|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Within a comic storyline, what is the amount of time that passes from one panel to the next?
(a) One second
(c) One day
(d) One minute
2. When reading comics, how many senses are used between panels?
3. Which of the following icons has a fixed and absolute meaning?
4. In a single image, what can you use to add words without introducing time?
(a) Sound exclamations
(b) One-word reply
(c) Silent captions
(d) Dialogue bubbles
5. What is the most common type of transition in the most storytelling technique used in comics?
6. What were innovative characteristics of Rudolphe Töpffer's work?
(b) Panel borders
(c) All of the above
(d) Interdependent combination of words and pictures
7. What is the phenomenon of observing the parts but perceiving the whole?
8. What additional early examples of comics does the author mention but NOT cover?
(a) Japanese scrolls
(b) All of the above
(c) Greek painting
(d) Trajan's column
9. What was the title of the sequel to "A Harlot's Progress?"
(a) "A Pauper's Progress"
(b) "A King's Progress"
(c) "A Piper's Progress"
(d) "A Rake's Progress"
10. Which of the following icons are fluid and variable in how realistic they are?
11. Each panel of a comic shows a ______________________.
(a) multiple moments in time
(b) several motions in time
(c) single moment in time
(d) illusion of time and motion
12. Using the example of driving to illustrate non-visual awareness, what is the likely response of the driver of the vehicle being struck if one car hits another?
(a) "His car hit my car!"
(b) "He hit my car!"
(c) "He hit me!"
(d) "His car hit me!"
13. What transition bypasses time and sets a wandering eye on different aspects of the same place, idea or mood?
14. Which of the following point in time of the panel is represented by where your eyes are focused?
15. Who is the 44th comic artist listed in the triangle?
(a) Mary Fleener
(b) Craig Russell
(c) Lynda Barry
(d) Gilbert Hernandez
Short Answer Questions
1. What transition stays within a scene or idea and requires more closure from the reader in order to find the transition meaningful?
2. What panel-to-panel transition requires the least amount of closure?
3. Visual iconography is to vocabulary as closure is to _______________.
4. Which of the following is NOT an American comic artist that uses the style of creating one set of lines to see and another to be?
5. How long is the screenfold of 8-Deer "Tiger's-Claw" that was discovered by Cortes around 1519?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)