|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Connor meet at the camp?
2. Who turns Risa and Connor in to the juvey-cops?
3. What is the topic of the deep conversation the boys have on the plane?
4. How is Risa treated by the counselor who interviews her?
5. How are tithes and "terribles" treated at the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 35 Lev joins the Clappers, a groups whose only mission is to cause chaos. Does this type of group fit with what the reader now knows about Lev?
2. As Lev sits in the workout room in chapter 57, how does he see his position as a tithe?
3. In chapter 28 the Unwinds meet the Admiral. Is it significant that he does not go by a name, but by a title?
4. How does Lev show that he has matured after Connor punches him in chapter 34?
5. Why does the knowledge of Connor's unwinding cause Lev to move up the detonation in chapter 62?
6. Roland is Unwound in chapter 61. How does the silence in the room effect the mood of the chapter?
7. In chapter 56 Connor discovers that there are kids missing from his dorm. Where are they?
8. How does the Admiral finally convince Connor to trust him, and spy for him, as chapter 34 unfolds?
9. In chapters 33 and 34, Risa and Connor are given work assignments. How might these assignments be a positive thing for them?
10. Why would anyone choose to sponsor an Unwind from the Graveyard as suggested by the Admiral in chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cyrus, CyFi, is a very rich character. He represents so many of the issues that are brought up in the book. CyFi's character forces Lev to reconsider many of his deeply held beliefs about himself and about Unwinds. Discuss the time that Lev and CyFi spend together traveling. Give examples of how CyFi's behavior and circumstances caused Lev to change. How does CyFi represent the author's beliefs about God and the soul? What do you think happens to CyFi after Lev leaves him in Joplin?
Essay Topic 2
In the book, unwanted babies are "storked." Meaning they are left on the doorstep of unsuspecting people's homes. In reality some states allow mothers to abandon their unwanted babies at hospitals or police stations.
1) Is this the same as "storking"? Why or why not?
2) How do you feel about "storking" as it is presented in the book? Why do you feel the way you do?
3) How do you feel about the current laws that allow children to be abandoned at hospitals and police stations? Why do you feel the way you do?
4) Come up with as solution (other than abortion or adoption) to assist unwanted children in today's society.
Essay Topic 3
While Risa is playing the piano on the roof at Happy Jack, she meets a boy named Dalton. Dalton has a plan to escape the camp when he turns 18.
Explain Dalton's plan. Do you think it will work? Why or why not? Do you think the camp will allow him to leave when he turns 18? Why or why not?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)