|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Palmer say to Nipper when the bird comes home after his flight over the town?
(a) "You are not leaving this room again."
(b) "You are a stupid pigeon."
(c) "You are my pigeon and I love you."
(d) "You cannot come here to eat anymore."
2. In Palmer's dream, what does a pigeon's eye look like?
(a) A shirt button, black with an orange dot in the center.
(b) A coat button, orange with a black ring around it.
(c) A coat button, blue with an orange center.
(d) A shirt button, orange with a black dot in the center.
3. What does the pigeon do when Palmer opens the window the second evening?
(a) The pigeon flies around the room squawking.
(b) The pigeon flies away.
(c) The pigeon walks into Palmer's bedroom and up to his head.
(d) The pigeon hops to the desk and looks at Palmer.
4. What does Palmer try to convince the gang about the pigeon?
(a) He wants them to believe it was a crow.
(b) He wants them to think his father is practicing for the shoot.
(c) He wants them to think he has never seen a pigeon.
(d) He wants them to believe it did not happen.
5. While he is with the gang deciding what to do next, what amazing thing happens to Palmer in front of the gang?
(a) Palmer kisses Dorothy.
(b) He falls and breaks his leg.
(c) Nipper lands on his head.
(d) Nipper bites Beans on the nose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other things does Beans do to try and get a reaction from Dorothy?
2. What does Palmer feed the pigeon?
3. Why does Beans continue to treestump and tease Dorothy?
4. Before going to sleep, what does Palmer do with his flashlight?
5. What hovers before Palmer's eyes before he runs after his friends to the playground?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the gang attacks Dorothy with snow balls on the first day of school, Palmer joins in without hesitation. How does he rationalize his behavior toward her?
2. Palmer waits for Nipper to return in Chapter 22 and by nightfall Nipper has not done so. How does Palmer react to the pigeon's disappearance? How does his mood change when Nipper returns? What important decision does Palmer make when Nipper returns?
3. Beans begins to escalate the treestumping of Dorothy to get a reaction from her, but she gives him none. His cruel behavior escalates until Dorothy finally does react. What is her reaction, and how does this affect Palmer?
4. How do Dorothy and Palmer finally get Nipper safely out of town and away from danger? How does their behavior then represent their mood?
5. After refusing The Treatment and leaving the gang, Palmer again places Nipper's needs above his. What does he decide to do next?
6. For his birthday, Palmer gets an old apple core, an old sock, and a cigar butt from his new friends. What makes these gifts special? How does Palmer react to his mother's gifts?
7. Palmer is not excited on his birthday, not thrilled with presents or the presence of his friends. Many things hang heavy in his mind. What are some of the things that are troubling Palmer on his tenth birthday?
8. How does Palmer's life change after Nipper is gone?
9. Palmer has an emotional roller coaster ride when he recognizes Nipper flying above the field. What different feelings wash over him including finally holding Nipper in his hands again?
10. In Chapter 32, Beans and the gang take Palmer to find Farquar for his birthday Treatment. When Beans demands that Farquar give Palmer the Treatment, he is faced with a bully bigger than himself. How does Beans respond to Farquar? How does Palmer?
This section contains 1,394 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)