|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The pursuit of truth can be seen as the foundation of which of the following?
(d) All of these
2. The order and emphasis of which two steps demonstrates the most dramatic difference?
(a) Form and idea/purpose
(b) Idiom and Form
(c) Idiom and idea/purpose
(d) Form and structure
3. Pictures and words should have what kind of relationship?
4. What drawing style did Jooste Swarte use to depict cool sophistication and irony?
(a) Polite jagged lines
(b) Crisp elegant lines and jazzy designs
(c) Thick black lines
(d) Large gutters and thin uneven lines
5. What is the most common type of combination where words and pictures go hand in hand to convey an idea that neither could convey alone?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most widely-used, most complex, and most versatile synaesthetic icon?
2. After impressionism, art experienced a shift away from _______ and toward _______.
3. What step finishes the first superficial exposure to the work?
4. Who came up with the first symbols to record certain commodities?
5. Who drew Dick Tracy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In panels rich with images, why would an artist add words?
2. Describe the process of creating art using the six-step path.
3. What problem results from people believing that comics is a new form of media?
4. In Chapter 7, how does McCloud see, or define, art?
5. How does McCloud feel about color and comics?
6. How can backgrounds indicate invisible ideas such as emotions?
7. Why do people think words and pictures together is more simplistic than either art individually?
8. How can an artist depict emotion in a comic?
9. What was one result of the color printing used for superheroes?
10. What is an advantage of combining words and pictures together, as in comics?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)