|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the author say is the father of modern comics?
(a) Will Eisner
(b) Stan Lee
(c) Rudolphe Töpffer
(d) Scott McCloud
2. Herge's Tintin was characterized by very iconic characters with unusually realistic backgrounds. This style is called _______.
3. What is the space between comic panels called?
(a) The jump
(b) The ditch
(c) The gutter
(d) The frame
4. Comics relay on _____ sense(s) to convey a world of experience.
5. Who is the 44th comic artist listed in the triangle?
(a) Gilbert Hernandez
(b) Lynda Barry
(c) Craig Russell
(d) Mary Fleener
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a powerful force that happens between the panels that allows viewers to use their imagination?
2. What determines the duration of time and dimensions of space in a panel?
3. Using the pictorial vocabulary pyramid, Mary Fleener's style is NOT typically comprised of ________.
4. What transition offers no logical relationship between panels?
5. How are Egyptian paintings read?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people commit closure in electronic media such as a a film?
2. Describe what cartooning style is.
3. According to McCloud, everything that people experience in life can be separated into which two realms?
4. What is the difference between the art form ("medium") and the content?
5. Does McCloud think that non-sequitur transitions are possible?
6. What is the difference between closure of electronic media and closure in comics?
7. Describe the author's first impressions of comics as a child.
8. How is the Egyptian painting referenced in the book considered a comic?
9. Is there a difference between an animated movie and comics?
10. Is Scott McCloud the ultimate authority of comics?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)