|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Palmer do when he knows the bird circling the field is Nipper?
(a) He waves and cries out for his bird.
(b) He runs off the field hoping Nipper will chase him.
(c) He calls for his parents and points at the bird.
(d) He covers his face hoping Nipper will not land and be shot.
2. Palmer tells Dorothy there are two things they need to do so that Nipper will not come back. What are they?
(a) Blindfold Nipper and leave him in a bush.
(b) Go a long distance from home and confuse him.
(c) Take Nipper to a place with water.
(d) Go a long distance from him and blindfold him.
3. Who comes to see Palmer's room and check that there is no pigeon in the room?
4. What did Palmer do when it was his turn to practice wringing a fake pigeon's neck?
(a) He threw the fake pigeon at the teacher.
(b) He threw the fake pigeon at Beans and walked away.
(c) He wringed the fake pigeon's neck, threw it on the ground and walked away.
(d) He screamed at the teacher and walked away.
5. What is the magic word according to the teacher of the class?
(a) "I got it!"
6. What does Mr. LaRue think of Palmer's friend Nipper?
(a) He explains he is allergic to birds.
(b) He is furious and wants Nipper out of the house immediately.
(c) He feels sorry for his son because he has to be a wringer this summer.
(d) He has accepted Nipper and even goes to see him at night with a flashlight.
7. As Palmer approaches his house, what is he worried about?
(a) His father will be waiting for him to explain why he has a pigeon.
(b) His mother will be angry because he is late for dinner.
(c) Nipper will be dead.
(d) The gang will be waiting at his house to beat him up.
8. What does Palmer realize he has left in his room?
(a) HIs flashlight.
(b) Nipper's bed.
(c) The Honey Crunchers he feeds Nipper.
(d) HIs pillow.
9. How high is the stack of crates housing the pigeons for the shoot?
(a) Twice as high as Palmer's house.
(b) Twice as high as the grandstand.
(c) Twice as high as the goal posts.
(d) Twice as high as the telephone poles.
10. What does Palmer realize while hiding from the gang?
(a) His mother might go into his room looking for him.
(b) Nipper is on his way to Palmer's bedroom window.
(c) The gang has given up on finding him.
(d) He is hungry and it is dinner time.
11. What happens when Dorothy and Palmer return to Palmer's bedroom?
(a) Beans and Mutto are waiting at the door.
(b) Nipper is waiting at the window.
(c) Palmer's father wants to go to a ball game.
(d) Palmer's mother has fresh baked cookies waiting.
12. What does Dorothy suggest Palmer do to end his problem of not wanting to be a wringer?
(a) Tell everyone he is allergic to birds.
(b) Tell everyone he is not a murderer.
(c) Tell everyone he does not want to wring pigeons' necks.
(d) Tell everyone he is moving away.
13. Where do Palmer and his friends go after cake and ice cream?
(a) To the mall.
(b) To find Mr. LaRue's rifle.
(c) To find Mrs. LaRue and thank her for the cake.
(d) To find Farquar for The Treatment.
14. Who does Palmer believe left the message on his cake?
(d) HIs father.
15. How does Henry behave in Palmer's room?
(a) Happy and playful.
(b) Nervous and uncomfortable.
(c) Mean and teasing.
(d) Casual and unconcerned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the sacrifices Palmer sees he has made in order to save Nipper?
2. What does Palmer do to get himself detention after school?
3. How does Palmer explain where he was when the gang came to his room the night before?
4. How does Palmer react to what his mother tells him?
5. How has Palmer's dad been treating him since Nipper left?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)