|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A prominent concern is a family entanglement in which Harold needs to alter the dynamic with himself and one of his siblings who is one member of what kind of couple?
2. In Chapter 2, the author notes that among humans, the mating style appears to vary _____.
3. Under which heading of Chapter 1 is it stated that Erickson emphasized both the autonomy and togetherness of family members?
4. Hypnosis is described as a special way of _______.
5. Eventually, through a lengthy process including both success and failure, Erickson gets Harold to complete what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Haley's assertion of changes occurring in "Childbirth and Dealing with the Young"?
2. What is remarked by Haley regarding a "love triangle" in Chapter 2?
3. What does Haley write about the institution of marriage in the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. Describe the first case scenario set up in Chapter 4.
5. How long does the therapy process last working with Erickson?
6. In the case where a woman is hospitalized in Chapter 5, what issues does she face with her in-laws?
7. How does Haley describe Erickson's approach to adolescents in Chapter 3?
8. What are Erickson's primary goals in couple's therapy?
9. What does Haley say regarding the cycle of "Marriage and Its Consequences"?
10. How does Erickson deal with an adolescent's fears and insecurities in the courtship period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Erickson use the technique of avoiding self-exploration? In what way does this make his methods unique to other talk-therapists?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's technique of "amplifying a deviation" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "seeding ideas" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)