|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 3, whom does Shadow say he is keeping out of trouble?
2. At the end of Act 1, why does Mio remain outside after all the other characters have left?
3. Who is accused of Shadow's death?
4. In the beginning of Act 2, what sound can be heard offstage?
5. Which character does Mio threaten to murder in Act 2?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the balance between hope and despair evident in the play. How does the action and dialogue of the play affect that balance? How is the balance between hope and despair used to express the themes of the play? In the end, which emotion do the remaining characters experience and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the personal philosophies presented in the play. How do these personal philosophies evolve and what factors affect their development? Discuss the struggle between the personal philosophies of the characters and their abilities to uphold these beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the factors which motivate the characters in the play. How do these motivations develop and change through the course of the play. What lessons are learned by the characters as their motivations change?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)