|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As part of the testimony given, who characterizes Tyson as a good leader and denies having any animosity for Tyson?
2. When Tyson and Corva arrive for the court martial hearing, Corva sends Tyson into their conference room alone. How many men are waiting in the room for Tyson?
3. Who is the first person to take the stand during the initial hearing?
4. When Corva returns to the conference room, which witness proposes a toast to the dead, but admits that he can't remember the names of the dead?
5. Who does the person offering to pay for the hit on Brandt ask to arrange the hit?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the third day of the trial, what does Tyson insist that Corva do?
2. What is the major difference between a Grand Jury and the initial phase of the court martial?
3. As the court martial approaches, what does Corva remind Tyson will happen if Tyson is ordered to tell the truth?
4. When Corva asks Tyson to explain about Larry Cane's death, what does Tyson tell Corva?
5. When Corva cross-examines Brandt, Corva seems to jump randomly from point to point. What was Corva's purpose in this seeming randomness?
6. After escorting a man from the courtroom with the excuse that he might be called as a witness, what does Corva reveal to be his true intentions for removing the man?
7. As Corva and Tyson leave the conference room to head into the hearing, Corva tells Tyson that the witnesses seem like good men. What is Tyson's response?
8. Why is Corva pleased that the panel takes more than a few hours to return their verdict?
9. What is one of Ben's main objections to Marcy's plans to return to work?
10. According to Corva, why is there no way to prove if Tyson filed a report regarding the incident at the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of the novel, Ben Tyson is involved with two quite different women. Compare and contrast the relationship Ben has with Marcy to the not-completely-professional relationship Ben has with Karen. Then, compare and contrast these two women. How do these two relationships influence not only Ben, but also the other people working on both sides of the court martial case?
Essay Topic 2
Marcy Tyson has been by Ben's side throughout this entire crisis. Yet, as the court martial approaches, Marcy announces that she is going back to work and has a business trip scheduled for the date of the court martial. Why does Marcy want to go back to work? What makes this decision different from Ben's point of view? Do you agree with Marcy's decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Steven Brandt and Richard Farley.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the reasons each man had for breaking the code of silence and sharing their stories with Andrew Picard. What did each man have to gain? To lose?
c. How does the decision to come forward affect each character - both positively and negatively?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)