|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Risa and Connor when they get caught by the juvey-cops?
2. What was the Alaskan pipeline job?
3. How is Risa treated by the counselor who interviews her?
4. Why does Tyler want CyFi to return to his old home?
5. What is the name of CyFi's alter ego?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Admiral choose to tell his story to Connor in chapter 34?
2. In chapters 33 and 34, Risa and Connor are given work assignments. How might these assignments be a positive thing for them?
3. Why has Connor chosen to make the Admiral the focus of his anger and resentment?
4. Why might the tithes be treated better than the rest of the campers at Happy Jack when they arrive in chapter 53?
5. In chapter 35 Lev joins the Clappers, a groups whose only mission is to cause chaos. Does this type of group fit with what the reader now knows about Lev?
6. As Lev sits in the workout room in chapter 57, how does he see his position as a tithe?
7. Roland is Unwound in chapter 61. How does the silence in the room effect the mood of the chapter?
8. Why is it important to Connor that Risa not see him being taken to the "Chop Shop"?
9. Are Risa and Connor doing the right thing by staying away from each other in chapter 28?
10. Why would anyone choose to sponsor an Unwind from the Graveyard as suggested by the Admiral in chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people believe that stem cell research creates a slippery slope. In fact, former President Bush banned federal funding for embryonic stem cell research while he was in office. He felt that the use of these stem cells was not moral. After reading about Maternity Hospital #6 we can see how the harvesting embryonic stem cells can be abused. However, many people believe that embryonic stem cells are the best way to save human lives.
In this assignment you will take a side in this issue. Stand on once side of the issue or another. If you are unsure of where you stand, take a moment to do some research on the subject. Your paper should include a solid thesis statement as well as facts to support your position. The paper must have a solid introduction, must include 5 supported reasons for your stance, and have a succinct conclusion.
Essay Topic 2
The Admiral's behavior added to the unrest of the teens at the Graveyard. His guarded manner, secrecy and dictatorial ruling contributed to the mob scene that developed in chapter 24. The death of the Goldens, Emby's disappearance and Roland's subversive actions all also contributed to the mob. Explain, in detail, why the teens were rioting. Do you support what they were doing? Why or why not? Give at least 5 examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Runaway Unwinds are hiding in the basement of Sonia's antique store. After they leave there, they are shipped to various secret locations before being sent to the Graveyard. Unwinds are hidden in the hopes that they will stay undiscovered until they obtain freedom on their 18th birthday.
Explain how Unwinds might be compared runaway slaves in the U.S. pre-Civil War era. How are their circumstances similar? How are their living conditions similar? Discuss how the human rights of both Unwinds and US slaves were violated. Provide examples to support your assertions. Do you think creating a parallel between Unwinds and slaves is a useful way to help the reader understand and sympathize with the Unwinds? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)