|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mio's purpose in life?
2. Who is Mio?
3. What offense is the Radical accused of committing?
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, what prop does the Radical present to the Policeman?
5. What are the two girls in Act 1, Scene 3 discussing as they pass the Tramp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Judge Gaunt.
2. Describe Piny.
3. In Act 1, Scene 1, how does Lucia view Trock and Shadow?
4. What advice does Lucia give Piny in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. How do the characters react to the order that is given to Lucia in Act 1, Scene 3?
6. What threat does Trock make towards Shadow near the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
7. Describe Trock.
8. Why did Garth tell Esdras his secret?
9. How does Trock's health affect his attitude?
10. In Act 2, what delusion does Mio join in with the judge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conflict between love and duty in the play. Compare Mio and Miriamne's attitude towards love and duty in Act 2 with their attitudes at the end of Act 3. What role does the conflict between love and duty play in the final outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of fate and destiny in the play. What destinies are the characters fated to receive and what lessons are learned by the audience as a result? Does Anderson present destiny as a predetermined fate or a result of personal choices?
Essay Topic 3
How are suspense and fear used to motivate characters and progress the action of the play? How is suspense built onstage by using offstage characters and sounds? How does suspense add interest to the play and help express the themes of the play?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)