|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In comics, words represent that which can only exist in time, _______.
2. Which artist was the first to depict motion by using a single line?
3. What transition offers no logical relationship between panels?
4. What is the space between comic panels called?
(a) The ditch
(b) The frame
(c) The gutter
(d) The jump
5. Who created "A Harlot's Progress," published in 1731?
(a) Lynd Ward
(b) William Hogarth
(c) Max Ernst
(d) Frans Masereel
6. What is a powerful force that happens between the panels that allows viewers to use their imagination?
7. What is an example of comics that is not referred to as comics?
(a) Live-action movies
(d) Single-panel cartoons
8. Who was the woodcut artist known for his silent "Woodcut Novels" of fables?
(a) Max Ernst
(b) Lynd Ward
(c) William Hogarth
(d) Frans Masereel
9. Which of the following is NOT an American comic artist that uses the style of creating one set of lines to see and another to be?
(a) Carl Barks
(b) Jaime Hernandez
(c) Dave Sim and Derhard
(d) Tom King
10. Comic panels break up which of the following?
(a) Space and consistency
(b) Sound and movement
(c) Time and sound
(d) Time and space
11. What is typically the third most common type of transition in the most storytelling technique used in comics?
12. What techniques can be used to create timelessness?
(a) Bleeding a panel
(b) A borderless panel
(c) Silent panel with no clues as to duration
(d) All of the above
13. The author likens the representation of Egyptian hieroglyphics to which of the following?
14. This effect of contrasting characters and backgrounds is used by which of the following?
(a) Jacques Tardi
(c) All of the following
15. Most Japanese comics first appear published in __________________.
(a) manga magazines
(c) enormous anthology titles
(d) thin publications
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following point in time of the panel is represented by where your eyes are focused?
2. Who observed that a non-visual awareness occurs when people interact with inanimate objects?
3. What panel-to-panel transition requires the least amount of closure?
4. In a single image, what can you use to add words without introducing time?
5. Which of the following icons has a fixed and absolute meaning?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)