|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Erickson feels that when the circumstances of a patient need to be changed, it is wrong to prevent healthy growth by substituting ______ for good therapy.
2. The parents in Chapter 8 who had dependency issues revisited the therapist when their daughter became ______. They weren't sure how often they should visit.
3. The therapist prescribes a specific course of action with the boy with behavioral problems in Chapter 6. With his direction and his assurance that her son is not being put in danger from doing so, the mother spends an entire day doing what?
4. In what year was the book published?
5. Erickson keyed into the young woman from the car accident's problems when after much probing, he learned that an elder sister had left home, married against the parents' wishes and was now ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the outcome of the example from Chapter 6 in which a child has a sore which festered for 2 years.
2. In the ending of the book, why does the Prussian man's wife contact Erickson?
3. What does Erickson focus on with new mothers facing post-partum depression?
4. Describe the case of the schizophrenic daughter Erickson treats for family issues in Chapter 8.
5. What is done with the teenage daughter who knows a family secret in Chapter 8?
6. How does Erickson work to help an elderly man walk in Chapter 9?
7. What does Erickson state regarding seeing only one spouse in a marriage?
8. How do Erickson's methods differ than those of the 19th century?
9. What does Haley say of children leaving the nest in Chapter 8?
10. How does Erickson feel regarding psychiatric medication?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "emphasizing the positive" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the common problems in "middle marriage difficulties"? Describe some of the examples from this section of the text and how Erickson administered therapy.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the major issues that occur during "the courtship period." How can this phase of life affect the entire family?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)