|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Moon Orchid die?
2. According to Maxine's mother, what flies out of the mail when she opens it?
3. Where does Moon Orchid live after she sees her husband again?
4. What does Maxine's mother do after unpacking at medical school?
5. How do Brave Orchid and Moon Orchid get Moon Orchid's husband to come outside of his building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in Chinese culture is a strong theme in the novel. Choose two of the following options to respond to.
1) What are some of the narrator's major concerns about how women are treated in Chinese culture? Describe at least three.
2) According to the narrator, is the role of a Chinese woman in America the same or different from the role of a Chinese woman in China? Explain why or why not.
3) Do you think the narrator is a traditional woman with respect to the Chinese culture? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
In "Shaman," the narrator says, "Before we can leave our parents, they stuff our heads like the suitcases which they jam-pack with homemade underwear."
Part 1) Explain the context of this quote. What is the narrator responding to when she makes this comment?
Part 2) Explain the meaning of this quote. What is the narrator trying to say?
Part 3) How does this quote relate to the narrator's life as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Beyond the title of the novel, the concept of a women warrior is repeated throughout the book.
Part 1) Explain the literal meaning behind the term "woman warrior" and where you are first introduced to it in the novel.
Part 2) Describe at least three examples in which the narrator may be viewed as a woman warrior.
Part 3) Explain the figurative meaning behind the term "woman warrior" and how it may be interpreted to reflect a woman in the narrator's setting.
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)