|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people is NOT part of the JAG team?
2. When Tyson and Corva arrive for the court martial hearing, Corva sends Tyson into their conference room alone. How many men are waiting in the room for Tyson?
3. What does Corva caution Tyson about being careful that his family does NOT show to the public?
4. In the hospital in Hue, who shot the woman who was carrying an infant?
5. When Tyson and Corva arrive for the court martial hearing, Corva sends Tyson into their conference room alone. What reason do the men NOT give for pledging their loyalty to Tyson?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Corva pleased that the panel takes more than a few hours to return their verdict?
2. As the court martial approaches, what does Corva remind Tyson will happen if Tyson is ordered to tell the truth?
3. When the court martial gets underway, Corva makes an announcement that draws criticism. Why was Corva criticized for his announcement?
4. Tyson and Corva have the option of eliminating one member from the panel that serves as the jury for the court martial. What do Tyson and Corva base their elimination decision on?
5. As Corva and Tyson leave the conference room to head into the hearing, Corva tells Tyson that the witnesses seem like good men. What is Tyson's response?
6. What is the major difference between a Grand Jury and the initial phase of the court martial?
7. Summarize the closing arguments of both Pierce and Corva.
8. As Tyson and Corva share a drink, what does Tyson realize about other people who had served and returned from Vietnam?
9. When the court martial gets underway, Corva makes an announcement that draws criticism. How does Corva respond to the criticism?
10. On the third day of the trial, what does Tyson insist that Corva do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is no doubt that Ben Tyson is greatly affected by the events that he was part of in Hue, Vietnam. Discuss how the hospital massacre and the events leading up to it affects not only Tyson's worldview, but his determination to stand trial for his actions and let the truth be heard. How do Tyson's experiences in Vietnam affect his mental state, his ability to reason, and his ability to continue on?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the political arguments regarding the ability to prosecute Tyson for the actions of the men under his command. Be sure to include in your discussion the issues surrounding the charges that were ultimately filed along with the charges that the government considered filing against Tyson. What affect did offering Tyson's platoon members immunity have on the court martial's outcome? Be sure to include whether or not you agree with the government's decision to file and prosecute Ben Tyson for the hospital massacre in Hue.
Essay Topic 3
Marcy Tyson has been by Ben's side throughout this entire crisis. Yet, as the court martial approaches, Marcy announces that she is going back to work and has a business trip scheduled for the date of the court martial. Why does Marcy want to go back to work? What makes this decision different from Ben's point of view? Do you agree with Marcy's decision? Why or why not?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)