|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Due to the negative connotation of the word "comics," many comics artists have preferred to be known as ________________________.
(b) All of the above
(c) Commercial artists
2. Within a comic storyline, what is the amount of time that passes from one panel to the next?
(a) One second
(b) One day
(c) One minute
3. Comic panels break up which of the following?
(a) Sound and movement
(b) Time and sound
(c) Space and consistency
(d) Time and space
4. Which of the following is true?
(a) Animation is spatially juxtaposed; comics are sequential in time.
(b) Animation is sequential in time; comics are spatially juxtaposed.
(c) Animation is sequential in time; comics are sequential in time.
(d) Animation is spatially juxtaposed; comics are spatially juxtaposed.
5. What transition stays within a scene or idea and requires more closure from the reader in order to find the transition meaningful?
6. This effect of contrasting characters and backgrounds is used by which of the following?
(a) All of the following
(b) Jacques Tardi
7. Who was the first artist to present specific motions in a panel-to-panel form?
8. What determines the duration of time and dimensions of space in a panel?
(a) The size
(b) The shape
(c) The contents
(d) The sequence
9. What is typically the second most common type of transition in the most storytelling technique used in comics?
10. When reading comics, how many senses are used between panels?
11. Using the example of driving to illustrate non-visual awareness, what is the likely response of the driver of the vehicle being struck if one car hits another?
(a) "He hit my car!"
(b) "His car hit me!"
(c) "His car hit my car!"
(d) "He hit me!"
12. How long is the screenfold of 8-Deer "Tiger's-Claw" that was discovered by Cortes around 1519?
(a) 36 meters
(b) 36 foot
(c) 36 yards
(d) 36 inches
13. Which of the following artists uses more transitions than normal?
(a) Jack Kirby
(b) G. Hernandez
(d) Osamu Tezuka
14. The art of comics is as _______ as it is ________.
(a) humorous; generous
(b) divisive; multiplicative
(c) subtractive; additive
(d) meaningless; abstract
15. What were innovative characteristics of Rudolphe Töpffer's work?
(a) All of the above
(b) Interdependent combination of words and pictures
(d) Panel borders
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an American comic artist that uses the style of creating one set of lines to see and another to be?
2. Using the pictorial vocabulary pyramid, Herges' style is typically comprised of __________________.
3. When does the author begin practicing to be a comics artist?
4. Who was the woodcut artist known for his silent "Woodcut Novels" of fables?
5. Visual iconography is to vocabulary as closure is to _______________.
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)