|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Trock ask both Esdras and Miriamne to do in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What claim does Garth make about his future in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Who sent Garth a letter?
4. Whom does the Radical accuse of capitalist oppression?
5. What instrument does Lucia play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Judge Gaunt.
2. How is Trock surprised in Act 2?
3. Why does Mio visit the apartment in the beginning of Act 2?
4. Why does Mio feel he is about to die in Act 3?
5. What information does Garth give Mio about his involvement with Romanga's case in the beginning of Act 2?
6. What threat does Trock make towards Shadow near the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
7. In Act 1, Scene 3, what have the authorities ordered Lucia to do?
8. Describe Lucia.
9. Why does Mio pray for Esdras in Act 3?
10. Why is Mio murdered?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how deception is used among the characters in the drama. What contrasts in attitude exist about the acceptance of deception as a tool? What role does deception play in the final outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony in the play. What ironies result from the conflict between Mio's desire for revenge and his love for Miriamne? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the play? Is irony an effective tool for changing behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the setting of the play is designed to affect the mood of the drama. How do the character's placement onstage (blocking) affect the mood of the play? What role does music play in setting the mood of the play? How does mood and setting help express the themes being presented as the scenes change?
This section contains 1,960 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)