|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the girl walks into the dead land, how does she find something to eat?
(a) A white rabbit jumps into her fire.
(b) The white tigers provide her with food.
(c) She eats what she is carrying with her.
(d) She quickly grows food from seeds she finds.
2. How many children were in Maxine's aunt's family?
3. How many girl children were in Maxine's aunt's family?
4. What does Maxine say about the separation between China and America?
(a) There is a lack of separation.
(b) There is a huge separation in culture.
(c) There is a separation in ghost stories.
(d) Her mother does not acknowledge a separation.
5. Where does Maxine's aunt deliver her baby?
(a) In her home.
(b) In the garden.
(c) In her sister-in-law's home.
(d) In the pigsty.
6. Who is Kuan Kung?
(a) The god of literature and war.
(b) The emperor the woman is going to fight.
(c) The woman's husband.
(d) The legendary heroine the woman looks up to.
7. What happens to Maxine's aunt the night her baby is due?
(a) She becomes very ill.
(b) The villagers deliver her child.
(c) She has a dream vision.
(d) The villagers raid her home.
8. When did Maxine's aunt marry her husband?
(a) The day before he left for America.
(b) The day before her baby was born.
(c) A year before he left for America.
(d) A year before her baby was born.
9. Who tells Maxine the story of her aunt?
(a) The narrator's mother.
(b) The narrator's father.
(c) The narrator's sister.
(d) The narrator's grandmother.
10. Whose ghost haunts Maxine?
(a) The narrator's baby cousin.
(b) The narrator's mother.
(c) The narrator's aunt.
(d) The narrator's father.
11. What is the other meaning of the Chinese word for female?
12. When Maxine re-tells the story of her aunt, the narrator's story shows that the aunt's final actions are done out of _____.
13. What is the woman distracted by that leads to her capture?
(b) Deer tracks.
14. For what reason does the woman hide from battle?
(a) To avoid a particular enemy.
(b) To tend to her husband.
(c) To visit her parents.
(d) To give birth.
15. How does the woman kill the baron of her village?
(a) She leads him to run off a cliff.
(b) She sends her army after him.
(c) She poisons his dinner in his hut.
(d) She distracts him and cuts off his head.
Short Answer Questions
1. While with her army, what does the woman do at night?
2. When the girl sees visions of people spinning in the fire, what do these people turn into?
3. What do the traditional Chinese stories, like those told by Maxine's mother, teach Chinese girls they can be?
4. When Maxine's father leaves China, who goes with him?
5. Why does Maxine feel her aunt's ghost is suffering?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)