|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through At the Western Palace.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the villagers admire Maxine's mother for when she first returns from medical school?
(a) She lost weight.
(b) She has a slave.
(c) She has an education.
(d) She is well dressed.
2. What does Maxine's mother bring to the haunted room at the school at night?
(a) A stick and a diary.
(b) A totem and a crystal.
(c) A knife and a novel.
(d) A blanket and a pen.
3. For how many years is Maxine's mother at medical school?
4. Why does Maxine's mother burn candles in the laundry?
(a) To make needed wax.
(b) To light the laundry.
(c) To dry the germs.
(d) To ward off the ghosts.
5. What does the rock candy Brave Orchid gives to the children meant to symbolize?
(a) A sweet beginning.
(b) A difficult task ahead.
(c) A new taste.
(d) A change in beliefs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the other meaning of the Chinese word for female?
2. What does immigration ask Maxine's mother about the narrator's father?
3. When the girl sees visions of people spinning in the fire, what do these people turn into?
4. What figure do Maxine and her mother have as a totem?
5. What substance is the girl shown that could allow her to live forever?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)