|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ben Tyson when he sees a book detailing the activities of his platoon in Vietnam?
2. Where do Tyson's employers tell him that they would like to have him work?
3. After Tyson leaves the cottage and returns to work in the city, Marcy calls Ben. What does Ben tell Marcy?
4. After hearing the new restrictions placed upon Tyson as a result of the charges being filed, what does Tyson do after leaving Levin's office?
5. What is the name of the witness from Tyson's platoon who turns up dead after the investigation begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much money does Tyson's military attorney agree to represent Tyson for?
2. When Tyson and Marcy go to the officer's club to have dinner, why is Tyson rude to the person he introduces to Marcy?
3. As Tyson and his military attorney talk, what "true" battle story does Tyson share with his attorney?
4. Why was Tyson not reassigned in Vietnam like he was supposed to be?
5. Describe the situation that Picard shares with Ben Tyson as an example of one of Picard's "bad light" experiences.
6. When Tyson meets with his attorney after learning of the book's existence, what does Tyson's attorney advise Tyson to do?
7. Ben and Marcy meet with Levin after Levin has read Harper's official report. Based on that report, what does Levin share with Ben and Marcy?
8. When Tyson and his wife attend a party, what new feeling does Tyson experience at the party?
9. After hearing the charges against him, what fact does Tyson point out that makes him feel that charges should never have been filed?
10. Why does Tyson object to the radius in which Tyson's travel is restricted to while he lives on the military base?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Andrew Picard character at the beginning of the book when his book is first published. What is Picard's motivation for publishing the book? What drives him? Then, discuss this same character when he meets and gets to know Ben Tyson, the subject of the most controversial chapter of Picard's book. What is Picard's motivation then? What is driving him? How do the events in the story change Picard's character? Who is Andrew Picard at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in this novel involves honor.
a. Identify three characters that are honorable in their actions. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted honorably.
b. Why do these characters try to do the honorable thing?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not taken the honorable route? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Marcy Tyson has been by Ben's side throughout this entire crisis. Yet, as the court martial approaches, Marcy announces that she is going back to work and has a business trip scheduled for the date of the court martial. Why does Marcy want to go back to work? What makes this decision different from Ben's point of view? Do you agree with Marcy's decision? Why or why not?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)