|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 3, who calls Miriamne back into the apartment?
2. What type of language is used in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. What does Trock tell the Two Young Men to do in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. How do Trock and Shadow make Piny feel?
5. What does Gaunt ask the Tramp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Garth want to have his violin repaired?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, what advice does Esdras give Garth about his sense of guilt?
3. Why did Garth tell Esdras his secret?
4. What point does Esdras make about justice in his final monologue?
5. How does Trock's health affect his attitude?
6. Why does Carr whistle "Star Spangled Banner" as he exits in Act 1, Scene 3?
7. What was in the letter Miriamne found on Garth's floor?
8. Why does Trock bring Judge Gaunt and Esdras back to the apartment in Act 2?
9. Describe Shadow.
10. Describe Mio's eulogy for Shadow.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does truth play in the drama? How does the quest for truth motivate the characters? How does truth inspire fear among some characters? What role does truth play in the final outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how deception is used among the characters in the drama. What contrasts in attitude exist about the acceptance of deception as a tool? What role does deception play in the final outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of fate and destiny in the play. What destinies are the characters fated to receive and what lessons are learned by the audience as a result? Does Anderson present destiny as a predetermined fate or a result of personal choices?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)