|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Haley notes in Chapter 8 that people may or may not recognize that they need to be _______ their own children.
2. Erickson keyed into the young woman from the car accident's problems when after much probing, he learned that an elder sister had left home, married against the parents' wishes and was now ______.
3. Erickson is able to _____ the man into proving to himself and the others that he can in fact get up and is even able to make it to the car.
4. Haley states in Chapter 8 that great dramas are enacted when the dynamic between the parents has grown ______ in any way on their relationships with the offspring.
5. Erickson accepted a client, a young woman who was living with her parents at an age when many other people's children had left home. She had been in a car accident and after recovering had undergone months of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Erickson focus on with new mothers facing post-partum depression?
2. How does Erickson feel regarding psychiatric medication?
3. Describe the case of the schizophrenic daughter Erickson treats for family issues in Chapter 8.
4. In what ways does Erickson see patients he no longer counseled?
5. What is the standard method Erickson has for accepting clients?
6. What is stated regarding substance abuse in Chapter 7?
7. How does Erickson use not siding with one family member as a technique?
8. What is one of the more controversial aspects of Erickson's hypnosis?
9. What does Erickson state regarding seeing only one spouse in a marriage?
10. How does Erickson work to help an elderly man walk in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "providing a worse alternative" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the common problems in "middle marriage difficulties"? Describe some of the examples from this section of the text and how Erickson administered therapy.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "encouraging resistance" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)