|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the hospital in Hue, who eventually pistol whipped Tyson in an effort to remove him from a dangerous situation, and ultimately saved Tyson's life?
2. According to the trial's first witness, where was Tyson present in the hospital?
3. When the first witness is called at the trial, what does Corva have to decide?
4. At the time of the court martial, what field does Louis Kalane work in?
5. When Marcy announces that she is going back to work, how close is the court martial?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Tyson and Corva share a drink, what does Tyson realize about other people who had served and returned from Vietnam?
2. When Corva cross-examines Brandt, Corva seems to jump randomly from point to point. What was Corva's purpose in this seeming randomness?
3. As Sproule explains the trial's purpose, what does Sproule warn the prosecution against?
4. As Tyson and Corva share a drink, Corva tells Tyson that he thinks Tyson is guilty. What does Corva not want Tyson to have to do?
5. As Tyson and his platoon left the hospital after the massacre, what did Tyson hope no one would be able to tell?
6. What is the major difference between a Grand Jury and the initial phase of the court martial?
7. When Corva asks Tyson to explain about Larry Cane's death, what does Tyson tell Corva?
8. What does Picard believe that Brandt lied to him about?
9. When Harper tells Tyson that several of his old platoon members have "finally" been located, what does Tyson believe?
10. When Steven Brandt is on the stand, what does Brandt say was his impression of Tyson while the platoon was in the operating room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Steven Brandt seems to be a man who is supremely confident in his ability to come out on top. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Brandt helped by his utter confidence? How is Brandt hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
Identify three of the people that are on the side of the prosecution against Ben Tyson for the mass murders in Hue. Then, compare and contrast the backgrounds, experiences, and opinions of these three prosecution members. Was each member of the group necessary in order for the prosecution to build its case against Tyson? Why or why not? Was any member of the group expendable? Why or why not? What might have been different if these group members were not involved with the case? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
The book is entitled, "Word of Honor". Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Ben Tyson to set things right?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)