|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 7 includes examples of when one partner's ______ behavior has disturbed the sexual life of the couple.
2. Haley cites one of Erickson's cases in Chapter 6 where the mother who sought treatment was ultimately what?
3. Erickson would use his position to effect a beneficial ______ that leaves the couple reoriented into their new and improved dynamic and empowers them to go back to leaving out the therapist.
4. In one example in Chapter 8, Erickson had to work with the parents on their dynamic, including extreme ______ tensions, while at the same time serving as the daughter's therapist.
5. Erickson feels that when the circumstances of a patient need to be changed, it is wrong to prevent healthy growth by substituting ______ for good therapy.
Short Essay Questions
1. In the ending of the book, why does the Prussian man's wife contact Erickson?
2. One daughter seeks help from Erickson regarding overbearing parents in Chapter 8. Describe this example.
3. In what ways does Erickson see patients he no longer counseled?
4. What does Haley write of dominance in marriage?
5. How does Erickson work to help an elderly man walk in Chapter 9?
6. What is Erickson's approach to the family "as a group"?
7. How does Erickson feel regarding psychiatric medication?
8. How does Haley describe Erickson asserting his masculinity as a doctor in Chapter 7?
9. What is done with the teenage daughter who knows a family secret in Chapter 8?
10. What does Erickson state regarding seeing only one spouse in a marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "encouraging a response by frustrating it" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Erickson's methods of family therapy. How does his approach differ from the standard sessions of therapists in the 19th century?
Essay Topic 3
What problems are often encountered when parents face children leaving home to lead adult lives? How does Erickson involve the entire family in these therapy sessions?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)