|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By Chapter Eleven, how does Sammy feel about Sidney Fineman?
2. How does Harrington feel about Sammy marrying his daughter?
3. In Chapter Nine. what does Sammy's brother, Israel, tell Al about the relationship Sammy had with their father?
4. Where does Al work when he returns to New York?
5. In Chapter Seven, how does Al believe Kit views their relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Al and Kit's relationship slowly develops throughout the story. Cite three scenes (one from the beginning, one from the middle, and one from the end) in which Al and Kit interact. Explore how these scenes develop their relationship.
Essay Topic 2
On several occasions Al Manheim uses the term "dog eat dog world." Discuss the significance of this term in the novel, "What Makes Sammy Run?" Cite three examples of how the "dog eat dog world" affects characters in the story.
Essay Topic 3
On several occasions Al Manheim ruminates on "The American Dream" in this story. How is "The American Dream" an important theme? Discuss the way the theme affects the characters in the novel.
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)