|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The case study in Chapter 8 of the girl with body issues concludes showing this young woman succeeds in marrying but not without a conflict about whether to do what regarding her mother?
2. Attendance at therapy permits Erickson to instruct the couple through an intervention how to enable them to do what?
3. Erickson believes that normally, the problem extends beyond the substance abuser and what is needed is actually a change of what?
4. Knowledge of Erickson's inaccurate perceptions of the husband has been intentionally sent home through whom/what?
5. Part of Erickson's method is not to ________. This is described as being on the service of truth and unity even though it may sound artificial. He does this consistently as a rule of thumb.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the outcome of the example from Chapter 6 in which a child has a sore which festered for 2 years.
2. How does Erickson feel regarding psychiatric medication?
3. What is done with the teenage daughter who knows a family secret in Chapter 8?
4. What is one of the more controversial aspects of Erickson's hypnosis?
5. With the daughter who is in the accident and whose parents are obsessive, what does Erickson discover?
6. What is the standard method Erickson has for accepting clients?
7. According to Erickson, what affects a person's happiness in approaching old age?
8. How does Erickson enable couples in Chapter 6?
9. Describe the case of the 8-year-old terror, which is provided in Chapter 6.
10. What does Haley say of children leaving the nest in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Erickson use the technique of avoiding self-exploration? In what way does this make his methods unique to other talk-therapists?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the common problems in "middle marriage difficulties"? Describe some of the examples from this section of the text and how Erickson administered therapy.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "encouraging a response by frustrating it" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)