|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the 19 year old mother decide to "stork" her baby?
2. Which character has street smarts and a cool head?
3. How does the mother feel about leaving her baby on someone's doorstep?
4. What is it called when a person or family gives 10% of their belongings to the church?
5. What quality does Cyrus have that annoys Lev?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what CyFi might mean when he says in chapter 21, "I ain't no runaway - I'm a run-to." (Part Three, Chap. 21, p.122)
2. What happens in chapter 2 that prompts Risa to run away from the bus?
3. What reason(s) might CyFi have for traveling with Lev?
4. What feelings does Lev's betrayal create in Connor and Risa?
5. What do Risa's actions in the woods, in chapter 5, show the reader about her character?
6. What might the meeting in chapter 4 of Connor, Levi and Risa foreshadow?
7. Is it possible that Hannah's position as a teacher makes her more inclined to help the Unwinds in chapter 16?
8. What is the significance of Lev's realization that Levi Jedediah Calder no longer exists in chapter 18?
9. Why is it so important to Risa that she keep Connor at arm's distance in chapter 8?
10. Why does Risa feel that Connor is in danger from Roland in chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Admiral's behavior added to the unrest of the teens at the Graveyard. His guarded manner, secrecy and dictatorial ruling contributed to the mob scene that developed in chapter 24. The death of the Goldens, Emby's disappearance and Roland's subversive actions all also contributed to the mob. Explain, in detail, why the teens were rioting. Do you support what they were doing? Why or why not? Give at least 5 examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Runaway Unwinds are hiding in the basement of Sonia's antique store. After they leave there, they are shipped to various secret locations before being sent to the Graveyard. Unwinds are hidden in the hopes that they will stay undiscovered until they obtain freedom on their 18th birthday.
Explain how Unwinds might be compared runaway slaves in the U.S. pre-Civil War era. How are their circumstances similar? How are their living conditions similar? Discuss how the human rights of both Unwinds and US slaves were violated. Provide examples to support your assertions. Do you think creating a parallel between Unwinds and slaves is a useful way to help the reader understand and sympathize with the Unwinds? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
After Risa and Connor are arrested by the juvey-cops, they learn that the cops have known about the Admiral and the Graveyard for a year. However, they have decided not to bother the Graveyard and have allowed the Admiral to continue to operate his facility. The juvey-cops claim that they have chosen not to shut down the Graveyard because they would rather not have to chase down Unwinds all over the country.
What other reasons might the juvey-cops have for allowing the Admiral to run the Graveyard? Do you think everyone is supportive of unwinding? Why or why not?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)