|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are tithes treated at the camp?
2. Who is the self proclaimed "dictator" of the Graveyard?
3. What does Connor do when he sees Lev again?
4. What is the average stay for an Unwind at the harvest camp?
5. What are harvest camps created to resemble?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lev show that he has matured after Connor punches him in chapter 34?
2. As Connor arrives at Happy Jack Harvest Camp, in chapter 51, he learns that his reputation has proceeded him. What it his reputation?
3. As Lev sits in the workout room in chapter 57, how does he see his position as a tithe?
4. Why does the knowledge of Connor's unwinding cause Lev to move up the detonation in chapter 62?
5. In chapter 56 Connor discovers that there are kids missing from his dorm. Where are they?
6. Is Risa lucky to be chosen to play piano for new arrivals? Or is she unlucky?
7. How do Lev's feelings toward CyFi change in chapter 29?
8. What evidence does the author give of Lev's changed character during his meeting with the pawnbroker in chapter 26?
9. In chapter 35 Lev joins the Clappers, a groups whose only mission is to cause chaos. Does this type of group fit with what the reader now knows about Lev?
10. What does the counselor's behavior toward Risa show about the opinion people have of Unwinds in chapter 52?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Risa and Connor are arrested by the juvey-cops, they learn that the cops have known about the Admiral and the Graveyard for a year. However, they have decided not to bother the Graveyard and have allowed the Admiral to continue to operate his facility. The juvey-cops claim that they have chosen not to shut down the Graveyard because they would rather not have to chase down Unwinds all over the country.
What other reasons might the juvey-cops have for allowing the Admiral to run the Graveyard? Do you think everyone is supportive of unwinding? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Cyrus, CyFi, is a very rich character. He represents so many of the issues that are brought up in the book. CyFi's character forces Lev to reconsider many of his deeply held beliefs about himself and about Unwinds. Discuss the time that Lev and CyFi spend together traveling. Give examples of how CyFi's behavior and circumstances caused Lev to change. How does CyFi represent the author's beliefs about God and the soul? What do you think happens to CyFi after Lev leaves him in Joplin?
Essay Topic 3
Runaway Unwinds are hiding in the basement of Sonia's antique store. After they leave there, they are shipped to various secret locations before being sent to the Graveyard. Unwinds are hidden in the hopes that they will stay undiscovered until they obtain freedom on their 18th birthday.
Explain how Unwinds might be compared runaway slaves in the U.S. pre-Civil War era. How are their circumstances similar? How are their living conditions similar? Discuss how the human rights of both Unwinds and US slaves were violated. Provide examples to support your assertions. Do you think creating a parallel between Unwinds and slaves is a useful way to help the reader understand and sympathize with the Unwinds? Why or why not?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)