|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sammy react to Al having gone to see his mother?
2. How does Al feel about The Guild?
3. In Chapter Ten, how does Al feel about meeting up with Sammy?
4. Where did Sammy get his name?
5. In Chapter Eight, who does Al get a job with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sammy Glick and Al Manheim are the most important characters in the story, "What Makes Sammy Run?" Compare and contrast Sammy and Al. How are they the same? How are they different? Who is more successful in the end? Give several examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following institutions in the novel and what they represent.
1. The Media: newspaper and theater
2. Hollywood: the people and the city
3. The Writer's Guild
Essay Topic 3
Al Manheim is fascinated by Sammy Glick's motivated attitude. Al constantly asks himself the same question, "What Makes Sammy Run?" Sammy's running is symbolic. Discuss the significance of this. Answer Al's question of what makes Sammy run. Consider discussing themes of societal pressure, greed and success.
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)