|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Tramp enter the apartment in Act 2?
2. In Act 1, Scene 3, why does Miriamne pull Mio into the shadows?
3. What announcement does Carr make at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
4. In Act 2, how does Mio keep Trock from leaving the room?
5. Why does Mio swear at Miriamne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the setting of the play is designed to affect the mood of the drama. How do the character's placement onstage (blocking) affect the mood of the play? What role does music play in setting the mood of the play? How does mood and setting help express the themes being presented as the scenes change?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony in the play. What ironies result from the conflict between Mio's desire for revenge and his love for Miriamne? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the play? Is irony an effective tool for changing behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how deception is used among the characters in the drama. What contrasts in attitude exist about the acceptance of deception as a tool? What role does deception play in the final outcome of the play?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)