|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Either Harold wasn't truly homosexual in the first place, but had other troubles with women, or was a bisexual who was turned on to women once what?
2. The need to help the growing youths integrate into the community life without insufficient or excessive ________ is important throughout and continues when people have become parents.
3. The challenge of the woman with the trembling hand in Chapter 5 was that the wife wanted her husband to do what?
4. In one case in Chapter 5, there was competition between the mother and the ______ over mothering the new baby.
5. Haley explains that Erickson, in dealing with ______, does not attempt to change their fundamental nature and does not even try to confront the real problem directly.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first life phase discussed in Chapter 2.
2. Describe the outcome of the example from Chapter 6 in which a child has a sore which festered for 2 years.
3. How and with whom does Harold end up beginning a relationship with in Chapter 4?
4. What friendship does Erickson instigate in Chapter 4?
5. What are Erickson's primary goals in couple's therapy?
6. How does Erickson approach conducting sessions with couples?
7. What is Haley's description of "Middle Marriage Difficulties"?
8. What does Erickson say regarding becoming grandparents in the life cycle?
9. How does Haley describe Erickson's approach to adolescents in Chapter 3?
10. In the ending of the book, why does the Prussian man's wife contact Erickson?
Essay Topic 1
Who is affected by the phase, "marriage and its consequences"? Why does this phase affect others than the couple in focus? Give examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's technique of "encouraging a response by frustrating it" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the major issues that occur during "the courtship period." How can this phase of life affect the entire family?
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)