|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an example of possible primitive art?
(a) Running from a sabertooth tiger
(b) Beating a pair of stones together
(c) Kicking and moving arms
(d) Drawing lines in the dirt with a stick
2. In what year were the three additive primaries isolated?
3. What is the most common type of combination where words and pictures go hand in hand to convey an idea that neither could convey alone?
4. What kind of combination treats words as integral parts of the picture?
(d) Word specific
5. Which of the following is NOT an additive primary?
6. Whose uneven lines pantomimed the inner struggles of modern life?
(b) Jules Feiffer
(c) Jose Munoz
7. The pursuit of truth can be seen as the foundation of which of the following?
(b) All of these
8. Which of the following creators is often regarded as a pioneer or revolutionary whose art became the purpose?
(d) All of these
9. Which of the following is a use of color in comics?
(a) To express a mood
(b) To create a sensation
(c) To add depth
(d) All of these
10. Which color is NOT a subtractive primary?
11. What fruit is used to illustrate the path of creating art?
12. What step is the genre or school of art to which the work belongs?
13. The mixing of words and pictures is more _______ than _______.
(a) mathematics; alchemy
(b) mathematics; psychology
(c) alchemy; science
(d) psychology; science
14. What combination has both words and pictures that send the same message?
15. Words and pictures have historically been thought of as base or simplistic. As a result of this mindset, current works of words and pictures have been base and simplistic. This is an example of what psychological phenomenon?
(a) Ecological fallacy
(b) Self-fulfilling prophecy
(c) Confirmation bias
(d) Learned helplessness
Short Answer Questions
1. In the time after the printing press, which art form was obsessed with resemblance, light and color?
2. In the structure of a comic, where can senses and emotions be portrayed?
3. Each new medium begins by imitating its _______.
4. When readers discover comics for the first time, comics act as as an ___________ between storyteller and audience.
5. The bold lines, obtuse angles and heavy blacks in Dick Tracy were meant to suggest a _________ of adults.
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)