|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What panel-to-panel transition requires the least amount of closure?
2. Because artists don't expect audiences to identify with backgrounds such as brick walls or landscapes, backgrounds tend to be more ______ than the story's characters.
3. Comic readers are conditioned by real life and other media to expect a _______ progression in comics.
4. What new law was created to protect Töpffer's new art form following the successful publication of "A Harlot's Progress" and its sequel?
(a) Income tax
(c) Restraining order
(d) Minimum wage
5. What transition bypasses time and sets a wandering eye on different aspects of the same place, idea or mood?
6. When does the author begin practicing to be a comics artist?
(a) Since he could pick up a pencil
(b) After his dog dies
(c) In tenth grade
(d) During his first office job
7. Which of the following icons has a fixed and absolute meaning?
8. What determines the duration of time and dimensions of space in a panel?
(a) The contents
(b) The sequence
(c) The shape
(d) The size
9. "To kill a man between panels is to condemn him to ___________."
(a) a thousand deaths
(c) be consigned to oblivion
10. Which artist started the trend to incorporate photographic streaking to depict motion?
(a) Gene Mager
(b) Gene Colan
(c) Bill Everett
(d) Jack Kirby
11. How are Egyptian paintings read?
(a) Up to down
(c) Right to left
(d) Left to right
12. The author believes that comics is an art form similar to which of the following?
(a) All of the above
(d) Written word
13. Which of the following is true?
(a) Animation is sequential in time; comics are sequential in time.
(b) Animation is spatially juxtaposed; comics are sequential in time.
(c) Animation is spatially juxtaposed; comics are spatially juxtaposed.
(d) Animation is sequential in time; comics are spatially juxtaposed.
14. Who painted "The Treachery of Images?"
(a) Jack Kirby
(c) Sergio Aragones
15. Who created "A Harlot's Progress," published in 1731?
(a) Frans Masereel
(b) Max Ernst
(c) Lynd Ward
(d) William Hogarth
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the woodcut artist known for his silent "Woodcut Novels" of fables?
2. Comic panels break up which of the following?
3. What type of magazine kept comics alive before the 20th century?
4. Each panel of a comic shows a ______________________.
5. Due to the negative connotation of the word "comics," many comics artists have preferred to be known as ________________________.
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)