|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another word for motion lines?
2. When does the author begin practicing to be a comics artist?
3. Besides sound, which of the following can represent a span of time in a single panel ?
4. Using the example of driving to illustrate non-visual awareness, what is the likely response of the driver of the vehicle being struck if one car hits another?
5. Which pair of words does not relate to each other, in terms of comic style?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is a single image equivalent to a single instant in time?
2. Why is "juxtaposed static images in deliberate sequence" not a thorough definition of comics?
3. How do Japanese comics physically differ from Western comics?
4. Give examples of the three different types of icons.
5. For what do Japanese mainstream comics use aspect-to-aspect transitions?
6. What is McCloud's notion of the Picture Plane?
7. How is the Egyptian painting referenced in the book considered a comic?
8. How could an artist lengthen a pause in the conversation between two characters?
9. How are faces and figures typically drawn in comics? What about backgrounds and landscapes?
10. What is the difference between the art form ("medium") and the content?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Art can be thought of as any human activity that doesn't grow out of either basic instinct of survival and reproduction. How do you define art? According to this definition, what are examples of what is and isn't art?
Essay Topic 2
McCloud writes that when he was a child, he believed that the world ceased to exist unless he was present. As he grew older, he began filling in gaps with assumptions in order to get closure. What are strategies and evidence we use to convince ourselves of the existence of things we have not experienced first hand? To test these definitions, consider whether they would stand up to the question of whether extraterrestrial life exists.
Essay Topic 3
The author notes that comics are not the hybrid of graphics and words. What do you think of this statement? Are comics their own entity? Or do they tend to fall into one category more than the other? Explain your answer
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)