|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Palmer immediately do when Nipper is thrown to the shooter?
(a) He runs away from the field, certain Nipper will be killed.
(b) He runs to the shooter and begs him not to kill Nipper.
(c) He runs to the wringmaster and asks that Beans be punished.
(d) He runs to the bird, sliding on his belly to protect him from the shooter.
2. What does Palmer decide to wear to school on the last day?
(a) A hockey mask.
(b) A football helmet.
(c) A stocking cap.
(d) His elephant mask.
3. Why does Palmer's mother ask to come into his room?
(a) To ask him about his plans for the pigeon shoot.
(b) To tell him she knows about Nipper.
(c) To ask him about the white, chalky spots all over the room.
(d) To tell him he must clean his room.
4. As Palmer approaches his house, what is he worried about?
(a) His mother will be angry because he is late for dinner.
(b) Nipper will be dead.
(c) The gang will be waiting at his house to beat him up.
(d) His father will be waiting for him to explain why he has a pigeon.
5. Why is Palmer feeling so badly on his birthday?
(a) He knows he will now have to be a wringer.
(b) He knows his parents will find out about Nipper.
(c) He knows he will never have a brother.
(d) He knows he will have more chores around the house.
6. Where has Palmer hidden after running away from the gang?
(a) At Dorothy's house.
(b) In his bedroom with Nipper.
(c) At the park playground.
(d) Behind a dumpster behind the supermarket.
7. Why does Palmer tell Dorothy he lives in the wrong town?
(a) Because he should live in a big city.
(b) Because he wants to be on the stage.
(c) Because he is a natural comedian.
(d) Because in his town people kill pigeons.
8. What is Henry's real name?
9. What important question does Dorothy ask Palmer as his birthday approaches?
(a) Will he invite the gang to his party?
(b) Will he introduce Nipper to everyone at the party?
(c) Will he have a party this year?
(d) WIll he invite her to his party?
10. Why can't Palmer ask the gang over to see for themselves that the pigeon is gone?
(a) There is still pigeon poop all over the floors and bookshelves.
(b) His mother will never allow them in the house again.
(c) His mother keeps the door to his room locked now.
(d) There is still cereal and other foods in the closet.
11. How does the narrator describe Palmer's loneliness after Nipper is gone?
(a) Palmer is as "empty as the cicada husks on the trees."
(b) Palmer is as "lonely as an umbrella in sunshine."
(c) Palmer is as "confused as a rabbit with a blindfold."
(d) Palmer is as "empty as a spent bullet cartridge."
12. To what school do Beans and the gang bring Palmer?
(a) Wringer school.
(b) Music school.
(c) Riflery school.
(d) Summer school.
13. What does Palmer do when he knows the bird circling the field is Nipper?
(a) He waves and cries out for his bird.
(b) He runs off the field hoping Nipper will chase him.
(c) He calls for his parents and points at the bird.
(d) He covers his face hoping Nipper will not land and be shot.
14. What are the sacrifices Palmer sees he has made in order to save Nipper?
(a) He is not in the gang anymore, he is a liar, and he is a fake.
(b) He is not in the gang anymore, he feels he is a traitor, and his pet is gone.
(c) He is not in the gang anymore, Beans wants to get him, and he is a liar.
(d) He is not in the gang anymore, Nipper is gone, and he has lost Dorothy, too.
15. How has Palmer's dad been treating him since Nipper left?
(a) He has been affectionate, tousling his hair and rubbing his shoulders.
(b) He has been disappointed in Palmer.
(c) He has behaved as he always does.
(d) He has been distant and aloof.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Palmer find in his bedroom when he rushes in?
2. What was Palmer fearful the teacher would notice about him?
3. What does Palmer imagine the gang is doing while he is hiding from them?
4. What do Dorothy and Palmer decide to do with Nipper?
5. What does Palmer finally do on the last Monday of the school year?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)