|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote up the commendation for Tyson's Silver Star?
2. What is the name of Tyson's former secretary who is present at the trial to show her support for Tyson?
3. What does the trial's first witness admit under oath regarding Tyson's mental state in Vietnam?
4. As Tyson and his platoon left the hospital after the massacre, where did Tyson tell his questioner that the platoon was headed to?
5. At the time of the court martial, what field does Louis Kalane work in?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Sproule explains the trial's purpose, what does Sproule warn the prosecution against?
2. As the court martial approaches, what does Corva remind Tyson will happen if Tyson is ordered to tell the truth?
3. As Corva and Tyson leave the conference room to head into the hearing, Corva tells Tyson that the witnesses seem like good men. What is Tyson's response?
4. Tyson and Corva have the option of eliminating one member from the panel that serves as the jury for the court martial. What do Tyson and Corva base their elimination decision on?
5. According to Corva, why is there no way to prove if Tyson filed a report regarding the incident at the hospital?
6. Describe the appearance of Richard Farley at the court martial trial.
7. According to Sproule, what is the purpose of the trial?
8. After escorting a man from the courtroom with the excuse that he might be called as a witness, what does Corva reveal to be his true intentions for removing the man?
9. As Tyson and Corva share a drink, Corva tells Tyson that he thinks Tyson is guilty. What does Corva not want Tyson to have to do?
10. When Corva asks Tyson to explain about Larry Cane's death, what does Tyson tell Corva?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the political arguments regarding the ability to prosecute Tyson for the actions of the men under his command. Be sure to include in your discussion the issues surrounding the charges that were ultimately filed along with the charges that the government considered filing against Tyson. What affect did offering Tyson's platoon members immunity have on the court martial's outcome? Be sure to include whether or not you agree with the government's decision to file and prosecute Ben Tyson for the hospital massacre in Hue.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Steven Brandt and Richard Farley.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the reasons each man had for breaking the code of silence and sharing their stories with Andrew Picard. What did each man have to gain? To lose?
c. How does the decision to come forward affect each character - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
DeMille uses this story to examine the role that truth plays in our personal and national history, as well as in our daily lives. Examine the author's beliefs through his storytelling. Why would the author choose this story to overlay his demonstration of the consequences realized when the truth is distorted or hidden? What did you learn from the author's discussion on truth? What other avenues, if any, could the author have used to express his beliefs? Would those avenues have been as effective as the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)