|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these Chinese customs does Maxine comment on?
(a) Talking loudly.
(b) Walking erect.
(c) Remaining silent at the dinner table.
(d) All of the above.
2. What is the first thing the girl has to learn to do?
(a) Be quiet and kneel all day.
(b) Make a fire with sticks.
(c) Exercise and become strong.
(d) Survive in the wild alone.
3. What group terrorizes Maxine's family in China?
(a) Emperor's armies.
4. Where does Maxine's aunt deliver her baby?
(a) In her sister-in-law's home.
(b) In the pigsty.
(c) In the garden.
(d) In her home.
5. Where does Maxine attend college in the sixties?
6. Why is Maxine fired from her job at the land developer's association?
(a) She refuses to answer the phones.
(b) She refuses to marry her boss.
(c) She refuses to paint with a certain color.
(d) She refuses to type invitations.
7. What does the girl in Maxine's story follow at the beginning of the story?
(a) The whistle of the wind.
(b) The whispers of a ghost.
(c) The shadows of the sun.
(d) The call of a bird.
8. Which of these is a possibility Maxine considers to explain her aunt's pregnancy?
(a) Her aunt was raped.
(b) Her aunt was tortured.
(c) Her aunt was pregnant before her husband left.
(d) Her aunt was not actually pregnant.
9. How old is Maxine at the beginning of the fantastical story she tells about herself?
(a) Fifteen years old.
(b) Seven years old.
(c) Fourteen years old.
(d) Ten years old.
10. What does the woman give the women with bound feet?
(a) New shoes.
(b) Salve and prayers.
(c) Bags of rice.
11. What word does Maxine always add to boys' names?
12. When did Maxine's aunt's supposed betrayal happen?
(a) During a drought.
(b) During a war with the Japanese.
(c) All of the above.
(d) During ghost plagues.
13. Which of these is a possibility Maxine considers to explain her aunt's pregnancy?
(a) Her aunt was a wild woman and enjoyed the man she was with.
(b) Her aunt had a child born from the gods.
(c) Her aunt was re-married to another man.
(d) Her aunt visited her husband in America.
14. Why do the villagers curse Maxine's aunt's home?
(a) She cursed her neighbor's child.
(b) She stole food from them.
(c) They are afraid her infidelity harmed them.
(d) They want to avenge her husband.
15. How many girl children were in Maxine's aunt's family?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Maxine's aunt marry her husband?
2. What is the woman's first enemy?
3. According to Chinese custom, where would Maxine's mother and aunt have lived after their husbands left?
4. What is the woman distracted by that leads to her capture?
5. Which of these ideas is not introduced in "No Name Woman"?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)