|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Al feel about going back to Hollywood in Chapter Ten?
(a) Sick to his stomach.
(b) He wants to do it right this time.
(c) He is afraid he is a heel, but he knows he has to go so he can get back to Kit.
(d) As if he doesn't know what is waiting for him.
2. Some of the members of the Guild want to exclude others. Who do they want to exclude?
(a) Writers from the South.
(b) Unpublished writers and writers who are still in school.
(c) Writers who are not wealthy and those who are outsiders.
(d) Wealthy writers and those in the big business.
3. In the end of the book, what realization does Al come to about Sammy?
(a) Sammy is all alone.
(b) He is just as successful as Sammy.
(c) Sammy is heartless.
(d) Sammy is his only true friend.
4. In Chapter Seven, why does Al feel pressure at work?
(a) His boss wants him to cut all ties with Sammy.
(b) He has writer's block.
(c) He has been caught stealing money from the company.
(d) He is afraid his position will be cut because his work has only been somewhat successful.
5. In Chapter Nine. what does Sammy's brother, Israel, tell Al about the relationship Sammy had with their father?
(a) Sammy broke their father's heart.
(b) Sammy was the favorite child from the start.
(c) Sammy had respect for his father and the respect was mutual.
(d) When their father was alive Sammy was a different person, but he became greedy once he was gone.
6. Why didn't Sammy have his Bar-mitzvah?
(a) His parents could not afford it.
(b) The Rabbi told his father Sammy was not allowed because he did not practice his faith.
(c) The Rabbi caught Sammy stealing from the temple.
(d) Sammy refused because he did not believe in it.
7. How is Sammy tricked by Laurette when she says she was looking at pictures all day in Chapter Eleven?
(a) She is lying to get him to fall in love with her.
(b) She reels him in so that she can hurt him later.
(c) He believes she is trying to flatter him.
(d) He thinks she is talking about the movies.
8. Who greets Al when Al goes to Sammy's apartment in New York in Chapter Ten?
(b) Sheik Duncan, Sammy's childhood arch bully.
(c) Israel Glickstein, Sammy's brother.
(d) Sammy himself.
9. What happens after The Guild meeting in Chapter Eight?
(a) A large number of people resign, including Sammy Glick.
(b) Julian runs for president of The Guild.
(c) Al has a nervous breakdown.
(d) A corporate company proposes a partnership with The Guild.
10. What rumor follows Sidney Fineman's death?
(a) He stole Sammy's idea for his last movie.
(b) Sammy posioned him.
(c) He committed suicide.
(d) He hated his life.
11. How does Al react when Sammy accuses him of hating his guts in Chapter Twelve?
(a) He is speechless.
(b) He tells him he does hate him and spits in his face.
(c) He says he doesn't hate him, but implies that he would never be like him.
(d) He punches Sammy in the face then tells him he loves him.
12. In Chapter Nine, what do Al and his friends debate over when they go out for drinks?
(a) When Sammy will leave Hollywood.
(b) Whether or not Rosalie Goldbaum has passed away.
(c) Whether or not Al will ever make it big.
(d) Where Sammy is from.
13. By the end of Chapter Nine, how does Al begin to think of Sammy?
(a) A mentor.
(b) A sad person.
(c) A societal figure.
(d) He begins to fall in love with him.
14. When Al and Billie dance, Al begins to dream. What does he say he's dreamed about?
(a) Marrying her.
(b) Driving a steam boat.
(c) Sammy Glick climbing a rope.
(d) Taking a trip together.
15. What kind of job did Sammy work as a boy?
(a) A yardboy.
(b) He volunteered at the temple.
(c) A babysitter.
(d) A messenger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Sammy get his name?
2. In Chapter Ten, how does Al feel about meeting up with Sammy?
3. In Chapter Ten, what does Al say Hollywood is full of?
4. In Chapter Eight, what does Sammy insist on Al's first day at his new job?
5. What does Kit say the three things Hollywood turns out?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)