|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who quietly suggests that Tyson should leave the country?
2. What type of building did Tyson's platoon attack, according to the book?
3. What is Tyson doing when Major Harper shows up on the military base?
4. According to the restrictions placed upon Tyson when he reaches the base, how far from the base is he allowed to travel?
5. Who attends the meeting regarding the jurisdiction of Tyson's case from the Secretary of the Army's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to what Picard tells Ben Tyson, why does Picard confide that he probably should not have used the chapter about the hospital massacre?
2. When Tyson and Marcy go to the officer's club to have dinner, why is Tyson rude to the person he introduces to Marcy?
3. Why does Tyson object to the radius in which Tyson's travel is restricted to while he lives on the military base?
4. As Ben Tyson sees the book detailing the activities of his platoon in Vietnam, what does Tyson suddenly realize?
5. Why does Tyson excuse himself from the officer's club while he is dining with Marcy to meet a man outside?
6. As Tyson and his military attorney talk, describe the military attorney's attitude regarding war stories.
7. According to the book about the events in Vietnam, why was an Australian killed?
8. According to Tyson, it was standard practice in Vietnam that an officer had some enemy weapons to turn in with bodies of innocent civilians killed. Why?
9. According to what Tyson confides to Levin during their meeting, how did Tyson come to feel during his time in Vietnam?
10. List the three qualifications held by the person selected to lead the Tyson investigation for the government.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Ben Tyson's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself, his family, and his platoon, and he refuses to divulge information regarding the hospital massacre because of that loyalty. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Marcy Tyson, Andrew Picard, Richard Farley, and Vincent Corva. Support your observations.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of the novel, Ben Tyson is involved with two quite different women. Compare and contrast the relationship Ben has with Marcy to the not-completely-professional relationship Ben has with Karen. Then, compare and contrast these two women. How do these two relationships influence not only Ben, but also the other people working on both sides of the court martial case?
Essay Topic 3
Steven Brandt seems to be a man who is supremely confident in his ability to come out on top. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Brandt helped by his utter confidence? How is Brandt hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)