|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another word for motion lines?
(d) Swoosh signs
2. What is the most common type of transition in the most storytelling technique used in comics?
3. Which of the following artists uses more transitions than normal?
(a) Jack Kirby
(c) Osamu Tezuka
(d) G. Hernandez
4. In comics, words represent that which can only exist in time, _______.
5. Due to the negative connotation of the word "comics," many comics artists have preferred to be known as ________________________.
(a) Commercial artists
(d) All of the above
Short Answer Questions
1. What is typically the second most common type of transition in the most storytelling technique used in comics?
2. Most Japanese comics first appear published in __________________.
3. What is a powerful force that happens between the panels that allows viewers to use their imagination?
4. The author believes that comics is an art form similar to which of the following?
5. "To kill a man between panels is to condemn him to ___________."
Short Essay Questions
1. How do words introduce time into a single frame?
2. How is the screenfold of 8-Deer "Tiger's Claw" considered a comic?
3. How do people commit closure in electronic media such as a a film?
4. What is McCloud's notion of the Picture Plane?
5. Describe the author's first impressions of comics as a child.
6. What are different ways to portray motion within panels?
7. Is Scott McCloud the ultimate authority of comics?
8. What is the difference between the art form ("medium") and the content?
9. Why does the author introduce the Margritte painting, "The Treachery of Images"?
10. According to McCloud, why is closure important?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)