|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Erickson helped the family of the boy with the sore, it cured the boy of his festering sore and the _______ behavior that had accompanied it.
2. When the post-partum mother does receive therapy, the reasons for why she is so upset about becoming a mother are discussed and where possible her _____.
3. The case study in Chapter 8 involving the girl with body issues follows the therapist's instructions to for the daughter to insist upon ______ from the mother as the condition for the presence.
4. The therapist's intent is to be what to the marriage and to each of the partners in it?
5. What is often an integral part of Erickson's treatment plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Erickson use not siding with one family member as a technique?
2. What is Erickson's approach to the family "as a group"?
3. What is done with the teenage daughter who knows a family secret in Chapter 8?
4. How do Erickson's techniques vary with different clients?
5. What is the standard method Erickson has for accepting clients?
6. Describe the outcome of the example from Chapter 6 in which a child has a sore which festered for 2 years.
7. In the ending of the book, why does the Prussian man's wife contact Erickson?
8. What is stated regarding substance abuse in Chapter 7?
9. What does Erickson state regarding seeing only one spouse in a marriage?
10. Describe the case in Chapter 6 in which the mother is ultimately left out following post-partum depression.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "amplifying a deviation" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How does childbirth throw the entire family structure into a form of crisis? What ways does Erickson use to assist families in this transition?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's work with those facing old age. What does he use hypnosis for in these examples? What are common problems of the elderly?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)