Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Risa, Connor and Lev begin to bond with each other?
2. What is Risa's reaction to being told she is destined for a harvest camp?
3. What is one problem that the brain bits cause for Cyrus?
4. How does Connor think he can avoid being sent to the harvest camp?
5. Who are the Fatigues?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence does the author give of Lev's changed character during his meeting with the pawnbroker in chapter 26?
2. Why have Connor's parents signed forms for him to be sent to a harvest camp in chapter 1?
3. In chapter 28 the Unwinds meet the Admiral. Is it significant that he does not go by a name, but by a title?
4. In chapter 10, Risa devises a plan to get them all a change of clothing. How does this show she considers them a team?
5. In chapter 51 the teens are sent to Happy Jack Harvest Camp. Why is the camps so nice and colorful?
6. Why is it so difficult for Lev to believe that Risa and Connor are trying to help him in chapter 6?
7. Is Risa lucky to be chosen to play piano for new arrivals? Or is she unlucky?
8. What reason(s) might CyFi have for traveling with Lev?
9. Why is Lev willing to become a suicide bomber for the Clapper cause?
10. As Connor arrives at Happy Jack Harvest Camp, in chapter 51, he learns that his reputation has proceeded him. What it his reputation?
Essay Topic 1
Many people believe that stem cell research creates a slippery slope. In fact, former President Bush banned federal funding for embryonic stem cell research while he was in office. He felt that the use of these stem cells was not moral. After reading about Maternity Hospital #6 we can see how the harvesting embryonic stem cells can be abused. However, many people believe that embryonic stem cells are the best way to save human lives.
In this assignment you will take a side in this issue. Stand on once side of the issue or another. If you are unsure of where you stand, take a moment to do some research on the subject. Your paper should include a solid thesis statement as well as facts to support your position. The paper must have a solid introduction, must include 5 supported reasons for your stance, and have a succinct conclusion.
Essay Topic 2
Define dystopian society? Do you believe that "Unwind" represents a dystopian society? Why or why not? Provide at least 3 examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When Risa arrives at Happy Jack Harvest Camp she becomes embroiled in an argument with one of her counselors. Risa argues that if Unwinds are bad, then some of their "parts" must be bad too. She wants to know how they determine the difference between "good" and "bad" parts and what the camp does with the "bad" parts. Risa's question is a good one, as it asks the reader to think about the role of the soul in creating a person. As shown in CyFi's story, the "bits" of Unwinds that are used still retain some of Unwind's identity.
Pretend that you are either Risa or the Happy Jack counselor. Choose a side and argue your point from their perspective. Make sure that you include details to support your argument.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)