Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explanation does Trock give for returning to the area?
2. Who sent Garth a letter?
3. In Act 1, Scene 3, who begins to defend the Policeman?
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, to what does Garth attribute his father's fears?
5. What does Garth know about Romagna?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, how does Piny view Trock and Shadow?
2. How is Miriamne in the way of Mio's goal?
3. Why does Garth want to have his violin repaired?
4. Why does Miriamne suddenly tell Mio she can no longer see him near the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
5. How does Shadow attempt to keep Trock out of trouble?
6. What was in the letter Miriamne found on Garth's floor?
7. How does Miriamne attempt to cheer Mio after Judge Gaunt and Esdras leave the apartment in the middle of Act 2?
8. Why does Miriamne sit alone outside the apartment in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
9. In Act 1, Scene 1, how does Lucia view Trock and Shadow?
10. What does Garth confess to Miriamne in Act 1, Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conflict between love and duty in the play. Compare Mio and Miriamne's attitude towards love and duty in Act 2 with their attitudes at the end of Act 3. What role does the conflict between love and duty play in the final outcome of the play?
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does poetic language serve in the play? At what points is prose interspersed with verse? How is prose used in the play? Why did Anderson choose to switch between the use of verse and prose?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how class differences are demonstrated and utilized in the play. How do the privileged characters treat the disadvantaged characters? How do the disadvantaged characters treat the privileged characters? Is privilege presented as a result of choice or fate?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)