|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What explanation does Trock give for returning to the area?
(a) His doctor recommended local treatment.
(b) He is in love.
(c) He wants to reconnect with his childhood.
(d) He wants to find out if there is any evidence to convict him.
2. Where is Act 1, Scene 1 set?
(a) In a basement apartment near the bridge.
(b) On top of the bridge.
(c) On the roof of the tenement building.
(d) On the banks of a river under a bridge.
3. In Act 1, Scene 2, who asks Miriamne to leave the room?
(b) No one.
4. What did Garth do to the letter?
(a) He hid it under his mattress.
(b) He burned it.
(c) He tore it up.
(d) He flushed it down the commode.
5. What does Gaunt ask the Tramp?
(a) If he has seen Esdras.
(b) The name of the street.
(c) If he has seen Garth.
(d) For the time.
6. What would Garth like to teach?
(a) Piano lessons.
(b) Elementary school.
(c) Violin lessons.
7. How do Trock and Shadow make Piny feel?
8. What time of day does the play open?
(a) Late afternoon.
(b) Early morning.
(c) Early evening.
9. What does Trock tell Shadow will happen in six months?
(a) He will get married.
(b) He will die.
(c) He will be tried for murder.
(d) The world will end.
10. Who is Judge Gaunt?
(a) The judge at Romagna's trial.
(b) The judge who sentenced Trock to prison.
(c) The judge who sent Garth to jail.
(d) Garth's upstairs neighbor.
11. What comfort does Shadow offer Trock in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) True love always waits.
(b) There is no evidence to convict him.
(c) He is young and will heal.
(d) His friends will remember him.
12. Who is sitting alone at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
13. How does Shadow describe Trock in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) The most fascinating and annoying person he knows.
(b) As a true friend.
(c) As the skinny kind that lives forever.
(d) A real pip.
14. What are the two girls in Act 1, Scene 3 discussing as they pass the Tramp?
(a) Lucia's music.
(b) The cost of apples.
(c) A marriage proposal.
(d) The murder trial.
15. What does Lucia tell Piny to do at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Look on the bright side.
(b) Ignore Trock.
(c) Fetch the police.
(d) Pass the peas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Act 1, Scene 2 set?
2. What does Carr prevent the policeman from doing in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Why does Shadow think Trock should be "full of high thought?"
4. What does Lucia get to do "every day in every way?"
5. What type of language is used in Act 1, Scene 1?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)