|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character's nosiness is annoying both Trock and Garth?
2. What does Garth confess to Miriamne at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Why does Shadow think Trock should be "full of high thought?"
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, why are both Trock and Garth unhappy?
5. What explanation does Trock give for returning to the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mio visit the apartment in the beginning of Act 2?
2. How does Judge Gaunt react to Mio's death threat in the beginning of Act 2?
3. What is Mio's opinion of his father's trial?
4. Why does Trock shout at the city in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. How does Miriamne react to Shadow's eulogy?
6. In Act 1, Scene 2, what advice does Esdras give Garth about his sense of guilt?
7. What threat does Trock make towards Shadow near the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
8. Describe Piny.
9. Why is Mio murdered?
10. How does Shadow attempt to keep Trock out of trouble?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the setting of the play is designed to affect the mood of the drama. How do the character's placement onstage (blocking) affect the mood of the play? What role does music play in setting the mood of the play? How does mood and setting help express the themes being presented as the scenes change?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the relationships between fathers and sons in the play. How do Mio and Garth's experiences with murder affect their relationships with their fathers? Which son appears to value his father more and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Anderson's style of writing imitates that of Shakespeare. How does Anderson's use of language, sentence structure, dramatic conventions, and character development mimic that of Shakespeare? What philosophies do Anderson and Shakespeare seem to share?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)