|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is true of most written languages?
(a) They bear traces of their ancient pictorial heritage (e.g. Chinese).
(b) They represent sound only and lose resemblance to the visible world.
(c) They are not abstract.
(d) They sound how they look.
2. Which artist incorporated neurotic quill-lines into his/her work?
(a) R. Crumb
(b) Krystine Kryttre
(c) Chester Gould
(d) Carl Bark
3. What Scottish physicist isolated the three additive primaries?
(a) Louis Ducos Du Hauron
(b) Alexander Graham Bell
(c) Lord Kelvin
(d) Sir James Clerk
4. Who came up with the first symbols to record certain commodities?
(a) Egyptian accountants
(b) Ancient Greeks
(c) Sumerians in ancient Mesopotamia
(d) Roman rulers
5. Which of the following is not a benefit from non-basic human activities such as art?
(a) All of these
(b) Leads to useful discoveries
(c) Provides exercise for minds and bodies
(d) Provides emotional outlets
6. What is the most common type of combination where words and pictures go hand in hand to convey an idea that neither could convey alone?
7. In what year were the three additive primaries isolated?
8. After impressionism, art experienced a shift away from _______ and toward _______.
(a) resemblance; meaning
(b) picture plane; meaning
(c) picture plane; resemblance
(d) meaning; picture plane
9. Which of the following activity does not grow out of basic human instincts?
(c) fight or flight
10. Which style of painting was an honest expression of the internal turmoil of artists?
(a) Art deco
11. Aside from the central figure in an image, where else can emotion be depicted?
(d) Silent caption
12. What aspect of comics has been especially sensitive to changes in technology?
13. What is the core of a work of art?
(b) None of these
14. What step determines whether the art will be a book, a sculpture or a song?
15. One property of flat colors is a tendency to emphasize the _____ of animate and inanimate objects
Short Answer Questions
1. The combination of printed art and literature has traditionally been thought of as a style for which audience?
2. Flat color can make shapes, figures and backgrounds more ________.
3. When readers discover comics for the first time, comics act as as an ___________ between storyteller and audience.
4. In the time after printing was invented, when words and pictures appeared together, how were they combined?
5. What fruit is used to illustrate the path of creating art?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)