|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Risa think Connor is being treated differently?
2. Who does Connor meet at the camp?
3. What happens to Risa at the camp?
4. How are jobs determined at the Graveyard?
5. What does Dalton tell Risa about the sight of the Unwinds walking down the "red carpet"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does the author give of Lev's changed character during his meeting with the pawnbroker in chapter 26?
2. Why would anyone choose to sponsor an Unwind from the Graveyard as suggested by the Admiral in chapter 28?
3. In chapter 56 Connor discovers that there are kids missing from his dorm. Where are they?
4. Why does the Admiral choose to tell his story to Connor in chapter 34?
5. What does the counselor's behavior toward Risa show about the opinion people have of Unwinds in chapter 52?
6. In chapters 33 and 34, Risa and Connor are given work assignments. How might these assignments be a positive thing for them?
7. Why is Lev willing to become a suicide bomber for the Clapper cause?
8. Why has Connor chosen to make the Admiral the focus of his anger and resentment?
9. Are Risa and Connor doing the right thing by staying away from each other in chapter 28?
10. As Connor arrives at Happy Jack Harvest Camp, in chapter 51, he learns that his reputation has proceeded him. What it his reputation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plot of the novel "Unwind". Be sure to detail the introduction, rising action, climax, falling action and resolution. For each of these sections of the plot, discuss whether these plot points helped or hurt the plot. Explain why you feel the way you do.
Essay Topic 2
Connor, Risa and Lev are three very different characters. They come from diverse backgrounds and react to the same situations in very different ways. By the end of the book each of these characters has grown and changed. In this essay, please discuss:
1) What are each of the main character's goals at the beginning of the book?
2) What was the main catalysts for change for each character?
3) What are each of the main character's goals at the end of the book?
4) Which character do you believe has grown the most? The least? Explain and support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Runaway Unwinds are hiding in the basement of Sonia's antique store. After they leave there, they are shipped to various secret locations before being sent to the Graveyard. Unwinds are hidden in the hopes that they will stay undiscovered until they obtain freedom on their 18th birthday.
Explain how Unwinds might be compared runaway slaves in the U.S. pre-Civil War era. How are their circumstances similar? How are their living conditions similar? Discuss how the human rights of both Unwinds and US slaves were violated. Provide examples to support your assertions. Do you think creating a parallel between Unwinds and slaves is a useful way to help the reader understand and sympathize with the Unwinds? Why or why not?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)