|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Palmer's mother ask to come into his room?
(a) To ask him about his plans for the pigeon shoot.
(b) To tell him he must clean his room.
(c) To tell him she knows about Nipper.
(d) To ask him about the white, chalky spots all over the room.
2. Why does Palmer run upstairs after hearing about the cat?
(a) He wants to make sure his windows are all closed.
(b) He knows there is no cat and she thinks he has a pigeon.
(c) He is afraid he will tell his mother about Nipper.
(d) He knows she saw Panther, and wants to check on Nipper.
3. What does Palmer's mother tell him she has seen on the stairway of the house?
(a) A grey pigeon.
(b) A yellow cat.
(c) A brown dog.
(d) A black cat.
4. What is the magic word according to the teacher of the class?
(d) "I got it!"
5. What did Palmer notice Mutto was carrying in his pocket on the way home from school?
(b) A BB gun.
(c) A slingshot.
(d) A dart.
6. What does Palmer do with his toy soldiers the day after the big battle he had staged with them and the enemy eraser?
(a) He puts them back in his dresser drawer.
(b) He buries them in the back yard.
(c) He gives them back to his father.
(d) He puts them in his closet in a new box.
7. What are the sacrifices Palmer sees he has made in order to save Nipper?
(a) He is not in the gang anymore, he feels he is a traitor, and his pet is gone.
(b) He is not in the gang anymore, Beans wants to get him, and he is a liar.
(c) He is not in the gang anymore, Nipper is gone, and he has lost Dorothy, too.
(d) He is not in the gang anymore, he is a liar, and he is a fake.
8. Where did Palmer wake up the day after his birthday party?
(a) In his living room.
(b) In his parent's room.
(c) In his closet.
(d) In his bed room.
9. What does Palmer explain to Dorothy when he tells her about his afternoon disagreement with the gang?
(a) Beans is no longer interested in hurting Nipper, only Palmer.
(b) Beans got his nickname from eating beans from a can.
(c) Beans has kicked Palmer out of the group and he is sad.
(d) Beans knows about Nipper and is going to try and hurt him.
10. Who does Palmer believe left the message on his cake?
(a) HIs father.
11. Why does Palmer tell Dorothy he lives in the wrong town?
(a) Because he should live in a big city.
(b) Because he wants to be on the stage.
(c) Because he is a natural comedian.
(d) Because in his town people kill pigeons.
12. Why does Palmer cover himself up to go to school the day after Nipper lands on his head in front of the gang?
(a) He wants to get in trouble with the gang.
(b) He wants to get laughs at school.
(c) He hopes not to catch a cold.
(d) He hopes Nipper will not recognize him.
13. What does Palmer finally do on the last Monday of the school year?
(a) He tickles the teacher.
(b) He cheats on a test.
(c) He hits a student.
(d) He breaks a window.
14. What does Palmer find in his bedroom when he rushes in?
(a) Nipper at the window and Dorothy shooting baskets.
(b) His mother looking at the mess in his room.
(c) Dorothy playing with Nipper and his Nerf ball.
(d) Nipper at the window and the yellow cat on his bed.
15. What does Palmer imagine the gang is doing while he is hiding from them?
(a) Telling people Palmer was too chicken to get The Treatment and ran away.
(b) Asking people if they have seen him and if so to call the police.
(c) Asking people about him and telling people he has a pigeon for a pet.
(d) Telling people he stole from the grocery store and they are looking for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothy do on Palmer's birthday?
2. Why can't Palmer ask the gang over to see for themselves that the pigeon is gone?
3. How does Palmer explain where he was when the gang came to his room the night before?
4. What does Palmer do when he knows the bird circling the field is Nipper?
5. How does the narrator describe Palmer's loneliness after Nipper is gone?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)