|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month is Act 1, Scene 1 set?
2. Who is sitting alone at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Act 1, Scene 1, what revelation does Trock give Shadow about his personal life?
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, to what does Garth attribute his father's fears?
5. What does Garth know about Romagna?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Mio, what destroyed his father?
2. What was in the letter Miriamne found on Garth's floor?
3. Why does Miriamne suddenly tell Mio she can no longer see him near the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What does Esdras do for Judge Gaunt in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. Why does Trock shout at the city in Act 1, Scene 1?
6. Why does Mio feel he is about to die in Act 3?
7. What advice does Mio offer Miriamne in Act 1, Scene 3?
8. In Act 1, Scene 1, how does Lucia view Trock and Shadow?
9. How has Professor Hobhouse unnerved both Trock and Garth?
10. What happens to Shadow at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the references to death present in the play. Compare realistic references to death with figurative references to death. What do these references foreshadow for the characters either speaking about death or the characters being referred to in the line?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Miriamne's compassion with Mio's desire for revenge. How do these two emotions conflict throughout the play? In the end, which emotion proves to be the strongest and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how radical behavior among the characters (radicalism) is used to express the themes of the play. What is the rationale behind the radical behavior exhibited by some characters? How might Anderson's personal experiences have affected his characters' acceptance of radicalism?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)