|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, what do Trock and Shadow do when they see Lucia?
2. What offense is the Radical accused of committing?
3. Who is "the doc at the gate?"
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, to what does Garth attribute his father's fears?
5. What does Garth know about Romagna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Shadow.
2. Describe Lucia.
3. How does Mio react to Judge Gaunt's opinion of the Romanga case?
4. What threat does Trock make towards Shadow near the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What advice does Mio offer Miriamne in Act 1, Scene 3?
6. Describe Judge Gaunt.
7. Describe Trock.
8. Why does Trock bring Judge Gaunt and Esdras back to the apartment in Act 2?
9. How does Judge Gaunt react to the argument between the Policeman and the other characters in Act 1, Scene 3?
10. Why is Miriamne murdered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the personal philosophies presented in the play. How do these personal philosophies evolve and what factors affect their development? Discuss the struggle between the personal philosophies of the characters and their abilities to uphold these beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the relationships between fathers and sons in the play. How do Mio and Garth's experiences with murder affect their relationships with their fathers? Which son appears to value his father more and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflict between hatred and forgiveness in the play. Describe how Mio's perceptions of hate and forgiveness change throughout the play. How does Trock's hatred affect his character and those around him? What roles do hatred and forgiveness play in the final outcome of the drama?
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)