|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Al mean when he says his own voice is filled with inadequacy?
2. What is Al's impression of Rosalie when the two meet for dinner in Chapter Three?
3. After Sammy's movie has been shown and they are discussing the review, why does Sammy get upset with Al?
4. What does Julian's wife make him do when he doesn't hear from Sammy about work in Hollywood?
5. Why doesn't Sammy think Rosalie should move to Hollywood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Sammy asks Al to introduce him to Mr. Opdyke at Sammy's birthday dinner?
2. After Sammy talks to the agent about Julian's manuscript, in Chapter Two, Al asks Sammy if he is scared. Then Al asks him what he was thinking of. How does Sammy answer?
3. Why does Julian invite Kit and Al over to his house for lunch in Chapter Eight?
4. What is Kit and Sammy's first interaction with one another like?
5. Why does Al get upset with Sammy about the tickets he gives to him in Chapter One?
6. By Chapter Six, how has Sammy mistreated Julian?
7. What happens between Sammy and Fineman at the preview of Sammy's movie in Chapter Eleven?
8. What reasons does Sammy give Al for offering him the film writing job in Chapter Ten?
9. How does Al feel when he first returns to New York?
10. Why does Al believe Sammy is hiring him for the film writing job in Chapter Ten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is an important theme in the novel, "What Makes Sammy Run?" Discuss the theme of friendship and trust in the story. Choose two sets of characters and explain their friendship and the trust/ distrust they have with one another.
Essay Topic 2
On several occasions Al Manheim uses the term "dog eat dog world." Discuss the significance of this term in the novel, "What Makes Sammy Run?" Cite three examples of how the "dog eat dog world" affects characters in the story.
Essay Topic 3
The novel "What Makes Sammy Run?" illustrates a stark contrast between poverty and wealth. Discuss the use and meaning of three material objects in the novel. How do they reflect wealth or poverty?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)