|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Hong give Mei-li about why he wants to stop seeing her?
(a) She is too young.
(b) His parents don't like her.
(c) He has another girlfriend.
(d) He has to concentrate on his exams.
2. Who stays at Auntie Yee's boarding house?
(a) Fortune tellers.
(b) Wayward boys.
(c) Restaurant workers.
(d) Silk girls.
3. How old was Yu-sung when she married?
4. What kind of feeling does Pei have when she sees Lin's family home for the first time?
5. How does Pei describe Auntie Yee's scent in Chapter 2?
(a) Soap and ammonia.
(d) Spicy apple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pei say about Lin in Chapter 6?
2. What color uniforms do the Chinese soldiers wear at the docks in Canton?
3. What is the funny smell Pei notices when she and Lin approach the sedan carriers in Canton?
4. Who makes Auntie Yee proud?
5. Where did Lin go before the hairdressing ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sui Ying?
2. Describe Pei's experience on the boat to Canton with Lin.
3. How is Mei-li's body discovered?
4. How does Auntie Yee become a worker for the silk factory?
5. How does Pei know it is the right decision for her to join the sisterhood with Lin?
6. What is the relationship between Moi and Auntie Yee?
7. How does Pei feel she is treated differently after her hairdressing ceremony?
8. Why is Auntie Yee worrying about Mei-li?
9. What is a hairdressing ceremony?
10. Why does Pao decide to send Pei to work in the silk trade?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)