|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the structure of a comic, where can senses and emotions be portrayed?
(a) Neither between nor within panels
(b) Within panels
(c) Between panels
(d) Both between and within panels
2. Words and pictures have historically been thought of as base or simplistic. As a result of this mindset, current works of words and pictures have been base and simplistic. This is an example of what psychological phenomenon?
(a) Confirmation bias
(b) Learned helplessness
(c) Self-fulfilling prophecy
(d) Ecological fallacy
3. Aside from the central figure in an image, where else can emotion be depicted?
(a) Silent caption
4. Which style of painting was an honest expression of the internal turmoil of artists?
(b) Art deco
5. What color technique can be used to add depth?
(a) tones and modelling
(b) modelling only
(c) tones only
(d) neither tones nor modelling
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT listed as a flat-color master?
2. Which of the following is a use of color in comics?
3. Which of the following contributed to the shift in resemblance towards meaning in art?
4. What kind of combination treats words as integral parts of the picture?
5. The four color process on better paper created what kind of results?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can words and pictures together create a more meaningful message than each individually?
2. In Chapter 7, how does McCloud see, or define, art?
3. Describe the typical artist who finds idea/purpose after creating art.
4. How can backgrounds indicate invisible ideas such as emotions?
5. In panels rich with images, why would an artist add words?
6. What are the advantages of color in comics?
7. Describe the process of creating art using the six-step path.
8. What is an advantage of combining words and pictures together, as in comics?
9. What problem results from people believing that comics is a new form of media?
10. Describe the difference between the additive primaries and the subtractive primaries.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)