|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the legendary figure the kids talk about in the woods, the figure who went crazy?
2. What does Pastor Dan tell Lev that has Lev so troubled?
3. What is Cyrus Finch's nickname?
4. What does Connor take with them onto the bus?
5. Why does Lev struggle with Connor after Connor pulls him from the backseat of Pastor Dan's car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might have been Roland's motive when he attacked Risa in chapter 24?
2. In chapter 5, Officer Nelson goes against his instincts when he agrees to help Risa. How does this hurt him?
3. What is the significance of it being Christmas Day in chapter 24?
4. What might the meeting in chapter 4 of Connor, Levi and Risa foreshadow?
5. Explain what CyFi might mean when he says in chapter 21, "I ain't no runaway - I'm a run-to." (Part Three, Chap. 21, p.122)
6. How does Connor feel when his girlfriend, Ariana, will not run away with him?
7. What is the significance of Lev's realization that Levi Jedediah Calder no longer exists in chapter 18?
8. Is it possible that Hannah's position as a teacher makes her more inclined to help the Unwinds in chapter 16?
9. What do Risa's actions in the woods, in chapter 5, show the reader about her character?
10. What happens in chapter 2 that prompts Risa to run away from the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plot of the novel "Unwind". Be sure to detail the introduction, rising action, climax, falling action and resolution. For each of these sections of the plot, discuss whether these plot points helped or hurt the plot. Explain why you feel the way you do.
Essay Topic 2
When Risa arrives at Happy Jack Harvest Camp she becomes embroiled in an argument with one of her counselors. Risa argues that if Unwinds are bad, then some of their "parts" must be bad too. She wants to know how they determine the difference between "good" and "bad" parts and what the camp does with the "bad" parts. Risa's question is a good one, as it asks the reader to think about the role of the soul in creating a person. As shown in CyFi's story, the "bits" of Unwinds that are used still retain some of Unwind's identity.
Pretend that you are either Risa or the Happy Jack counselor. Choose a side and argue your point from their perspective. Make sure that you include details to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Define dystopian society? Do you believe that "Unwind" represents a dystopian society? Why or why not? Provide at least 3 examples to support your answer.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)