|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Erickson's therapy includes and involves helping the _____ patients to overcome their fears surrounding dating issues.
2. The transition from being a child into being an adult involves ______ of the relational patterns between family members.
3. In a nonviolent case, Erickson often encourages _____ within a couple.
4. Erickson's type of reinforcement in the example in Chapter 3 was incredibly effective and the _____ fell from the forefront into the background of the client's life.
5. One client in Chapter 5 received therapy for a few months and then simply lost or stuffed down her symptoms and is written of as having _______ since.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jay Haley remark about Erickson's contribution to the progression of psychotherapy in the beginning of the book?
2. How long does the therapy process last working with Erickson?
3. Describe the first life phase discussed in Chapter 2.
4. How does Haley describe Erickson's approach to adolescents in Chapter 3?
5. What does Haley write about the institution of marriage in the beginning of Chapter 5?
6. In the case where a woman is hospitalized in Chapter 5, what issues does she face with her in-laws?
7. What does Haley say regarding the cycle of "Marriage and Its Consequences"?
8. How does Erickson approach conducting sessions with couples?
9. What is Erickson's approach to "family orientation"?
10. What are the first two descriptions of Erickson's techniques in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "the use of space and position" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's technique of "amplifying a deviation" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "emphasizing the positive" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)