|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Palmer ask of his mother one evening before bed?
(a) Palmer asks her to please do his laundry.
(b) Palmer asks her to please call him Snots.
(c) Palmer asks her to please buy pigeon food.
(d) Palmer asks her to please knock before coming in to his room.
2. Who does Palmer find in his bedroom in the middle of the night?
(a) His brother.
(b) His mother and father.
(d) Beans, Mutto and Henry.
3. Why does the town sponsor a pigeon shoot?
(a) To raise money for the school.
(b) To raise money for the transit system.
(c) To raise money for the playground.
(d) To raise money for the baseball team.
4. Who do Palmer and the gang attack with snowballs on their way to school one morning?
5. What are the presents the boys give Palmer?
(a) A bell for his bike, a Monopoly game, a pirate game.
(b) A brown apple core, a dirty sock, an old cigar butt.
(c) A Lego kit, a bow and arrow, a DVD.
(d) A basketball, a pirate costume, a DVD.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the thing Palmer does not want to do?
2. As Palmer and the gang continue treestumping and teasing Dorothy, what does Palmer expect to happen?
3. How does Palmer behave after chasing the bird down the street?
4. In Palmer's dream, what does a pigeon's eye look like?
5. Who is the one person who does not care about Palmer's bruised arm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Palmer asks his mother for a favor. What is the favor, and why does Palmer ask her? How does he explain this to his mother?
2. Once he has decided to name and keep Nipper, Palmer realizes he must divert the gang from coming to his house. Why does he want to keep the boys away? What are some of the excuses he invents?
3. Palmer waits for Nipper to return in Chapter 22 and by nightfall Nipper has not done so. How does Palmer react to the pigeon's disappearance? How does his mood change when Nipper returns? What important decision does Palmer make when Nipper returns?
4. What are some of Palmer's memories of his first pigeon shoot? What does this tell us about Palmer?
5. In Chapter 15, Palmer goes through a series of emotional reactions to the pigeon tapping on his window. What are some of those reactions?
6. Palmer comes home after the boys see a pigeon flying overhead and he cries. Why is he crying? What does he admit about his day?
7. What chores does Palmer offer to do for himself? Why does he offer to take care of his own room?
8. Beans begins to escalate the treestumping of Dorothy to get a reaction from her, but she gives him none. His cruel behavior escalates until Dorothy finally does react. What is her reaction, and how does this affect Palmer?
9. Palmer finally becomes old enough to read the inscription on his father's trophy in the den. What did he pretend it said when he was younger? What does it really say? How does Palmer respond to learning what the words actually are?
10. What scene do Mutto, Beans and Henry enact at the park? How does Palmer react to their display? Why does he react this way?
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)