Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explanation does Trock give for returning to the area?
2. Who sent Garth a letter?
3. In Act 1, Scene 3, who begins to defend the Policeman?
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, to what does Garth attribute his father's fears?
5. What does Garth know about Romagna?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, how does Piny view Trock and Shadow?
2. How is Miriamne in the way of Mio's goal?
3. Why does Garth want to have his violin repaired?
4. Why does Miriamne suddenly tell Mio she can no longer see him near the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
5. How does Shadow attempt to keep Trock out of trouble?
6. What was in the letter Miriamne found on Garth's floor?
7. How does Miriamne attempt to cheer Mio after Judge Gaunt and Esdras leave the apartment in the middle of Act 2?
8. Why does Miriamne sit alone outside the apartment in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
9. In Act 1, Scene 1, how does Lucia view Trock and Shadow?
10. What does Garth confess to Miriamne in Act 1, Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of irony in the play. What ironies result from the conflict between Mio's desire for revenge and his love for Miriamne? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the play? Is irony an effective tool for changing behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the balance between hope and despair evident in the play. How does the action and dialogue of the play affect that balance? How is the balance between hope and despair used to express the themes of the play? In the end, which emotion do the remaining characters experience and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Anderson's style of writing imitates that of Shakespeare. How does Anderson's use of language, sentence structure, dramatic conventions, and character development mimic that of Shakespeare? What philosophies do Anderson and Shakespeare seem to share?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)