|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What transition features a single subject in distinct progressions?
2. Which pair of words does not relate to each other, in terms of comic style?
3. In a panel with a lot of action, such as the one on page 95, each figure is arranged sequentially and the audience will read them left to right. This could be argued as fitting the definition of _______.
4. "To kill a man between panels is to condemn him to ___________."
5. What type of magazine kept comics alive before the 20th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to McCloud, are comics a hybrid of graphic arts and prose fiction?
2. In the panel with the basketball players, how could you add words while depicting one single moment?
3. Does McCloud think that non-sequitur transitions are possible?
4. According to McCloud, why is closure important?
5. Describe the author's first impressions of comics as a child.
6. Does McCloud think single panels should be considered comic art?
7. How is the screenfold of 8-Deer "Tiger's Claw" considered a comic?
8. Give examples of the three different types of icons.
9. How are faces and figures typically drawn in comics? What about backgrounds and landscapes?
10. What is the difference between the art form ("medium") and the content?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
McCloud notes that "We see ourselves in everything. We assign identities and emotions where none exist. And we make the world over in our image." Personification is a literary device that demonstrates McCloud's statement. Think of a time where you personified an inanimate object or abstract notion. What was it? What human attributes did you give to it?
Essay Topic 2
In comics, a great deal of the storytelling occurs between the panels and the reader must use his/her imagination to tell the story. Is McCloud accurate in saying that comics requires more reader participation than any other artform? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
McCloud notes that in Eastern art, elements omitted from a work of art are just as important was the work that has been explicitly included. Do you think that missing elements, such as negative space in an image, or silence in a melody, are an important part of art? Explain your answer.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)