|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The challenge of the woman with the trembling hand in Chapter 5 was that the wife wanted her husband to do what?
2. Harold would finally happen into a heterosexual relationship with whom?
3. Erickson writes of withholding and sharing information and of how he succeeds in curing a young woman of pain she experiences during ______.
4. The one condition on which Erickson allows couples to fight was that they genuinely seek to what?
5. In one case in Chapter 5, there was competition between the mother and the ______ over mothering the new baby.
Short Essay Questions
1. In the case where a woman is hospitalized in Chapter 5, what issues does she face with her in-laws?
2. How does Erickson use an indirect method of treatment in the example of the young man who feared women from Chapter 3?
3. What does Haley write about the institution of marriage in the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. How does Erickson approach the sexual orientation of the client in Chapter 4?
5. What is Haley's assertion of changes occurring in "Childbirth and Dealing with the Young"?
6. Give an example of a case where trance was used by Erickson in Chapter 5.
7. What does Erickson feel regarding dissent with a couple in the sessions?
8. Describe Erickson's use of metaphor and relapse.
9. In what way does Erickson's therapy method sometimes step outside of the office?
10. When was hypnosis introduced to the psychiatric community and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "encouraging a relapse" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how "amnesia and the control of information" works. How is this technique controversial? In what examples does Erickson use it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "seeding ideas" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)