|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through At the Western Palace.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Maxine's father leaves China, who goes with him?
(a) Only his sister's husband.
(b) His sister.
(c) The other men in his family.
(d) His wife and daughters.
2. What does Moon Orchid notice about the walls in Brave Orchid's home that is unacceptable in China?
(a) There are family photographs on the walls.
(b) There are curtains on the windows.
(c) There is wallpaper on the walls.
(d) There are dolls hanging on the walls.
3. Why does Maxine add a word to boys' names?
(a) It is a sign of romantic affection.
(b) She does not have any brothers of her own.
(c) She feels it shows sisterly affection.
(d) It is part of the Chinese culture.
4. For what profession does Brave Orchid tell the dealer she will train the slave girl?
(a) A weaver.
(b) A storyteller.
(c) A gardener.
(d) A nurse.
5. Who is Moon Orchid afraid of while she is living in California?
(a) The Chinese Americans.
(b) The Mexicans.
(c) The Canadians.
(d) The Japanese Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maxine's aunt do after delivering her baby?
2. In Brave Orchid's story of the emperor with four wives, which of the four wives does Brave Orchid feel Moon Orchid is most similar to?
3. What is the first thing the girl has to learn to do?
4. What does Maxine question about her mother's stories?
5. When Maxine's father leaves China, what country does he go to?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)