|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Miriamne know about the letter?
2. What does Mio believe the police know about his father?
3. Who enters the room with Trock in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Who dances with Miriamne during Lucia's last performance?
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, who asks Miriamne to leave the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was in the letter Miriamne found on Garth's floor?
2. Describe Mio's eulogy for Shadow.
3. What is Mio's personal philosophy about faith?
4. What advice does Mio offer Miriamne in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What is Judge Gaunt's opinion of the Romanga case?
6. What does Garth confess to Miriamne in Act 1, Scene 2?
7. How does Trock's health affect his attitude?
8. What does Esdras do for Judge Gaunt in Act 1, Scene 3?
9. Describe Shadow.
10. Why does Mio feel he is about to die in Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What purpose does poetic language serve in the play? At what points is prose interspersed with verse? How is prose used in the play? Why did Anderson choose to switch between the use of verse and prose?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflict between hatred and forgiveness in the play. Describe how Mio's perceptions of hate and forgiveness change throughout the play. How does Trock's hatred affect his character and those around him? What roles do hatred and forgiveness play in the final outcome of the drama?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the factors which motivate the characters in the play. How do these motivations develop and change through the course of the play. What lessons are learned by the characters as their motivations change?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)