|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under which heading of Chapter 2 does Haley state that children develop their own roles within families and parents face serious changes when they leave?
2. Haley writes of a case in Chapter 5 in which a new mother was so distraught that she was hospitalized; the trouble was that in some cases, the receipt of treatment is used by others in the greater familial context as what?
3. Which heading in Chapter 1 has the most hypnotic focus?
4. The period of adolescence that often closely predates major mating activity is one of the most important times for people to do what?
5. Which heading in Chapter 1 cultivates a response until a goal is reached?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Erickson use an indirect method of treatment in the example of the young man who feared women from Chapter 3?
2. What are the first two descriptions of Erickson's techniques in Chapter 1?
3. Describe the first case scenario set up in Chapter 4.
4. What progress does Harold make educationally in his work with Erickson?
5. Describe Erickson's use of metaphor and relapse.
6. Discuss Erickson's methods of frustration, space, and emphasizing the positive.
7. What is the purpose of therapy in Haley's opinion as it relates to the phases?
8. What is Haley's description of "Middle Marriage Difficulties"?
9. What does Haley write about the institution of marriage in the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. Describe the first life phase discussed in Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "amplifying a deviation" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Erickson use the technique of avoiding self-exploration? In what way does this make his methods unique to other talk-therapists?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "causing change by communicating in metaphor" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)