|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were innovative characteristics of Rudolphe Töpffer's work?
(b) Panel borders
(c) Interdependent combination of words and pictures
(d) All of the above
2. What is typically the third most common type of transition in the most storytelling technique used in comics?
3. What does McCloud name the two bastions of cartoon art?
(a) Underground and erotica comics
(b) Superhero and children's comics
(c) Erotica and drama comics
(d) Underground and children's comics
4. What panel-to-panel transition requires the least amount of closure?
5. Which artist was the first to depict motion by using a single line?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of comics, as defined in Understanding Comics?
2. How are Egyptian paintings read?
3. How long is the screenfold of 8-Deer "Tiger's-Claw" that was discovered by Cortes around 1519?
4. Who observed that a non-visual awareness occurs when people interact with inanimate objects?
5. What object is painted in "The Treachery of Images?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Does McCloud think single panels should be considered comic art?
2. Describe the author's first impressions of comics as a child.
3. Is Scott McCloud the ultimate authority of comics?
4. How could an artist lengthen a pause in the conversation between two characters?
5. What is McCloud's explanation for why the human mind has little difficulty converting shapes and images into faces?
6. What are the three most popular transitions in mainstream Western comics and why?
7. How is the Egyptian painting referenced in the book considered a comic?
8. What is the difference between the art form ("medium") and the content?
9. How are faces and figures typically drawn in comics? What about backgrounds and landscapes?
10. What is the difference between closure of electronic media and closure in comics?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)