|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Haley reports that power struggles about who is _____ in a marriage are quite normal during the early years.
2. In one example in Chapter 8, a girl's _______ needed improvement, and she needed to lose a lot of weight.
3. The purpose of the therapeutic interventions in Chapter 7 are to provide some _______ regarding the entire situation.
4. Erickson accepted a client, a young woman who was living with her parents at an age when many other people's children had left home. She had been in a car accident and after recovering had undergone months of what?
5. Erickson restricts himself to the truth, which Haley points out as a means that distinguishes him from those seeking to be _____ rather than those who are forthright and have an interest in the welfare of the client.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Erickson use not siding with one family member as a technique?
2. With the daughter who is in the accident and whose parents are obsessive, what does Erickson discover?
3. How does Erickson work to help an elderly man walk in Chapter 9?
4. How does Haley describe Erickson asserting his masculinity as a doctor in Chapter 7?
5. Describe the case of the 8-year-old terror, which is provided in Chapter 6.
6. According to Erickson, what affects a person's happiness in approaching old age?
7. What is stated regarding substance abuse in Chapter 7?
8. What does Erickson say regarding becoming grandparents in the life cycle?
9. Describe Haley's point of view in writing this book.
10. How does Erickson feel regarding psychiatric medication?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Erickson's methods of family therapy. How does his approach differ from the standard sessions of therapists in the 19th century?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's technique of "providing a worse alternative" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "causing change by communicating in metaphor" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)