|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on Trock's speech and mannerisms, how does he appear to be feeling in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. Who defends the Radical against the Policeman in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Who is Judge Gaunt?
4. Who is sitting alone at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What has reportedly happened to Judge Gaunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Miriamne murdered?
2. Describe Mio's eulogy for Shadow.
3. Why doesn't the Policeman find Shadow's body in Act 2?
4. What information does Garth give Mio about his involvement with Romanga's case in the beginning of Act 2?
5. Why is Shadow concerned about Trock's shouting in Act 1, Scene 1?
6. What happens to Shadow at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
7. Why does Carr whistle "Star Spangled Banner" as he exits in Act 1, Scene 3?
8. How does Shadow attempt to keep Trock out of trouble?
9. What was in the letter Miriamne found on Garth's floor?
10. What advice does Mio offer Miriamne in Act 1, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Miriamne's compassion with Mio's desire for revenge. How do these two emotions conflict throughout the play? In the end, which emotion proves to be the strongest and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how class differences are demonstrated and utilized in the play. How do the privileged characters treat the disadvantaged characters? How do the disadvantaged characters treat the privileged characters? Is privilege presented as a result of choice or fate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of justice in the drama? How does the quest for justice motivate the characters? What differing opinions exist among the character about the nature of justice? What role does justice play in the final outcome of the drama?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)