|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The book ends with the wife of the man who had a stroke contacting Erickson after how long, with a request for a new set of therapeutic treatments?
2. Attendance at therapy permits Erickson to instruct the couple through an intervention how to enable them to do what?
3. Erickson allowed previous patients to visit him of their own accord, on a _____ level.
4. The therapist prescribes a specific course of action with the boy with behavioral problems in Chapter 6. With his direction and his assurance that her son is not being put in danger from doing so, the mother spends an entire day doing what?
5. Chapter 7 includes examples of when one partner's ______ behavior has disturbed the sexual life of the couple.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Haley describe Erickson asserting his masculinity as a doctor in Chapter 7?
2. What does Erickson focus on with new mothers facing post-partum depression?
3. What does Erickson say regarding becoming grandparents in the life cycle?
4. Describe Haley's point of view in writing this book.
5. What is done with the teenage daughter who knows a family secret in Chapter 8?
6. What does Haley write regarding post-partum depression in Chapter 6?
7. What does Haley write of dominance in marriage?
8. What is the standard method Erickson has for accepting clients?
9. How do Erickson's techniques vary with different clients?
10. How does Erickson feel regarding psychiatric medication?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "encouraging a relapse" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's technique of "the use of space and position" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the "trance state" which Erickson uses. How does this differ from what people traditionally think of as hypnosis?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)