|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Moon Orchid think Brave Orchid's children are vain?
2. What do the villagers admire Maxine's mother for when she first returns from medical school?
3. How does Moon Orchid interact with the narrator?
4. For what profession does Brave Orchid tell the dealer she will train the slave girl?
5. What age does the document say Maxine's mother is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in Chinese culture is a strong theme in the novel. Choose two of the following options to respond to.
1) What are some of the narrator's major concerns about how women are treated in Chinese culture? Describe at least three.
2) According to the narrator, is the role of a Chinese woman in America the same or different from the role of a Chinese woman in China? Explain why or why not.
3) Do you think the narrator is a traditional woman with respect to the Chinese culture? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrator's relationship with the quiet girl at school, particularly their interactions. Why do you think the narrator picks on the quiet girl? What do the narrator's actions reveal about her upbringing and her opinions about herself?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of women in power often comes into conflict with the Chinese ideals of women's roles in society in the novel.
Part 1) Why do you think stories such as the one told in "White Tigers" teach girls to become heroines even though it is not socially acceptable?
Part 2) Describe at least two examples from the novel where a woman is in power. Contrast these examples with at least two examples from the novel where a woman's power is being suppressed.
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)