|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Maxine get while at her parent's house?
2. What does Maxine's mother bring to the haunted room at the school at night?
3. For how many years does Maxine's mother not reach her husband?
4. What subjects did all of Brave Orchid's children major in?
5. What gift does Moon Orchid bring for Brave Orchid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a small portion of the story that displays a conflict the narrator has with her mother. Rewrite the conflict, this time telling the story from the narrator's mother's perspective. When you have finished rewriting the story, write a paragraph explaining how and why the narrator's mother's point of view on the issue at hand differs from the narrator's point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Several times throughout the novel, the narrator feels that she is not valued as much as a child born in China. How do these instances affect the narrator's self worth? Describe at least one of these instances, explain the narrator's reaction to it and how it affects her personality using examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
A significant portion of this novel deals with storytelling and ghost stories, many of which are told by the narrator's mother. Choose and answer two of the following questions.
1) Do you think the narrator's mother's stories are mostly true? Explain why or why not using specific examples.
2) Why does the narrator's mother tell these stories? Do you think she achieves her purpose in telling them?
3) Which of these stories is your favorite? Explain why or why not. The story you choose must be one the narrator's mother tells, and must not be one you use to answer the other question you choose.
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)