|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offense is the Radical accused of committing?
2. What does Lucia tell Piny to do at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Where does Garth tell Miriamne to go in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, who follows Miriamne without success?
5. Where is Act 1, Scene 3 set?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lucia.
2. Why does Mio visit the apartment in the beginning of Act 2?
3. Describe Trock.
4. What does Esdras do for Judge Gaunt in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What advice does Lucia give Piny in Act 1, Scene 1?
6. Why does Miriamne sit alone outside the apartment in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
7. Describe Shadow.
8. Why does Mio feel he is about to die in Act 3?
9. Why does Trock bring Judge Gaunt and Esdras back to the apartment in Act 2?
10. How has Professor Hobhouse unnerved both Trock and Garth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the balance between hope and despair evident in the play. How does the action and dialogue of the play affect that balance? How is the balance between hope and despair used to express the themes of the play? In the end, which emotion do the remaining characters experience and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the factors which motivate the characters in the play. How do these motivations develop and change through the course of the play. What lessons are learned by the characters as their motivations change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the personal philosophies presented in the play. How do these personal philosophies evolve and what factors affect their development? Discuss the struggle between the personal philosophies of the characters and their abilities to uphold these beliefs.
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)