|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is an assumption that comics artists make about the reader?
(a) They will like the story.
(b) They read the panels in correct order.
(c) They have read previous stories in the series.
(d) They read the comics in one sitting.
2. How long is the screenfold of 8-Deer "Tiger's-Claw" that was discovered by Cortes around 1519?
(a) 36 yards
(b) 36 foot
(c) 36 meters
(d) 36 inches
3. What invention had a significant effect on comics?
(b) Recycled paper
(c) Ballpoint pens
(d) Colored ink
4. What is the phenomenon of observing the parts but perceiving the whole?
5. What transition features a single subject in distinct progressions?
6. What is the most common type of transition in the most storytelling technique used in comics?
7. What is an example of comics that is not referred to as comics?
(a) Single-panel cartoons
(d) Live-action movies
8. When and where did the author think comics originated?
(a) Has no idea
(b) Tapestry detailing the Norman Conquest of England, in 1066
(c) Picture manuscript "discovered" by Cortes, around 1519
(d) Egyptian hieroglyphics, 32 centuries ago
9. In comics, words represent that which can only exist in time, _______.
10. What transition bypasses time and sets a wandering eye on different aspects of the same place, idea or mood?
11. What panel-to-panel transition requires the least amount of closure?
12. Besides sound, which of the following can represent a span of time in a single panel ?
(a) Borderless panels
(b) Motion lines
(c) Silent captions
(d) Wider gutters
13. Because artists don't expect audiences to identify with backgrounds such as brick walls or landscapes, backgrounds tend to be more ______ than the story's characters.
14. What genre cannot exist in comics?
(b) Epic poetry
(c) None of the above
15. Closure in comics fosters an intimacy between ________________________.
(a) the brand and the distributor
(b) the reader and the frame
(c) the artist and the publisher
(d) the creator and audience
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the 44th comic artist listed in the triangle?
2. What is typically the second most common type of transition in the most storytelling technique used in comics?
3. Which of the following icons are fluid and variable in how realistic they are?
4. Visual iconography is to vocabulary as closure is to _______________.
5. Which pair of words does not relate to each other, in terms of comic style?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)