|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The art of comics is as _______ as it is ________.
(a) divisive; multiplicative
(b) meaningless; abstract
(c) humorous; generous
(d) subtractive; additive
2. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of comics, as defined in Understanding Comics?
(a) Juxtaposed pictorial and other images
(b) In deliberate sequence
(d) Intended to convey information and/or produce an aesthetic response in the viewer
3. Most Japanese comics first appear published in __________________.
(b) manga magazines
(c) enormous anthology titles
(d) thin publications
4. Which artist was the first to depict motion by using a single line?
5. The author likens the representation of Egyptian hieroglyphics to which of the following?
6. What transition bypasses time and sets a wandering eye on different aspects of the same place, idea or mood?
7. Using the pictorial vocabulary pyramid, Herges' style is typically comprised of __________________.
(a) meaning and icon
(b) icon and language
(c) reality and language
(d) icon and reality
8. This effect of contrasting characters and backgrounds is used by which of the following?
(a) Jacques Tardi
(c) All of the following
9. What was the name of Max Ernst's surreal plate sequence?
(a) Collage Novel
(b) Graphic Novel
(c) Woodcut Novels
(d) Carved Novel
10. What transition offers no logical relationship between panels?
11. Which is an example of our ability to extend our identities into inanimate objects?
(d) All of the above
12. What is the phenomenon of observing the parts but perceiving the whole?
13. What genre cannot exist in comics?
(b) None of the above
(d) Epic poetry
14. Closure in comics fosters an intimacy between ________________________.
(a) the brand and the distributor
(b) the creator and audience
(c) the reader and the frame
(d) the artist and the publisher
15. What panel-to-panel transition requires the least amount of closure?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which pair of words does not relate to each other, in terms of comic style?
2. What is a powerful force that happens between the panels that allows viewers to use their imagination?
3. What does McCloud name the two bastions of cartoon art?
4. How long is the tapestry detailing the Norman Conquest of England?
5. Comic readers are conditioned by real life and other media to expect a _______ progression in comics.
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)