|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While with her army, what does the woman do at night?
2. Where does Maxine's aunt deliver her baby?
3. What happens to Maxine's aunt the night her baby is due?
4. What substance is the girl shown that could allow her to live forever?
5. Which of these Chinese customs does Maxine comment on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the narrator's mother did not mind girls cheating off of her in school?
2. Why do you think the author emphasized that all of Brave Orchid's children majored in science and math?
3. How does the narrator feel about Brave Orchid's relationship with the slave girl?
4. What did the narrator's term "FOBs" stand for?
5. Why might the narrator's mother call the narrator her biggest daughter instead of her oldest daughter?
6. According to Moon Orchid, which of Brave Orchid's children are happy?
7. How do Moon Orchid and Brave Orchid act when they are reunited for the first time in years?
8. Describe one possibility the narrator considers to explain how her aunt may have become pregnant.
9. In "White Tigers," who does the woman feel is riding with her while she is with her army?
10. What are some things Moon Orchid has trouble adjusting to in America? Name at least three things.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the narrator had trouble speaking in school? Why do you think she was able to overcome this difficulty later in life? How does the end of the novel relate to the difficulties she had speaking as a child?
Essay Topic 2
Moon Orchid's character plays a significant role in the novel, specifically in the section "At the Western Palace." Answer the following questions about her character and role in the story.
Part 1) Do you think Moon Orchid is happier in America than she was in China? Explain why or why not.
Part 2) Why do you think the narrator includes Moon Orchid's story in the novel?
Part 3) What type of impact do you think Moon Orchid's story had on the narrator? What might the narrator have learned from watching her aunt?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the narrator comes into conflict with many different characters. Choose two of these conflicts and describe them in detail, answering the following questions:
1) With whom does the narrator have the conflict?
2) What is the conflict about?
3) How is the conflict resolved?
4) What does the narrator learn from the conflict/how does it relate to her story as a whole?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)