|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first observed that people growing up in the late 20th century wanted roles more than goals?
2. What transition offers no logical relationship between panels?
3. Herge's Tintin was characterized by very iconic characters with unusually realistic backgrounds. This style is called _______.
4. Due to the negative connotation of the word "comics," many comics artists have preferred to be known as ________________________.
5. Who is the 44th comic artist listed in the triangle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does McCloud think single panels should be considered comic art?
2. Why does the author introduce the Margritte painting, "The Treachery of Images"?
3. Is a single image equivalent to a single instant in time?
4. According to McCloud, everything that people experience in life can be separated into which two realms?
5. Give examples of the three different types of icons.
6. What is a Japanese technique usied in cartooning?
7. Is Scott McCloud the ultimate authority of comics?
8. Is there a difference between an animated movie and comics?
9. Describe the author's first impressions of comics as a child.
10. How do people commit closure in electronic media such as a a film?
Essay Topic 1
In aspect-to-aspect transitions, McCloud says that nothing "happens." Is presenting different aspects of a place important to storytelling? Why or why not? Do you think McCloud is accurate in saying that this kind of transition does not move the narrative along?
Essay Topic 2
Eastern and Western approaches to art differ. In graphic arts, for example, Western art often focuses attention to foreground objects only while Eastern art emphasizes both the foreground and the background of negative space. Argue the merits of shortcomings of each approach.
Essay Topic 3
McCloud argues children are fascinated by the simplicity and universal identification of cartoons and that these characteristics allow the viewer to step inside the cartoon universe. Do you agree that by simplifying the drawing style, one allows the viewer to see the message more clearly? Explain your perspective using examples.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)