|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the time after printing was invented, when words and pictures appeared together, how were they combined?
(a) Pictures always appeared larger.
(b) Words and pictures co-mingled.
(c) Words always appeared larger.
(d) Words and pictures stayed separate.
2. Which of the following creators is often regarded as a storyteller who says something through comics and controlling their medium?
(c) All of these
3. Which style of painting was an honest expression of the internal turmoil of artists?
(d) Art deco
4. The mixing of words and pictures is more _______ than _______.
(a) alchemy; science
(b) mathematics; alchemy
(c) mathematics; psychology
(d) psychology; science
5. What did Eisner call a desperation device?
(a) Sound effects
(b) Motion line
(d) Word balloon
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose uneven lines pantomimed the inner struggles of modern life?
2. What step finishes the first superficial exposure to the work?
3. In black and white, the ideas ______ the art are communicated more ______.
4. Which of the following artists was NOT known for a more subjective palette?
5. What is the concept of uniting different art forms associated with different senses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an advantage of combining words and pictures together, as in comics?
2. Describe the process of creating art using the six-step path.
3. Describe the typical artist who finds idea/purpose after creating art.
4. How can a word balloon vary?
5. What was one result of the color printing used for superheroes?
6. How does McCloud feel about color and comics?
7. What is synaesthetics?
8. How can backgrounds indicate invisible ideas such as emotions?
9. How can words and pictures together create a more meaningful message than each individually?
10. Describe the typical artist who starts with an idea/purpose and then creates art.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)