|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What document does Maxine's mother have mailed to America?
(a) Her medical diploma.
(b) Her birth certificate.
(c) Her marriage license.
(d) Her husband's birth certificate.
2. Who does Moon Orchid's daughter live with?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Brave Orchid.
3. What does Maxine's mother do after unpacking at medical school?
(a) She goes out to dinner.
(b) She drinks tea.
(c) She begins reading.
(d) She writes home.
4. What gift does Moon Orchid bring from Lovely Orchid?
5. Where does Moon Orchid sit at the laundry?
(a) On a crate.
(b) With the washing machines.
(c) In the back room.
(d) Behind the counter.
6. In what city does Brave Orchid wait for Moon Orchid to arrive from China?
(a) San Diego.
(b) San Jose.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) San Francisco.
7. What illness does Maxine get while at her parent's house?
(a) A fever and delirium.
(b) A pain in her heart.
(c) A spider headache.
(d) Whooping cough.
8. What does Brave Orchid's family use the back bedroom at the laundry for?
(a) Sleeping on late nights and sick children.
(b) Moon Orchid's bedroom.
(c) A place for punishing children.
(d) Extra storage for large orders.
9. What is one thing Moon Orchid learns to do at the laundry?
(a) Take orders.
(b) Hang clothes.
(c) Fold towels.
(d) Run errands.
10. In what city has Moon Orchid's husband been living?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) San Diego.
11. What does Moon Orchid notice about the walls in Brave Orchid's home that is unacceptable in China?
(a) There are dolls hanging on the walls.
(b) There are family photographs on the walls.
(c) There are curtains on the windows.
(d) There is wallpaper on the walls.
12. What does Maxine's mother make for people to end infertility?
13. What does the rock candy Brave Orchid gives to the children meant to symbolize?
(a) A sweet beginning.
(b) A new taste.
(c) A change in beliefs.
(d) A difficult task ahead.
14. With whom does Maxine's mother live while she attends medical school?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her parents.
(c) Two other girls.
(d) Five other girls.
15. How much does Maxine's mother say the slave girl cost?
(a) 250 dollars.
(b) 50 dollars.
(c) 100 dollars.
(d) 200 dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subjects did all of Brave Orchid's children major in?
2. Where does Moon Orchid live after she sees her husband again?
3. What does immigration ask Maxine's mother about the narrator's father?
4. When does the ghost leave Maxine's mother?
5. What age does the document say Maxine's mother is?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)