Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Risa, Connor and Lev begin to bond with each other?
2. What is Risa's reaction to being told she is destined for a harvest camp?
3. What is one problem that the brain bits cause for Cyrus?
4. How does Connor think he can avoid being sent to the harvest camp?
5. Who are the Fatigues?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does the author give of Lev's changed character during his meeting with the pawnbroker in chapter 26?
2. Why have Connor's parents signed forms for him to be sent to a harvest camp in chapter 1?
3. In chapter 28 the Unwinds meet the Admiral. Is it significant that he does not go by a name, but by a title?
4. In chapter 10, Risa devises a plan to get them all a change of clothing. How does this show she considers them a team?
5. In chapter 51 the teens are sent to Happy Jack Harvest Camp. Why is the camps so nice and colorful?
6. Why is it so difficult for Lev to believe that Risa and Connor are trying to help him in chapter 6?
7. Is Risa lucky to be chosen to play piano for new arrivals? Or is she unlucky?
8. What reason(s) might CyFi have for traveling with Lev?
9. Why is Lev willing to become a suicide bomber for the Clapper cause?
10. As Connor arrives at Happy Jack Harvest Camp, in chapter 51, he learns that his reputation has proceeded him. What it his reputation?
Essay Topic 1
When Risa arrives at Happy Jack Harvest Camp she becomes embroiled in an argument with one of her counselors. Risa argues that if Unwinds are bad, then some of their "parts" must be bad too. She wants to know how they determine the difference between "good" and "bad" parts and what the camp does with the "bad" parts. Risa's question is a good one, as it asks the reader to think about the role of the soul in creating a person. As shown in CyFi's story, the "bits" of Unwinds that are used still retain some of Unwind's identity.
Pretend that you are either Risa or the Happy Jack counselor. Choose a side and argue your point from their perspective. Make sure that you include details to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Connor, Risa and Lev are three very different characters. They come from diverse backgrounds and react to the same situations in very different ways. By the end of the book each of these characters has grown and changed. In this essay, please discuss:
1) What are each of the main character's goals at the beginning of the book?
2) What was the main catalysts for change for each character?
3) What are each of the main character's goals at the end of the book?
4) Which character do you believe has grown the most? The least? Explain and support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Cyrus, CyFi, is a very rich character. He represents so many of the issues that are brought up in the book. CyFi's character forces Lev to reconsider many of his deeply held beliefs about himself and about Unwinds. Discuss the time that Lev and CyFi spend together traveling. Give examples of how CyFi's behavior and circumstances caused Lev to change. How does CyFi represent the author's beliefs about God and the soul? What do you think happens to CyFi after Lev leaves him in Joplin?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)