|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Auntie Yee marry when she was twelve?
(c) Silk factory manager.
2. What was Yu-sung accustomed to in her childhood home?
(c) Cleanliness and a few high-quality items.
(d) Lack of money.
3. In Chapter 9, who is said to bathe infrequently, drink expensive liquor, and eat large slabs of bloody beef?
(a) Yung Kee's wealthy families.
(b) The white devils.
(d) Cantonese men.
4. Where does Su-lung live?
(a) At the boarding house with Pei.
(c) A boarding house across town.
(d) At home with her family.
5. What color uniforms do the Chinese soldiers wear at the docks in Canton?
Short Answer Questions
1. What injures Ming in Chapter 4?
2. What is the name that Pei calls her father?
3. What does Hong clutch under his arm in Chapter 7?
4. What was Pei's favorite food when she was young that she ate on special occasions?
5. What does Chen Ling call Auntie Yee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a hairdressing ceremony?
2. What does Mei-li share with Pei after she comes home late one night?
3. What does Auntie Yee remember about Chan?
4. Describe the hairdressing ceremony.
5. Why does Yu-sung feel she has lost all her children?
6. What is the relationship between Moi and Auntie Yee?
7. How does Auntie Yee become a worker for the silk factory?
8. Describe Lin's mother.
9. Why does Mei-li feel comforted by the Pearl River?
10. How does Pei react when her father leaves her at Auntie Yee's house?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)