|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Palmer have trouble concentrating at school?
(a) He was thinking about Dorothy.
(b) He was thinking about who had been tapping on his window.
(c) He was thinking about sledding.
(d) He was getting sick.
2. In Palmer's dream, what does a pigeon's eye look like?
(a) A coat button, blue with an orange center.
(b) A shirt button, orange with a black dot in the center.
(c) A coat button, orange with a black ring around it.
(d) A shirt button, black with an orange dot in the center.
3. What does Palmer get for Christmas from his parents?
(a) A new red skateboard.
(b) A new red bicycle.
(c) A new red coat.
(d) A new red sled.
4. What smell comes to Palmer's nose as he walks onto the soccer field?
(a) The smell of fresh baked cookies.
(b) The smell of barbeque.
(c) The smell of gunsmoke from the pigeon shoot.
(d) The smell of roses.
5. When Palmer asks his mother why the boy wrung the pigeon's neck, what does she say?
(a) "To put the pigeon out of its misery."
(b) "To make the boy feel proud."
(c) "To let everyone know the pigeon shoot had started."
(d) "To help the pigeon go to heaven."
6. How does Palmer's dad respond when Palmer asks him if he was a wringer?
(a) He tells Palmer no, and Palmer does not have to be a wringer, either.
(b) He tells Palmer yes, and assures him he will be one, too.
(c) He tells Palmer yes, and explains how much he liked it.
(d) He tells Palmer no, he does not believe in wringing.
7. What does Palmer hear in his dream on the night of his birthday?
(a) "Your father must respect you to give you the soldiers."
(b) "You have run out of birthdays."
(c) "You are finally nine years old."
(d) "You are so cool."
8. Who does Palmer find in his bedroom in the middle of the night?
(a) His mother and father.
(c) Beans, Mutto and Henry.
(d) His brother.
9. What is Beans' real name?
(a) Arthur Dodds.
(b) Arthur LaRue.
(c) Arthur Palmer.
(d) Arthur Jenkins.
10. How does Palmer feel when he arrives home after school and finds the pigeon gone?
(a) Frightened to be alone.
(b) Relieved that the gang will not see the pigeon.
(c) Lonely to have lost a friend.
(d) Sad to see the pigeon had left.
11. What does Palmer ask of his mother one evening before bed?
(a) Palmer asks her to please call him Snots.
(b) Palmer asks her to please knock before coming in to his room.
(c) Palmer asks her to please buy pigeon food.
(d) Palmer asks her to please do his laundry.
12. What are the presents the boys give Palmer?
(a) A Lego kit, a bow and arrow, a DVD.
(b) A bell for his bike, a Monopoly game, a pirate game.
(c) A brown apple core, a dirty sock, an old cigar butt.
(d) A basketball, a pirate costume, a DVD.
13. What does Palmer know he should wish but cannot?
(a) That Nipper should only fly at night.
(b) That Nipper would move to Dorothy's house.
(c) That Nipper would go to a pigeon-friendlier town.
(d) That Nipper would find a friend.
14. What does the pigeon do when Palmer opens the window the second evening?
(a) The pigeon flies around the room squawking.
(b) The pigeon flies away.
(c) The pigeon hops to the desk and looks at Palmer.
(d) The pigeon walks into Palmer's bedroom and up to his head.
15. What does Beans do when he sees a pigeon in the sky?
(a) Pulls out a bb gun and shoots at it.
(b) Chases it and wrings its neck.
(c) Pulls out a slingshot and shoots at it.
(d) Chases after it to an alley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Palmer find in his room when he comes home from Beans's party?
2. What is treestumping?
3. Who do the boys see at the playground on Palmer's birthday?
4. How does Palmer react to Bean's accusation?
5. Where is Palmer to meet the gang on Saturday for the pigeon shoot?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)