|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lev feel about pretending to like Risa and Connor?
2. What reason does Risa give Nelson for being in the woods?
3. Where do the boys sleep for the night as they are walking along the railroad tracks?
4. How does Lev feel about being a tithe and his journey to be unwound?
5. What does Risa decide to treat Lev and Connor?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 24, Risa is almost raped by Roland. What does her anger at Connor tell the reader about her feelings for Connor?
2. In chapter 21 Lev meets Cyrus Finch, CyFi for short. How is his name a play on words?
3. Why isn't Risa more supportive when Connor picks up the Storked baby in chapter 11?
4. What is the significance of Lev's realization that Levi Jedediah Calder no longer exists in chapter 18?
5. What do Risa's actions in the woods, in chapter 5, show the reader about her character?
6. Why does Marcus object to Levi being offered by their family as a tithe when he gives his speech in chapter 3?
7. Why is it so difficult for Lev to believe that Risa and Connor are trying to help him in chapter 6?
8. Why is it so important to Risa that she keep Connor at arm's distance in chapter 8?
9. What might the meeting in chapter 4 of Connor, Levi and Risa foreshadow?
10. In chapter 20, Hannah tells Risa that she and her husband will raise Didi. How does this scene show how Risa's feelings have changed toward the Storked baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Risa arrives at Happy Jack Harvest Camp she becomes embroiled in an argument with one of her counselors. Risa argues that if Unwinds are bad, then some of their "parts" must be bad too. She wants to know how they determine the difference between "good" and "bad" parts and what the camp does with the "bad" parts. Risa's question is a good one, as it asks the reader to think about the role of the soul in creating a person. As shown in CyFi's story, the "bits" of Unwinds that are used still retain some of Unwind's identity.
Pretend that you are either Risa or the Happy Jack counselor. Choose a side and argue your point from their perspective. Make sure that you include details to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Every character in "Unwind" grows from the beginning of the story to the end. Lev, Connor, Risa and even Roland become different people as the book progresses. Their individual experiences, and different relationships, change them - for better or worse.
Choose a character from the book and explain how they have changed. Make sure to discuss how their behavior at the beginning of the book is different from their behavior at the end of the book. Give examples from the plot that contributed to their personality change and analyze how each example changed them. Finally, discuss how you think the character added to the overall plot and storyline of the book.
Essay Topic 3
The Graveyard is a place where Unwinds live until they turn 18. It is not an ideal living place, and the conditions are stark, but the Unwinds receive food, shelter, care and job training until they are able to leave.
Wards of the state in the United States live in youth homes across the country. What are the conditions like at youth homes? What types of services are offered to the youth and teens who live there? How are these places similar to the Graveyard? How are they different? What happens to these children once they turn 18?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)