|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The use of hypnosis in Chapter 9 is used primarily to do what?
2. Haley observes that there are repercussions throughout the family system (meaning people of the families that led up to this union are affected by the turn of events) when what occurs?
3. Haley touches on what has come to be referred to as ______ or maternal psychosis. In the most extreme cases, the mother might be hospitalized.
4. Chapter 7 deals with issues of what?
5. Erickson allowed previous patients to visit him of their own accord, on a _____ level.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the case of the schizophrenic daughter Erickson treats for family issues in Chapter 8.
2. How does Haley describe Erickson asserting his masculinity as a doctor in Chapter 7?
3. With the daughter who is in the accident and whose parents are obsessive, what does Erickson discover?
4. What does Haley write regarding post-partum depression in Chapter 6?
5. How does Erickson feel regarding psychiatric medication?
6. What is Erickson's approach to the family "as a group"?
7. What is one of the more controversial aspects of Erickson's hypnosis?
8. What does Erickson state regarding seeing only one spouse in a marriage?
9. What does Haley say of children leaving the nest in Chapter 8?
10. What is the standard method Erickson has for accepting clients?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "providing a worse alternative" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What problems are often encountered when parents face children leaving home to lead adult lives? How does Erickson involve the entire family in these therapy sessions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "causing change by communicating in metaphor" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)