|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esdras offer to give Judge Gaunt before they leave?
2. What is Mio really searching for when he knocks on the apartment door in Chapter 2?
3. Who offers Judge Gaunt food in Act 2?
4. What does Miriamne give Mio before he leaves in Act 2?
5. At the end of Act 1, why does Mio remain outside after all the other characters have left?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What purpose does poetic language serve in the play? At what points is prose interspersed with verse? How is prose used in the play? Why did Anderson choose to switch between the use of verse and prose?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the balance between hope and despair evident in the play. How does the action and dialogue of the play affect that balance? How is the balance between hope and despair used to express the themes of the play? In the end, which emotion do the remaining characters experience and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of justice in the drama? How does the quest for justice motivate the characters? What differing opinions exist among the character about the nature of justice? What role does justice play in the final outcome of the drama?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)