|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Act 1, Scene 1 set?
(a) On top of the bridge.
(b) In a basement apartment near the bridge.
(c) On the roof of the tenement building.
(d) On the banks of a river under a bridge.
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, what item is in need of repair?
(a) The front door of the apartment.
(b) The kitchen sink.
(c) The piano.
(d) The violin.
3. In Act 1, Scene 3, who ends up angering the Policeman?
4. What claim does Garth make about his future in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He would like to be a teacher.
(b) He wants revenge.
(c) He wants to leave his life of crime behind him.
(d) The end is near.
5. Who sent Garth a letter?
(a) A lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two girls in Act 1, Scene 3 discussing as they pass the Tramp?
2. What does Trock ask both Esdras and Miriamne to do in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What does Garth confess to Miriamne at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. In Act 1, Scene 1, where are the Two Young Men?
5. What did Garth do to the letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Policeman and the Radical argue in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Why does Miriamne suddenly tell Mio she can no longer see him near the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
3. In Act 1, Scene 3, what have the authorities ordered Lucia to do?
4. What does Garth confess to Miriamne in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Why does Trock shout at the city in Act 1, Scene 1?
6. Describe Shadow.
7. How does Judge Gaunt react to the argument between the Policeman and the other characters in Act 1, Scene 3?
8. Why is Miriamne murdered?
9. What "business" does Mio have to take care of at the end of Act 1?
10. Why is Mio murdered?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)