|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the woman kill the baron of her village?
(a) She poisons his dinner in his hut.
(b) She leads him to run off a cliff.
(c) She sends her army after him.
(d) She distracts him and cuts off his head.
2. What is the other meaning of the Chinese word for female?
3. Why does Maxine add a word to boys' names?
(a) It is a sign of romantic affection.
(b) She does not have any brothers of her own.
(c) It is part of the Chinese culture.
(d) She feels it shows sisterly affection.
4. What does Maxine's aunt do after delivering her baby?
(a) She hides her baby in the forest.
(b) She runs away from the village with her baby.
(c) She returns to her home with her baby.
(d) She throws herself and her baby down the well.
5. Why do the villagers curse Maxine's aunt's home?
(a) She stole food from them.
(b) They want to avenge her husband.
(c) They are afraid her infidelity harmed them.
(d) She cursed her neighbor's child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main reason Maxine's mother likes to tell stores?
2. What do the traditional Chinese stories, like those told by Maxine's mother, teach Chinese girls they can be?
3. At what age is the girl taken to the mountains of the white tigers?
4. Who does the girl see as her future husband in the water gourd?
5. According to the old couple, at what point will the girl be ready to leave them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is narrator's impression of her mother when looking at the old medical school photograph?
2. How do Moon Orchid and Brave Orchid act when they are reunited for the first time in years?
3. Do you think the narrator's aunt was a victim or an adultress? Explain why or why not.
4. In "White Tigers," describe the return of the girl, now a young woman, to her village.
5. What do Brave Orchid's daughters learn from watching what happens between Moon Orchid and her husband?
6. What are three of the gifts Moon Orchid brings her family from China?
7. How does the narrator feel about Brave Orchid's relationship with the slave girl?
8. How do the girls at the medical school get materials to burn out the ghost from the haunted room in the dorms?
9. What happens to the baron's family after the woman beheads the baron?
10. Why do you think the narrator feels that her American success is sometimes useless? Give an example to support your position.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)