|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides sound, which of the following can represent a span of time in a single panel ?
(a) Wider gutters
(b) Borderless panels
(c) Motion lines
(d) Silent captions
2. What transition stays within a scene or idea and requires more closure from the reader in order to find the transition meaningful?
3. Which of the following is NOT an American comic artist that uses the style of creating one set of lines to see and another to be?
(a) Dave Sim and Derhard
(b) Jaime Hernandez
(c) Carl Barks
(d) Tom King
4. Which of the following is an assumption that comics artists make about the reader?
(a) They read the comics in one sitting.
(b) They read the panels in correct order.
(c) They have read previous stories in the series.
(d) They will like the story.
5. What was the name of Max Ernst's surreal plate sequence?
(a) Carved Novel
(b) Graphic Novel
(c) Collage Novel
(d) Woodcut Novels
Short Answer Questions
1. The author believes that comics is an art form similar to which of the following?
2. Who observed that a non-visual awareness occurs when people interact with inanimate objects?
3. Who is the 44th comic artist listed in the triangle?
4. What was the title of the sequel to "A Harlot's Progress?"
5. In comics, words represent that which can only exist in time, _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Does McCloud think that non-sequitur transitions are possible?
2. How are faces and figures typically drawn in comics? What about backgrounds and landscapes?
3. Give examples of the three different types of icons.
4. How do words introduce time into a single frame?
5. How is the Egyptian painting referenced in the book considered a comic?
6. Is Scott McCloud the ultimate authority of comics?
7. Does McCloud think single panels should be considered comic art?
8. According to McCloud, are comics a hybrid of graphic arts and prose fiction?
9. What is the difference between closure of electronic media and closure in comics?
10. What are different ways to portray motion within panels?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)