|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the book detailing the activities of Tyson's platoon in Vietnam?
2. When Tyson left Sister Teresa at the end of their second meeting, what did Tyson agree to do for the next day's children's party?
3. On the military base, who is Tyson's immediate supervisor?
4. What was An Ninh Ha?
5. What is the name of the man who quietly suggests that Tyson should leave the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ben Tyson afraid of following the advice given to him by his attorney just after Tyson learns of the book's existence?
2. Why was Tyson not reassigned in Vietnam like he was supposed to be?
3. According to what Tyson confides to Levin during their meeting, how did Tyson come to feel during his time in Vietnam?
4. According to what Picard tells Ben Tyson, why does Picard confide that he probably should not have used the chapter about the hospital massacre?
5. When Tyson's platoon was pinned down by enemy fire, what did Tyson realize would offer his platoon a chance to escape?
6. After hearing the charges against him, what fact does Tyson point out that makes him feel that charges should never have been filed?
7. Ben and Marcy meet with Levin after Levin has read Harper's official report. Based on that report, what does Levin share with Ben and Marcy?
8. List the three qualifications held by the person selected to lead the Tyson investigation for the government.
9. How does the Lieutenant Colonel try to comfort Tyson when Tyson objects to the travel restriction?
10. When Tyson and his wife attend a party, what new feeling does Tyson experience at the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Vincent Corva, Karen Harper, Marcy Tyson, Steven Brandt, and Andrew Picard.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the political arguments regarding the ability to prosecute Tyson for the actions of the men under his command. Be sure to include in your discussion the issues surrounding the charges that were ultimately filed along with the charges that the government considered filing against Tyson. What affect did offering Tyson's platoon members immunity have on the court martial's outcome? Be sure to include whether or not you agree with the government's decision to file and prosecute Ben Tyson for the hospital massacre in Hue.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Steven Brandt and Richard Farley.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the reasons each man had for breaking the code of silence and sharing their stories with Andrew Picard. What did each man have to gain? To lose?
c. How does the decision to come forward affect each character - both positively and negatively?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)