|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a panel with a lot of action, such as the one on page 95, each figure is arranged sequentially and the audience will read them left to right. This could be argued as fitting the definition of _______.
2. Who is the 44th comic artist listed in the triangle?
(a) Gilbert Hernandez
(b) Craig Russell
(c) Lynda Barry
(d) Mary Fleener
3. What is the most common type of transition in the most storytelling technique used in comics?
4. What is the space between comic panels called?
(a) The jump
(b) The ditch
(c) The gutter
(d) The frame
5. McCloud notes that we perceive the world as ______ through the experience of our senses, even though our senses can only reveal a _______ world.
(a) whole; distrustful
(b) incomplete; whole
(c) incomplete; stable
(d) whole; fragmented
6. Who was the first artist to present specific motions in a panel-to-panel form?
7. Within a comic storyline, what is the amount of time that passes from one panel to the next?
(a) One second
(b) One day
(d) One minute
8. Who observed that a non-visual awareness occurs when people interact with inanimate objects?
(a) Jack Kirby
(b) Osamu Tezuka
(c) Marshall McLuhan
9. What additional early examples of comics does the author mention but NOT cover?
(a) Japanese scrolls
(b) Trajan's column
(c) All of the above
(d) Greek painting
10. In a single image, what can you use to add words without introducing time?
(a) Sound exclamations
(b) One-word reply
(c) Silent captions
(d) Dialogue bubbles
11. Comics relay on _____ sense(s) to convey a world of experience.
12. What genre cannot exist in comics?
(a) Epic poetry
(b) None of the above
13. What determines the duration of time and dimensions of space in a panel?
(a) The sequence
(b) The contents
(c) The size
(d) The shape
14. The author believes that comics is an art form similar to which of the following?
(a) All of the above
(b) Written word
15. Panel shapes affect which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is typically the second most common type of transition in the most storytelling technique used in comics?
2. Which of the following artists uses more transitions than normal?
3. What is not one of the vertices of the triangular pictorial vocabulary?
4. Due to the negative connotation of the word "comics," many comics artists have preferred to be known as ________________________.
5. What is typically the third most common type of transition in the most storytelling technique used in comics?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)