|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The case study in Chapter 8 involving the girl with body issues follows the therapist's instructions to for the daughter to insist upon ______ from the mother as the condition for the presence.
2. Knowledge of Erickson's inaccurate perceptions of the husband has been intentionally sent home through whom/what?
3. Solving problems associated with alcohol, prescription tranquilizer, and illegal drug use are all included in what chapter?
4. The use of hypnosis in Chapter 9 is used primarily to do what?
5. One example in Chapter 8 is a case where a teenager is _______ because she relates the fact that her mother has been having an affair with a local wealthy man.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Erickson say regarding becoming grandparents in the life cycle?
2. One daughter seeks help from Erickson regarding overbearing parents in Chapter 8. Describe this example.
3. How does Erickson enable couples in Chapter 6?
4. How does Haley describe Erickson asserting his masculinity as a doctor in Chapter 7?
5. What does Haley write regarding post-partum depression in Chapter 6?
6. In the ending of the book, why does the Prussian man's wife contact Erickson?
7. With the daughter who is in the accident and whose parents are obsessive, what does Erickson discover?
8. What does Erickson focus on with new mothers facing post-partum depression?
9. How do Erickson's methods differ than those of the 19th century?
10. Describe the case of the 8-year-old terror, which is provided in Chapter 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is affected by the phase, "marriage and its consequences"? Why does this phase affect others than the couple in focus? Give examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What problems are often encountered when parents face children leaving home to lead adult lives? How does Erickson involve the entire family in these therapy sessions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the "trance state" which Erickson uses. How does this differ from what people traditionally think of as hypnosis?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)