|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did a medium once tell Maxine?
(a) That the narrator would never marry.
(b) That the narrator would live a long life.
(c) That the narrator could be a medium.
(d) That the narrator would be troubled by ghosts.
2. Why does Maxine feel her aunt's ghost is suffering?
(a) She must fight for food.
(b) She has unfinished business.
(c) She is loved by others.
(d) She must haunt the villagers.
3. Who tells Maxine the story of her aunt?
(a) The narrator's mother.
(b) The narrator's sister.
(c) The narrator's grandmother.
(d) The narrator's father.
4. What does the old couple give the girl, now a young woman, as a parting gift?
(a) Two rabbit ears.
(b) A magic sword.
(c) Fifteen beads.
(d) A water gourd.
5. How often does Maxine's mother tell stories?
(b) Once a year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main reason Maxine's mother likes to tell stores?
2. In No Name Woman, which character dies?
3. Which of these ideas is not introduced in "No Name Woman"?
4. For how long does the girl agree to stay with the people she meets?
5. What is the other meaning of the Chinese word for female?
Short Essay Questions
1. As an adult, why does the narrator refuse to cook, clean, or wash dishes?
2. What are two of the three Chinese customs the narrator comments on after pondering how her aunt became pregnant?
3. Describe the narrator's relationship with other students in her elementary school.
4. Why might the narrator's mother call the narrator her biggest daughter instead of her oldest daughter?
5. How the narrator feels about the quiet girl at school?
6. In "White Tigers," for what purpose do the woman and her husband have a one-month ceremony?
7. What is narrator's impression of her mother when looking at the old medical school photograph?
8. What do Brave Orchid's daughters learn from watching what happens between Moon Orchid and her husband?
9. What are some of the "battles" the narrator feels she must face as a woman warrior in modern society? Name at least two.
10. According to Moon Orchid, which of Brave Orchid's children are happy?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)