pigeon's neck in the middle of a family picnic.
(b) He became frightened and could not wring a pigeon's neck.
(c) He gathered up all of the dead pigeons in a bag.
(d) He hid behind his father, afraid of the falling pigeon feathers.
3. Who does Palmer decide to tell about his pet Nipper?
(b) His parents.
4. How does Palmer feel when the boys show up to his party?
(a) He is happy to have a party.
(b) He is scared of them and closes the door.
(c) He feels he is finally accepted into their group.
(d) He is surprised since he had not invited these boys.
5. What diversion does Palmer create to keep the gang from coming to his house?
(a) Suggesting they snowball Dorothy's house.
(b) Suggesting they go to the mall.
(c) Suggesting they play on the soccer field.
(d) Suggesting they go to Mutto's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Palmer hear in his dream on the night of his birthday?
2. What do the boys leave at Fishface's front door?
3. What do the boys see after pulling their prank at Dorothy's house?
4. What do Beans, Mutto, Henry and Palmer sometimes call themselves?
5. How does Palmer learn about pigeons?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the boys find Farquar, he is on the soccer field and all but Palmer rush over to see him. Why does Palmer lag behind? What is he experiencing walking onto the field?
2. For his birthday, Palmer gets an old apple core, an old sock, and a cigar butt from his new friends. What makes these gifts special? How does Palmer react to his mother's gifts?
3. How does Palmer resolve his problems of meeting his friends at the cannon on the day of the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
4. When Palmer returns from Beans' birthday party he finds Dorothy waiting in his room. She sarcastically calls him Snots and talks about his gang. What does she say, and what does she really mean?
5. What is The Treatment? What does it mean to Palmer to receive The Treatment? What does Palmer get after getting through The Treatment?
6. What are some of Palmer's memories of his first pigeon shoot? What does this tell us about Palmer?
7. What scene do Mutto, Beans and Henry enact at the park? How does Palmer react to their display? Why does he react this way?
8. Palmer tries to explain to Dorothy why he cannot tell people he does not want to be a wringer. What kinds of pressure does he feel? How does he think people will react?
9. When Beans has his tenth birthday party, he invites the gang to his house and then leaves with them to find Farquar. Again, The Treatment is part of the story. How does Beans anticipate The Treatment and his birthday in general? How is Beans' reaction different from that of Palmer?
10. When Palmer opens the door on his birthday and finds Beans, Mutto and Henry there, he is elated. Why? Who are these boys? What do they represent in Palmer's life?
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)