|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Connor think he can avoid being sent to the harvest camp?
2. What is Lev's first impression of Cyrus?
3. Why does Risa pretend to be Didi?
4. What is Cyrus Finch's nickname?
5. How does Lev feel about pretending to like Risa and Connor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't Risa more supportive when Connor picks up the Storked baby in chapter 11?
2. Explain what CyFi might mean when he says in chapter 21, "I ain't no runaway - I'm a run-to." (Part Three, Chap. 21, p.122)
3. In chapter 5, Officer Nelson goes against his instincts when he agrees to help Risa. How does this hurt him?
4. How will agreeing with Connor and Risa benefit Lev in chapter 6?
5. What might have been Roland's motive when he attacked Risa in chapter 24?
6. How does Connor feel when his girlfriend, Ariana, will not run away with him?
7. In chapter 20, Hannah tells Risa that she and her husband will raise Didi. How does this scene show how Risa's feelings have changed toward the Storked baby?
8. Is Pastor Dan's advice to Lev in chapter 15 the betrayal that Lev feels it is?
9. What happens in chapter 2 that prompts Risa to run away from the bus?
10. How does Risa's plan to test Lev fail at the end of chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cyrus, CyFi, is a very rich character. He represents so many of the issues that are brought up in the book. CyFi's character forces Lev to reconsider many of his deeply held beliefs about himself and about Unwinds. Discuss the time that Lev and CyFi spend together traveling. Give examples of how CyFi's behavior and circumstances caused Lev to change. How does CyFi represent the author's beliefs about God and the soul? What do you think happens to CyFi after Lev leaves him in Joplin?
Essay Topic 2
Every character in "Unwind" grows from the beginning of the story to the end. Lev, Connor, Risa and even Roland become different people as the book progresses. Their individual experiences, and different relationships, change them - for better or worse.
Choose a character from the book and explain how they have changed. Make sure to discuss how their behavior at the beginning of the book is different from their behavior at the end of the book. Give examples from the plot that contributed to their personality change and analyze how each example changed them. Finally, discuss how you think the character added to the overall plot and storyline of the book.
Essay Topic 3
The Admiral's behavior added to the unrest of the teens at the Graveyard. His guarded manner, secrecy and dictatorial ruling contributed to the mob scene that developed in chapter 24. The death of the Goldens, Emby's disappearance and Roland's subversive actions all also contributed to the mob. Explain, in detail, why the teens were rioting. Do you support what they were doing? Why or why not? Give at least 5 examples to support your argument.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)