|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Palmer imagine Beans lives?
(a) In a shelter for the homeless.
(b) In a lean-to or a cave by the creek.
(c) In an orphanage.
(d) In a mansion with his parents.
2. What other things does Beans do to try and get a reaction from Dorothy?
(a) Make faces, screams, dumps beans on her shoes, takes her hat.
(b) Trips her, calls her names, rips up her homework papers.
(c) Screams, steals her books, throws her papers away.
(d) Pushes her, screams, throws her hat away.
3. What do the boys begin yelling at the park when they are playing their game?
(a) "Where is Fishface?"
(b) "Who is afraid of us?"
(c) "Palmer is a chicken!"
(d) "Wringer! Wringer!"
4. Where do Palmer and the kids in town go on the day it snows?
(a) Hannukah Hill.
(b) Mardi Gras Mountain.
(c) Valentine's HIll.
(d) Christmas Mountain.
5. What does Palmer feed the pigeon?
(a) Special K.
(c) Bird food.
(d) Bread crumbs.
6. How does Palmer describe the weeks following his birthday?
(a) A time like any other.
(b) A barrel of laughs with the gang.
(c) A parade and Palmer is the grand marshall.
(d) A lonely and anxious time.
7. What is Beans' real name?
(a) Arthur LaRue.
(b) Arthur Palmer.
(c) Arthur Jenkins.
(d) Arthur Dodds.
8. When Palmer asks his mother why the boy wrung the pigeon's neck, what does she say?
(a) "To put the pigeon out of its misery."
(b) "To make the boy feel proud."
(c) "To help the pigeon go to heaven."
(d) "To let everyone know the pigeon shoot had started."
9. What does Palmer believe he will receive from lasting out his time with Farquar?
(a) Respect from Dorothy.
(b) The honor and respect of the other kids.
(c) A new bike.
(d) A birthday party at school.
10. What story do people tell about Arthur at the pigeon shoot one summer before he is a wringer?
(a) He gathered up all of the dead pigeons in a bag.
(b) He hid behind his father, afraid of the falling pigeon feathers.
(c) He became frightened and could not wring a pigeon's neck.
(d) He wrung a pigeon's neck in the middle of a family picnic.
11. What do the boys see after pulling their prank at Dorothy's house?
(a) A cat with a mouse in its mouth.
(b) A pigeon flying in the sky.
(c) A jet airplane in the sky.
(d) A hawk flying overhead.
12. Who does Palmer find in his room when he comes home from Beans's party?
(c) His mother.
13. How does Palmer describe the feeling he has when he is with Dorothy?
(a) It is like floating.
(b) It is like romance.
(c) It is like being in love.
(d) It is like going home.
14. Why does Beans continue to treestump and tease Dorothy?
(a) He wants to make her quit school.
(b) He wants to get a reaction from her.
(c) He has a crush on her.
(d) He wants his mother to punish him.
15. What new experience does Palmer have when falling asleep after talking to his mother?
(a) He does not fall asleep, worried that his pigeon will peck on him.
(b) He does not sleep alone, his pigeon is sleeping in his room.
(c) He falls asleep and has nightmares about snow.
(d) He falls asleep and dreams about pigeons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special food does Palmer get for his pigeon?
2. What does Palmer give Beans for his birthday?
3. What does the pigeon do when Palmer opens the window the second evening?
4. How does Palmer feel running with the boys?
5. Why does the town sponsor a pigeon shoot?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)