|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the piece of wood smell like when the girls burn it?
(a) A gas leak.
(b) A corpse.
2. What does immigration ask Maxine's mother about the narrator's father?
(a) When he cut off his pigtail.
(b) His birthdate.
(c) When he left for America.
(d) Did he serve in the war.
3. What age does the document say Maxine's mother is?
4. For what profession does Brave Orchid tell the dealer she will train the slave girl?
(a) A storyteller.
(b) A weaver.
(c) A gardener.
(d) A nurse.
5. How does Moon Orchid describe Brave Orchid's youngest daughter?
(a) Sweet smiling.
(b) Tormented soul.
(c) Raging billows.
(d) Silent mouth.
6. What does Maxine's mother bring to the haunted room at the school at night?
(a) A knife and a novel.
(b) A totem and a crystal.
(c) A blanket and a pen.
(d) A stick and a diary.
7. How much does Maxine's mother say the slave girl cost?
(a) 50 dollars.
(b) 200 dollars.
(c) 100 dollars.
(d) 250 dollars.
8. What does the slave girl have to do to pass Brave Orchid's test?
(a) Lift more than 30 pounds.
(b) Tie a certain kind of knot.
(c) Explain her knowledge of medicine.
(d) Write a word from memory.
9. What does Maxine's mother do after unpacking at medical school?
(a) She drinks tea.
(b) She writes home.
(c) She goes out to dinner.
(d) She begins reading.
10. What does Moon Orchid think Brave Orchid's children smell like?
11. How is the ghost that sits on top of Maxine's mother described?
(a) Fuzzy and hairy.
(b) Loud and chanting.
(c) Cold and clammy.
(d) Shapeless and shifting.
12. What does Maxine's mother make for people to end infertility?
13. Why does Maxine's family tell ghost stories at the laundry when temperatures are high?
(a) To cool off.
(b) To ward off ghosts.
(c) To dry the clothes.
(d) To bring good weather.
14. In Brave Orchid's story of the emperor with four wives, which of the four wives does Brave Orchid feel Moon Orchid is most similar to?
(a) The Empress of the South.
(b) The Empress of the West.
(c) The Empress of the East.
(d) The Empress of the North.
15. For how many years is Maxine's mother at medical school?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Brave Orchid view her sister when Moon Orchid first arrives?
2. Who is Moon Orchid afraid of while she is living in California?
3. How do Brave Orchid and Moon Orchid get Moon Orchid's husband to come outside of his building?
4. How does Moon Orchid describe Brave Orchid's oldest daughter?
5. How does Moon Orchid die?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)