|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Song for a Barbarian Reed Pipe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old couple give the girl, now a young woman, as a parting gift?
(a) Fifteen beads.
(b) A water gourd.
(c) Two rabbit ears.
(d) A magic sword.
2. Why does Maxine feel she is punishing her aunt?
(a) She cannot speak of her.
(b) She never met her.
(c) She went against her mother's wishes.
(d) She did not like her.
3. What instrument does the quiet girl play?
(a) The flute.
(b) The clarinet.
(c) The drums.
(d) The triangle.
4. What happens when children make mistakes about Chinese traditions?
(a) Their parents hit them.
(b) They are haunted by ghosts.
(c) Their parents take away their food.
(d) They are sent away.
5. How is the ghost that sits on top of Maxine's mother described?
(a) Loud and chanting.
(b) Cold and clammy.
(c) Shapeless and shifting.
(d) Fuzzy and hairy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the first place Brave Orchid set foot in America?
2. Where does Maxine torment the quiet girl and make her cry?
3. What did a medium once tell Maxine?
4. Why does Maxine's family tell ghost stories at the laundry when temperatures are high?
5. For what profession does Brave Orchid tell the dealer she will train the slave girl?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)