|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Garth like to teach?
2. In Act 1, Scene 3, what prop does the Radical present to the Policeman?
3. What have the police told Lucia to stop doing?
4. What is referred to as a "Blind Snake" at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. In Act 1, Scene 3, who ends up angering the Policeman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Professor Hobhouse's article affected Judge Gaunt?
2. Describe Lucia.
3. How is Trock surprised in Act 2?
4. Why does Trock bring Judge Gaunt and Esdras back to the apartment in Act 2?
5. Why does Trock shout at the city in Act 1, Scene 1?
6. Why is Shadow concerned about Trock's shouting in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. Why is Mio murdered?
8. What is Esdras' opinion about justice in society?
9. Why do the Policeman and the Radical argue in Act 1, Scene 3?
10. Why doesn't the Policeman find Shadow's body in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What purpose does poetic language serve in the play? At what points is prose interspersed with verse? How is prose used in the play? Why did Anderson choose to switch between the use of verse and prose?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the relationships between fathers and sons in the play. How do Mio and Garth's experiences with murder affect their relationships with their fathers? Which son appears to value his father more and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the factors which motivate the characters in the play. How do these motivations develop and change through the course of the play. What lessons are learned by the characters as their motivations change?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)