|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are tithes and "terribles" treated at the camp?
2. What is the name of CyFi's alter ego?
3. Why does Risa feel she cannot find Connor once they are out of the crates?
4. What does Roland just before Connor blacks out during their fight?
5. Who does Roland demand to see before he is taken away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson does Lev leave Joplin with at the end of chapter 31?
2. Why would anyone choose to sponsor an Unwind from the Graveyard as suggested by the Admiral in chapter 28?
3. What evidence does the author give of Lev's changed character during his meeting with the pawnbroker in chapter 26?
4. Why is Lev willing to become a suicide bomber for the Clapper cause?
5. In chapter 34, Hayden tells Connor that he is respected because he has integrity. How has Connor shown integrity?
6. Are Risa and Connor doing the right thing by staying away from each other in chapter 28?
7. Why is it important to Connor that Risa not see him being taken to the "Chop Shop"?
8. How does Lev show that he has matured after Connor punches him in chapter 34?
9. Why does Risa think their new home is called the Graveyard when she sees it in chapter 28?
10. In chapter 56 Connor discovers that there are kids missing from his dorm. Where are they?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cyrus, CyFi, is a very rich character. He represents so many of the issues that are brought up in the book. CyFi's character forces Lev to reconsider many of his deeply held beliefs about himself and about Unwinds. Discuss the time that Lev and CyFi spend together traveling. Give examples of how CyFi's behavior and circumstances caused Lev to change. How does CyFi represent the author's beliefs about God and the soul? What do you think happens to CyFi after Lev leaves him in Joplin?
Essay Topic 2
Runaway Unwinds are hiding in the basement of Sonia's antique store. After they leave there, they are shipped to various secret locations before being sent to the Graveyard. Unwinds are hidden in the hopes that they will stay undiscovered until they obtain freedom on their 18th birthday.
Explain how Unwinds might be compared runaway slaves in the U.S. pre-Civil War era. How are their circumstances similar? How are their living conditions similar? Discuss how the human rights of both Unwinds and US slaves were violated. Provide examples to support your assertions. Do you think creating a parallel between Unwinds and slaves is a useful way to help the reader understand and sympathize with the Unwinds? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Connor, Risa and Lev are three very different characters. They come from diverse backgrounds and react to the same situations in very different ways. By the end of the book each of these characters has grown and changed. In this essay, please discuss:
1) What are each of the main character's goals at the beginning of the book?
2) What was the main catalysts for change for each character?
3) What are each of the main character's goals at the end of the book?
4) Which character do you believe has grown the most? The least? Explain and support your answer.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)