|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Act 1, Scene 1 set?
2. In Act 1, Scene 3, who is looking for the two girls from the beginning of the scene?
3. In Act 1, Scene 1, what do Trock and Shadow do when they see Lucia?
4. Why does Trock feel poisoned?
5. What does Garth know about Romagna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mio's personal philosophy about faith?
2. How does Judge Gaunt react to the argument between the Policeman and the other characters in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Why is Miriamne murdered?
4. What is Miriamne's personal philosophy about truth?
5. What was in the letter Miriamne found on Garth's floor?
6. How do the characters react to the order that is given to Lucia in Act 1, Scene 3?
7. What "business" does Mio have to take care of at the end of Act 1?
8. What happens to Shadow at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
9. Why is Miriamne's father afraid of shadows?
10. What is Esdras' opinion about justice in society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the personal philosophies presented in the play. How do these personal philosophies evolve and what factors affect their development? Discuss the struggle between the personal philosophies of the characters and their abilities to uphold these beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Miriamne's compassion with Mio's desire for revenge. How do these two emotions conflict throughout the play? In the end, which emotion proves to be the strongest and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of irony in the play. What ironies result from the conflict between Mio's desire for revenge and his love for Miriamne? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the play? Is irony an effective tool for changing behavior?
This section contains 1,964 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)