|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group terrorizes Maxine's family in China?
(b) Emperor's armies.
2. What do the people she meets show the girl to convince her to stay?
(a) A vision of her future.
(b) An image in a water jug .
(c) A letter from her parents.
(d) A sword with an inscription.
3. Why are the Chinese afraid of drowned ghosts?
(a) They are most likely to haunt people because of unfinished business.
(b) They have the most unlikely deaths.
(c) They are looking to pull someone down in the water to replace them.
(d) They act violently because of their traumatic deaths.
4. What is the woman distracted by that leads to her capture?
(b) Deer tracks.
5. What does the old couple give the girl, now a young woman, as a parting gift?
(a) A water gourd.
(b) Fifteen beads.
(c) A magic sword.
(d) Two rabbit ears.
6. What does Maxine's aunt do after delivering her baby?
(a) She runs away from the village with her baby.
(b) She hides her baby in the forest.
(c) She throws herself and her baby down the well.
(d) She returns to her home with her baby.
7. Where does Maxine's aunt deliver her baby?
(a) In the pigsty.
(b) In her home.
(c) In her sister-in-law's home.
(d) In the garden.
8. What do the traditional Chinese stories, like those told by Maxine's mother, teach Chinese girls they can be?
(a) Heroines and swordswomen.
(b) Students and wise women.
(c) Wives and mothers.
(d) Storytellers and soothsayers.
9. When Maxine re-tells the story of her aunt, the narrator's story shows that the aunt's final actions are done out of _____.
10. What word does Maxine always add to boys' names?
11. What happens to Maxine's aunt the night her baby is due?
(a) The villagers deliver her child.
(b) She has a dream vision.
(c) The villagers raid her home.
(d) She becomes very ill.
12. What does Maxine say about the separation between China and America?
(a) Her mother does not acknowledge a separation.
(b) There is a huge separation in culture.
(c) There is a separation in ghost stories.
(d) There is a lack of separation.
13. When the girl returns from her journey, what is it time for her to begin?
(a) Learning about the white tigers.
(b) Her cooking lessons.
(c) Learning about her visions.
(d) Her dragon lessons.
14. What did a medium once tell Maxine?
(a) That the narrator could be a medium.
(b) That the narrator would live a long life.
(c) That the narrator would be troubled by ghosts.
(d) That the narrator would never marry.
15. Why does Maxine feel she is punishing her aunt?
(a) She went against her mother's wishes.
(b) She cannot speak of her.
(c) She never met her.
(d) She did not like her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Maxine's aunt's supposed betrayal happen?
2. Who does the girl meet at the top of the mountain?
3. How often does Maxine's mother tell stories?
4. At what age is the girl taken to the mountains of the white tigers?
5. What does the girl in Maxine's story follow at the beginning of the story?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)