|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Trock respond to Shadow's concern in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, who asks Miriamne to leave the room?
3. Who sent Garth a letter?
4. What does Mio believe the police know about his father?
5. What time of day does the play open?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Garth want to have his violin repaired?
2. How is Miriamne in the way of Mio's goal?
3. Why does Miriamne sit alone outside the apartment in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
4. Why does Carr whistle "Star Spangled Banner" as he exits in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What is Miriamne's personal philosophy about truth?
6. How has Professor Hobhouse's article affected Judge Gaunt?
7. Why does Mio feel he is about to die in Act 3?
8. Describe Judge Gaunt.
9. Describe Mio's eulogy for Shadow.
10. What is Judge Gaunt's opinion of the Romanga case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how radical behavior among the characters (radicalism) is used to express the themes of the play. What is the rationale behind the radical behavior exhibited by some characters? How might Anderson's personal experiences have affected his characters' acceptance of radicalism?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how deception is used among the characters in the drama. What contrasts in attitude exist about the acceptance of deception as a tool? What role does deception play in the final outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Anderson's style of writing imitates that of Shakespeare. How does Anderson's use of language, sentence structure, dramatic conventions, and character development mimic that of Shakespeare? What philosophies do Anderson and Shakespeare seem to share?
This section contains 2,012 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)