|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Al says he composed a short history of Sammy Glick, how does he explain Sammy's progress?
(a) Pure luck.
(b) Unexplainable and unfathomable.
(c) A series of coincidences.
(d) Very American: full of opportunity and speed.
2. Before he left for Hollywood, what kind of promises did Sammy make to Julian?
(a) Sammy made no promises to Julian.
(b) He would find a job opening for Julian in Hollywood.
(c) To pay him half of the profits from "Girl Steals Boy."
(d) He would give Julian full credit for the manuscript.
3. Why is Sammy comfortable in Hollywood?
(a) He is originally from Hollywood.
(b) He has learned the right strategies to excel.
(c) He does drugs and parties all day and night.
(d) He knows how to pretend.
4. When they are talking at lunch, what does Julian confess to Al that Sammy has stolen?
(a) His whole life.
(b) His reputation.
(c) His wife.
(d) His car.
5. What do Julian and his wife spend all of their money on?
(a) On a house in Hollywood.
(b) On suing Sammy.
(c) On starting their own publishing company in Los Angeles.
(d) On going to Hollywood in order to get in touch with Sammy.
6. In Chapter One, after Al says the world is a race to Sammy, what does he say Sammy is running against?
(a) A criminal life.
(b) The wind.
(c) The newspaper.
7. Why do people believe Sammy's lies?
(a) His good looks fool people.
(b) He is an actor.
(c) He is confident.
(d) He lacks social grace, but manages to charm people.
8. Who is Billie?
(a) A woman Sammy introduces Al to.
(b) A gold digger that is after Al.
(c) Sammy's sister.
(d) A troublemaker Sammy meets when he is partying.
9. In Chapter Two, how much does the manuscript end up selling for?
(a) Eight grand.
(b) Ten grand.
(c) Fifty thousand.
(d) Seventy thousand.
10. What decision does Julian's wife make regarding her husband's situation with Sammy in Chapter Six?
(a) She hires a lawyer who will take her to Hollywood.
(b) She packs up their car and says they will drive to Hollywood.
(c) She buys two tickets to Hollywood.
(d) She calls to confront Sammy herself and makes arrangements to meet him.
11. Why is Al having a hard time at work in Chapter Four?
(a) His producer throws his first script away and assigns him a partner.
(b) He doesn't trust anyone.
(c) His boss barely ever assigns him work.
(d) He doesn't have passion.
12. How does Al feel about Sammy helping Julian?
(a) Suspicious of Sammy's motives.
(b) Angry that Julian didn't first approach him.
(c) Excited for Sammy to have the opportunity.
(d) Indifferent towards the situation.
13. How does Sammy know Catherine Sargent?
(a) She is an author and writer for the same production company he works for.
(b) She is his agent.
(c) He meets her after he interviews her.
(d) She is a waitress at Sammy's favorite club.
14. In Chapter Two, Al asks Sammy if he is scared when he makes the phone call to sell the manuscript. How does Sammy respond?
(a) Sammy changes the subject.
(b) Sammy tells Al he got scared as soon as he hung up.
(c) Sammy closes his eyes and tells Al he poses a good question.
(d) Sammy explains to Al that he is never scared of anything.
15. After Al arrives in Hollywood, when does he meet up with Sammy in Chapter Three?
(a) At an expensive cigar club.
(b) They run into one another on the street.
(c) They meet for lunch.
(d) In a bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Al's mistake in his article?
2. When Al and Kit see Julian at the premier in Chapter Five how does he act?
3. How does Al liken himself to Sammy?
4. How does Sammy act during the premier in Chapter Five?
5. What does Al say he gives Sammy tips on?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)