|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Japanese comics artists also drew more realistic characters to emphasize __________________________.
(a) the character's relatability
(b) the strokes
(c) their "otherness" from the reader
(d) the artist's range and skill
2. What object is painted in "The Treachery of Images?"
(a) A flute
(b) A drum
(c) A pipe
(d) A spoon
3. What were innovative characteristics of Rudolphe Töpffer's work?
(a) Interdependent combination of words and pictures
(b) All of the above
(c) Panel borders
4. Comic panels break up which of the following?
(a) Space and consistency
(b) Sound and movement
(c) Time and space
(d) Time and sound
5. What new law was created to protect Töpffer's new art form following the successful publication of "A Harlot's Progress" and its sequel?
(a) Restraining order
(b) Minimum wage
(c) Income tax
Short Answer Questions
1. Which pair of words does not relate to each other, in terms of comic style?
2. How are Egyptian paintings read?
3. This effect of contrasting characters and backgrounds is used by which of the following?
4. What transition bypasses time and sets a wandering eye on different aspects of the same place, idea or mood?
5. Widening the shape of a panel can affect the _______ of time.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the screenfold of 8-Deer "Tiger's Claw" considered a comic?
2. How can an artist depict time in comics?
3. How is the Egyptian painting referenced in the book considered a comic?
4. How do words introduce time into a single frame?
5. According to McCloud, everything that people experience in life can be separated into which two realms?
6. What are different ways to portray motion within panels?
7. Is a single image equivalent to a single instant in time?
8. Describe what cartooning style is.
9. Is there a difference between an animated movie and comics?
10. How do Japanese comics physically differ from Western comics?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)