|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a powerful force that happens between the panels that allows viewers to use their imagination?
2. What were innovative characteristics of Rudolphe Töpffer's work?
(a) Interdependent combination of words and pictures
(b) All of the above
(c) Panel borders
3. Who was the woodcut artist known for his silent "Woodcut Novels" of fables?
(a) Frans Masereel
(b) William Hogarth
(c) Max Ernst
(d) Lynd Ward
4. What is an example of comics that is not referred to as comics?
(b) Single-panel cartoons
(d) Live-action movies
5. "To kill a man between panels is to condemn him to ___________."
(a) be consigned to oblivion
(b) a thousand deaths
Short Answer Questions
1. When reading comics, how many senses are used between panels?
2. What genre cannot exist in comics?
3. Which country's artists widely adopted photographic trickery such as blurring and streaking soon after its inception?
4. Besides sound, which of the following can represent a span of time in a single panel ?
5. Japanese comics artists also drew more realistic characters to emphasize __________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How could an artist lengthen a pause in the conversation between two characters?
2. What is the difference between the art form ("medium") and the content?
3. Why is "juxtaposed static images in deliberate sequence" not a thorough definition of comics?
4. What is McCloud's explanation for why the human mind has little difficulty converting shapes and images into faces?
5. What are different ways to portray motion within panels?
6. What is McCloud's notion of the Picture Plane?
7. How do people commit closure in electronic media such as a a film?
8. Is there a difference between an animated movie and comics?
9. For what do Japanese mainstream comics use aspect-to-aspect transitions?
10. How do Japanese comics physically differ from Western comics?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)