|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Dorothy and Palmer finally decide to do with Nipper?
(a) Let Palmer's parents help them make a plan for Nipper.
(b) Dorothy will release him far away while she is on vacation.
(c) Release Nipper in the park and leave food for him there.
(d) Dorothy will hide Nipper in her room until the gang leaves Palmer alone.
2. What event happens at the shoot that gets the biggest cheer of all?
(a) Beans wringing two pigeons at once.
(b) A woman who is the best shooter this year.
(c) The event has raised more money than any years previous.
(d) A yellow cat running onto the field and carrying away a wounded bird.
3. For what does Palmer thank Henry?
(a) The warning on his birthday cake.
(b) Answering his questions.
(c) Not messing up his room on the search.
(d) His birthday present.
4. What is the magic word according to the teacher of the class?
(b) "I got it!"
5. What does Palmer hear that lets him know the visitors are gone?
(a) Two laughs.
(b) Someone starting up a car.
(c) A slamming of the window.
(d) Two sharp, quick yelps.
6. What did Palmer notice Mutto was carrying in his pocket on the way home from school?
(a) A BB gun.
(b) A slingshot.
(d) A dart.
7. What happens when Dorothy and Palmer return to Palmer's bedroom?
(a) Nipper is waiting at the window.
(b) Palmer's father wants to go to a ball game.
(c) Beans and Mutto are waiting at the door.
(d) Palmer's mother has fresh baked cookies waiting.
8. What does Palmer's mother tell him she has seen on the stairway of the house?
(a) A black cat.
(b) A grey pigeon.
(c) A yellow cat.
(d) A brown dog.
9. With what does Palmer play in his room alone?
(a) With the shoe box that Nipper roosted in.
(b) With the soldiers his father gave him for his birthday.
(c) With the new Nerf football he bought.
(d) With the new Lego set his parents gave him after Nipper left.
10. What was Beans holding when he came to the door the morning after the party?
(a) Dorothy's diary.
(b) The Nerf ball with Nipper's name on it.
(c) The basketball Palmer got for his birthday.
(d) Palmer's baseball cap.
11. Why does Palmer tell Dorothy he lives in the wrong town?
(a) Because he wants to be on the stage.
(b) Because he should live in a big city.
(c) Because he is a natural comedian.
(d) Because in his town people kill pigeons.
12. How does the gang treat Palmer now that he has refused The Treatment and left them?
(a) They call him names and steal his bike.
(b) They break into his bedroom and mess up his room.
(c) They ask him to come back to the group now that he has gotten rid of Nipper.
(d) They tease him, including treestumping him, and spit on his shoes.
13. What does Palmer do when he knows the bird circling the field is Nipper?
(a) He waves and cries out for his bird.
(b) He covers his face hoping Nipper will not land and be shot.
(c) He runs off the field hoping Nipper will chase him.
(d) He calls for his parents and points at the bird.
14. How does Palmer react to what his mother tells him?
(a) He asks her to leave his room.
(b) He denies everything and gets angry.
(c) He cries in relief in her arms.
(d) He says he will clean his room that night.
15. As Palmer approaches his house, what is he worried about?
(a) Nipper will be dead.
(b) His mother will be angry because he is late for dinner.
(c) His father will be waiting for him to explain why he has a pigeon.
(d) The gang will be waiting at his house to beat him up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Palmer decide the message on his cake means?
2. What disconcerting information does Dorothy give to Palmer during the shoot?
3. How does the narrator describe Palmer's loneliness after Nipper is gone?
4. How do many of the pigeons come out of the boxes for the shoot?
5. Why is Palmer feeling so badly on his birthday?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)