|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does McCloud call the "ultimate abstraction?"
2. What invention had a significant effect on comics?
(b) Ballpoint pens
(c) Recycled paper
(d) Colored ink
3. Due to the negative connotation of the word "comics," many comics artists have preferred to be known as ________________________.
(b) All of the above
(d) Commercial artists
4. Who does the author say is the father of modern comics?
(a) Stan Lee
(b) Will Eisner
(c) Rudolphe Töpffer
(d) Scott McCloud
5. Which comic artist introduced the storytelling techniques used in most mainstream comics?
(a) Charles Schultz
(b) Jack Kirby
(c) Stan Lee
(d) Mary Fleener
6. Using the example of driving to illustrate non-visual awareness, what is the likely response of the driver of the vehicle being struck if one car hits another?
(a) "He hit me!"
(b) "His car hit my car!"
(c) "He hit my car!"
(d) "His car hit me!"
7. Which of the following point in time of the panel is represented by where your eyes are focused?
8. Which of the following is an assumption that comics artists make about the reader?
(a) They read the comics in one sitting.
(b) They have read previous stories in the series.
(c) They read the panels in correct order.
(d) They will like the story.
9. Using the pictorial vocabulary pyramid, Herges' style is typically comprised of __________________.
(a) reality and language
(b) meaning and icon
(c) icon and language
(d) icon and reality
10. McCloud notes that we perceive the world as ______ through the experience of our senses, even though our senses can only reveal a _______ world.
(a) incomplete; whole
(b) incomplete; stable
(c) whole; fragmented
(d) whole; distrustful
11. Which of the following icons are fluid and variable in how realistic they are?
12. This effect of contrasting characters and backgrounds is used by which of the following?
(c) All of the following
(d) Jacques Tardi
13. Comics relay on _____ sense(s) to convey a world of experience.
14. Which of the following artists uses more transitions than normal?
(a) G. Hernandez
(b) Osamu Tezuka
(c) Jack Kirby
15. What determines the duration of time and dimensions of space in a panel?
(a) The size
(b) The sequence
(c) The shape
(d) The contents
Short Answer Questions
1. "To kill a man between panels is to condemn him to ___________."
2. Comic panels break up which of the following?
3. What type of magazine kept comics alive before the 20th century?
4. What transition bypasses time and sets a wandering eye on different aspects of the same place, idea or mood?
5. In comics, words represent that which can only exist in time, _______.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)