|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Palmer realize is the only member of the gang he is not afraid of?
2. As Palmer approaches his house, what is he worried about?
(a) His father will be waiting for him to explain why he has a pigeon.
(b) His mother will be angry because he is late for dinner.
(c) Nipper will be dead.
(d) The gang will be waiting at his house to beat him up.
3. What does Palmer find on his birthday cake later in the evening?
(d) "Happy birthday, snots."
4. What are the sacrifices Palmer sees he has made in order to save Nipper?
(a) He is not in the gang anymore, he feels he is a traitor, and his pet is gone.
(b) He is not in the gang anymore, Nipper is gone, and he has lost Dorothy, too.
(c) He is not in the gang anymore, he is a liar, and he is a fake.
(d) He is not in the gang anymore, Beans wants to get him, and he is a liar.
5. How has Palmer's dad been treating him since Nipper left?
(a) He has behaved as he always does.
(b) He has been distant and aloof.
(c) He has been disappointed in Palmer.
(d) He has been affectionate, tousling his hair and rubbing his shoulders.
6. How do many of the pigeons come out of the boxes for the shoot?
(a) They are flying circles overhead and diving down to the shooters.
(b) They walk out, look around, then fly away.
(c) They are flying away faster than they shooters can shoot.
(d) They are walking about or pecking for food rather than flying.
7. What was Palmer fearful the teacher would notice about him?
(a) That he was frightened of birds.
(b) That he did not want to be a wringer.
(c) That he had not practiced like the other kids.
(d) That he had a pigeon for a pet.
8. Where do Palmer and his friends go after cake and ice cream?
(a) To find Mrs. LaRue and thank her for the cake.
(b) To find Farquar for The Treatment.
(c) To find Mr. LaRue's rifle.
(d) To the mall.
9. What does Palmer imagine while looking for Nipper in the pigeon crates?
(a) Palmer can imagine Beans's delight in wringing pigeons' necks.
(b) Palmer can imagine how lonely Nipper must feel.
(c) Palmer can imagine what it is like to be Nipper and shot.
(d) Palmer can imagine how Dorothy must be feeling.
10. At the end of the day, why does Palmer feel he can smile?
(a) Because the day is over.
(b) Because he is going to a new school in the fall.
(c) Because he has successfuly fooled his teacher.
(d) Because he has finished this school year and kept Nipper hidden.
11. What does the worker that Palmer meets give to him?
(a) A cold can of Sprite.
(b) A cold bottle of root beer.
(c) A Coke.
(d) A popcicle.
12. Palmer tells Dorothy there are two things they need to do so that Nipper will not come back. What are they?
(a) Take Nipper to a place with water.
(b) Go a long distance from home and confuse him.
(c) Blindfold Nipper and leave him in a bush.
(d) Go a long distance from him and blindfold him.
13. What does Dorothy suggest Palmer do to end his problem of not wanting to be a wringer?
(a) Tell everyone he is allergic to birds.
(b) Tell everyone he does not want to wring pigeons' necks.
(c) Tell everyone he is not a murderer.
(d) Tell everyone he is moving away.
14. Where does Palmer go the night of the warning?
(a) To sleep in his parent's bedroom.
(b) To sleep at his cousin's house.
(c) To sleep at Dorothy's.
(d) To sleep with Nipper behind the living room couch.
15. How does Henry behave in Palmer's room?
(a) Nervous and uncomfortable.
(b) Happy and playful.
(c) Mean and teasing.
(d) Casual and unconcerned.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the gang treat Palmer now that he has refused The Treatment and left them?
2. What do Dorothy and Palmer decide to do with Nipper?
3. Who does Palmer recognize as wringers, and what do they each do?
4. What does Palmer's mother tell him she has seen on the stairway of the house?
5. What disconcerting information does Dorothy give to Palmer during the shoot?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)