|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roland offer in exchange for his freedom?
2. Why does Dalton plan to jump off the roof if he is scheduled to be unwound?
3. What does Roland just before Connor blacks out during their fight?
4. What does Dalton tell Risa about the sight of the Unwinds walking down the "red carpet"?
5. Where are Risa and Connor when they get caught by the juvey-cops?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the knowledge of Connor's unwinding cause Lev to move up the detonation in chapter 62?
2. What does the counselor's behavior toward Risa show about the opinion people have of Unwinds in chapter 52?
3. In chapter 35 Lev joins the Clappers, a groups whose only mission is to cause chaos. Does this type of group fit with what the reader now knows about Lev?
4. How do Lev's feelings toward CyFi change in chapter 29?
5. What does Risa and Connor's meeting in the bathroom in chapter 58 say about the nature of their relationship?
6. What are some possible reasons that the Admiral may wish to run the Graveyard?
7. Is Risa lucky to be chosen to play piano for new arrivals? Or is she unlucky?
8. Why is Lev willing to become a suicide bomber for the Clapper cause?
9. Why does the Admiral choose to tell his story to Connor in chapter 34?
10. How does the Admiral finally convince Connor to trust him, and spy for him, as chapter 34 unfolds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, Unwinds are presented as delinquents, throw-away children or burdens on the state. In short, Unwinds are considered drains on society. In order to justify the destruction of these wayward teens, the body parts of unwound kids are donated to others. In essence, their deaths help others live.
Is it ever acceptable to sacrifice a few people for the good of the many?
In what circumstances might that option be considered?
What are some examples of this type of sacrifice in our society today?
Essay Topic 2
Runaway Unwinds are hiding in the basement of Sonia's antique store. After they leave there, they are shipped to various secret locations before being sent to the Graveyard. Unwinds are hidden in the hopes that they will stay undiscovered until they obtain freedom on their 18th birthday.
Explain how Unwinds might be compared runaway slaves in the U.S. pre-Civil War era. How are their circumstances similar? How are their living conditions similar? Discuss how the human rights of both Unwinds and US slaves were violated. Provide examples to support your assertions. Do you think creating a parallel between Unwinds and slaves is a useful way to help the reader understand and sympathize with the Unwinds? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plot of the novel "Unwind". Be sure to detail the introduction, rising action, climax, falling action and resolution. For each of these sections of the plot, discuss whether these plot points helped or hurt the plot. Explain why you feel the way you do.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)