|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on Trock's speech and mannerisms, how does he appear to be feeling in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. Why does Trock shout in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Who sent Garth a letter?
4. In Act 1, Scene 1, what do Trock and Shadow do when they see Lucia?
5. What did Garth do to the letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Mio, what destroyed his father?
2. How does Mio react to Judge Gaunt's opinion of the Romanga case?
3. In Act 1, Scene 1, how does Lucia view Trock and Shadow?
4. In Act 1, Scene 1, how does Piny view Trock and Shadow?
5. What point does Esdras make about justice in his final monologue?
6. What is Judge Gaunt's opinion of the Romanga case?
7. What threat does Trock make towards Shadow near the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
8. Why does Mio visit the apartment in the beginning of Act 2?
9. What happens to Shadow at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
10. Why does Trock want to wait until the rain slacks up before he leaves the apartment in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the balance between hope and despair evident in the play. How does the action and dialogue of the play affect that balance? How is the balance between hope and despair used to express the themes of the play? In the end, which emotion do the remaining characters experience and why?
Essay Topic 2
How are suspense and fear used to motivate characters and progress the action of the play? How is suspense built onstage by using offstage characters and sounds? How does suspense add interest to the play and help express the themes of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how radical behavior among the characters (radicalism) is used to express the themes of the play. What is the rationale behind the radical behavior exhibited by some characters? How might Anderson's personal experiences have affected his characters' acceptance of radicalism?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)