|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cyrus steal that will give the boys money to travel?
2. Who is responsible for work that needs to be done at the Graveyard?
3. How do Lev, Mai and Blaine stop Connor's unwinding?
4. Why is Roland scheduled to be unwound immediately?
5. How does Lev convince Blaine that it is time to start their plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 35 Lev joins the Clappers, a groups whose only mission is to cause chaos. Does this type of group fit with what the reader now knows about Lev?
2. What are some possible reasons that the Admiral may wish to run the Graveyard?
3. How does the Admiral finally convince Connor to trust him, and spy for him, as chapter 34 unfolds?
4. In chapter 51 the teens are sent to Happy Jack Harvest Camp. Why is the camps so nice and colorful?
5. As Lev sits in the workout room in chapter 57, how does he see his position as a tithe?
6. What evidence does the author give of Lev's changed character during his meeting with the pawnbroker in chapter 26?
7. Why does the knowledge of Connor's unwinding cause Lev to move up the detonation in chapter 62?
8. In chapter 34, Hayden tells Connor that he is respected because he has integrity. How has Connor shown integrity?
9. How does Lev show that he has matured after Connor punches him in chapter 34?
10. Why is it important to Connor that Risa not see him being taken to the "Chop Shop"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Runaway Unwinds are hiding in the basement of Sonia's antique store. After they leave there, they are shipped to various secret locations before being sent to the Graveyard. Unwinds are hidden in the hopes that they will stay undiscovered until they obtain freedom on their 18th birthday.
Explain how Unwinds might be compared runaway slaves in the U.S. pre-Civil War era. How are their circumstances similar? How are their living conditions similar? Discuss how the human rights of both Unwinds and US slaves were violated. Provide examples to support your assertions. Do you think creating a parallel between Unwinds and slaves is a useful way to help the reader understand and sympathize with the Unwinds? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot of the novel "Unwind". Be sure to detail the introduction, rising action, climax, falling action and resolution. For each of these sections of the plot, discuss whether these plot points helped or hurt the plot. Explain why you feel the way you do.
Essay Topic 3
The Unwinds fly the Admiral to a nearby hospital for care. When they arrive, they are met by a first-year medical intern who offers to give the Admiral an organ transplant. When the Admiral, Connor and Risa object to the transplant the first-year resident is not happy.
In the United States, doctors take what is called the Hippocratic Oath. The oath is a promise to always treat life in the highest regard. It is also a promise to protect human life.
Assuming doctors in Unwind take this same oath, how do you think they can justify using parts from Unwinds? Do they consider Unwind life not as equal as the life of non-Unwinds? Why or why not?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)