|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Risa give Nelson for being in the woods?
2. Where is Maternity Hospital #6?
3. Why is Risa cradling her arm in the woods?
4. What is Stockholm Syndrome?
5. What does Lev believe is going on when he wakes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it possible that Hannah's position as a teacher makes her more inclined to help the Unwinds in chapter 16?
2. What happens in chapter 2 that prompts Risa to run away from the bus?
3. How does Connor feel when his girlfriend, Ariana, will not run away with him?
4. What reason(s) might CyFi have for traveling with Lev?
5. In chapter 3, how does Levi feel about being offered as a tithe?
6. What is the significance of it being Christmas Day in chapter 24?
7. Why isn't Risa more supportive when Connor picks up the Storked baby in chapter 11?
8. Why does Risa feel that Connor is in danger from Roland in chapter 22?
9. In chapter 4, why is Lev frightened by Connor when he is pulled out of the car?
10. Explain what CyFi might mean when he says in chapter 21, "I ain't no runaway - I'm a run-to." (Part Three, Chap. 21, p.122)
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Unwinds fly the Admiral to a nearby hospital for care. When they arrive, they are met by a first-year medical intern who offers to give the Admiral an organ transplant. When the Admiral, Connor and Risa object to the transplant the first-year resident is not happy.
In the United States, doctors take what is called the Hippocratic Oath. The oath is a promise to always treat life in the highest regard. It is also a promise to protect human life.
Assuming doctors in Unwind take this same oath, how do you think they can justify using parts from Unwinds? Do they consider Unwind life not as equal as the life of non-Unwinds? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Admiral's behavior added to the unrest of the teens at the Graveyard. His guarded manner, secrecy and dictatorial ruling contributed to the mob scene that developed in chapter 24. The death of the Goldens, Emby's disappearance and Roland's subversive actions all also contributed to the mob. Explain, in detail, why the teens were rioting. Do you support what they were doing? Why or why not? Give at least 5 examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Runaway Unwinds are hiding in the basement of Sonia's antique store. After they leave there, they are shipped to various secret locations before being sent to the Graveyard. Unwinds are hidden in the hopes that they will stay undiscovered until they obtain freedom on their 18th birthday.
Explain how Unwinds might be compared runaway slaves in the U.S. pre-Civil War era. How are their circumstances similar? How are their living conditions similar? Discuss how the human rights of both Unwinds and US slaves were violated. Provide examples to support your assertions. Do you think creating a parallel between Unwinds and slaves is a useful way to help the reader understand and sympathize with the Unwinds? Why or why not?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)