|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Palmer describe the feeling he has when he is with Dorothy?
(a) It is like floating.
(b) It is like going home.
(c) It is like being in love.
(d) It is like romance.
2. What playground equipment do Palmer and the gang play on the afternoon of his party?
(a) The merry-go-gound.
(b) The slide.
(d) The see-saw.
3. Why does Palmer run home and leave the boys behind in Chapter 12?
(a) He is afraid of the dark.
(b) The gang begins to break open a crate of pigeons to harm them.
(c) The gang begins to steal food from the closed concession stand.
(d) The gang teases him about not wringing a pigeon's neck.
4. Where does Palmer's pigeon sleep?
(a) In his closet.
(b) On the windowsill.
(c) In the snow.
(d) Under his bed.
5. What does Palmer ask of his mother one evening before bed?
(a) Palmer asks her to please knock before coming in to his room.
(b) Palmer asks her to please buy pigeon food.
(c) Palmer asks her to please call him Snots.
(d) Palmer asks her to please do his laundry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Palmer find in his bedroom in the middle of the night?
2. What does Beans do with the contents of the spaghetti and meatballs container from the freezer?
3. What do Beans, Mutto, Henry and Palmer sometimes call themselves?
4. Why does Nipper fly around the house once or twice before flying away in the morning?
5. What do the boys begin yelling at the park when they are playing their game?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 25, Palmer has a wonderful day in which he is relaxed and happy. The day dissolves into emotional distress. What happens to make Palmer nervous and upset? What two parts of Palmer's personality come into conflict?
2. What chores does Palmer offer to do for himself? Why does he offer to take care of his own room?
3. In Chapter Three, Palmer joins his new friends out on the street. When Beans asks about Dorothy, Palmer does not answer at first. How does Palmer initially react to the gang's behavior toward Dorothy? Why does he join them as they run down the street after their prank?
4. What is The Treatment? What does it mean to Palmer to receive The Treatment? What does Palmer get after getting through The Treatment?
5. How does Palmer react in Chapter 13 when he is awakened by tapping? Who does he think is at the window? What does he find?
6. How does Palmer come up with the name for his pigeon? What do people feel about animals when they name them? How does Palmer feel about his pigeon?
7. Palmer describes the wish he should make after Nipper has been seen in the sky by the gang. What is that wish? Why can't he make that wish?
8. When Palmer opens the door on his birthday and finds Beans, Mutto and Henry there, he is elated. Why? Who are these boys? What do they represent in Palmer's life?
9. When Palmer returns from Beans' birthday party he finds Dorothy waiting in his room. She sarcastically calls him Snots and talks about his gang. What does she say, and what does she really mean?
10. Palmer waits for Nipper to return in Chapter 22 and by nightfall Nipper has not done so. How does Palmer react to the pigeon's disappearance? How does his mood change when Nipper returns? What important decision does Palmer make when Nipper returns?
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)