|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Garth inspecting when Miriamne arrives?
2. Who believes that it is better to tell a lie and live, rather than speak the truth and die?
3. What does Garth confess to Miriamne at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. In Act 1, Scene 1, what do Trock and Shadow do when they see Lucia?
5. What does Trock tell the Two Young Men to do in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Judge Gaunt.
2. What is Mio's personal philosophy about faith?
3. What happens to Shadow at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
4. Why does Miriamne sit alone outside the apartment in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
5. Describe Trock.
6. What is Mio's opinion of his father's trial?
7. Why does Miriamne suddenly tell Mio she can no longer see him near the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
8. Why is Shadow concerned about Trock's shouting in Act 1, Scene 1?
9. What does Esdras do for Judge Gaunt in Act 1, Scene 3?
10. Why does Trock want to wait until the rain slacks up before he leaves the apartment in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the factors which motivate the characters in the play. How do these motivations develop and change through the course of the play. What lessons are learned by the characters as their motivations change?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflict between love and duty in the play. Compare Mio and Miriamne's attitude towards love and duty in Act 2 with their attitudes at the end of Act 3. What role does the conflict between love and duty play in the final outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the relationships between fathers and sons in the play. How do Mio and Garth's experiences with murder affect their relationships with their fathers? Which son appears to value his father more and why?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)