|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing the girl has to learn to do?
2. In No Name Woman, which character dies?
3. What does Maxine question about her mother's stories?
4. In No Name Woman, who is telling the story?
5. Who does the girl see as her future husband in the water gourd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bothers the narrator the most about the mentally retarded man who comes and sits in the laundry?
2. When does the narrator throw temper tantrums?
3. How did the women at medical school change the rituals the narrator's mother describes?
4. What is one thing Moon Orchid notices about Brave Orchid's home that she thinks is strange? Explain why she thinks it is strange.
5. What are three of the gifts Moon Orchid brings her family from China?
6. In "White Tigers," for what purpose do the woman and her husband have a one-month ceremony?
7. Why might the narrator's mother call the narrator her biggest daughter instead of her oldest daughter?
8. In "White Tigers," who does the woman feel is riding with her while she is with her army?
9. According to Moon Orchid, which of Brave Orchid's children are happy?
10. In "White Tigers," explain how the girl knows time is passing in her visions.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A significant portion of this novel deals with storytelling and ghost stories, many of which are told by the narrator's mother. Choose and answer two of the following questions.
1) Do you think the narrator's mother's stories are mostly true? Explain why or why not using specific examples.
2) Why does the narrator's mother tell these stories? Do you think she achieves her purpose in telling them?
3) Which of these stories is your favorite? Explain why or why not. The story you choose must be one the narrator's mother tells, and must not be one you use to answer the other question you choose.
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in Chinese culture is a strong theme in the novel. Choose two of the following options to respond to.
1) What are some of the narrator's major concerns about how women are treated in Chinese culture? Describe at least three.
2) According to the narrator, is the role of a Chinese woman in America the same or different from the role of a Chinese woman in China? Explain why or why not.
3) Do you think the narrator is a traditional woman with respect to the Chinese culture? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
This novel has several autobiographical elements, but we never learn if the narrator and the author are the same person.
Part 1) After learning about autobiographies in class, do you view this novel as an autobiography? Explain why or why not using at least three examples from the text to support your position.
Part 2) Do you think the author and the narrator are the same? Explain why or why not.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)