|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does legend say happens to the women with bound feet?
(a) They form a convent and pray for the woman warrior.
(b) They become immortal and protect the woman's army.
(c) They all die once their feet are unbound.
(d) They form a mercenary army that buys babies.
2. What do the traditional Chinese stories, like those told by Maxine's mother, teach Chinese girls they can be?
(a) Storytellers and soothsayers.
(b) Students and wise women.
(c) Wives and mothers.
(d) Heroines and swordswomen.
3. In the white crane boxing story, what does the spirit of the white crane later become?
(a) An old woman.
(b) A black crane.
(c) An old man.
(d) A child.
4. When the girl sees visions of people spinning in the fire, what do these people turn into?
(a) White tigers.
(b) Her parents..
5. For how long does the girl agree to stay with the people she meets?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Fourteen years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Seven years.
6. What word does Maxine always add to boys' names?
7. How old is Maxine at the beginning of the fantastical story she tells about herself?
(a) Ten years old.
(b) Fifteen years old.
(c) Fourteen years old.
(d) Seven years old.
8. When did Maxine's aunt marry her husband?
(a) A year before he left for America.
(b) The day before her baby was born.
(c) A year before her baby was born.
(d) The day before he left for America.
9. Which of these Chinese customs does Maxine comment on?
(a) Talking loudly.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Remaining silent at the dinner table.
(d) Walking erect.
10. According to the old couple, at what point will the girl be ready to leave them?
(a) When she can point to the sky and a sword appears.
(b) When she can see visions in the water gourd
(c) When she can survive on the mountain of the white tigers.
(d) When she can recite all of their teachings..
11. When Maxine re-tells the story of her aunt, the narrator's story shows that the aunt's final actions are done out of _____.
12. How many years has it been since Maxine's mother told the narrator the story of her aunt?
13. Why do the villagers curse Maxine's aunt's home?
(a) She cursed her neighbor's child.
(b) They want to avenge her husband.
(c) She stole food from them.
(d) They are afraid her infidelity harmed them.
14. In No Name Woman, who is telling the story?
(a) The aunt.
(b) The narrator.
(c) The mother.
(d) The author.
15. How does the woman kill the baron of her village?
(a) She poisons his dinner in his hut.
(b) She leads him to run off a cliff.
(c) She distracts him and cuts off his head.
(d) She sends her army after him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Maxine fired from her job at the land developer's association?
2. How many children were in Maxine's aunt's family?
3. What is the main reason Maxine's mother likes to tell stores?
4. When did Maxine's aunt's supposed betrayal happen?
5. What type of grades does Maxine get in school?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)