|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In comics, words represent that which can only exist in time, _______.
2. Pictures are ______ information. Writing is _______ information.
3. What is the space between comic panels called?
4. Who is the author of the book?
5. What type of magazine kept comics alive before the 20th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the author's first impressions of comics as a child.
2. How do Japanese comics physically differ from Western comics?
3. What are the three most popular transitions in mainstream Western comics and why?
4. For what do Japanese mainstream comics use aspect-to-aspect transitions?
5. What is McCloud's notion of the Picture Plane?
6. Does McCloud think single panels should be considered comic art?
7. What is the difference between the art form ("medium") and the content?
8. How do people commit closure in electronic media such as a a film?
9. Is Scott McCloud the ultimate authority of comics?
10. How is the screenfold of 8-Deer "Tiger's Claw" considered a comic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
New media is often judged by the standards of the old. Do you think these are appropriate standards? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
McCloud notes that in Eastern art, elements omitted from a work of art are just as important was the work that has been explicitly included. Do you think that missing elements, such as negative space in an image, or silence in a melody, are an important part of art? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
McCloud notes that "We see ourselves in everything. We assign identities and emotions where none exist. And we make the world over in our image." Personification is a literary device that demonstrates McCloud's statement. Think of a time where you personified an inanimate object or abstract notion. What was it? What human attributes did you give to it?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)