|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Trock and Shadow make Piny feel?
2. What concern does Shadow have about Trock in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Which character's nosiness is annoying both Trock and Garth?
4. What is Mio's purpose in life?
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, what item is in need of repair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Trock want to wait until the rain slacks up before he leaves the apartment in Act 2?
2. Describe Shadow.
3. Why is Shadow concerned about Trock's shouting in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. Why is Miriamne's father afraid of shadows?
5. Why does Carr whistle "Star Spangled Banner" as he exits in Act 1, Scene 3?
6. How does Mio react to Judge Gaunt's opinion of the Romanga case?
7. What advice does Mio offer Miriamne in Act 1, Scene 3?
8. Describe Piny.
9. How does Mio's goal change in Act 3?
10. Why does Mio visit the apartment in the beginning of Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the references to death present in the play. Compare realistic references to death with figurative references to death. What do these references foreshadow for the characters either speaking about death or the characters being referred to in the line?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of fate and destiny in the play. What destinies are the characters fated to receive and what lessons are learned by the audience as a result? Does Anderson present destiny as a predetermined fate or a result of personal choices?
Essay Topic 3
How are suspense and fear used to motivate characters and progress the action of the play? How is suspense built onstage by using offstage characters and sounds? How does suspense add interest to the play and help express the themes of the play?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)