|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mio refuse to kiss Miriamne at the end of Act 2?
2. Who picks up Trock's dropped gun?
3. Who is Miriamne waiting for in the beginning of Act 2?
4. Which character are the Policeman and the Sergeant searching for in Act 2?
5. What happened the last time Trock asked someone if he was all through?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Miriamne's compassion with Mio's desire for revenge. How do these two emotions conflict throughout the play? In the end, which emotion proves to be the strongest and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Anderson's style of writing imitates that of Shakespeare. How does Anderson's use of language, sentence structure, dramatic conventions, and character development mimic that of Shakespeare? What philosophies do Anderson and Shakespeare seem to share?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of symbolism in the play. What is the significance of Lucia's piano? Discuss the significance of the use, ban, and removal of the piano in the drama. What is the significance of Garth's violin? Discuss the significance of the damage done to the violin and the sound of the violin in Act 3.
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)