|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the camp where Risa and Connor are sent?
2. What does Lev leave at the store after he robs it?
3. What is the name of the place where the Unwinds are being sent?
4. How is Risa treated by the counselor who interviews her?
5. Who is the self proclaimed "dictator" of the Graveyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Connor arrives at Happy Jack Harvest Camp, in chapter 51, he learns that his reputation has proceeded him. What it his reputation?
2. In chapter 34, Hayden tells Connor that he is respected because he has integrity. How has Connor shown integrity?
3. In chapters 33 and 34, Risa and Connor are given work assignments. How might these assignments be a positive thing for them?
4. Is Risa lucky to be chosen to play piano for new arrivals? Or is she unlucky?
5. Why does the knowledge of Connor's unwinding cause Lev to move up the detonation in chapter 62?
6. How does Lev show that he has matured after Connor punches him in chapter 34?
7. What does Risa and Connor's meeting in the bathroom in chapter 58 say about the nature of their relationship?
8. Why does Risa think their new home is called the Graveyard when she sees it in chapter 28?
9. What does the counselor's behavior toward Risa show about the opinion people have of Unwinds in chapter 52?
10. Why does the Admiral choose to tell his story to Connor in chapter 34?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people believe that stem cell research creates a slippery slope. In fact, former President Bush banned federal funding for embryonic stem cell research while he was in office. He felt that the use of these stem cells was not moral. After reading about Maternity Hospital #6 we can see how the harvesting embryonic stem cells can be abused. However, many people believe that embryonic stem cells are the best way to save human lives.
In this assignment you will take a side in this issue. Stand on once side of the issue or another. If you are unsure of where you stand, take a moment to do some research on the subject. Your paper should include a solid thesis statement as well as facts to support your position. The paper must have a solid introduction, must include 5 supported reasons for your stance, and have a succinct conclusion.
Essay Topic 2
Define dystopian society? Do you believe that "Unwind" represents a dystopian society? Why or why not? Provide at least 3 examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The Graveyard is a place where Unwinds live until they turn 18. It is not an ideal living place, and the conditions are stark, but the Unwinds receive food, shelter, care and job training until they are able to leave.
Wards of the state in the United States live in youth homes across the country. What are the conditions like at youth homes? What types of services are offered to the youth and teens who live there? How are these places similar to the Graveyard? How are they different? What happens to these children once they turn 18?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)