|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which title from Chapter 1 is also used for negative reinforcement and as a means to redirect patients?
2. What is the title of Chapter 1 in the book?
3. In a nonviolent case, Erickson often encourages _____ within a couple.
4. Haley explains that in the most severe cases, Erickson would consider long-term therapy; otherwise, his relationship with clients lasted how long?
5. Voluntary and involuntary behavior is discussed to show how therapeutic techniques transform an individual into being able to perform certain ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What progress does Harold make educationally in his work with Erickson?
2. How and with whom does Harold end up beginning a relationship with in Chapter 4?
3. What are Erickson's primary goals in couple's therapy?
4. When was hypnosis introduced to the psychiatric community and why?
5. How long does the therapy process last working with Erickson?
6. Discuss Erickson's methods of frustration, space, and emphasizing the positive.
7. What is the purpose of therapy in Haley's opinion as it relates to the phases?
8. In what way does Erickson's therapy method sometimes step outside of the office?
9. What does Haley say regarding the cycle of "Marriage and Its Consequences"?
10. What does Erickson feel regarding dissent with a couple in the sessions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "causing change by communicating in metaphor" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Who is affected by the phase, "marriage and its consequences"? Why does this phase affect others than the couple in focus? Give examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "providing a worse alternative" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)