|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Levi Jedediah Calder?
2. How does Risa get away from Nelson?
3. Where do the boys sleep for the night as they are walking along the railroad tracks?
4. Who brings dinner to the Unwinds on Christmas?
5. Why does Lev struggle with Connor after Connor pulls him from the backseat of Pastor Dan's car?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 22 Roland arrives at the warehouse. Why does he want to fight Connor so badly?
2. In chapter 35 Lev joins the Clappers, a groups whose only mission is to cause chaos. Does this type of group fit with what the reader now knows about Lev?
3. What might have been Roland's motive when he attacked Risa in chapter 24?
4. In chapter 20, Hannah tells Risa that she and her husband will raise Didi. How does this scene show how Risa's feelings have changed toward the Storked baby?
5. Is Risa lucky to be chosen to play piano for new arrivals? Or is she unlucky?
6. In chapter 24, Risa is almost raped by Roland. What does her anger at Connor tell the reader about her feelings for Connor?
7. Why does Risa feel that Connor is in danger from Roland in chapter 22?
8. In chapters 33 and 34, Risa and Connor are given work assignments. How might these assignments be a positive thing for them?
9. How does Connor feel when his girlfriend, Ariana, will not run away with him?
10. Why is Lev willing to become a suicide bomber for the Clapper cause?
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss 3 subplots that develop in the book. In your discussion include:
Who is involved in the subplot.
Major developments in the subplot.
How the subplot is resolved.
Essay Topic 2
Lev's parents are very religious people. In their view of faith, having Lev unwound is the ultimate show of love to their God. Lev himself believes that being a tithe gives him a unique and special purpose in life. However, as the story progresses, Lev begins to see tithing in a very different way. He also begins to look at Unwinds differently.
Give 4 instances in which Lev's belief in tithing has been challenged.
Explain how the challenge effects Lev's mental status.
Discuss how these instances change Lev's character.
Essay Topic 3
Write a research paper about organ donation. Answer the following questions in your research:
What is organ donation?
How does it work?
How does the body respond to a donated organ?
What happens after a person receives a donated organ?
What are the rights of the family who donated the organ?
Are there drawbacks to organ donation? What might they be?
This section contains 2,531 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)