|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explanation does Trock give for returning to the area?
2. What does Garth know about Romagna?
3. Where does Lucia imagine Trock was raised?
4. What is Garth inspecting when Miriamne arrives?
5. What did Garth do to the letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Garth tell Esdras his secret?
2. How does Mio's goal change in Act 3?
3. What is Mio's opinion of his father's trial?
4. What is Miriamne's personal philosophy about truth?
5. Why does Trock bring Judge Gaunt and Esdras back to the apartment in Act 2?
6. How does Trock's health affect his attitude?
7. How does Shadow attempt to keep Trock out of trouble?
8. What is Esdras' opinion about justice in society?
9. Why does Mio feel he is about to die in Act 3?
10. What "business" does Mio have to take care of at the end of Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are suspense and fear used to motivate characters and progress the action of the play? How is suspense built onstage by using offstage characters and sounds? How does suspense add interest to the play and help express the themes of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the setting of the play is designed to affect the mood of the drama. How do the character's placement onstage (blocking) affect the mood of the play? What role does music play in setting the mood of the play? How does mood and setting help express the themes being presented as the scenes change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the references to death present in the play. Compare realistic references to death with figurative references to death. What do these references foreshadow for the characters either speaking about death or the characters being referred to in the line?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)