|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Risa and Connor when they get caught by the juvey-cops?
2. Why doesn't Connor want to be in the same crate as Roland?
3. How much money does Lev talk the pawnbroker into giving him for the bracelet?
4. How do the tithes see themselves?
5. How are jobs determined at the Graveyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Admiral finally convince Connor to trust him, and spy for him, as chapter 34 unfolds?
2. Why does Risa think their new home is called the Graveyard when she sees it in chapter 28?
3. What evidence does the author give of Lev's changed character during his meeting with the pawnbroker in chapter 26?
4. In chapter 34, Hayden tells Connor that he is respected because he has integrity. How has Connor shown integrity?
5. How do Lev's feelings toward CyFi change in chapter 29?
6. What is implied in chapter 30 about the nature of brain bits and Unwinds?
7. In chapter 51 the teens are sent to Happy Jack Harvest Camp. Why is the camps so nice and colorful?
8. What does Risa and Connor's meeting in the bathroom in chapter 58 say about the nature of their relationship?
9. Is Risa lucky to be chosen to play piano for new arrivals? Or is she unlucky?
10. Are Risa and Connor doing the right thing by staying away from each other in chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, unwanted babies are "storked." Meaning they are left on the doorstep of unsuspecting people's homes. In reality some states allow mothers to abandon their unwanted babies at hospitals or police stations.
1) Is this the same as "storking"? Why or why not?
2) How do you feel about "storking" as it is presented in the book? Why do you feel the way you do?
3) How do you feel about the current laws that allow children to be abandoned at hospitals and police stations? Why do you feel the way you do?
4) Come up with as solution (other than abortion or adoption) to assist unwanted children in today's society.
Essay Topic 2
After Risa and Connor are arrested by the juvey-cops, they learn that the cops have known about the Admiral and the Graveyard for a year. However, they have decided not to bother the Graveyard and have allowed the Admiral to continue to operate his facility. The juvey-cops claim that they have chosen not to shut down the Graveyard because they would rather not have to chase down Unwinds all over the country.
What other reasons might the juvey-cops have for allowing the Admiral to run the Graveyard? Do you think everyone is supportive of unwinding? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Many people believe that stem cell research creates a slippery slope. In fact, former President Bush banned federal funding for embryonic stem cell research while he was in office. He felt that the use of these stem cells was not moral. After reading about Maternity Hospital #6 we can see how the harvesting embryonic stem cells can be abused. However, many people believe that embryonic stem cells are the best way to save human lives.
In this assignment you will take a side in this issue. Stand on once side of the issue or another. If you are unsure of where you stand, take a moment to do some research on the subject. Your paper should include a solid thesis statement as well as facts to support your position. The paper must have a solid introduction, must include 5 supported reasons for your stance, and have a succinct conclusion.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)