|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Palmer believe left the message on his cake?
(c) HIs father.
2. What is Henry's real name?
3. What does Palmer do with his toy soldiers the day after the big battle he had staged with them and the enemy eraser?
(a) He buries them in the back yard.
(b) He gives them back to his father.
(c) He puts them back in his dresser drawer.
(d) He puts them in his closet in a new box.
4. Who brings Nipper into the meadow and then into the woods?
(a) Palmer does on Dorothy's bike.
(b) They both take him in and leave him.
(c) Dorothy does since she has the basket.
(d) Neither one, they set him free at the meadow's edge.
5. Why does Palmer cover himself up to go to school the day after Nipper lands on his head in front of the gang?
(a) He hopes not to catch a cold.
(b) He hopes Nipper will not recognize him.
(c) He wants to get laughs at school.
(d) He wants to get in trouble with the gang.
6. How high is the stack of crates housing the pigeons for the shoot?
(a) Twice as high as the telephone poles.
(b) Twice as high as the grandstand.
(c) Twice as high as the goal posts.
(d) Twice as high as Palmer's house.
7. What do Dorothy and Palmer decide to do with Nipper?
(a) Bring Nipper to the zoo.
(b) Bring Nipper to a veterinarian's office.
(c) Take Nipper to Dorothy's house and hide him.
(d) Take Nipper away from their neighborhood so he will be safe.
8. What does Palmer imagine the gang is doing while he is hiding from them?
(a) Telling people Palmer was too chicken to get The Treatment and ran away.
(b) Asking people about him and telling people he has a pigeon for a pet.
(c) Telling people he stole from the grocery store and they are looking for him.
(d) Asking people if they have seen him and if so to call the police.
9. How does the narrator describe Palmer's loneliness after Nipper is gone?
(a) Palmer is as "empty as a spent bullet cartridge."
(b) Palmer is as "confused as a rabbit with a blindfold."
(c) Palmer is as "lonely as an umbrella in sunshine."
(d) Palmer is as "empty as the cicada husks on the trees."
10. Palmer tells Dorothy there are two things they need to do so that Nipper will not come back. What are they?
(a) Blindfold Nipper and leave him in a bush.
(b) Go a long distance from him and blindfold him.
(c) Take Nipper to a place with water.
(d) Go a long distance from home and confuse him.
11. The next day as they leave on their bikes, where do Palmer and Dorothy tell their families they are going?
(a) To a friend's house to play.
(b) On a twenty mile long bike ride.
(c) On an early morning breakfast picnic at the park.
(d) To the bike trail to meet the other kids for a bike ride.
12. What does Miss Kiner ask Palmer to do as punishment?
(a) Wash all of the windows in the room.
(b) Sweep and mop the classroom floor.
(c) Sit at his desk and do nothing.
(d) Write a sentence one hundred times on the blackboard.
13. What happens after Nipper lands on Palmer's head?
(a) Beans runs up, grabs Nipper, and throws him at the feet of the shooter.
(b) Beans grabs Nipper and wrings his neck.
(c) Beans laughs at Palmer and calls him Pigeonhead.
(d) Beans apologizes to Palmer for his cruelty.
14. What does Palmer imagine while looking for Nipper in the pigeon crates?
(a) Palmer can imagine how lonely Nipper must feel.
(b) Palmer can imagine what it is like to be Nipper and shot.
(c) Palmer can imagine Beans's delight in wringing pigeons' necks.
(d) Palmer can imagine how Dorothy must be feeling.
15. Why does Dorothy begin laughing when Palmer is talking seriously about Nipper's possible fate?
(a) Because Nipper has shot a basket with the Nerf ball.
(b) Because Nipper is imitating Palmer's walk.
(c) Because Nipper is sitting on Palmer's head.
(d) Because Nipper has knocked over the comic books.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Palmer recognize as wringers, and what do they each do?
2. What does Palmer find in his bedroom when he rushes in?
3. How does Beans react to Palmer's running away from the gang?
4. What did Palmer notice Mutto was carrying in his pocket on the way home from school?
5. With what does Palmer play in his room alone?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)