|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the ghost that sits on top of Maxine's mother called?
(a) A Sitting Ghost.
(b) A Tormenting Ghost.
(c) A Haunting Ghost.
(d) A Flying Ghost.
2. What does the rock candy Brave Orchid gives to the children meant to symbolize?
(a) A new taste.
(b) A difficult task ahead.
(c) A sweet beginning.
(d) A change in beliefs.
3. Where is Moon Orchid finally happy living?
(a) In her daughter's house.
(b) In her own apartment.
(c) In Brave Orchid's house.
(d) In a mental asylum.
4. What does Brave Orchid's family use the back bedroom at the laundry for?
(a) Moon Orchid's bedroom.
(b) Sleeping on late nights and sick children.
(c) A place for punishing children.
(d) Extra storage for large orders.
5. How does Moon Orchid interact with the narrator?
(a) Moon Orchid treats the narrator like all of Brave Orchid's children.
(b) The narrator is Moon Orchid's favorite of all of the children.
(c) Moon Orchid is outspokenly afraid of the narrator.
(d) The narrator is the only American Moon Orchid will talk to.
6. What do the villagers admire Maxine's mother for when she first returns from medical school?
(a) She lost weight.
(b) She has an education.
(c) She has a slave.
(d) She is well dressed.
7. At the end of At the Western Palace, what does Brave Orchid warn her children of?
(a) Not to let their father marry another woman.
(b) Not to live alone.
(c) Not to depend on others for money.
(d) Not to marry young.
8. Which of these is not an option Brave Orchid presents to Moon Orchid for jobs?
(a) Working at a restaurant in Chinatown.
(b) Working as a bank teller.
(c) Working as a maid.
(d) Working in the canneries.
9. How much does Maxine's mother say the slave girl cost?
(a) 250 dollars.
(b) 200 dollars.
(c) 100 dollars.
(d) 50 dollars.
10. Which of these creatures does not drop out of the trees, according to Maxine's mother?
11. When was Maxine born?
(a) Well before World War II.
(b) During World War II.
(c) Well after World War II.
(d) In the 19th Century.
12. With whom does Maxine's mother live while she attends medical school?
(a) Her parents.
(b) Five other girls.
(c) Two other girls.
(d) Her husband.
13. What figure do Maxine and her mother have as a totem?
(a) A dragon.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A lion.
(d) A panther.
14. Why does Maxine's mother burn candles in the laundry?
(a) To light the laundry.
(b) To make needed wax.
(c) To dry the germs.
(d) To ward off the ghosts.
15. What do Maxine's mother and her friends steal to burn the haunted room?
(a) Bed sheets and lighter fluid.
(b) Wood and gasoline.
(c) Alcohol and matches.
(d) Firecrackers and newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Moon Orchid bring for Brave Orchid?
2. According to the fortune teller, what is the number of the universe?
3. What does Moon Orchid notice about the walls in Brave Orchid's home that is unacceptable in China?
4. What age does the document say Maxine's mother is?
5. Where does Moon Orchid sit at the laundry?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)