|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Garth like to teach?
2. What does Carr prevent the policeman from doing in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Who is Judge Gaunt?
4. How does Shadow describe Trock in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, what item is in need of repair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Miriamne in the way of Mio's goal?
2. How is Trock surprised in Act 2?
3. Why does Trock bring Judge Gaunt and Esdras back to the apartment in Act 2?
4. Why does Carr whistle "Star Spangled Banner" as he exits in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What is Mio's opinion of his father's trial?
6. Describe Judge Gaunt.
7. Describe Trock.
8. What was in the letter Miriamne found on Garth's floor?
9. In Act 2, what delusion does Mio join in with the judge?
10. Why do the Policeman and the Radical argue in Act 1, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Miriamne's compassion with Mio's desire for revenge. How do these two emotions conflict throughout the play? In the end, which emotion proves to be the strongest and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the factors which motivate the characters in the play. How do these motivations develop and change through the course of the play. What lessons are learned by the characters as their motivations change?
Essay Topic 3
What role does truth play in the drama? How does the quest for truth motivate the characters? How does truth inspire fear among some characters? What role does truth play in the final outcome of the play?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)