|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Palmer feeling so badly on his birthday?
(a) He knows his parents will find out about Nipper.
(b) He knows he will have more chores around the house.
(c) He knows he will never have a brother.
(d) He knows he will now have to be a wringer.
2. Who brings Nipper into the meadow and then into the woods?
(a) Neither one, they set him free at the meadow's edge.
(b) Dorothy does since she has the basket.
(c) They both take him in and leave him.
(d) Palmer does on Dorothy's bike.
3. What does Palmer's mother tell him she has seen on the stairway of the house?
(a) A grey pigeon.
(b) A black cat.
(c) A yellow cat.
(d) A brown dog.
4. What does Palmer do right before getting The Treatment?
(a) Rolls up his sleeves and starts to cry.
(b) Rolls down his sleeve, steps back and says no.
(c) Asks if Beans could give The Treatment this time.
(d) Rolls up both sleeves for a double treatment.
5. What does Palmer do to get himself detention after school?
(a) He skips school.
(b) He writes on the walls of the room.
(c) He curses at his teacher.
(d) He spits on the floor of his classroom.
6. What are some of the ways Palmer says the gang might try to kill Nipper?
(a) Nets, pellet guns, and traps.
(b) Slingshots, pellet guns, and nets.
(c) Slingshots, BB guns, and poison.
(d) Poison, traps, and slingshots.
7. Where has Palmer hidden after running away from the gang?
(a) At the park playground.
(b) At Dorothy's house.
(c) In his bedroom with Nipper.
(d) Behind a dumpster behind the supermarket.
8. How has Palmer's dad been treating him since Nipper left?
(a) He has behaved as he always does.
(b) He has been disappointed in Palmer.
(c) He has been affectionate, tousling his hair and rubbing his shoulders.
(d) He has been distant and aloof.
9. What was Beans holding when he came to the door the morning after the party?
(a) The Nerf ball with Nipper's name on it.
(b) The basketball Palmer got for his birthday.
(c) Palmer's baseball cap.
(d) Dorothy's diary.
10. What do Dorothy and Palmer finally decide to do with Nipper?
(a) Release Nipper in the park and leave food for him there.
(b) Dorothy will hide Nipper in her room until the gang leaves Palmer alone.
(c) Let Palmer's parents help them make a plan for Nipper.
(d) Dorothy will release him far away while she is on vacation.
11. What do Dorothy and Palmer decide to do with Nipper?
(a) Bring Nipper to the zoo.
(b) Take Nipper to Dorothy's house and hide him.
(c) Take Nipper away from their neighborhood so he will be safe.
(d) Bring Nipper to a veterinarian's office.
12. What disconcerting information does Dorothy give to Palmer during the shoot?
(a) She let Nipper loose at the beach.
(b) She has kept Nipper in her closet all this time.
(c) She let Nipper loose at the railroad yards.
(d) She let Nipper loose at the neighboring town.
13. What is the magic word according to the teacher of the class?
(b) "I got it!"
14. What does Palmer decide the message on his cake means?
(a) He will get his birthday wish.
(b) He will have visitors in his room that night.
(c) Beans will try and catch Panther in Palmer's house.
(d) Nipper will not sleep in the closet tonight.
15. What does Dorothy suggest Palmer do to end his problem of not wanting to be a wringer?
(a) Tell everyone he is moving away.
(b) Tell everyone he does not want to wring pigeons' necks.
(c) Tell everyone he is allergic to birds.
(d) Tell everyone he is not a murderer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the kids call the teacher of the class?
2. With what does Palmer play in his room alone?
3. What stories do the children hear about the pigeons in their crates awaiting the shoot?
4. Where did Palmer wake up the day after his birthday party?
5. What are the two benefits Palmer realizes from misbehaving in school?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)