|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Connor's biggest fear?
2. Why is Connor Lassiter scheduled to be unwound?
3. At what age does unwinding take place?
4. Who brings dinner to the Unwinds on Christmas?
5. How does Risa get away from Nelson?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Risa feel that Connor is in danger from Roland in chapter 22?
2. Why is it so difficult for Lev to believe that Risa and Connor are trying to help him in chapter 6?
3. In chapter 5, Officer Nelson goes against his instincts when he agrees to help Risa. How does this hurt him?
4. In chapter 21 Lev meets Cyrus Finch, CyFi for short. How is his name a play on words?
5. In chapter 3, how does Levi feel about being offered as a tithe?
6. Why does Marcus object to Levi being offered by their family as a tithe when he gives his speech in chapter 3?
7. What might the meeting in chapter 4 of Connor, Levi and Risa foreshadow?
8. Is it possible that Hannah's position as a teacher makes her more inclined to help the Unwinds in chapter 16?
9. Why is it so important to Risa that she keep Connor at arm's distance in chapter 8?
10. What is the significance of it being Christmas Day in chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Connor, Risa and Lev are three very different characters. They come from diverse backgrounds and react to the same situations in very different ways. By the end of the book each of these characters has grown and changed. In this essay, please discuss:
1) What are each of the main character's goals at the beginning of the book?
2) What was the main catalysts for change for each character?
3) What are each of the main character's goals at the end of the book?
4) Which character do you believe has grown the most? The least? Explain and support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Many people believe that stem cell research creates a slippery slope. In fact, former President Bush banned federal funding for embryonic stem cell research while he was in office. He felt that the use of these stem cells was not moral. After reading about Maternity Hospital #6 we can see how the harvesting embryonic stem cells can be abused. However, many people believe that embryonic stem cells are the best way to save human lives.
In this assignment you will take a side in this issue. Stand on once side of the issue or another. If you are unsure of where you stand, take a moment to do some research on the subject. Your paper should include a solid thesis statement as well as facts to support your position. The paper must have a solid introduction, must include 5 supported reasons for your stance, and have a succinct conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Cyrus, CyFi, is a very rich character. He represents so many of the issues that are brought up in the book. CyFi's character forces Lev to reconsider many of his deeply held beliefs about himself and about Unwinds. Discuss the time that Lev and CyFi spend together traveling. Give examples of how CyFi's behavior and circumstances caused Lev to change. How does CyFi represent the author's beliefs about God and the soul? What do you think happens to CyFi after Lev leaves him in Joplin?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)