|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group to Lev, Mai and Blaine belong to?
2. How are Risa and her friend Tina similar?
3. What does Connor do when he sees Lev again?
4. What was the Alaskan pipeline job?
5. Who turns Risa and Connor in to the juvey-cops?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lev's feelings toward CyFi change in chapter 29?
2. Why does the knowledge of Connor's unwinding cause Lev to move up the detonation in chapter 62?
3. What lesson does Lev leave Joplin with at the end of chapter 31?
4. What evidence does the author give of Lev's changed character during his meeting with the pawnbroker in chapter 26?
5. Roland is Unwound in chapter 61. How does the silence in the room effect the mood of the chapter?
6. In chapter 28 the Unwinds meet the Admiral. Is it significant that he does not go by a name, but by a title?
7. Why is it important to Connor that Risa not see him being taken to the "Chop Shop"?
8. Why does Risa think their new home is called the Graveyard when she sees it in chapter 28?
9. Are Risa and Connor doing the right thing by staying away from each other in chapter 28?
10. Why would anyone choose to sponsor an Unwind from the Graveyard as suggested by the Admiral in chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Terrorism is a recurrent theme in "Unwind". The Clappers are a terrorist organization whose mission is to cause chaos and social unrest.
Why do you think Lev joined the Clappers? Do you think the Clapper's mission falls in line with Lev's values? Why or why not? What has happened to Lev throughout the course of the book that may have contributed to his desire to join the Clappers? Do you think Lev has made the right choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Graveyard is a place where Unwinds live until they turn 18. It is not an ideal living place, and the conditions are stark, but the Unwinds receive food, shelter, care and job training until they are able to leave.
Wards of the state in the United States live in youth homes across the country. What are the conditions like at youth homes? What types of services are offered to the youth and teens who live there? How are these places similar to the Graveyard? How are they different? What happens to these children once they turn 18?
Essay Topic 3
The romance between Risa and Connor is one of the major subplots of the book. Explain how their romance develops and what plot devices are used to push them together and pull them apart. Provide 3 examples in your writing and make sure to explain how the plot effected their romance.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)