|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The amnesia seems to be for the purpose of helping the clients themselves to be able to feel as if he has not done what?
2. The transition from being a child into being an adult involves ______ of the relational patterns between family members.
3. Family stress is most severe when someone is _________ (in) the family.
4. After other deep work is done and Harold has some very enjoyable experiences with women he does what of his own accord?
5. Erickson does not tell Harold there is anything wrong with _________; he tells Harold that he wants to put Harold into a position to be open to changing or keeping his ideas about himself.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of therapy in Haley's opinion as it relates to the phases?
2. Describe the case of the 8-year-old terror, which is provided in Chapter 6.
3. What does Erickson state regarding seeing only one spouse in a marriage?
4. What is Erickson's approach to the family "as a group"?
5. What does Haley write of dominance in marriage?
6. What does Erickson focus on with new mothers facing post-partum depression?
7. What is the standard method Erickson has for accepting clients?
8. What does Haley say regarding the cycle of "Marriage and Its Consequences"?
9. How does Haley describe Erickson's approach to adolescents in Chapter 3?
10. What does Haley write regarding post-partum depression in Chapter 6?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "emphasizing the positive" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Erickson's methods of family therapy. How does his approach differ from the standard sessions of therapists in the 19th century?
Essay Topic 3
How does Haley describe the roots of schizophrenia in the book? How might these be tied to the family? Does modern science support this?
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)