|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Sheik beat up Sammy every day of their childhood?
2. In Chapter Eleven, when Sammy tells Al he has everything, what is he referring to?
3. What does Sidney Fineman do for Kit and Sammy?
4. By the end of Chapter Nine, how does Al begin to think of Sammy?
5. What kind of tensions does The Guild experience in Chapter Seven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of broken promises occurs several times in the novel, "What Makes Sammy Run?" Site three examples of a broken promise in the novel, and how they affect the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following institutions in the novel and what they represent.
1. The Media: newspaper and theater
2. Hollywood: the people and the city
3. The Writer's Guild
Essay Topic 3
When Al returns to New York City, he visits Sammy Glick's old home. What does Al come to realize about Sammy Glick during his visit? Be sure to discuss the social/ economic background Sammy comes from and how it shapes his character.
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)