|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children were in Maxine's aunt's family?
2. Why does Maxine feel she is punishing her aunt?
(a) She never met her.
(b) She went against her mother's wishes.
(c) She did not like her.
(d) She cannot speak of her.
3. Which of these ideas is not introduced in "No Name Woman"?
(a) The narrator's relationship with her siblings.
(b) Chinese culture.
(c) Ghost stories.
(d) The narrator's relationship with her mother.
4. Which of these is a possibility Maxine considers to explain her aunt's pregnancy?
(a) Her aunt was a wild woman and enjoyed the man she was with.
(b) Her aunt visited her husband in America.
(c) Her aunt had a child born from the gods.
(d) Her aunt was re-married to another man.
5. When Maxine's father leaves China, who goes with him?
(a) His wife and daughters.
(b) The other men in his family.
(c) Only his sister's husband.
(d) His sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old couple give the girl, now a young woman, as a parting gift?
2. What do the traditional Chinese stories, like those told by Maxine's mother, teach Chinese girls they can be?
3. Who does the narrator's mother say Maxine can tell about her aunt?
4. What does the girl in Maxine's story follow at the beginning of the story?
5. Where does Maxine attend college in the sixties?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think the story of the narrator's aunt is true? Explain why or why not.
2. How does the narrator feel about Brave Orchid's relationship with the slave girl?
3. How does the title of the section, "Shaman," relate to the stories told in the section?
4. Why are the narrator and her sister referred to a therapist?
5. How do the girls at the medical school get materials to burn out the ghost from the haunted room in the dorms?
6. As an adult, why does the narrator refuse to cook, clean, or wash dishes?
7. When she is about to stay overnight in the haunted room at school, what does the narrator's mother tell the other girls at medical school to do if they find her very afraid in the morning?
8. How does the narrator feel when she is told not to speak of her aunt?
9. What are some of the "battles" the narrator feels she must face as a woman warrior in modern society? Name at least two.
10. What is narrator's impression of her mother when looking at the old medical school photograph?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)