|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the girl in Maxine's story follow at the beginning of the story?
2. At what age is the girl taken to the mountains of the white tigers?
3. Where does Maxine attend college in the sixties?
4. When Maxine re-tells the story of her aunt, the narrator's story shows that the aunt's final actions are done out of _____.
5. Why do the villagers curse Maxine's aunt's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Moon Orchid, which of Brave Orchid's children are happy?
2. What bothers the narrator the most about the mentally retarded man who comes and sits in the laundry?
3. How the narrator feels about the quiet girl at school?
4. What happens when the woman warrior's army reaches Peiping?
5. In "White Tigers," who does the woman feel is riding with her while she is with her army?
6. According to the narrator, does the narrator's aunt ever say who impregnated her?
7. What are three of the gifts Moon Orchid brings her family from China?
8. What are at least two of the most difficult things on the narrator's list that she tells her mother?
9. What are some things Moon Orchid has trouble adjusting to in America? Name at least three things.
10. How did the narrator once believe she could tell the difference between sane and insane people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the battles the narrator feels she must take on as a woman warrior? Describe at least three, and explain how these goals impact the narrator's life.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the narrator comes into conflict with many different characters. Choose two of these conflicts and describe them in detail, answering the following questions:
1) With whom does the narrator have the conflict?
2) What is the conflict about?
3) How is the conflict resolved?
4) What does the narrator learn from the conflict/how does it relate to her story as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Several times throughout the novel, the narrator feels that she is not valued as much as a child born in China. How do these instances affect the narrator's self worth? Describe at least one of these instances, explain the narrator's reaction to it and how it affects her personality using examples from the novel.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)