|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Moon Orchid afraid of while she is living in California?
(a) The Japanese Americans.
(b) The Mexicans.
(c) The Chinese Americans.
(d) The Canadians.
2. How does Brave Orchid view her sister when Moon Orchid first arrives?
(a) Sloppy and messy-looking.
(b) Sharp and witty.
(c) Delicate and high-class.
(d) Old and disconnected.
3. How is the ghost that sits on top of Maxine's mother described?
(a) Loud and chanting.
(b) Cold and clammy.
(c) Shapeless and shifting.
(d) Fuzzy and hairy.
4. What figure do Maxine and her mother have as a totem?
(a) A dragon.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A panther.
(d) A lion.
5. What does Maxine's mother bring to the haunted room at the school at night?
(a) A knife and a novel.
(b) A blanket and a pen.
(c) A stick and a diary.
(d) A totem and a crystal.
6. At the end of At the Western Palace, what does Brave Orchid warn her children of?
(a) Not to live alone.
(b) Not to depend on others for money.
(c) Not to let their father marry another woman.
(d) Not to marry young.
7. What does Maxine's mother think has poisoned her?
(a) Her daughter's soup.
(b) Oil in her drinking water.
(c) LSD in her cough medicine.
(d) The ghosts from her stories.
8. How does Moon Orchid describe Brave Orchid's oldest daughter?
(a) Picky and stubborn.
(b) Silent and dumb.
(c) Confusing and talkative.
(d) Messy and absent-minded.
9. What do Maxine's mother and her friends steal to burn the haunted room?
(a) Firecrackers and newspaper.
(b) Wood and gasoline.
(c) Bed sheets and lighter fluid.
(d) Alcohol and matches.
10. According to Moon Orchid, what Chinese word does Brave Orchid's oldest daughter's name sound like?
11. What does the piece of wood smell like when the girls burn it?
(a) A gas leak.
(c) A corpse.
12. When does the ghost leave Maxine's mother?
(a) When the school alarm goes off.
(b) When the narrator's mother screams.
(c) When the narrator's mother recites a chant.
(d) When the dawn comes.
13. Where was Moon Orchid living in China before she came to America?
(a) A small village.
(b) Hong Kong.
14. Where does Moon Orchid live after she sees her husband again?
(a) With her husband's second wife.
(b) With her daughter.
(c) With her husband.
(d) With Brave Orchid.
15. What age does the document say Maxine's mother is?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brave Orchid's family use the back bedroom at the laundry for?
2. From whom does Brave Orchid buy her slave girl?
3. What does the slave girl have to do to pass Brave Orchid's test?
4. What does the rock candy Brave Orchid gives to the children meant to symbolize?
5. What does Moon Orchid's husband call Moon Orchid and Brave Orchid?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)