|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the case where the husband has threatened to kill his wife unless she gives birth to a child of the gender he wants, Erickson recommends the couple do what?
2. What is the name of the man whom Erickson treats in Chapter 8 who had lost 80 lbs. in 6 months?
3. Once Erickson helped the family of the boy with the sore, it cured the boy of his festering sore and the _______ behavior that had accompanied it.
4. Haley cites one of Erickson's cases in Chapter 6 where the mother who sought treatment was ultimately what?
5. Haley begins Chapter 8 by explaining that the way therapy is conducted has progressed in a leap and that ____ signifies the change from recognizing that problems within a family are just that.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the case in Chapter 6 in which the mother is ultimately left out following post-partum depression.
2. What is stated regarding substance abuse in Chapter 7?
3. According to Erickson, what affects a person's happiness in approaching old age?
4. What is Erickson's approach to the family "as a group"?
5. What does Erickson state regarding seeing only one spouse in a marriage?
6. In what ways does Erickson see patients he no longer counseled?
7. How do Erickson's methods differ than those of the 19th century?
8. Describe the case of the 8-year-old terror, which is provided in Chapter 6.
9. In the ending of the book, why does the Prussian man's wife contact Erickson?
10. What is the standard method Erickson has for accepting clients?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "amplifying a deviation" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How does Haley describe the roots of schizophrenia in the book? How might these be tied to the family? Does modern science support this?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "encouraging a response by frustrating it" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)