|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Erickson was responsible for the development and introduction into therapies of _____.
2. It is stated in In Chapter 2 that some, but not all, will naturally ________; others will not. This evidently affects the culture.
3. Under which heading of Chapter 1 does it state that therapy now helps patients make changes without any focus on understanding why the previous behavior had existed?
4. Once he overcomes the severe effects of the poverty of his childhood, Harold manages to develop a new habit of __________.
5. What is the title of Chapter 1 in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Haley write about the institution of marriage in the beginning of Chapter 5?
2. What is Haley's assertion of changes occurring in "Childbirth and Dealing with the Young"?
3. What are some of the prominent issues in marriages as Haley suggests in Chapter 5?
4. How does Erickson address Harold's issues with women?
5. What is Haley's description of "Middle Marriage Difficulties"?
6. How does Erickson deal with an adolescent's fears and insecurities in the courtship period?
7. How does Erickson approach conducting sessions with couples?
8. What does Jay Haley remark about Erickson's contribution to the progression of psychotherapy in the beginning of the book?
9. Describe the first case scenario set up in Chapter 4.
10. What are the first two descriptions of Erickson's techniques in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems are often encountered when parents face children leaving home to lead adult lives? How does Erickson involve the entire family in these therapy sessions?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the "trance state" which Erickson uses. How does this differ from what people traditionally think of as hypnosis?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "providing a worse alternative" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)