|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kuan Kung?
2. What does legend say happens to the women with bound feet?
3. Who does the narrator's mother say Maxine can tell about her aunt?
4. What does Maxine question about her mother's stories?
5. Why does Maxine feel she is punishing her aunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "White Tigers," for what purpose do the woman and her husband have a one-month ceremony?
2. What bothers the narrator the most about the mentally retarded man who comes and sits in the laundry?
3. When she is about to stay overnight in the haunted room at school, what does the narrator's mother tell the other girls at medical school to do if they find her very afraid in the morning?
4. How does Moon Orchid die?
5. How does the title of the section, "Shaman," relate to the stories told in the section?
6. When does the narrator throw temper tantrums?
7. How does the narrator feel about Brave Orchid's relationship with the slave girl?
8. According to Moon Orchid, which of Brave Orchid's children are happy?
9. Explain how the girl in the white tigers fantasy story meets the old couple who train her.
10. Why doesn't the narrator visit her parents often?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "White Tigers" the narrator explains a story about a girl who trains to become a woman warrior.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the narrator and the protagonist of the story.
Part 2) Do you think the narrator admires or despises the protagonist of the story? Explain your answer using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrator's relationship with the quiet girl at school, particularly their interactions. Why do you think the narrator picks on the quiet girl? What do the narrator's actions reveal about her upbringing and her opinions about herself?
Essay Topic 3
In "Shaman," the narrator says, "Before we can leave our parents, they stuff our heads like the suitcases which they jam-pack with homemade underwear."
Part 1) Explain the context of this quote. What is the narrator responding to when she makes this comment?
Part 2) Explain the meaning of this quote. What is the narrator trying to say?
Part 3) How does this quote relate to the narrator's life as a whole?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)