|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Max Ernst's surreal plate sequence?
(a) Carved Novel
(b) Graphic Novel
(c) Woodcut Novels
(d) Collage Novel
2. Due to the negative connotation of the word "comics," many comics artists have preferred to be known as ________________________.
(b) Commercial artists
(d) All of the above
3. Most Japanese comics first appear published in __________________.
(a) enormous anthology titles
(b) thin publications
(c) manga magazines
4. What is the phenomenon of observing the parts but perceiving the whole?
5. Panel shapes affect which of the following?
6. Using the pictorial vocabulary pyramid, Mary Fleener's style is NOT typically comprised of ________.
(b) iconic content
(d) non-iconic content
7. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of comics, as defined in Understanding Comics?
(a) In deliberate sequence
(b) Intended to convey information and/or produce an aesthetic response in the viewer
(c) Juxtaposed pictorial and other images
8. Comics relay on _____ sense(s) to convey a world of experience.
9. How long is the screenfold of 8-Deer "Tiger's-Claw" that was discovered by Cortes around 1519?
(a) 36 inches
(b) 36 meters
(c) 36 foot
(d) 36 yards
10. Each panel of a comic shows a ______________________.
(a) several motions in time
(b) single moment in time
(c) illusion of time and motion
(d) multiple moments in time
11. Which of the following can lengthen the pause between panels?
(a) All of the above
(b) The number of panels
(c) The space between panels
(d) The content of the panels
12. What is typically the second most common type of transition in the most storytelling technique used in comics?
13. Comic readers are conditioned by real life and other media to expect a _______ progression in comics.
14. What genre cannot exist in comics?
(c) None of the above
(d) Epic poetry
15. What is typically the third most common type of transition in the most storytelling technique used in comics?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the title of the sequel to "A Harlot's Progress?"
2. Which of the following artists uses more transitions than normal?
3. Who painted "The Treachery of Images?"
4. In a single image, what can you use to add words without introducing time?
5. How are Egyptian paintings read?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)