|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Levi Jedediah Calder?
2. How do the brain bits cause problems for Cyrus?
3. What does Risa decide to treat Lev and Connor?
4. How does Lev feel about being a tithe and his journey to be unwound?
5. How does Connor feel about Lev?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lev justify leading the cops to Risa and Connor in chapter 17?
2. How will agreeing with Connor and Risa benefit Lev in chapter 6?
3. What happens in chapter 2 that prompts Risa to run away from the bus?
4. What do Risa's actions in the woods, in chapter 5, show the reader about her character?
5. What might have been Roland's motive when he attacked Risa in chapter 24?
6. Why isn't Risa more supportive when Connor picks up the Storked baby in chapter 11?
7. In chapter 7, the Unwinds find themselves in the woods for the night. Why is their ability to trust each other imperative?
8. In chapter 5, Officer Nelson goes against his instincts when he agrees to help Risa. How does this hurt him?
9. In chapter 22 Roland arrives at the warehouse. Why does he want to fight Connor so badly?
10. What effect does Connor, Risa and Lev's sharing of their stories have on the group in chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people believe that stem cell research creates a slippery slope. In fact, former President Bush banned federal funding for embryonic stem cell research while he was in office. He felt that the use of these stem cells was not moral. After reading about Maternity Hospital #6 we can see how the harvesting embryonic stem cells can be abused. However, many people believe that embryonic stem cells are the best way to save human lives.
In this assignment you will take a side in this issue. Stand on once side of the issue or another. If you are unsure of where you stand, take a moment to do some research on the subject. Your paper should include a solid thesis statement as well as facts to support your position. The paper must have a solid introduction, must include 5 supported reasons for your stance, and have a succinct conclusion.
Essay Topic 2
Every character in "Unwind" grows from the beginning of the story to the end. Lev, Connor, Risa and even Roland become different people as the book progresses. Their individual experiences, and different relationships, change them - for better or worse.
Choose a character from the book and explain how they have changed. Make sure to discuss how their behavior at the beginning of the book is different from their behavior at the end of the book. Give examples from the plot that contributed to their personality change and analyze how each example changed them. Finally, discuss how you think the character added to the overall plot and storyline of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Connor, Risa and Lev are three very different characters. They come from diverse backgrounds and react to the same situations in very different ways. By the end of the book each of these characters has grown and changed. In this essay, please discuss:
1) What are each of the main character's goals at the beginning of the book?
2) What was the main catalysts for change for each character?
3) What are each of the main character's goals at the end of the book?
4) Which character do you believe has grown the most? The least? Explain and support your answer.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)