|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the most prominent facts about Chapter 5 is that what early in a marriage are a common and readily treatable problem?
2. Haley states in Chapter 2, there is a need for the ______ to make a major adjustment towards the relationship of another family member but also to another family.
3. After other deep work is done and Harold has some very enjoyable experiences with women he does what of his own accord?
4. The therapist deals with each part of the couple _______, as a general rule.
5. Under which heading does Haley write that the marriage ceremony is actually very important to more than just those who are marrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Haley write about the institution of marriage in the beginning of Chapter 5?
2. What are Erickson's primary goals in couple's therapy?
3. In the case where a woman is hospitalized in Chapter 5, what issues does she face with her in-laws?
4. What is Erickson's approach to "family orientation"?
5. How did Erickson use positive reinforcement in the asthmatic patient example from Chapter 3?
6. What are some of the prominent issues in marriages as Haley suggests in Chapter 5?
7. What does Jay Haley remark about Erickson's contribution to the progression of psychotherapy in the beginning of the book?
8. What friendship does Erickson instigate in Chapter 4?
9. Describe the first life phase discussed in Chapter 2.
10. Describe the first case scenario set up in Chapter 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is affected by the phase, "marriage and its consequences"? Why does this phase affect others than the couple in focus? Give examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's technique of "encouraging a relapse" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "causing change by communicating in metaphor" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)