|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Erickson notes in Chapter 8 that when you start defending "my rights," you become a what?
2. Erickson claims that when a husband and wife where _____ of each other, it was best to see them together.
3. Erickson accepted a client, a young woman who was living with her parents at an age when many other people's children had left home. She had been in a car accident and after recovering had undergone months of what?
4. Solving problems associated with alcohol, prescription tranquilizer, and illegal drug use are all included in what chapter?
5. The elderly man in Chapter 9 is first roused from nearly a full year in bed by being _______ by his therapist.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the case of the 8-year-old terror, which is provided in Chapter 6.
2. How does Erickson enable couples in Chapter 6?
3. What does Haley write of dominance in marriage?
4. How does Erickson feel regarding psychiatric medication?
5. What does Haley say of children leaving the nest in Chapter 8?
6. How does Erickson work to help an elderly man walk in Chapter 9?
7. What is the standard method Erickson has for accepting clients?
8. Describe the outcome of the example from Chapter 6 in which a child has a sore which festered for 2 years.
9. With the daughter who is in the accident and whose parents are obsessive, what does Erickson discover?
10. Describe the case of the schizophrenic daughter Erickson treats for family issues in Chapter 8.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how "amnesia and the control of information" works. How is this technique controversial? In what examples does Erickson use it?
Essay Topic 2
How does Haley describe the roots of schizophrenia in the book? How might these be tied to the family? Does modern science support this?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "emphasizing the positive" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)