|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The book ends with the wife of the man who had a stroke contacting Erickson after how long, with a request for a new set of therapeutic treatments?
2. In the example of the woman in the car accident in Chapter 8, the therapist was not even able to apply _____ that would actually alleviate the young woman's chronic pain.
3. Attendance at therapy permits Erickson to instruct the couple through an intervention how to enable them to do what?
4. In one case of a wife who dominated her husband in Chapter 7, if a caller on the phone wouldn't announce who they were she would do what?
5. In order to heal the sore on a child's body in the example in Chapter 6, it was necessary for the boy's father to take over what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Haley describe the roots of schizophrenia in the book? How might these be tied to the family? Does modern science support this?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the "trance state" which Erickson uses. How does this differ from what people traditionally think of as hypnosis?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's work with those facing old age. What does he use hypnosis for in these examples? What are common problems of the elderly?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)