|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Moon Orchid, what Chinese word does Brave Orchid's oldest daughter's name sound like?
2. What does Maxine's mother bring to the haunted room at the school at night?
(a) A blanket and a pen.
(b) A totem and a crystal.
(c) A stick and a diary.
(d) A knife and a novel.
3. What does immigration ask Maxine's mother about the narrator's father?
(a) Did he serve in the war.
(b) When he left for America.
(c) When he cut off his pigtail.
(d) His birthdate.
4. What does Moon Orchid think Brave Orchid's children smell like?
5. What gift does Moon Orchid bring from Lovely Orchid?
6. What does Moon Orchid's husband call Moon Orchid and Brave Orchid?
7. What do the villagers admire Maxine's mother for when she first returns from medical school?
(a) She has a slave.
(b) She has an education.
(c) She is well dressed.
(d) She lost weight.
8. At the end of At the Western Palace, what does Brave Orchid warn her children of?
(a) Not to live alone.
(b) Not to depend on others for money.
(c) Not to let their father marry another woman.
(d) Not to marry young.
9. What does the piece of wood smell like when the girls burn it?
(a) A corpse.
(c) A gas leak.
10. Which of these creatures does not drop out of the trees, according to Maxine's mother?
11. How do Brave Orchid and Moon Orchid get Moon Orchid's husband to come outside of his building?
(a) They send Brave Orchid's daughter inside to get him.
(b) They send him a message to tell him they are outside.
(c) They pretend a woman has broken her leg in the street.
(d) They pretend they are important clients who will not enter the building.
12. With whom does Maxine's mother live while she attends medical school?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Five other girls.
(c) Two other girls.
(d) Her parents.
13. What country does Brave Orchid believe her son is in?
(d) The Philippines.
14. What game do Brave Orchid and Moon Orchid watch in Chinatown?
(b) Skid Row.
(c) Chinese Checkers.
15. What does Maxine's mother do after unpacking at medical school?
(a) She begins reading.
(b) She writes home.
(c) She goes out to dinner.
(d) She drinks tea.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the ghost leave Maxine's mother?
2. What document does Maxine's mother have mailed to America?
3. According to Moon Orchid, what does a daughter having a curled upper lip indicate?
4. For how many years does Maxine's mother not reach her husband?
5. What substance is on the piece of wood the girls find under the bed?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)