|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Erickson _____________, he then keeps out of that friendship so that it takes its own natural course.
2. Erickson writes of withholding and sharing information and of how he succeeds in curing a young woman of pain she experiences during ______.
3. The period of adolescence that often closely predates major mating activity is one of the most important times for people to do what?
4. Voluntary and involuntary behavior is discussed to show how therapeutic techniques transform an individual into being able to perform certain ______.
5. Where additional education is needed, Erickson recommends it; for instance, _________ can educate girls whose mothers or other older women did not properly train in make up or fashion.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Haley write about the institution of marriage in the beginning of Chapter 5?
2. What friendship does Erickson instigate in Chapter 4?
3. Describe the first life phase discussed in Chapter 2.
4. What is remarked by Haley regarding a "love triangle" in Chapter 2?
5. How does Erickson approach conducting sessions with couples?
6. How does Erickson deal with an adolescent's fears and insecurities in the courtship period?
7. In the case where a woman is hospitalized in Chapter 5, what issues does she face with her in-laws?
8. What is the purpose of therapy in Haley's opinion as it relates to the phases?
9. What are some of the prominent issues in marriages as Haley suggests in Chapter 5?
10. Describe the first case scenario set up in Chapter 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the "trance state" which Erickson uses. How does this differ from what people traditionally think of as hypnosis?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Erickson use the technique of avoiding self-exploration? In what way does this make his methods unique to other talk-therapists?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "providing a worse alternative" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)