|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Maxine's mother live while she attends medical school?
2. In what city does Brave Orchid wait for Moon Orchid to arrive from China?
3. What substance is on the piece of wood the girls find under the bed?
4. What does Maxine's mother do after unpacking at medical school?
5. How do Brave Orchid and Moon Orchid get Moon Orchid's husband to come outside of his building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in Chinese culture is a strong theme in the novel. Choose two of the following options to respond to.
1) What are some of the narrator's major concerns about how women are treated in Chinese culture? Describe at least three.
2) According to the narrator, is the role of a Chinese woman in America the same or different from the role of a Chinese woman in China? Explain why or why not.
3) Do you think the narrator is a traditional woman with respect to the Chinese culture? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Moon Orchid's character plays a significant role in the novel, specifically in the section "At the Western Palace." Answer the following questions about her character and role in the story.
Part 1) Do you think Moon Orchid is happier in America than she was in China? Explain why or why not.
Part 2) Why do you think the narrator includes Moon Orchid's story in the novel?
Part 3) What type of impact do you think Moon Orchid's story had on the narrator? What might the narrator have learned from watching her aunt?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a small portion of the story that displays a conflict the narrator has with her mother. Rewrite the conflict, this time telling the story from the narrator's mother's perspective. When you have finished rewriting the story, write a paragraph explaining how and why the narrator's mother's point of view on the issue at hand differs from the narrator's point of view.
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)