|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The therapists of the 19th-century noticed that there was something deeper going on; here Mesmer and ____ are used as examples
2. The 19th-century method was to treat a patient in what way?
3. Erickson worked to encourage a girl in Chapter 8 to voice her criticisms of her mother and re-work her perception of her father's behaviors, which included some incorrect perceptions regarding the parents' _______ .
4. What is the name of the man whom Erickson treats in Chapter 8 who had lost 80 lbs. in 6 months?
5. Erickson is _____ if a husband goes so far as to show up to set the therapist straight on some ways that the therapist has been wrong.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Erickson say regarding becoming grandparents in the life cycle?
2. Describe the outcome of the example from Chapter 6 in which a child has a sore which festered for 2 years.
3. How does Erickson work to help an elderly man walk in Chapter 9?
4. How do Erickson's methods differ than those of the 19th century?
5. What does Haley say of children leaving the nest in Chapter 8?
6. Describe the case in Chapter 6 in which the mother is ultimately left out following post-partum depression.
7. How does Erickson enable couples in Chapter 6?
8. Describe the case of the 8-year-old terror, which is provided in Chapter 6.
9. What does Erickson focus on with new mothers facing post-partum depression?
10. What does Haley write of dominance in marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the common problems in "middle marriage difficulties"? Describe some of the examples from this section of the text and how Erickson administered therapy.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's technique of "the use of space and position" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "emphasizing the positive" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)