|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Voluntary and involuntary behavior is discussed to show how therapeutic techniques transform an individual into being able to perform certain ______.
2. Haley explains that Erickson, in dealing with ______, does not attempt to change their fundamental nature and does not even try to confront the real problem directly.
3. One case of Chapter 4 includes a man named Harold who asserts that he is homosexual and hates women. He is also what?
4. One marital trouble that can occur was exemplified in Chapter 5 as the case of a young wife with a _____ hand.
5. The author does not mention the issue of whether to ______ when he mentions the matter of marriage.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Erickson's approach to "family orientation"?
2. How does Erickson address Harold's issues with women?
3. What are the first two descriptions of Erickson's techniques in Chapter 1?
4. Describe the first life phase discussed in Chapter 2.
5. Give an example of a case where trance was used by Erickson in Chapter 5.
6. What does Haley write about the institution of marriage in the beginning of Chapter 5?
7. How does Erickson use an indirect method of treatment in the example of the young man who feared women from Chapter 3?
8. What are Erickson's primary goals in couple's therapy?
9. What is remarked by Haley regarding a "love triangle" in Chapter 2?
10. What is Haley's description of "Middle Marriage Difficulties"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "the use of space and position" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's technique of "emphasizing the positive" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Who is affected by the phase, "marriage and its consequences"? Why does this phase affect others than the couple in focus? Give examples from the text.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)