|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The mixing of words and pictures is more _______ than _______.
(a) alchemy; science
(b) mathematics; psychology
(c) psychology; science
(d) mathematics; alchemy
2. Whose artwork incorporated mad lines to create crazy toddler?
(a) R. Crumb
(b) Chester Gould
(c) Carl Bark
(d) Krystine Kryttre
3. Which of the following artists was NOT known for a more subjective palette?
4. Whose work often evoked a world of depravity and morbid decay through dense puddles of ink and fraying linework?
(a) Jose Munoz
(c) Jules Feiffer
5. The combination of printed art and literature has traditionally been thought of as a style for which audience?
6. Which of the following is NOT a way to vary word balloons?
(b) All of the above
(d) Lettering style
7. What aspect of comics has been especially sensitive to changes in technology?
8. Which is true of most written languages?
(a) They represent sound only and lose resemblance to the visible world.
(b) They sound how they look.
(c) They are not abstract.
(d) They bear traces of their ancient pictorial heritage (e.g. Chinese).
9. Which of the following is not a benefit from non-basic human activities such as art?
(a) Leads to useful discoveries
(b) Provides exercise for minds and bodies
(c) Provides emotional outlets
(d) All of these
10. In black and white, the ideas ______ the art are communicated more ______.
(a) in front of; directly
(b) in front of; indirectly
(c) behind; indirectly
(d) behind; directly
11. Whose uneven lines pantomimed the inner struggles of modern life?
(c) Jules Feiffer
(d) Jose Munoz
12. Which of the following is true, according to historical evidence?
(a) Pictures and spoken word developed simultaneously.
(b) Written word predates pictures.
(c) Pictures predate written word.
(d) Written word predate spoken word.
13. After impressionism, art experienced a shift away from _______ and toward _______.
(a) resemblance; meaning
(b) meaning; picture plane
(c) picture plane; meaning
(d) picture plane; resemblance
14. What color of light is created by adding all three additive primaries?
15. One property of flat colors is a tendency to emphasize the _____ of animate and inanimate objects
Short Answer Questions
1. What step is the genre or school of art to which the work belongs?
2. Which of the following is NOT an additive primary?
3. Who came up with the first symbols to record certain commodities?
4. The masters of flat-color comics are also masters of what?
5. Who drew Dick Tracy?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)