|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Roland scheduled to be unwound immediately?
2. How many days until Lev will be unwound?
3. Why does Connor have a difficult time traveling in the crate?
4. How does Risa characterize the "new" Lev?
5. Who does Connor meet at the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lev's feelings toward CyFi change in chapter 29?
2. What does the counselor's behavior toward Risa show about the opinion people have of Unwinds in chapter 52?
3. Roland is Unwound in chapter 61. How does the silence in the room effect the mood of the chapter?
4. Are Risa and Connor doing the right thing by staying away from each other in chapter 28?
5. Why does the Admiral choose to tell his story to Connor in chapter 34?
6. How does the Admiral finally convince Connor to trust him, and spy for him, as chapter 34 unfolds?
7. In chapter 56 Connor discovers that there are kids missing from his dorm. Where are they?
8. What does Risa and Connor's meeting in the bathroom in chapter 58 say about the nature of their relationship?
9. What is implied in chapter 30 about the nature of brain bits and Unwinds?
10. In chapter 51 the teens are sent to Happy Jack Harvest Camp. Why is the camps so nice and colorful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Runaway Unwinds are hiding in the basement of Sonia's antique store. After they leave there, they are shipped to various secret locations before being sent to the Graveyard. Unwinds are hidden in the hopes that they will stay undiscovered until they obtain freedom on their 18th birthday.
Explain how Unwinds might be compared runaway slaves in the U.S. pre-Civil War era. How are their circumstances similar? How are their living conditions similar? Discuss how the human rights of both Unwinds and US slaves were violated. Provide examples to support your assertions. Do you think creating a parallel between Unwinds and slaves is a useful way to help the reader understand and sympathize with the Unwinds? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Unwinds fly the Admiral to a nearby hospital for care. When they arrive, they are met by a first-year medical intern who offers to give the Admiral an organ transplant. When the Admiral, Connor and Risa object to the transplant the first-year resident is not happy.
In the United States, doctors take what is called the Hippocratic Oath. The oath is a promise to always treat life in the highest regard. It is also a promise to protect human life.
Assuming doctors in Unwind take this same oath, how do you think they can justify using parts from Unwinds? Do they consider Unwind life not as equal as the life of non-Unwinds? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write a research paper about organ donation. Answer the following questions in your research:
What is organ donation?
How does it work?
How does the body respond to a donated organ?
What happens after a person receives a donated organ?
What are the rights of the family who donated the organ?
Are there drawbacks to organ donation? What might they be?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)