|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Risa and Connor the morning after Risa is attacked by Roland?
2. Why does Tyler want CyFi to return to his old home?
3. What does Lev leave at the store after he robs it?
4. Why does Emby think that Unwinding is useful?
5. How is Connor treated differently than Roland and Risa when they arrive at the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 35 Lev joins the Clappers, a groups whose only mission is to cause chaos. Does this type of group fit with what the reader now knows about Lev?
2. As Connor arrives at Happy Jack Harvest Camp, in chapter 51, he learns that his reputation has proceeded him. What it his reputation?
3. Roland is Unwound in chapter 61. How does the silence in the room effect the mood of the chapter?
4. In chapter 28 the Unwinds meet the Admiral. Is it significant that he does not go by a name, but by a title?
5. In chapter 51 the teens are sent to Happy Jack Harvest Camp. Why is the camps so nice and colorful?
6. In chapter 34, Hayden tells Connor that he is respected because he has integrity. How has Connor shown integrity?
7. In chapter 56 Connor discovers that there are kids missing from his dorm. Where are they?
8. Why does Risa think their new home is called the Graveyard when she sees it in chapter 28?
9. How do Lev's feelings toward CyFi change in chapter 29?
10. Why does the knowledge of Connor's unwinding cause Lev to move up the detonation in chapter 62?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Graveyard is a place where Unwinds live until they turn 18. It is not an ideal living place, and the conditions are stark, but the Unwinds receive food, shelter, care and job training until they are able to leave.
Wards of the state in the United States live in youth homes across the country. What are the conditions like at youth homes? What types of services are offered to the youth and teens who live there? How are these places similar to the Graveyard? How are they different? What happens to these children once they turn 18?
Essay Topic 2
Connor, Risa and Lev are three very different characters. They come from diverse backgrounds and react to the same situations in very different ways. By the end of the book each of these characters has grown and changed. In this essay, please discuss:
1) What are each of the main character's goals at the beginning of the book?
2) What was the main catalysts for change for each character?
3) What are each of the main character's goals at the end of the book?
4) Which character do you believe has grown the most? The least? Explain and support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss 3 subplots that develop in the book. In your discussion include:
Who is involved in the subplot.
Major developments in the subplot.
How the subplot is resolved.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)