|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One case in Chapter 6 was about how the therapist helped a mother to re-establish her authority with her son. How old was the child?
2. The book ends with the wife of the man who had a stroke contacting Erickson after how long, with a request for a new set of therapeutic treatments?
3. Erickson's use of hypnosis is shown through these case studies to be ______.
4. Erickson cites examples of a couple that ceased to have an alcohol problem when they did what on weekends?
5. Solving problems associated with alcohol, prescription tranquilizer, and illegal drug use are all included in what chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Haley write regarding post-partum depression in Chapter 6?
2. How does Erickson enable couples in Chapter 6?
3. What does Haley say of children leaving the nest in Chapter 8?
4. According to Erickson, what affects a person's happiness in approaching old age?
5. What is stated regarding substance abuse in Chapter 7?
6. What does Erickson state regarding seeing only one spouse in a marriage?
7. In what ways does Erickson see patients he no longer counseled?
8. One daughter seeks help from Erickson regarding overbearing parents in Chapter 8. Describe this example.
9. How does Erickson feel regarding psychiatric medication?
10. What is done with the teenage daughter who knows a family secret in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "providing a worse alternative" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's technique of "seeding ideas" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How does childbirth throw the entire family structure into a form of crisis? What ways does Erickson use to assist families in this transition?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)