|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Maxine fired from her job at the land developer's association?
2. In what decade did Maxine's father leave China?
3. Why does Maxine add a word to boys' names?
4. According to Chinese custom, where would Maxine's mother and aunt have lived after their husbands left?
5. Why does Maxine re-tell her aunts story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events leading up to the narrator's mother's decision to become a doctor.
2. What is one secret the narrator learns when she reads her sixth grade school file?
3. Describe a common practice the narrator mentions that is used to kill baby girls after birth in China.
4. What is one thing Moon Orchid notices about Brave Orchid's home that she thinks is strange? Explain why she thinks it is strange.
5. How does the narrator feel when she understands that her family will not return to China? Why does she feel this way?
6. As an adult, why does the narrator refuse to cook, clean, or wash dishes?
7. According to Moon Orchid, which of Brave Orchid's children are happy?
8. Does the narrator's aunt haunt the narrator in this first section of the novel?
9. Why might the narrator's mother call the narrator her biggest daughter instead of her oldest daughter?
10. Describe the narrator's relationship with other students in her elementary school.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beyond the title of the novel, the concept of a women warrior is repeated throughout the book.
Part 1) Explain the literal meaning behind the term "woman warrior" and where you are first introduced to it in the novel.
Part 2) Describe at least three examples in which the narrator may be viewed as a woman warrior.
Part 3) Explain the figurative meaning behind the term "woman warrior" and how it may be interpreted to reflect a woman in the narrator's setting.
Essay Topic 2
In "Shaman," the narrator says, "Before we can leave our parents, they stuff our heads like the suitcases which they jam-pack with homemade underwear."
Part 1) Explain the context of this quote. What is the narrator responding to when she makes this comment?
Part 2) Explain the meaning of this quote. What is the narrator trying to say?
Part 3) How does this quote relate to the narrator's life as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
In "White Tigers" the narrator explains a story about a girl who trains to become a woman warrior.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the narrator and the protagonist of the story.
Part 2) Do you think the narrator admires or despises the protagonist of the story? Explain your answer using examples from the text.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)