|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children were in Maxine's aunt's family?
2. When the girl sees visions of people spinning in the fire, what do these people turn into?
(b) White tigers.
(d) Her parents..
3. Which of these is a possibility Maxine considers to explain her aunt's pregnancy?
(a) Her aunt carried the baby for her sister.
(b) Her aunt talked loudly and was punished by the gods.
(c) Her aunt was unusually beloved by her family for being a girl.
(d) Her aunt was not human.
4. What is the woman's first enemy?
(a) Another army.
(b) A thief.
(c) The emperor.
(d) A giant.
5. Whose ghost haunts Maxine?
(a) The narrator's aunt.
(b) The narrator's father.
(c) The narrator's baby cousin.
(d) The narrator's mother.
6. While with her army, what does the woman do at night?
(a) Sings to her army.
(b) Prays for her parents.
(c) Tells stories to her friends.
(d) Wishes for a child.
7. According to the old couple, at what point will the girl be ready to leave them?
(a) When she can survive on the mountain of the white tigers.
(b) When she can point to the sky and a sword appears.
(c) When she can see visions in the water gourd
(d) When she can recite all of their teachings..
8. Why does Maxine feel she is punishing her aunt?
(a) She did not like her.
(b) She cannot speak of her.
(c) She never met her.
(d) She went against her mother's wishes.
9. When the girl returns from her journey, what is it time for her to begin?
(a) Learning about her visions.
(b) Her cooking lessons.
(c) Learning about the white tigers.
(d) Her dragon lessons.
10. Why are the Chinese afraid of drowned ghosts?
(a) They act violently because of their traumatic deaths.
(b) They are looking to pull someone down in the water to replace them.
(c) They have the most unlikely deaths.
(d) They are most likely to haunt people because of unfinished business.
11. When the girl walks into the dead land, how does she find something to eat?
(a) The white tigers provide her with food.
(b) She quickly grows food from seeds she finds.
(c) She eats what she is carrying with her.
(d) A white rabbit jumps into her fire.
12. In the white crane boxing story, what does the spirit of the white crane later become?
(a) A child.
(b) An old man.
(c) An old woman.
(d) A black crane.
13. When Maxine re-tells the story of her aunt, the narrator's story shows that the aunt's final actions are done out of _____.
14. What does Maxine question about her mother's stories?
(a) If they are all true.
(b) If she believes them herself.
(c) If they are warnings for the future.
(d) If she has changed the names.
15. According to Chinese custom, where would Maxine's mother and aunt have lived after their husbands left?
(a) Outside the village
(b) In the same home.
(c) With their in-laws.
(d) In their own homes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Maxine fired from her job at the land developer's association?
2. What does the old couple give the girl, now a young woman, as a parting gift?
3. What animal appears as a sign that it is time for the young woman to leave her parents to fight?
4. What do the people she meets show the girl to convince her to stay?
5. What is the other meaning of the Chinese word for female?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)