|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shadow take away from Trock in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. In the beginning of Act 2, what sound can be heard offstage?
3. Why does Miriamne apologize to Esdras at the beginning of Act 2?
4. Why didn't Miriamne tell the police the truth about Garth?
5. In Act 1, Scene 3, whom does Shadow say he is keeping out of trouble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how radical behavior among the characters (radicalism) is used to express the themes of the play. What is the rationale behind the radical behavior exhibited by some characters? How might Anderson's personal experiences have affected his characters' acceptance of radicalism?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of fate and destiny in the play. What destinies are the characters fated to receive and what lessons are learned by the audience as a result? Does Anderson present destiny as a predetermined fate or a result of personal choices?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the personal philosophies presented in the play. How do these personal philosophies evolve and what factors affect their development? Discuss the struggle between the personal philosophies of the characters and their abilities to uphold these beliefs.
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)