|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In one example in Chapter 8, a girl's _______ needed improvement, and she needed to lose a lot of weight.
2. Knowledge of Erickson's inaccurate perceptions of the husband has been intentionally sent home through whom/what?
3. One extreme example of dependency in Chapter 8 is when a young woman goes off to college and her parents build an addition to the house so she can live there while she is an adult, including when?
4. The first example Haley gives in Chapter 9 involves a man with an intense fear of what?
5. Haley cites one of Erickson's cases in Chapter 6 where the mother who sought treatment was ultimately what?
Short Essay Questions
1. With the daughter who is in the accident and whose parents are obsessive, what does Erickson discover?
2. Describe Haley's point of view in writing this book.
3. In what ways does Erickson see patients he no longer counseled?
4. What does Haley say of children leaving the nest in Chapter 8?
5. How do Erickson's techniques vary with different clients?
6. How does Erickson work to help an elderly man walk in Chapter 9?
7. How does Haley describe Erickson asserting his masculinity as a doctor in Chapter 7?
8. One daughter seeks help from Erickson regarding overbearing parents in Chapter 8. Describe this example.
9. What is done with the teenage daughter who knows a family secret in Chapter 8?
10. Describe the case of the schizophrenic daughter Erickson treats for family issues in Chapter 8.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "the use of space and position" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how "amnesia and the control of information" works. How is this technique controversial? In what examples does Erickson use it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "seeding ideas" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)