|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Risa assigned to work after she helps a boy with his nosebleed?
2. What is the topic of the deep conversation the boys have on the plane?
3. What does Connor think of the Admiral's jet?
4. Who is responsible for work that needs to be done at the Graveyard?
5. What was the Alaskan pipeline job?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapters 33 and 34, Risa and Connor are given work assignments. How might these assignments be a positive thing for them?
2. As Connor arrives at Happy Jack Harvest Camp, in chapter 51, he learns that his reputation has proceeded him. What it his reputation?
3. How does Lev show that he has matured after Connor punches him in chapter 34?
4. What evidence does the author give of Lev's changed character during his meeting with the pawnbroker in chapter 26?
5. Why does Risa think their new home is called the Graveyard when she sees it in chapter 28?
6. Why has Connor chosen to make the Admiral the focus of his anger and resentment?
7. Why does the Admiral choose to tell his story to Connor in chapter 34?
8. What are some possible reasons that the Admiral may wish to run the Graveyard?
9. Why would anyone choose to sponsor an Unwind from the Graveyard as suggested by the Admiral in chapter 28?
10. Why might the tithes be treated better than the rest of the campers at Happy Jack when they arrive in chapter 53?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Graveyard is a place where Unwinds live until they turn 18. It is not an ideal living place, and the conditions are stark, but the Unwinds receive food, shelter, care and job training until they are able to leave.
Wards of the state in the United States live in youth homes across the country. What are the conditions like at youth homes? What types of services are offered to the youth and teens who live there? How are these places similar to the Graveyard? How are they different? What happens to these children once they turn 18?
Essay Topic 2
While Risa is playing the piano on the roof at Happy Jack, she meets a boy named Dalton. Dalton has a plan to escape the camp when he turns 18.
Explain Dalton's plan. Do you think it will work? Why or why not? Do you think the camp will allow him to leave when he turns 18? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write a research paper about organ donation. Answer the following questions in your research:
What is organ donation?
How does it work?
How does the body respond to a donated organ?
What happens after a person receives a donated organ?
What are the rights of the family who donated the organ?
Are there drawbacks to organ donation? What might they be?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)