|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Erickson's use of intentional forms of amnesia as part of the trance is done in order to _________ and to empower individuals to make certain changes.
2. Often enough, if the woman did not have a good experience with what from the beginning would she seek an annulment of the marriage?
3. What is the title of Chapter 1 in the book?
4. Erickson's method is in contrast to other forms of talk therapy where there is a greater emphasis on __________, and the relationship tends to involve weekly meetings for years on end.
5. After Erickson's client secured the job in Chapter 3, the therapist asked for details about how corrections were made when the client revealed that there had been _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first case scenario set up in Chapter 4.
2. What is remarked by Haley regarding a "love triangle" in Chapter 2?
3. In the case where a woman is hospitalized in Chapter 5, what issues does she face with her in-laws?
4. What are some of the prominent issues in marriages as Haley suggests in Chapter 5?
5. How does Erickson approach conducting sessions with couples?
6. What is the purpose of therapy in Haley's opinion as it relates to the phases?
7. Describe the first life phase discussed in Chapter 2.
8. In what way does Erickson's therapy method sometimes step outside of the office?
9. What friendship does Erickson instigate in Chapter 4?
10. What are Erickson's primary goals in couple's therapy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "providing a worse alternative" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How does Haley describe the roots of schizophrenia in the book? How might these be tied to the family? Does modern science support this?
Essay Topic 3
What problems are often encountered when parents face children leaving home to lead adult lives? How does Erickson involve the entire family in these therapy sessions?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)