|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these ideas is not introduced in "No Name Woman"?
(a) Ghost stories.
(b) The narrator's relationship with her mother.
(c) Chinese culture.
(d) The narrator's relationship with her siblings.
2. When did Maxine's aunt marry her husband?
(a) A year before her baby was born.
(b) The day before he left for America.
(c) The day before her baby was born.
(d) A year before he left for America.
3. What animal appears as a sign that it is time for the young woman to leave her parents to fight?
(a) A whooping crane.
(b) A chirping bird.
(c) A white horse.
(d) A silver fox.
4. How often does Maxine's mother tell stories?
(d) Once a year.
5. At what age is the girl taken to the mountains of the white tigers?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the enemy's leader, a prince, steal from the woman?
2. What character does "No Name Woman" most likely refer to?
3. While working at the paint shop, what is the name of the color that offends Maxine?
4. Why is Maxine fired from her job at the land developer's association?
5. What happens to Maxine's aunt the night her baby is due?
Short Essay Questions
1. After reading this section of the novel, do you think the narrator's mother's stories leave a strong impression on her daughter?
2. What is one thing Moon Orchid notices about Brave Orchid's home that she thinks is strange? Explain why she thinks it is strange.
3. How do the girls at the medical school get materials to burn out the ghost from the haunted room in the dorms?
4. What are two of the three Chinese customs the narrator comments on after pondering how her aunt became pregnant?
5. How does Moon Orchid die?
6. Do you think the story of the narrator's aunt is true? Explain why or why not.
7. What was Crazy Mary's appearance, according to the narrator's description?
8. Why do you think the narrator feels that her American success is sometimes useless? Give an example to support your position.
9. According to Moon Orchid, which of Brave Orchid's children are happy?
10. What did the narrator's term "FOBs" stand for?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)