|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This effect of contrasting characters and backgrounds is used by which of the following?
(a) Jacques Tardi
(d) All of the following
2. Which of the following is NOT an American comic artist that uses the style of creating one set of lines to see and another to be?
(a) Jaime Hernandez
(b) Carl Barks
(c) Dave Sim and Derhard
(d) Tom King
3. Who created "A Harlot's Progress," published in 1731?
(a) Lynd Ward
(b) William Hogarth
(c) Frans Masereel
(d) Max Ernst
4. Which artist started the trend to incorporate photographic streaking to depict motion?
(a) Bill Everett
(b) Gene Mager
(c) Jack Kirby
(d) Gene Colan
5. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of comics, as defined in Understanding Comics?
(a) Juxtaposed pictorial and other images
(c) In deliberate sequence
(d) Intended to convey information and/or produce an aesthetic response in the viewer
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the author begin practicing to be a comics artist?
2. Japanese comics artists also drew more realistic characters to emphasize __________________________.
3. Within a comic storyline, what is the amount of time that passes from one panel to the next?
4. Who is the author of the book?
5. Using the pictorial vocabulary pyramid, Mary Fleener's style is NOT typically comprised of ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How can an artist depict time in comics?
2. What is the difference between the art form ("medium") and the content?
3. Describe what cartooning style is.
4. What is McCloud's explanation for why the human mind has little difficulty converting shapes and images into faces?
5. What is McCloud's notion of the Picture Plane?
6. Does McCloud think that non-sequitur transitions are possible?
7. What is the difference between closure of electronic media and closure in comics?
8. Describe the author's first impressions of comics as a child.
9. How do words introduce time into a single frame?
10. Is Scott McCloud the ultimate authority of comics?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)