|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which country's artists widely adopted photographic trickery such as blurring and streaking soon after its inception?
2. What techniques can be used to create timelessness?
(a) Silent panel with no clues as to duration
(b) All of the above
(c) Bleeding a panel
(d) A borderless panel
3. Which pair of words does not relate to each other, in terms of comic style?
(a) Objective; subjective
(b) Complex; simple
(c) Famous; anonymous
(d) Realistic; iconic
4. Who does the author say is the father of modern comics?
(a) Stan Lee
(b) Scott McCloud
(c) Will Eisner
(d) Rudolphe Töpffer
5. What additional early examples of comics does the author mention but NOT cover?
(a) Greek painting
(b) Japanese scrolls
(c) Trajan's column
(d) All of the above
6. Who first observed that people growing up in the late 20th century wanted roles more than goals?
(a) Sergio Argonnes
(c) Dave McKean
(d) Stan Lee
7. Which artist was the first to depict motion by using a single line?
8. What genre cannot exist in comics?
(c) Epic poetry
(d) None of the above
9. What is typically the second most common type of transition in the most storytelling technique used in comics?
10. Comic readers are conditioned by real life and other media to expect a _______ progression in comics.
11. What transition features a single subject in distinct progressions?
12. What does McCloud name the two bastions of cartoon art?
(a) Underground and children's comics
(b) Erotica and drama comics
(c) Underground and erotica comics
(d) Superhero and children's comics
13. Japanese comics artists also drew more realistic characters to emphasize __________________________.
(a) the strokes
(b) the artist's range and skill
(c) their "otherness" from the reader
(d) the character's relatability
14. The author believes that comics is an art form similar to which of the following?
(b) Written word
(d) All of the above
15. What does McCloud call the "ultimate abstraction?"
Short Answer Questions
1. The art of comics is as _______ as it is ________.
2. Using the pictorial vocabulary pyramid, Herges' style is typically comprised of __________________.
3. Pictures are ______ information. Writing is _______ information.
4. What is the space between comic panels called?
5. Using the pictorial vocabulary pyramid, Mary Fleener's style is NOT typically comprised of ________.
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)