|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Visual iconography is to vocabulary as closure is to _______________.
2. What is the space between comic panels called?
(a) The ditch
(b) The jump
(c) The frame
(d) The gutter
3. In comics, words represent that which can only exist in time, _______.
4. In a single image, what can you use to add words without introducing time?
(a) One-word reply
(b) Silent captions
(c) Sound exclamations
(d) Dialogue bubbles
5. Which of the following icons are fluid and variable in how realistic they are?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author say is the father of modern comics?
2. The author believes that comics is an art form similar to which of the following?
3. What transition bypasses time and sets a wandering eye on different aspects of the same place, idea or mood?
4. What is an example of comics that is not referred to as comics?
5. Panel shapes affect which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to McCloud, why is closure important?
2. How is the screenfold of 8-Deer "Tiger's Claw" considered a comic?
3. Why is "juxtaposed static images in deliberate sequence" not a thorough definition of comics?
4. What are the three most popular transitions in mainstream Western comics and why?
5. According to McCloud, are comics a hybrid of graphic arts and prose fiction?
6. Describe what cartooning style is.
7. Does McCloud think that non-sequitur transitions are possible?
8. What is McCloud's notion of the Picture Plane?
9. How can an artist depict time in comics?
10. Why does the author introduce the Margritte painting, "The Treachery of Images"?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)