|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The pursuit of truth can be seen as the foundation of which of the following?
(c) All of these
2. Each new medium begins by imitating its _______.
3. In black and white, the ideas ______ the art are communicated more ______.
(a) in front of; directly
(b) in front of; indirectly
(c) behind; directly
(d) behind; indirectly
4. After impressionism, art experienced a shift away from _______ and toward _______.
(a) picture plane; meaning
(b) picture plane; resemblance
(c) meaning; picture plane
(d) resemblance; meaning
5. Whose uneven lines pantomimed the inner struggles of modern life?
(a) Jules Feiffer
(d) Jose Munoz
6. Which of the following is not a benefit from non-basic human activities such as art?
(a) All of these
(b) Leads to useful discoveries
(c) Provides exercise for minds and bodies
(d) Provides emotional outlets
7. Words and pictures have historically been thought of as base or simplistic. As a result of this mindset, current works of words and pictures have been base and simplistic. This is an example of what psychological phenomenon?
(a) Learned helplessness
(b) Confirmation bias
(c) Ecological fallacy
(d) Self-fulfilling prophecy
8. What combination has both words and pictures that send the same message?
9. What aspect of comics has been especially sensitive to changes in technology?
10. Which of the following is NOT an example of possible primitive art?
(a) Drawing lines in the dirt with a stick
(b) Beating a pair of stones together
(c) Kicking and moving arms
(d) Running from a sabertooth tiger
11. Who was the creator of Uncle $crooge?
(a) Carl Park
(b) Krystine Kryttre
(c) R. Crumb
(d) Chester Gould
12. Which of the following artists was NOT known for a more subjective palette?
13. Which of the following activity does not grow out of basic human instincts?
(b) fight or flight
14. Who said, "Art does not reproduce the visible; rather it makes visible?"
(a) Paul Klee
(b) Wassily Kandinsky
(c) French poet Baudelaire
(d) Richard Wagner
15. Which artist incorporated neurotic quill-lines into his/her work?
(a) R. Crumb
(b) Chester Gould
(c) Krystine Kryttre
(d) Carl Bark
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT listed as a flat-color master?
2. Which French pianist devised the idea of three subtractive primaries?
3. Which of the following is NOT an additive primary?
4. Which of the following is NOT a way to vary word balloons?
5. In what year were the three additive primaries isolated?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)