|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The challenge of the woman with the trembling hand in Chapter 5 was that the wife wanted her husband to do what?
2. The one condition on which Erickson allows couples to fight was that they genuinely seek to what?
3. A prominent concern is a family entanglement in which Harold needs to alter the dynamic with himself and one of his siblings who is one member of what kind of couple?
4. The transition from being a child into being an adult involves ______ of the relational patterns between family members.
5. The author does not mention the issue of whether to ______ when he mentions the matter of marriage.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Erickson's use of metaphor and relapse.
2. Describe the first case scenario set up in Chapter 4.
3. Give an example of a case where trance was used by Erickson in Chapter 5.
4. How did Erickson use positive reinforcement in the asthmatic patient example from Chapter 3?
5. What is Erickson's approach to "family orientation"?
6. What does Haley write about the institution of marriage in the beginning of Chapter 5?
7. How does Haley describe Erickson's approach to adolescents in Chapter 3?
8. In the case where a woman is hospitalized in Chapter 5, what issues does she face with her in-laws?
9. What does Erickson feel regarding dissent with a couple in the sessions?
10. What are Erickson's primary goals in couple's therapy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's work with those facing old age. What does he use hypnosis for in these examples? What are common problems of the elderly?
Essay Topic 2
What problems are often encountered when parents face children leaving home to lead adult lives? How does Erickson involve the entire family in these therapy sessions?
Essay Topic 3
Who is affected by the phase, "marriage and its consequences"? Why does this phase affect others than the couple in focus? Give examples from the text.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)