|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years has it been since Maxine's mother told the narrator the story of her aunt?
2. Why does Maxine feel she is punishing her aunt?
(a) She went against her mother's wishes.
(b) She did not like her.
(c) She cannot speak of her.
(d) She never met her.
3. Which of these is a possibility Maxine considers to explain her aunt's pregnancy?
(a) Her aunt was unusually beloved by her family for being a girl.
(b) Her aunt carried the baby for her sister.
(c) Her aunt was not human.
(d) Her aunt talked loudly and was punished by the gods.
4. When did Maxine's aunt's supposed betrayal happen?
(a) During a drought.
(b) During ghost plagues.
(c) All of the above.
(d) During a war with the Japanese.
5. What substance is the girl shown that could allow her to live forever?
(b) Water from a gourd.
(c) Tree sap.
(d) White tiger hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Maxine's father leaves China, who goes with him?
2. What does the enemy's leader, a prince, steal from the woman?
3. How often does Maxine's mother tell stories?
4. Where does the girl stay at the top of the mountain?
5. Where does Maxine attend college in the sixties?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the girl in the white tigers fantasy story meets the old couple who train her.
2. Describe a common practice the narrator mentions that is used to kill baby girls after birth in China.
3. Why might the narrator's mother call the narrator her biggest daughter instead of her oldest daughter?
4. When she is about to stay overnight in the haunted room at school, what does the narrator's mother tell the other girls at medical school to do if they find her very afraid in the morning?
5. How the narrator feels about the quiet girl at school?
6. In "White Tigers," who does the woman feel is riding with her while she is with her army?
7. What did the narrator's term "FOBs" stand for?
8. What are at least two of the most difficult things on the narrator's list that she tells her mother?
9. According to Moon Orchid, which of Brave Orchid's children are happy?
10. How do Moon Orchid and Brave Orchid act when they are reunited for the first time in years?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)