|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It states in Chapter 2 that therapists often discover that habituated communication problems and other issues, including the involvement of _____, are all highly relevant to the families at this juncture.
2. The presence of a child or children creates a variant of the _____, which only grows in complexity with the advent of additional children.
3. In Chapter 5, Erickson and Haley both admit that not all young adults want to do what?
4. Harold became negative about the _______ with whom he had had been sexually involved in a limited sense.
5. Which heading in Chapter 1 has the most hypnotic focus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example of a case where trance was used by Erickson in Chapter 5.
2. What does Erickson feel regarding dissent with a couple in the sessions?
3. What are Erickson's primary goals in couple's therapy?
4. What are the first two descriptions of Erickson's techniques in Chapter 1?
5. When was hypnosis introduced to the psychiatric community and why?
6. How does Erickson deal with an adolescent's fears and insecurities in the courtship period?
7. In what way does Erickson's therapy method sometimes step outside of the office?
8. What are some of the prominent issues in marriages as Haley suggests in Chapter 5?
9. What progress does Harold make educationally in his work with Erickson?
10. What is Erickson's approach to "family orientation"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does childbirth throw the entire family structure into a form of crisis? What ways does Erickson use to assist families in this transition?
Essay Topic 2
Who is affected by the phase, "marriage and its consequences"? Why does this phase affect others than the couple in focus? Give examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "amplifying a deviation" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)