|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Risa feel when Connor does not fight Roland?
2. Why does Lev suddenly want to take care of Cyrus?
3. Which character becomes the leader of the trio?
4. What mistake does Connor make that allows the juvey-cops to find him?
5. What happens to the note that Lev writes to the boy on the bus?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 20, Hannah tells Risa that she and her husband will raise Didi. How does this scene show how Risa's feelings have changed toward the Storked baby?
2. Explain what CyFi might mean when he says in chapter 21, "I ain't no runaway - I'm a run-to." (Part Three, Chap. 21, p.122)
3. How does Risa's plan to test Lev fail at the end of chapter 8?
4. Is it possible that Hannah's position as a teacher makes her more inclined to help the Unwinds in chapter 16?
5. How will agreeing with Connor and Risa benefit Lev in chapter 6?
6. How does Lev justify leading the cops to Risa and Connor in chapter 17?
7. In chapter 4, why is Lev frightened by Connor when he is pulled out of the car?
8. In chapter 7, the Unwinds find themselves in the woods for the night. Why is their ability to trust each other imperative?
9. Is Pastor Dan's advice to Lev in chapter 15 the betrayal that Lev feels it is?
10. In chapter 24, Risa is almost raped by Roland. What does her anger at Connor tell the reader about her feelings for Connor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Risa and Connor are arrested by the juvey-cops, they learn that the cops have known about the Admiral and the Graveyard for a year. However, they have decided not to bother the Graveyard and have allowed the Admiral to continue to operate his facility. The juvey-cops claim that they have chosen not to shut down the Graveyard because they would rather not have to chase down Unwinds all over the country.
What other reasons might the juvey-cops have for allowing the Admiral to run the Graveyard? Do you think everyone is supportive of unwinding? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The romance between Risa and Connor is one of the major subplots of the book. Explain how their romance develops and what plot devices are used to push them together and pull them apart. Provide 3 examples in your writing and make sure to explain how the plot effected their romance.
Essay Topic 3
Terrorism is a recurrent theme in "Unwind". The Clappers are a terrorist organization whose mission is to cause chaos and social unrest.
Why do you think Lev joined the Clappers? Do you think the Clapper's mission falls in line with Lev's values? Why or why not? What has happened to Lev throughout the course of the book that may have contributed to his desire to join the Clappers? Do you think Lev has made the right choice? Why or why not?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)