|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Moon Orchid interact with the narrator?
(a) Moon Orchid is outspokenly afraid of the narrator.
(b) The narrator is the only American Moon Orchid will talk to.
(c) The narrator is Moon Orchid's favorite of all of the children.
(d) Moon Orchid treats the narrator like all of Brave Orchid's children.
2. What does Maxine's mother earn a reputation for while she is at medical school?
(a) Being deceitful.
(b) Being loud.
(c) Being dimwitted.
(d) Being brilliant.
3. In what city does Brave Orchid wait for Moon Orchid to arrive from China?
(a) San Jose.
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) San Diego.
(d) San Francisco.
4. At the end of At the Western Palace, what does Brave Orchid warn her children of?
(a) Not to depend on others for money.
(b) Not to let their father marry another woman.
(c) Not to live alone.
(d) Not to marry young.
5. How does Moon Orchid describe Brave Orchid's youngest daughter?
(a) Silent mouth.
(b) Raging billows.
(c) Tormented soul.
(d) Sweet smiling.
6. What does the piece of wood smell like when the girls burn it?
(b) A corpse.
(d) A gas leak.
7. What does Moon Orchid think Brave Orchid's children smell like?
8. According to Moon Orchid, what Chinese word does Brave Orchid's oldest daughter's name sound like?
9. What do the villagers admire Maxine's mother for when she first returns from medical school?
(a) She is well dressed.
(b) She has an education.
(c) She has a slave.
(d) She lost weight.
10. How does Moon Orchid describe Brave Orchid's oldest daughter?
(a) Silent and dumb.
(b) Picky and stubborn.
(c) Confusing and talkative.
(d) Messy and absent-minded.
11. What does immigration ask Maxine's mother about the narrator's father?
(a) His birthdate.
(b) When he cut off his pigtail.
(c) Did he serve in the war.
(d) When he left for America.
12. How does Brave Orchid view her sister when Moon Orchid first arrives?
(a) Delicate and high-class.
(b) Sloppy and messy-looking.
(c) Old and disconnected.
(d) Sharp and witty.
13. What does Moon Orchid's husband call Moon Orchid and Brave Orchid?
14. When does the ghost leave Maxine's mother?
(a) When the school alarm goes off.
(b) When the narrator's mother screams.
(c) When the narrator's mother recites a chant.
(d) When the dawn comes.
15. What does Brave Orchid buy for her father?
(a) New shoes.
(b) A new suit.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A turtle.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Brave Orchid's story of the emperor with four wives, which of the four wives does Brave Orchid feel Moon Orchid is most similar to?
2. What does the rock candy Brave Orchid gives to the children meant to symbolize?
3. How is the ghost that sits on top of Maxine's mother described?
4. What do Maxine's mother and her friends steal to burn the haunted room?
5. In what city has Moon Orchid's husband been living?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)