|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What smell comes to Palmer's nose as he walks onto the soccer field?
(a) The smell of roses.
(b) The smell of fresh baked cookies.
(c) The smell of gunsmoke from the pigeon shoot.
(d) The smell of barbeque.
2. What does Palmer believe he will receive from lasting out his time with Farquar?
(a) The honor and respect of the other kids.
(b) Respect from Dorothy.
(c) A new bike.
(d) A birthday party at school.
3. How does the pigeon wake Palmer in the mornings?
(a) Nipping at his earlobe.
(b) Walking on his head.
(c) Flying around the room.
(d) Tapping on the window.
4. Where does Palmer's pigeon sleep?
(a) On the windowsill.
(b) In the snow.
(c) In his closet.
(d) Under his bed.
5. What name does Palmer give his pigeon?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Arthur put the body of the first ever pigeon whose neck he had rung?
2. What other things does Beans do to try and get a reaction from Dorothy?
3. Who does Palmer decide to tell about his pet Nipper?
4. How does Palmer decide to handle Saturday and the pigeon shoot?
5. What is the nickname the boys give Palmer at his party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Beans begins to escalate the treestumping of Dorothy to get a reaction from her, but she gives him none. His cruel behavior escalates until Dorothy finally does react. What is her reaction, and how does this affect Palmer?
2. What other issue between Dorothy and Palmer comes up in Chapter 29? How does Palmer feel about the situation? How does he resolve it?
3. What is The Treatment? What does it mean to Palmer to receive The Treatment? What does Palmer get after getting through The Treatment?
4. When Palmer refuses The Treatment from Farquar, what does he tell Beans when he is screaming at him? Why does he run from the gang then? What does Beans yell to Palmer as he is running away?
5. What curious thing does Palmer notice at the Titans baseball game? What does it remind him of?
6. Palmer explains to Dorothy that he is conflicted about school ending. What is the conflict he feels? At the end of the chapter, the narrator says "But another school was about to begin." Can you guess what this school is, and why it is beginning?
7. What scene do Mutto, Beans and Henry enact at the park? How does Palmer react to their display? Why does he react this way?
8. How does Palmer react in Chapter 13 when he is awakened by tapping? Who does he think is at the window? What does he find?
9. What does Beans pull out of the freezer when the gang is at his house? What does he do with it? The author does not tell us how Palmer feels about what Beans has done. Based on what you know of Palmer, how does he feel about the prank?
10. How does Palmer resolve his problems of meeting his friends at the cannon on the day of the pigeon shoot? Why? What do we learn about Palmer?
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)