|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what technique does Erickson use trance to release people from deep-seated behavior patterns, some of which have been counter productive or relied upon to reduce fears?
2. Under which heading of Chapter 1 is it stated that Erickson emphasized both the autonomy and togetherness of family members?
3. Which heading in Chapter 1 cultivates a response until a goal is reached?
4. Haley points out that Erickson had suffered from _____ twice and had been debilitated by it/them.
5. After Erickson's client secured the job in Chapter 3, the therapist asked for details about how corrections were made when the client revealed that there had been _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Erickson use positive reinforcement in the asthmatic patient example from Chapter 3?
2. In the case where a woman is hospitalized in Chapter 5, what issues does she face with her in-laws?
3. In what way does Erickson's therapy method sometimes step outside of the office?
4. How does Erickson deal with an adolescent's fears and insecurities in the courtship period?
5. What does Jay Haley remark about Erickson's contribution to the progression of psychotherapy in the beginning of the book?
6. What is the purpose of therapy in Haley's opinion as it relates to the phases?
7. Give an example of a case where trance was used by Erickson in Chapter 5.
8. What progress does Harold make educationally in his work with Erickson?
9. How does Erickson use an indirect method of treatment in the example of the young man who feared women from Chapter 3?
10. When was hypnosis introduced to the psychiatric community and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Erickson's methods of family therapy. How does his approach differ from the standard sessions of therapists in the 19th century?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's work with those facing old age. What does he use hypnosis for in these examples? What are common problems of the elderly?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "providing a worse alternative" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)