|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character has street smarts and a cool head?
2. Why is Risa annoyed with Connor's behavior?
3. How does Risa do at her piano recital?
4. What does Lev do while the trio are hiding in the school bathroom?
5. Where do the boys sleep for the night as they are walking along the railroad tracks?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 10, Risa devises a plan to get them all a change of clothing. How does this show she considers them a team?
2. Why is it so difficult for Lev to believe that Risa and Connor are trying to help him in chapter 6?
3. How does Connor feel when his girlfriend, Ariana, will not run away with him?
4. In chapter 3, how does Levi feel about being offered as a tithe?
5. In chapter 4, why is Lev frightened by Connor when he is pulled out of the car?
6. Explain what CyFi might mean when he says in chapter 21, "I ain't no runaway - I'm a run-to." (Part Three, Chap. 21, p.122)
7. What reason(s) might CyFi have for traveling with Lev?
8. Is Pastor Dan's advice to Lev in chapter 15 the betrayal that Lev feels it is?
9. In chapter 7, the Unwinds find themselves in the woods for the night. Why is their ability to trust each other imperative?
10. In chapter 5, Officer Nelson goes against his instincts when he agrees to help Risa. How does this hurt him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lev's parents are very religious people. In their view of faith, having Lev unwound is the ultimate show of love to their God. Lev himself believes that being a tithe gives him a unique and special purpose in life. However, as the story progresses, Lev begins to see tithing in a very different way. He also begins to look at Unwinds differently.
Give 4 instances in which Lev's belief in tithing has been challenged.
Explain how the challenge effects Lev's mental status.
Discuss how these instances change Lev's character.
Essay Topic 2
When Risa arrives at Happy Jack Harvest Camp she becomes embroiled in an argument with one of her counselors. Risa argues that if Unwinds are bad, then some of their "parts" must be bad too. She wants to know how they determine the difference between "good" and "bad" parts and what the camp does with the "bad" parts. Risa's question is a good one, as it asks the reader to think about the role of the soul in creating a person. As shown in CyFi's story, the "bits" of Unwinds that are used still retain some of Unwind's identity.
Pretend that you are either Risa or the Happy Jack counselor. Choose a side and argue your point from their perspective. Make sure that you include details to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The Graveyard is a place where Unwinds live until they turn 18. It is not an ideal living place, and the conditions are stark, but the Unwinds receive food, shelter, care and job training until they are able to leave.
Wards of the state in the United States live in youth homes across the country. What are the conditions like at youth homes? What types of services are offered to the youth and teens who live there? How are these places similar to the Graveyard? How are they different? What happens to these children once they turn 18?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)