|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explanation does Trock give for returning to the area?
2. Who sent Garth a letter?
3. In Act 1, Scene 3, who begins to defend the Policeman?
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, to what does Garth attribute his father's fears?
5. What does Garth know about Romagna?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, how does Piny view Trock and Shadow?
2. How is Miriamne in the way of Mio's goal?
3. Why does Garth want to have his violin repaired?
4. Why does Miriamne suddenly tell Mio she can no longer see him near the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
5. How does Shadow attempt to keep Trock out of trouble?
6. What was in the letter Miriamne found on Garth's floor?
7. How does Miriamne attempt to cheer Mio after Judge Gaunt and Esdras leave the apartment in the middle of Act 2?
8. Why does Miriamne sit alone outside the apartment in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
9. In Act 1, Scene 1, how does Lucia view Trock and Shadow?
10. What does Garth confess to Miriamne in Act 1, Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conflict between hatred and forgiveness in the play. Describe how Mio's perceptions of hate and forgiveness change throughout the play. How does Trock's hatred affect his character and those around him? What roles do hatred and forgiveness play in the final outcome of the drama?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the factors which motivate the characters in the play. How do these motivations develop and change through the course of the play. What lessons are learned by the characters as their motivations change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the relationships between fathers and sons in the play. How do Mio and Garth's experiences with murder affect their relationships with their fathers? Which son appears to value his father more and why?
This section contains 1,953 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)