|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Visual iconography is to vocabulary as closure is to _______________.
2. When and where did the author think comics originated?
(a) Has no idea
(b) Picture manuscript "discovered" by Cortes, around 1519
(c) Egyptian hieroglyphics, 32 centuries ago
(d) Tapestry detailing the Norman Conquest of England, in 1066
3. What genre cannot exist in comics?
(a) None of the above
(c) Epic poetry
4. Pictures are ______ information. Writing is _______ information.
(a) received; received
(b) perceived; received
(c) received; perceived
(d) perceived; perceived
5. Within a comic storyline, what is the amount of time that passes from one panel to the next?
(b) One day
(c) One minute
(d) One second
6. Who is the 44th comic artist listed in the triangle?
(a) Mary Fleener
(b) Lynda Barry
(c) Craig Russell
(d) Gilbert Hernandez
7. When does the author begin practicing to be a comics artist?
(a) In tenth grade
(b) During his first office job
(c) Since he could pick up a pencil
(d) After his dog dies
8. Which is an example of our ability to extend our identities into inanimate objects?
(a) All of the above
9. Comic panels break up which of the following?
(a) Time and space
(b) Time and sound
(c) Sound and movement
(d) Space and consistency
10. Who painted "The Treachery of Images?"
(c) Jack Kirby
(d) Sergio Aragones
11. What panel-to-panel transition requires the least amount of closure?
12. Widening the shape of a panel can affect the _______ of time.
13. Which of the following point in time of the panel is represented by where your eyes are focused?
14. Most Japanese comics first appear published in __________________.
(a) enormous anthology titles
(c) thin publications
(d) manga magazines
15. Which of the following is an assumption that comics artists make about the reader?
(a) They have read previous stories in the series.
(b) They will like the story.
(c) They read the panels in correct order.
(d) They read the comics in one sitting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country's artists widely adopted photographic trickery such as blurring and streaking soon after its inception?
2. In a single image, what can you use to add words without introducing time?
3. How long is the tapestry detailing the Norman Conquest of England?
4. Which of the following artists uses more transitions than normal?
5. What does McCloud call the "ultimate abstraction?"
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)