|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The case studies in Chapter 6 show that there do not seem to be any __________ of Erickson's use of amnesia.
2. The case study in Chapter 8 of the girl with body issues concludes showing this young woman succeeds in marrying but not without a conflict about whether to do what regarding her mother?
3. Perhaps one case from Chapter 6 did not want to be a mother but had no recourse other than to plead a kind of insanity so that the others would take control from her, or she possibly was mentally ill. What was she labeled with?
4. Erickson cites examples of a couple that ceased to have an alcohol problem when they did what on weekends?
5. The therapist prescribes a specific course of action with the boy with behavioral problems in Chapter 6. With his direction and his assurance that her son is not being put in danger from doing so, the mother spends an entire day doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is done with the teenage daughter who knows a family secret in Chapter 8?
2. How does Erickson enable couples in Chapter 6?
3. According to Erickson, what affects a person's happiness in approaching old age?
4. What does Haley say of children leaving the nest in Chapter 8?
5. Describe the case of the 8-year-old terror, which is provided in Chapter 6.
6. How does Erickson feel regarding psychiatric medication?
7. In the ending of the book, why does the Prussian man's wife contact Erickson?
8. What is one of the more controversial aspects of Erickson's hypnosis?
9. Describe the case of the schizophrenic daughter Erickson treats for family issues in Chapter 8.
10. What does Haley write regarding post-partum depression in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how "amnesia and the control of information" works. How is this technique controversial? In what examples does Erickson use it?
Essay Topic 2
How does childbirth throw the entire family structure into a form of crisis? What ways does Erickson use to assist families in this transition?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the common problems in "middle marriage difficulties"? Describe some of the examples from this section of the text and how Erickson administered therapy.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)