|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What smell comes to Palmer's nose as he walks onto the soccer field?
(a) The smell of barbeque.
(b) The smell of fresh baked cookies.
(c) The smell of gunsmoke from the pigeon shoot.
(d) The smell of roses.
2. What hovers before Palmer's eyes before he runs after his friends to the playground?
(a) A mosquito.
(b) A wasp.
(c) A hummingbird.
(d) A dragonfly.
3. What story do people tell about Arthur at the pigeon shoot one summer before he is a wringer?
(a) He wrung a pigeon's neck in the middle of a family picnic.
(b) He hid behind his father, afraid of the falling pigeon feathers.
(c) He became frightened and could not wring a pigeon's neck.
(d) He gathered up all of the dead pigeons in a bag.
4. Who has Palmer invited to his birthday party?
(a) Greeans, Mutton and Shank.
(b) Beans, Mutto and George.
(c) Beans, Mutton and Hank.
(d) Beans, Mutto and Henry.
5. What do Beans, Mutto, Henry and Palmer sometimes call themselves?
(a) The Beans Boys.
(b) The Bad Boys.
(c) The Rabble Rousers.
(d) The Tormentors.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Palmer learn about pigeons?
2. What do the boys leave at Fishface's front door?
3. Where does Palmer's pigeon sleep?
4. Who does Palmer find in his room when he comes home from Beans's party?
5. How does Palmer feel when he arrives home after school and finds the pigeon gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Palmer find in his room the night before the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
2. How do Palmer's parents react to The Treatment?
3. In Chapter 25, Palmer has a wonderful day in which he is relaxed and happy. The day dissolves into emotional distress. What happens to make Palmer nervous and upset? What two parts of Palmer's personality come into conflict?
4. What are some of Palmer's memories of his first pigeon shoot? What does this tell us about Palmer?
5. Palmer waits for Nipper to return in Chapter 22 and by nightfall Nipper has not done so. How does Palmer react to the pigeon's disappearance? How does his mood change when Nipper returns? What important decision does Palmer make when Nipper returns?
6. How does Palmer react when the gang tell him they believe he has a pigeon for a pet? What does Palmer want the gang to believe and why?
7. Palmer tries to explain to Dorothy why he cannot tell people he does not want to be a wringer. What kinds of pressure does he feel? How does he think people will react?
8. Beans begins to escalate the treestumping of Dorothy to get a reaction from her, but she gives him none. His cruel behavior escalates until Dorothy finally does react. What is her reaction, and how does this affect Palmer?
9. Palmer finally becomes old enough to read the inscription on his father's trophy in the den. What did he pretend it said when he was younger? What does it really say? How does Palmer respond to learning what the words actually are?
10. How does Palmer react in Chapter 13 when he is awakened by tapping? Who does he think is at the window? What does he find?
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)