|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How high is the stack of crates housing the pigeons for the shoot?
(a) Twice as high as the telephone poles.
(b) Twice as high as Palmer's house.
(c) Twice as high as the goal posts.
(d) Twice as high as the grandstand.
2. What do Dorothy and Palmer decide to do with Nipper?
(a) Take Nipper away from their neighborhood so he will be safe.
(b) Take Nipper to Dorothy's house and hide him.
(c) Bring Nipper to the zoo.
(d) Bring Nipper to a veterinarian's office.
3. Who does Palmer recognize as wringers, and what do they each do?
(a) Beans, Mutto and Henry who all wring the pigeon's necks.
(b) Henry who wrings with his older brothers.
(c) Beans who wrings, Mutto who wrings, and Henry who bags the dead pigeons.
(d) Beans and Mutto working alone as wringers.
4. What disconcerting information does Dorothy give to Palmer during the shoot?
(a) She let Nipper loose at the neighboring town.
(b) She let Nipper loose at the beach.
(c) She let Nipper loose at the railroad yards.
(d) She has kept Nipper in her closet all this time.
5. What does Palmer immediately do when Nipper is thrown to the shooter?
(a) He runs to the shooter and begs him not to kill Nipper.
(b) He runs to the bird, sliding on his belly to protect him from the shooter.
(c) He runs away from the field, certain Nipper will be killed.
(d) He runs to the wringmaster and asks that Beans be punished.
6. Why does Palmer tell Dorothy he lives in the wrong town?
(a) Because he is a natural comedian.
(b) Because he wants to be on the stage.
(c) Because he should live in a big city.
(d) Because in his town people kill pigeons.
7. Why can't Palmer ask the gang over to see for themselves that the pigeon is gone?
(a) His mother will never allow them in the house again.
(b) There is still cereal and other foods in the closet.
(c) His mother keeps the door to his room locked now.
(d) There is still pigeon poop all over the floors and bookshelves.
8. For what does Palmer thank Henry?
(a) Not messing up his room on the search.
(b) The warning on his birthday cake.
(c) His birthday present.
(d) Answering his questions.
9. Where does Palmer's dad take him one evening, just the two of them?
(a) To the movies to see "Independence Day."
(b) To a basketball game at the downtown arena.
(c) To a baseball game in a nearby town.
(d) To the mall to play video games.
10. How does the narrator describe Palmer's loneliness after Nipper is gone?
(a) Palmer is as "empty as a spent bullet cartridge."
(b) Palmer is as "empty as the cicada husks on the trees."
(c) Palmer is as "lonely as an umbrella in sunshine."
(d) Palmer is as "confused as a rabbit with a blindfold."
11. How has Palmer's dad been treating him since Nipper left?
(a) He has been disappointed in Palmer.
(b) He has been affectionate, tousling his hair and rubbing his shoulders.
(c) He has been distant and aloof.
(d) He has behaved as he always does.
12. Who does Palmer believe left the message on his cake?
(a) HIs father.
13. As Palmer walks away, Nipper in his hands, what does he hear a small child say?
(a) "Is he dead, mister?"
(b) "Why does he get to keep the pigeon?"
(c) "Can I have one too, Daddy?"
(d) "No fair!"
14. What does Palmer decide to do to avoid the warning?
(a) Spend the night at Dorothy's.
(b) Tell his parents he is afraid of Beans.
(c) Take Nipper and sleep somewhere else in the house.
(d) Open the window and make Nipper fly away.
15. What does Palmer realize he has left in his room?
(a) HIs pillow.
(b) HIs flashlight.
(c) The Honey Crunchers he feeds Nipper.
(d) Nipper's bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Palmer explain where he was when the gang came to his room the night before?
2. What does Palmer imagine while looking for Nipper in the pigeon crates?
3. What does the worker that Palmer meets give to him?
4. What does Palmer explain to Dorothy when he tells her about his afternoon disagreement with the gang?
5. Palmer tells Dorothy there are two things they need to do so that Nipper will not come back. What are they?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)