|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Palmer find in his bedroom when he rushes in?
(a) Nipper at the window and the yellow cat on his bed.
(b) His mother looking at the mess in his room.
(c) Nipper at the window and Dorothy shooting baskets.
(d) Dorothy playing with Nipper and his Nerf ball.
2. Why does Palmer's mother ask to come into his room?
(a) To ask him about the white, chalky spots all over the room.
(b) To ask him about his plans for the pigeon shoot.
(c) To tell him she knows about Nipper.
(d) To tell him he must clean his room.
3. How high is the stack of crates housing the pigeons for the shoot?
(a) Twice as high as Palmer's house.
(b) Twice as high as the telephone poles.
(c) Twice as high as the goal posts.
(d) Twice as high as the grandstand.
4. Where does Palmer go on his bike on Friday night?
(a) To the movies.
(b) To the old train station to see the pigeons.
(c) To the soccer field.
(d) To Dorothy's house.
5. Where has Palmer hidden after running away from the gang?
(a) In his bedroom with Nipper.
(b) At Dorothy's house.
(c) Behind a dumpster behind the supermarket.
(d) At the park playground.
6. What happens after Nipper lands on Palmer's head?
(a) Beans apologizes to Palmer for his cruelty.
(b) Beans runs up, grabs Nipper, and throws him at the feet of the shooter.
(c) Beans laughs at Palmer and calls him Pigeonhead.
(d) Beans grabs Nipper and wrings his neck.
7. Why does Dorothy begin laughing when Palmer is talking seriously about Nipper's possible fate?
(a) Because Nipper has knocked over the comic books.
(b) Because Nipper is sitting on Palmer's head.
(c) Because Nipper is imitating Palmer's walk.
(d) Because Nipper has shot a basket with the Nerf ball.
8. Who does Palmer believe left the message on his cake?
(b) HIs father.
9. Where did Palmer wake up the day after his birthday party?
(a) In his bed room.
(b) In his living room.
(c) In his parent's room.
(d) In his closet.
10. What does the worker that Palmer meets give to him?
(a) A popcicle.
(b) A cold can of Sprite.
(c) A Coke.
(d) A cold bottle of root beer.
11. Who does Palmer recognize as wringers, and what do they each do?
(a) Beans, Mutto and Henry who all wring the pigeon's necks.
(b) Beans who wrings, Mutto who wrings, and Henry who bags the dead pigeons.
(c) Beans and Mutto working alone as wringers.
(d) Henry who wrings with his older brothers.
12. How does Palmer react to what his mother tells him?
(a) He asks her to leave his room.
(b) He denies everything and gets angry.
(c) He says he will clean his room that night.
(d) He cries in relief in her arms.
13. How does the narrator describe Palmer's loneliness after Nipper is gone?
(a) Palmer is as "confused as a rabbit with a blindfold."
(b) Palmer is as "empty as the cicada husks on the trees."
(c) Palmer is as "lonely as an umbrella in sunshine."
(d) Palmer is as "empty as a spent bullet cartridge."
14. Why can't Palmer ask the gang over to see for themselves that the pigeon is gone?
(a) His mother keeps the door to his room locked now.
(b) There is still pigeon poop all over the floors and bookshelves.
(c) His mother will never allow them in the house again.
(d) There is still cereal and other foods in the closet.
15. What does Palmer's mother tell him she has seen on the stairway of the house?
(a) A black cat.
(b) A grey pigeon.
(c) A brown dog.
(d) A yellow cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Palmer decide the message on his cake means?
2. What does Palmer immediately do when Nipper is thrown to the shooter?
3. What does Palmer do to get himself detention after school?
4. How has Palmer's dad been treating him since Nipper left?
5. What condition does Palmer's mother place on his having a tenth birthday party?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)