|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Al propose to Kit in Chapter Twelve?
(a) They sabotage Sammy's life.
(b) Professional partnership.
(d) She take flying lessons.
2. In Chapter Eleven, what happens between Sammy and Laurette at the party?
(a) She tells him about a secret deal then leaves.
(b) She slaps him in the face because he offends her.
(c) He is threatened by her so he has Al talk to her.
(d) They are both charmed by one another.
3. Where does Al work when he returns to New York?
(a) He becomes a novelist.
(b) His old job at The Record.
(c) He writes Broadway shows.
(d) He works at a shoe store.
4. Who does The Guild seek help from?
(a) The Northern Author's League.
(b) The Bank of Hollywood.
(c) The Southern Writer's Association.
(d) The Los Angeles Writer's Association.
5. What do Al and Kit talk about when they walk to the beach?
(a) Running away together.
(b) Sammy's success.
(c) The state of The Writer's Guild.
(d) Selling out to write for a bigger corporation.
6. In Chapter Nine, what do Al and his friends debate over when they go out for drinks?
(a) Whether or not Al will ever make it big.
(b) Where Sammy is from.
(c) When Sammy will leave Hollywood.
(d) Whether or not Rosalie Goldbaum has passed away.
7. Why does Sammy call Billie in Chapter Twelve?
(a) Al admits it's Billie he's really in love with and not Kit.
(b) He wants to have an affair with her.
(c) He needs her to act in his new movie.
(d) He wants her to make his wife jealous.
8. What does Sammy tell Al when Al asks him if he loves Ruth Mintz?
(a) He would rather have Kit.
(b) He doesn't know what love is.
(c) He says she is the woman of his dreams.
(d) He asks how he would have time to love anyone.
9. How does Al feel about his first project at his new job in Chapter Eight?
(a) He is full of distrust and wonders when he will get ahead.
(b) He is intimidated by everyone.
(c) Al learns Fineman is a talented producer and he's enthusiastic to work with him.
(d) Al doesn't care what he has to do. He is happy to have any kind of work.
10. Why didn't Sammy have his Bar-mitzvah?
(a) His parents could not afford it.
(b) The Rabbi caught Sammy stealing from the temple.
(c) The Rabbi told his father Sammy was not allowed because he did not practice his faith.
(d) Sammy refused because he did not believe in it.
11. In Chapter Eleven, when Al asks Sammy why he cares what Al thinks, how does Sammy answer?
(a) He tells him Al is his only friend.
(b) He tells him he doesn't care what Al thinks, but he needs him in his life.
(c) He says Al is his entire world.
(d) He says he knows with Al he will be successful.
12. What is Sammy and Laurette's wedding like?
(a) They get married in Mexico on the beach.
(b) A private affair.
(c) Small and modest.
(d) Lavish and a big production.
13. What kind of job did Sammy work as a boy?
(a) A babysitter.
(b) He volunteered at the temple.
(c) A messenger.
(d) A yardboy.
14. In Chapter Eight, when they are at lunch, what news does Julian give to Al and Sammy?
(a) He has left his wife for Billie.
(b) He and his wife have bought a cottage and they are having a baby.
(c) He has decided to quit and return to New York City.
(d) He is very ill.
15. What does Al tell Mrs. Glickstein when she asks about Sammy in Chapter Nine?
(a) Sammy is never satisfied.
(b) Sammy is a liar and he'll get what he deserves.
(c) Sammy holds himself on a pedestal.
(d) Sammy is doing well and Sammy is always thinking of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kit propose at The Guild meeting in Chapter Eight?
2. By the end of Chapter Nine, how does Al begin to think of Sammy?
3. What happens when Al meets up with Billie in Chapter Seven?
4. How does Al react when Sammy accuses him of hating his guts in Chapter Twelve?
5. What does Kit say the three things Hollywood turns out?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)