|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Act 1, Scene 2 set?
(a) On top of the bridge.
(b) On the banks of a river under a bridge.
(c) On the roof of the tenement building.
(d) In a basement apartment near the bridge.
2. Who is "the doc at the gate?"
(a) Saint Peter.
(b) The doorman of the apartment.
(c) The prison doctor.
(d) The physician at the local hospital.
3. What does Gaunt ask the Tramp?
(a) For the time.
(b) The name of the street.
(c) If he has seen Garth.
(d) If he has seen Esdras.
4. What does Lucia tell Piny to do at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Ignore Trock.
(b) Look on the bright side.
(c) Pass the peas.
(d) Fetch the police.
5. Who is Judge Gaunt?
(a) The judge at Romagna's trial.
(b) Garth's upstairs neighbor.
(c) The judge who sent Garth to jail.
(d) The judge who sentenced Trock to prison.
6. In Act 1, Scene 2, to what does Garth attribute his father's fears?
(a) The cost of repairs.
(b) The weather.
(c) The bill collector.
(d) Miriamne's absence.
7. What is referred to as a "Blind Snake" at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(c) The river.
(d) Trock's demeanor.
8. Who is Mio?
(a) Romagna's son.
(b) Garth's half-brother.
(c) A gang member.
(d) Carr's cousin.
9. What does Garth confess to Miriamne at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He would rather die than go back to prison.
(b) He is afraid of Trock.
(c) He was an accessory to murder during a robbery.
(d) He is ready to leave town.
10. In Act 1, Scene 2, who asks Miriamne to leave the room?
(d) No one.
11. How do Trock and Shadow make Piny feel?
12. Why does Trock fear death?
(a) He knows he would be executed if sent back to prison.
(b) He is too young to die.
(c) His father died before he had a chance to really live.
(d) He has no faith.
13. How is Miriamne related to Garth?
(a) She is Garth's fiancée.
(b) She and Garth are lovers.
(c) She is Garth's cousin.
(d) She is Garth's sister.
14. What does Carr prevent the policeman from doing in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Arresting Miriamne.
(b) Gassing the crowd.
(c) Striking Piny.
(d) Striking Mio.
15. How does Garth defend himself against Trock's accusations?
(a) He points out that Romagna is already dead.
(b) He lists all the things he has done for Trock.
(c) He points out that he destroyed the letter.
(d) He reminds Trock who is the leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Miriamne want to come back inside the apartment?
2. What did Garth do to the letter?
3. Why does Shadow think Trock should be "full of high thought?"
4. Whom does the Radical accuse of capitalist oppression?
5. What are the two girls in Act 1, Scene 3 discussing as they pass the Tramp?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)