|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Erickson _____________, he then keeps out of that friendship so that it takes its own natural course.
2. Where additional education is needed, Erickson recommends it; for instance, _________ can educate girls whose mothers or other older women did not properly train in make up or fashion.
3. The therapist deals with each part of the couple _______, as a general rule.
4. The challenge of the woman with the trembling hand in Chapter 5 was that the wife wanted her husband to do what?
5. Haley explains that Erickson, in dealing with ______, does not attempt to change their fundamental nature and does not even try to confront the real problem directly.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Erickson address Harold's issues with women?
2. Describe Erickson's use of metaphor and relapse.
3. How does Erickson deal with an adolescent's fears and insecurities in the courtship period?
4. What does Haley write about the institution of marriage in the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. When was hypnosis introduced to the psychiatric community and why?
6. What are Erickson's primary goals in couple's therapy?
7. What progress does Harold make educationally in his work with Erickson?
8. What is remarked by Haley regarding a "love triangle" in Chapter 2?
9. What are some of the prominent issues in marriages as Haley suggests in Chapter 5?
10. What is the purpose of therapy in Haley's opinion as it relates to the phases?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems are often encountered when parents face children leaving home to lead adult lives? How does Erickson involve the entire family in these therapy sessions?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's technique of "encouraging resistance" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "the use of space and position" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)