|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason the Admiral gives for wanting Connor on his jet?
2. What assignment does Lev volunteer to do?
3. Where are Risa and Connor finally able to meet in private?
4. What last name is given to all children who are in the custody of the state?
5. What does Connor do when he sees Lev again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important to Connor that Risa not see him being taken to the "Chop Shop"?
2. As Connor arrives at Happy Jack Harvest Camp, in chapter 51, he learns that his reputation has proceeded him. What it his reputation?
3. How does Lev show that he has matured after Connor punches him in chapter 34?
4. In chapter 34, Hayden tells Connor that he is respected because he has integrity. How has Connor shown integrity?
5. Why is Lev willing to become a suicide bomber for the Clapper cause?
6. In chapter 51 the teens are sent to Happy Jack Harvest Camp. Why is the camps so nice and colorful?
7. Roland is Unwound in chapter 61. How does the silence in the room effect the mood of the chapter?
8. Are Risa and Connor doing the right thing by staying away from each other in chapter 28?
9. Why does Risa think their new home is called the Graveyard when she sees it in chapter 28?
10. In chapters 33 and 34, Risa and Connor are given work assignments. How might these assignments be a positive thing for them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Risa is playing the piano on the roof at Happy Jack, she meets a boy named Dalton. Dalton has a plan to escape the camp when he turns 18.
Explain Dalton's plan. Do you think it will work? Why or why not? Do you think the camp will allow him to leave when he turns 18? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Risa arrives at Happy Jack Harvest Camp she becomes embroiled in an argument with one of her counselors. Risa argues that if Unwinds are bad, then some of their "parts" must be bad too. She wants to know how they determine the difference between "good" and "bad" parts and what the camp does with the "bad" parts. Risa's question is a good one, as it asks the reader to think about the role of the soul in creating a person. As shown in CyFi's story, the "bits" of Unwinds that are used still retain some of Unwind's identity.
Pretend that you are either Risa or the Happy Jack counselor. Choose a side and argue your point from their perspective. Make sure that you include details to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss 3 subplots that develop in the book. In your discussion include:
Who is involved in the subplot.
Major developments in the subplot.
How the subplot is resolved.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)