|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Trock shout in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. In Act 1, Scene 3, what prop does the Radical present to the Policeman?
3. How does Miriamne know about the letter?
4. Who does Esdras bring into the apartment?
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, who asks Miriamne to leave the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Judge Gaunt's opinion of the Romanga case?
2. Why does Miriamne sit alone outside the apartment in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
3. How is Miriamne in the way of Mio's goal?
4. Why do the Policeman and the Radical argue in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. How does Judge Gaunt react to the argument between the Policeman and the other characters in Act 1, Scene 3?
6. How does Trock's health affect his attitude?
7. How do the characters react to the order that is given to Lucia in Act 1, Scene 3?
8. In Act 1, Scene 1, how does Lucia view Trock and Shadow?
9. Why does Trock shout at the city in Act 1, Scene 1?
10. Why doesn't the Policeman find Shadow's body in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Anderson's style of writing imitates that of Shakespeare. How does Anderson's use of language, sentence structure, dramatic conventions, and character development mimic that of Shakespeare? What philosophies do Anderson and Shakespeare seem to share?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the balance between hope and despair evident in the play. How does the action and dialogue of the play affect that balance? How is the balance between hope and despair used to express the themes of the play? In the end, which emotion do the remaining characters experience and why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Miriamne's compassion with Mio's desire for revenge. How do these two emotions conflict throughout the play? In the end, which emotion proves to be the strongest and why?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)