|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the hairstyle that Auntie Yee puts Chen Ling's hair in for the hairdressing ceremony?
(b) Leaves it loose and flowing.
(d) Pulls it back with barrettes.
2. Who did Pao consult for advice about his children?
(b) Fortune teller.
3. Why were the girls given a day off from the silk factory at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Chung was feeling generous.
(b) It is their yearly day off.
(c) The machines are broken.
(d) They are waiting for a new shipment of cocoons.
4. What is the ballad of Kuan Yin?
(a) Chinese history.
(b) A story about a waterfall.
(c) Literature about making silk.
(d) Story about the goddess of mercy.
5. What color uniforms do the Chinese soldiers wear at the docks in Canton?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the sisters' house once belong to?
2. Who is Chen Ling's best friend?
3. Whose family is from Fukien?
4. Who is Chung?
5. Where are Ming and Chen Ling moving to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Chen Ling have a following of girls at the boarding house?
2. Describe Pei's experience on the boat to Canton with Lin.
3. What is the only beautiful object in Pei's childhood home?
4. How do the monsoon rains affect the silk girls?
5. What is the relationship between Moi and Auntie Yee?
6. What does Pei learn about from Sui Ying?
7. How is Mei-li's body discovered?
8. What was Kung Ma's marriage like?
9. Why does Yu-sung feel she has lost all her children?
10. Why is Auntie Yee worrying about Mei-li?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)