|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Miriamne kiss in Act 1, Scene 3?
(b) A sailor.
2. What did Mio's father leave behind when he died?
(b) A letter.
(c) A trust fund.
(d) His love.
3. What does Miriamne's name mean?
(a) Little Miriam.
(b) Sea of Bitterness.
(c) Little Light.
(d) Daughter of Light.
4. In Act 2, how does Miriamne entice Mio to stay?
(a) She hints that she will reveal more information.
(b) She offers to share her bed.
(c) She offers him a hot meal.
(d) She kisses him.
5. In Act 2, why doesn't Trock leave in the rain?
(a) He fears ruining the letter.
(b) He sees the policeman waiting outside.
(c) He doesn't want his hair to get wet.
(d) It takes ten days off his life.
6. Who tells Mio to leave the apartment?
7. What is Mio's opinion of faith?
(a) Faith is a refuge for the crippled.
(b) Faith is the root of life's tree.
(c) Faith is only as strong as the will.
(d) Faith is easy for a fool.
8. How does Judge Gaunt explain Mio's murderous threats?
(a) Mio's father was a murderer.
(b) Mio wants to die.
(c) Justice is hard to swallow.
(d) Mio is insane.
9. Who picks up Trock's dropped gun?
(b) The Tramp.
10. Which character are the Policeman and the Sergeant searching for in Act 2?
(c) Judge Gaunt.
11. Why didn't Miriamne tell the police the truth about Garth?
(a) She couldn't turn her brother in.
(b) She hates the police.
(c) She feared for his life.
(d) To honor her father.
12. In Act 2, which character does Miriamne fear will attempt to hurt Garth?
13. In Act 2, who does Trock follow back into the apartment?
(a) Lucia and Piny.
(b) Esdras and Judge Gaunt.
(c) Garth and Shadow.
(d) Mio and Miriamne.
14. What announcement does Carr make at the end of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Esdras is dead.
(b) Esdras fell in the river.
(c) Someone has been shot.
(d) There has been a wreck.
15. In Act 2, which character does Miriamne describe as "a king among men?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Tramp laugh at the judge in Act 2?
2. In Act 1, Scene 3, whom does Shadow say he is keeping out of trouble?
3. Which characters tell Mio his father was guilty?
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, what is heard after Trock exits?
5. According to Mio, who destroyed his father?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)