|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the man from whom Erickson helped to walk in Chapter 9?
2. Perhaps one case from Chapter 6 did not want to be a mother but had no recourse other than to plead a kind of insanity so that the others would take control from her, or she possibly was mentally ill. What was she labeled with?
3. Haley observes that there are repercussions throughout the family system (meaning people of the families that led up to this union are affected by the turn of events) when what occurs?
4. Erickson claims that when a husband and wife where _____ of each other, it was best to see them together.
5. Erickson cites examples of a couple that ceased to have an alcohol problem when they did what on weekends?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Erickson see patients he no longer counseled?
2. In the ending of the book, why does the Prussian man's wife contact Erickson?
3. What does Erickson say regarding becoming grandparents in the life cycle?
4. Describe the outcome of the example from Chapter 6 in which a child has a sore which festered for 2 years.
5. What does Haley write regarding post-partum depression in Chapter 6?
6. How do Erickson's methods differ than those of the 19th century?
7. What does Erickson focus on with new mothers facing post-partum depression?
8. What is one of the more controversial aspects of Erickson's hypnosis?
9. What does Haley say of children leaving the nest in Chapter 8?
10. What does Haley write of dominance in marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Erickson's methods of family therapy. How does his approach differ from the standard sessions of therapists in the 19th century?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's work with those facing old age. What does he use hypnosis for in these examples? What are common problems of the elderly?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the "trance state" which Erickson uses. How does this differ from what people traditionally think of as hypnosis?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)