|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carr prevent the policeman from doing in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, what does Trock threaten to do to anyone who listens in on his conversation?
3. What is Garth inspecting when Miriamne arrives?
4. Based on Trock's speech and mannerisms, how does he appear to be feeling in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What did Garth do to the letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the Policeman find Shadow's body in Act 2?
2. How does Mio react to Judge Gaunt's opinion of the Romanga case?
3. What is Miriamne's personal philosophy about truth?
4. Why does Trock bring Judge Gaunt and Esdras back to the apartment in Act 2?
5. Why does Miriamne sit alone outside the apartment in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
6. What happens to Shadow at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
7. Why does Garth want to have his violin repaired?
8. What is Esdras' opinion about justice in society?
9. What point does Esdras make about justice in his final monologue?
10. What advice does Mio offer Miriamne in Act 1, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conflict between hatred and forgiveness in the play. Describe how Mio's perceptions of hate and forgiveness change throughout the play. How does Trock's hatred affect his character and those around him? What roles do hatred and forgiveness play in the final outcome of the drama?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflict between love and duty in the play. Compare Mio and Miriamne's attitude towards love and duty in Act 2 with their attitudes at the end of Act 3. What role does the conflict between love and duty play in the final outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the factors which motivate the characters in the play. How do these motivations develop and change through the course of the play. What lessons are learned by the characters as their motivations change?
This section contains 1,864 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)