|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Judge Gaunt describe the professor's work?
2. In Act 1, Scene 3, what advice does Mio give Miriamne about love?
3. What has Professor Hobhouse written?
4. Why does Garth claim he was taken in for questioning at the time of the pay roll robbery murder?
5. What is the Tramp's name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the balance between hope and despair evident in the play. How does the action and dialogue of the play affect that balance? How is the balance between hope and despair used to express the themes of the play? In the end, which emotion do the remaining characters experience and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the references to death present in the play. Compare realistic references to death with figurative references to death. What do these references foreshadow for the characters either speaking about death or the characters being referred to in the line?
Essay Topic 3
What role does truth play in the drama? How does the quest for truth motivate the characters? How does truth inspire fear among some characters? What role does truth play in the final outcome of the play?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)