|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mio?
2. Who enters the room with Trock in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What does Piny sell?
4. What advice is given to Garth in the letter?
5. What does Lucia tell Piny to do at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, how does Lucia view Trock and Shadow?
2. Describe Trock.
3. Why did Garth tell Esdras his secret?
4. How do the characters react to the order that is given to Lucia in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What is Esdras' opinion about justice in society?
6. How does Miriamne attempt to cheer Mio after Judge Gaunt and Esdras leave the apartment in the middle of Act 2?
7. What threat does Trock make towards Shadow near the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
8. What is Mio's opinion of his father's trial?
9. How has Professor Hobhouse unnerved both Trock and Garth?
10. What advice does Mio offer Miriamne in Act 1, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the factors which motivate the characters in the play. How do these motivations develop and change through the course of the play. What lessons are learned by the characters as their motivations change?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the balance between hope and despair evident in the play. How does the action and dialogue of the play affect that balance? How is the balance between hope and despair used to express the themes of the play? In the end, which emotion do the remaining characters experience and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of the relationships between fathers and sons in the play. How do Mio and Garth's experiences with murder affect their relationships with their fathers? Which son appears to value his father more and why?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)