|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to see Palmer's room and check that there is no pigeon in the room?
2. How do many of the pigeons come out of the boxes for the shoot?
(a) They walk out, look around, then fly away.
(b) They are walking about or pecking for food rather than flying.
(c) They are flying away faster than they shooters can shoot.
(d) They are flying circles overhead and diving down to the shooters.
3. Why does Dorothy begin laughing when Palmer is talking seriously about Nipper's possible fate?
(a) Because Nipper has knocked over the comic books.
(b) Because Nipper is imitating Palmer's walk.
(c) Because Nipper is sitting on Palmer's head.
(d) Because Nipper has shot a basket with the Nerf ball.
4. What are the sacrifices Palmer sees he has made in order to save Nipper?
(a) He is not in the gang anymore, he is a liar, and he is a fake.
(b) He is not in the gang anymore, Beans wants to get him, and he is a liar.
(c) He is not in the gang anymore, he feels he is a traitor, and his pet is gone.
(d) He is not in the gang anymore, Nipper is gone, and he has lost Dorothy, too.
5. Why does Palmer cover himself up to go to school the day after Nipper lands on his head in front of the gang?
(a) He wants to get laughs at school.
(b) He hopes Nipper will not recognize him.
(c) He hopes not to catch a cold.
(d) He wants to get in trouble with the gang.
6. What does Palmer do when he knows the bird circling the field is Nipper?
(a) He runs off the field hoping Nipper will chase him.
(b) He calls for his parents and points at the bird.
(c) He waves and cries out for his bird.
(d) He covers his face hoping Nipper will not land and be shot.
7. What does Palmer explain to Dorothy when he tells her about his afternoon disagreement with the gang?
(a) Beans knows about Nipper and is going to try and hurt him.
(b) Beans has kicked Palmer out of the group and he is sad.
(c) Beans got his nickname from eating beans from a can.
(d) Beans is no longer interested in hurting Nipper, only Palmer.
8. What did Palmer notice Mutto was carrying in his pocket on the way home from school?
(a) A BB gun.
(b) A slingshot.
(d) A dart.
9. Why does Palmer tell Dorothy he lives in the wrong town?
(a) Because he wants to be on the stage.
(b) Because he is a natural comedian.
(c) Because in his town people kill pigeons.
(d) Because he should live in a big city.
10. What did Palmer do when it was his turn to practice wringing a fake pigeon's neck?
(a) He threw the fake pigeon at Beans and walked away.
(b) He threw the fake pigeon at the teacher.
(c) He screamed at the teacher and walked away.
(d) He wringed the fake pigeon's neck, threw it on the ground and walked away.
11. What disconcerting information does Dorothy give to Palmer during the shoot?
(a) She has kept Nipper in her closet all this time.
(b) She let Nipper loose at the neighboring town.
(c) She let Nipper loose at the beach.
(d) She let Nipper loose at the railroad yards.
12. What are some of the ways Palmer says the gang might try to kill Nipper?
(a) Poison, traps, and slingshots.
(b) Slingshots, BB guns, and poison.
(c) Slingshots, pellet guns, and nets.
(d) Nets, pellet guns, and traps.
13. Who does Palmer realize is the only member of the gang he is not afraid of?
14. With whom does Palmer go to the Family Fest?
(b) No one.
(c) His mother and father.
(d) The gang.
15. What was Beans holding when he came to the door the morning after the party?
(a) The Nerf ball with Nipper's name on it.
(b) Palmer's baseball cap.
(c) Dorothy's diary.
(d) The basketball Palmer got for his birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dorothy tells him he is famous, how does Palmer respond?
2. To what school do Beans and the gang bring Palmer?
3. Who does Palmer believe left the message on his cake?
4. What does Miss Kiner ask Palmer to do as punishment?
5. What does Mr. LaRue think of Palmer's friend Nipper?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)