|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Risa go while the other kids are in line for food?
2. What is it called when a person or family gives 10% of their belongings to the church?
3. Which character has street smarts and a cool head?
4. Why does Lev believe that storking and unwinding are ok?
5. How does Risa feel when Connor does not fight Roland?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 20, Hannah tells Risa that she and her husband will raise Didi. How does this scene show how Risa's feelings have changed toward the Storked baby?
2. What feelings does Lev's betrayal create in Connor and Risa?
3. What effect does Connor, Risa and Lev's sharing of their stories have on the group in chapter 7?
4. How does Connor feel when his girlfriend, Ariana, will not run away with him?
5. Why is it so difficult for Lev to believe that Risa and Connor are trying to help him in chapter 6?
6. Explain what CyFi might mean when he says in chapter 21, "I ain't no runaway - I'm a run-to." (Part Three, Chap. 21, p.122)
7. Is Pastor Dan's advice to Lev in chapter 15 the betrayal that Lev feels it is?
8. How does Lev justify leading the cops to Risa and Connor in chapter 17?
9. Why does Marcus object to Levi being offered by their family as a tithe when he gives his speech in chapter 3?
10. Why isn't Risa more supportive when Connor picks up the Storked baby in chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Risa and Connor are arrested by the juvey-cops, they learn that the cops have known about the Admiral and the Graveyard for a year. However, they have decided not to bother the Graveyard and have allowed the Admiral to continue to operate his facility. The juvey-cops claim that they have chosen not to shut down the Graveyard because they would rather not have to chase down Unwinds all over the country.
What other reasons might the juvey-cops have for allowing the Admiral to run the Graveyard? Do you think everyone is supportive of unwinding? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Graveyard is a place where Unwinds live until they turn 18. It is not an ideal living place, and the conditions are stark, but the Unwinds receive food, shelter, care and job training until they are able to leave.
Wards of the state in the United States live in youth homes across the country. What are the conditions like at youth homes? What types of services are offered to the youth and teens who live there? How are these places similar to the Graveyard? How are they different? What happens to these children once they turn 18?
Essay Topic 3
Connor, Risa and Lev are three very different characters. They come from diverse backgrounds and react to the same situations in very different ways. By the end of the book each of these characters has grown and changed. In this essay, please discuss:
1) What are each of the main character's goals at the beginning of the book?
2) What was the main catalysts for change for each character?
3) What are each of the main character's goals at the end of the book?
4) Which character do you believe has grown the most? The least? Explain and support your answer.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)