|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The pursuit of truth can be seen as the foundation of which of the following?
(d) All of these
2. The order and emphasis of which two steps demonstrates the most dramatic difference?
(a) Form and idea/purpose
(b) Idiom and Form
(c) Idiom and idea/purpose
(d) Form and structure
3. Pictures and words should have what kind of relationship?
4. What drawing style did Jooste Swarte use to depict cool sophistication and irony?
(a) Polite jagged lines
(b) Crisp elegant lines and jazzy designs
(c) Thick black lines
(d) Large gutters and thin uneven lines
5. What is the most common type of combination where words and pictures go hand in hand to convey an idea that neither could convey alone?
6. What is the most widely-used, most complex, and most versatile synaesthetic icon?
(b) Word balloon
(c) Sound effects
(d) Motion line
7. After impressionism, art experienced a shift away from _______ and toward _______.
(a) picture plane; resemblance
(b) picture plane; meaning
(c) meaning; picture plane
(d) resemblance; meaning
8. What step finishes the first superficial exposure to the work?
9. Who came up with the first symbols to record certain commodities?
(a) Roman rulers
(b) Ancient Greeks
(c) Sumerians in ancient Mesopotamia
(d) Egyptian accountants
10. Who drew Dick Tracy?
(a) R. Crumb
(b) Krystine Kryttre
(c) Chester Gould
(d) Carl Bark
11. The mixing of words and pictures is more _______ than _______.
(a) alchemy; science
(b) psychology; science
(c) mathematics; psychology
(d) mathematics; alchemy
12. Which of the following is true, according to historical evidence?
(a) Pictures and spoken word developed simultaneously.
(b) Written word predate spoken word.
(c) Written word predates pictures.
(d) Pictures predate written word.
13. The bold lines, obtuse angles and heavy blacks in Dick Tracy were meant to suggest a _________ of adults.
(a) optimistic, dramatic attitude
(b) profitable, kind attitude
(c) bleak, neutral attitude
(d) grim, deadly attitude
14. Which color is NOT a subtractive primary?
15. Which blatantly expressionistic artist created The Underground?
(a) Rory Hayes
(b) Charles Schultz
(c) Carl Bark
(d) Robert Crumb
Short Answer Questions
1. One property of flat colors is a tendency to emphasize the _____ of animate and inanimate objects
2. In what year were the three additive primaries isolated?
3. Whose artwork incorporated mad lines to create crazy toddler?
4. What is the first step of art creation, the one that contains the work's content, emotions and philosophies?
5. The four color process on better paper created what kind of results?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)