|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an example of comics that is not referred to as comics?
(b) Live-action movies
(c) Single-panel cartoons
2. Because artists don't expect audiences to identify with backgrounds such as brick walls or landscapes, backgrounds tend to be more ______ than the story's characters.
3. Widening the shape of a panel can affect the _______ of time.
4. When reading comics, how many senses are used between panels?
5. What is not one of the vertices of the triangular pictorial vocabulary?
(c) Picture Plane
6. This effect of contrasting characters and backgrounds is used by which of the following?
(a) All of the following
(d) Jacques Tardi
7. The author describes comics as a ______, or a medium which "can hold any number of ideas and images."
8. What was the name of Max Ernst's surreal plate sequence?
(a) Carved Novel
(b) Graphic Novel
(c) Collage Novel
(d) Woodcut Novels
9. Using the pictorial vocabulary pyramid, Herges' style is typically comprised of __________________.
(a) icon and language
(b) icon and reality
(c) reality and language
(d) meaning and icon
10. Within a comic storyline, what is the amount of time that passes from one panel to the next?
(a) One day
(c) One second
(d) One minute
11. What new law was created to protect Töpffer's new art form following the successful publication of "A Harlot's Progress" and its sequel?
(a) Minimum wage
(b) Income tax
(d) Restraining order
12. Which of the following is true?
(a) Animation is sequential in time; comics are spatially juxtaposed.
(b) Animation is spatially juxtaposed; comics are spatially juxtaposed.
(c) Animation is sequential in time; comics are sequential in time.
(d) Animation is spatially juxtaposed; comics are sequential in time.
13. Using the example of driving to illustrate non-visual awareness, what is the likely response of the driver of the vehicle being struck if one car hits another?
(a) "His car hit my car!"
(b) "He hit my car!"
(c) "He hit me!"
(d) "His car hit me!"
14. Most Japanese comics first appear published in __________________.
(a) thin publications
(b) manga magazines
(c) enormous anthology titles
15. Comic readers are conditioned by real life and other media to expect a _______ progression in comics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "To kill a man between panels is to condemn him to ___________."
2. Visual iconography is to vocabulary as closure is to _______________.
3. What object is painted in "The Treachery of Images?"
4. When does the author begin practicing to be a comics artist?
5. In a single image, what can you use to add words without introducing time?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)