|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What eventually happens to Roland?
2. What does Dalton tell Risa about the sight of the Unwinds walking down the "red carpet"?
3. What is the reason the Admiral gives for wanting Connor on his jet?
4. What was the Alaskan pipeline job?
5. What is the name of CyFi's alter ego?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 35 Lev joins the Clappers, a groups whose only mission is to cause chaos. Does this type of group fit with what the reader now knows about Lev?
2. Is Risa lucky to be chosen to play piano for new arrivals? Or is she unlucky?
3. In chapter 56 Connor discovers that there are kids missing from his dorm. Where are they?
4. Why is it important to Connor that Risa not see him being taken to the "Chop Shop"?
5. How does the Admiral finally convince Connor to trust him, and spy for him, as chapter 34 unfolds?
6. What lesson does Lev leave Joplin with at the end of chapter 31?
7. What does the counselor's behavior toward Risa show about the opinion people have of Unwinds in chapter 52?
8. Why might the tithes be treated better than the rest of the campers at Happy Jack when they arrive in chapter 53?
9. In chapter 51 the teens are sent to Happy Jack Harvest Camp. Why is the camps so nice and colorful?
10. Why does Risa think their new home is called the Graveyard when she sees it in chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Runaway Unwinds are hiding in the basement of Sonia's antique store. After they leave there, they are shipped to various secret locations before being sent to the Graveyard. Unwinds are hidden in the hopes that they will stay undiscovered until they obtain freedom on their 18th birthday.
Explain how Unwinds might be compared runaway slaves in the U.S. pre-Civil War era. How are their circumstances similar? How are their living conditions similar? Discuss how the human rights of both Unwinds and US slaves were violated. Provide examples to support your assertions. Do you think creating a parallel between Unwinds and slaves is a useful way to help the reader understand and sympathize with the Unwinds? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Cyrus, CyFi, is a very rich character. He represents so many of the issues that are brought up in the book. CyFi's character forces Lev to reconsider many of his deeply held beliefs about himself and about Unwinds. Discuss the time that Lev and CyFi spend together traveling. Give examples of how CyFi's behavior and circumstances caused Lev to change. How does CyFi represent the author's beliefs about God and the soul? What do you think happens to CyFi after Lev leaves him in Joplin?
Essay Topic 3
Define dystopian society? Do you believe that "Unwind" represents a dystopian society? Why or why not? Provide at least 3 examples to support your answer.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)