|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on Trock's speech and mannerisms, how does he appear to be feeling in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. Who sent Garth a letter?
3. What belief does Trock have about the local authorities?
4. Where does Lucia imagine Trock was raised?
5. What opinion does Trock have about Shadow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the conversation between Mio and Carr reveal about Mio's past in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What advice does Mio offer Miriamne in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Why is Mio murdered?
4. Why doesn't the Policeman find Shadow's body in Act 2?
5. Why does Mio pray for Esdras in Act 3?
6. Why does Mio visit the apartment in the beginning of Act 2?
7. How does Miriamne react to Shadow's eulogy?
8. What is Mio's opinion of his father's trial?
9. What is Miriamne's personal philosophy about truth?
10. In Act 1, Scene 1, how does Lucia view Trock and Shadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does truth play in the drama? How does the quest for truth motivate the characters? How does truth inspire fear among some characters? What role does truth play in the final outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the balance between hope and despair evident in the play. How does the action and dialogue of the play affect that balance? How is the balance between hope and despair used to express the themes of the play? In the end, which emotion do the remaining characters experience and why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Miriamne's compassion with Mio's desire for revenge. How do these two emotions conflict throughout the play? In the end, which emotion proves to be the strongest and why?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)