|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Auntie Yee when she was given to the silk work?
2. What does Pei say about Lin in Chapter 6?
(a) Lin is too talkative.
(b) Pei has only known her for a year.
(c) Without Lin, she would be lost.
(d) Lin does not make as much money as Pei does.
3. Where did Lin go before the hairdressing ceremony?
(a) On an errand for Auntie Yee.
(b) To work at the silk factory.
(c) To the library.
(d) To see her mother.
4. What does Hong clutch under his arm in Chapter 7?
(b) Lunch bag.
5. What does Yu-sung give her daughter Li before her marriage?
(a) Handkerchief wrapped in milky-white paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sets of clothes did Pei have growing up?
2. What color uniforms do the Chinese soldiers wear at the docks in Canton?
3. What happened with the year's harvest when Pei was young?
4. What does Moi serve to Mei-li's parents?
5. Who did Auntie Yee marry when she was twelve?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pei react when her father leaves her at Auntie Yee's house?
2. What is a hairdressing ceremony?
3. What does Mei-li do when Hong tells her he doesn't love her?
4. Does Chen Ling have a following of girls at the boarding house?
5. Describe Pei's experience on the boat to Canton with Lin.
6. Describe Pei's journey with her father.
7. How is Mei-li's body discovered?
8. What does Pei think about the sampans crossing the river as she rests with her father on the riverbank?
9. What is Pei's reaction to the silk factory?
10. How does Yu-sung describe Pao's home after she is married?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)