|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 7 deals with issues of what?
2. In the case where the husband has threatened to kill his wife unless she gives birth to a child of the gender he wants, Erickson recommends the couple do what?
3. Haley begins Chapter 8 by explaining that the way therapy is conducted has progressed in a leap and that ____ signifies the change from recognizing that problems within a family are just that.
4. In one case in Chapter 7, Erickson deals with a woman who feels what sensation in the bedroom?
5. Erickson would combine acceptance of the patient's condition upon entering treatment with hypnosis and ______ modes of intervention.
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Erickson see patients he no longer counseled?
2. What does Erickson say regarding becoming grandparents in the life cycle?
3. What does Haley write of dominance in marriage?
4. How do Erickson's methods differ than those of the 19th century?
5. Describe the case of the 8-year-old terror, which is provided in Chapter 6.
6. According to Erickson, what affects a person's happiness in approaching old age?
7. Describe the case in Chapter 6 in which the mother is ultimately left out following post-partum depression.
8. What does Haley say of children leaving the nest in Chapter 8?
9. What does Erickson state regarding seeing only one spouse in a marriage?
10. Describe the outcome of the example from Chapter 6 in which a child has a sore which festered for 2 years.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "causing change by communicating in metaphor" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's technique of "encouraging resistance" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the major issues that occur during "the courtship period." How can this phase of life affect the entire family?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)