|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Al feel about The Guild?
2. What kind of job did Sammy work as a boy?
3. By the end of Chapter Nine, how does Al begin to think of Sammy?
4. In Chapter Eight, when they are at lunch, what news does Julian give to Al and Sammy?
5. In Chapter Eight, what does Sammy insist on Al's first day at his new job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Al returns to New York City, he visits Sammy Glick's old home. What does Al come to realize about Sammy Glick during his visit? Be sure to discuss the social/ economic background Sammy comes from and how it shapes his character.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of broken promises occurs several times in the novel, "What Makes Sammy Run?" Site three examples of a broken promise in the novel, and how they affect the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Al and Kit's relationship slowly develops throughout the story. Cite three scenes (one from the beginning, one from the middle, and one from the end) in which Al and Kit interact. Explore how these scenes develop their relationship.
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)