|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The use of hypnosis in Chapter 9 is used primarily to do what?
2. One case in Chapter 6 was about how the therapist helped a mother to re-establish her authority with her son. How old was the child?
3. The elderly man in Chapter 9 is first roused from nearly a full year in bed by being _______ by his therapist.
4. Erickson gently refuses to help the man who had the stroke again in Chapter 9, claiming that even though it worked before, her husband is probably _____for his therapy to be effective.
5. Erickson would combine acceptance of the patient's condition upon entering treatment with hypnosis and ______ modes of intervention.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the outcome of the example from Chapter 6 in which a child has a sore which festered for 2 years.
2. How does Erickson enable couples in Chapter 6?
3. How does Erickson use not siding with one family member as a technique?
4. What does Haley write of dominance in marriage?
5. What does Haley say of children leaving the nest in Chapter 8?
6. According to Erickson, what affects a person's happiness in approaching old age?
7. What does Erickson focus on with new mothers facing post-partum depression?
8. In what ways does Erickson see patients he no longer counseled?
9. Describe the case of the schizophrenic daughter Erickson treats for family issues in Chapter 8.
10. What is Erickson's approach to the family "as a group"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "seeding ideas" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What problems are often encountered when parents face children leaving home to lead adult lives? How does Erickson involve the entire family in these therapy sessions?
Essay Topic 3
How does childbirth throw the entire family structure into a form of crisis? What ways does Erickson use to assist families in this transition?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)