Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explanation does Trock give for returning to the area?
2. Who sent Garth a letter?
3. In Act 1, Scene 3, who begins to defend the Policeman?
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, to what does Garth attribute his father's fears?
5. What does Garth know about Romagna?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, how does Piny view Trock and Shadow?
2. How is Miriamne in the way of Mio's goal?
3. Why does Garth want to have his violin repaired?
4. Why does Miriamne suddenly tell Mio she can no longer see him near the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
5. How does Shadow attempt to keep Trock out of trouble?
6. What was in the letter Miriamne found on Garth's floor?
7. How does Miriamne attempt to cheer Mio after Judge Gaunt and Esdras leave the apartment in the middle of Act 2?
8. Why does Miriamne sit alone outside the apartment in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
9. In Act 1, Scene 1, how does Lucia view Trock and Shadow?
10. What does Garth confess to Miriamne in Act 1, Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
Describe how radical behavior among the characters (radicalism) is used to express the themes of the play. What is the rationale behind the radical behavior exhibited by some characters? How might Anderson's personal experiences have affected his characters' acceptance of radicalism?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Anderson's style of writing imitates that of Shakespeare. How does Anderson's use of language, sentence structure, dramatic conventions, and character development mimic that of Shakespeare? What philosophies do Anderson and Shakespeare seem to share?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Miriamne's compassion with Mio's desire for revenge. How do these two emotions conflict throughout the play? In the end, which emotion proves to be the strongest and why?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)