|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In one case in Chapter 5, there was competition between the mother and the ______ over mothering the new baby.
2. Under which heading in Chapter 2 does Haley explain that what occurs here is that couples are faced with dynamic challenges?
3. In one scenario in Chapter 5, Erickson was ignorant in matters of baby gender prediction, but he did recommend _____ to avert disaster.
4. The first heading of Chapter 1 is titled _____________; wherein, the individual in therapy is re-educated to view resistance as a form of cooperation in its own right.
5. Which heading in Chapter 1 has the most hypnotic focus?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and with whom does Harold end up beginning a relationship with in Chapter 4?
2. How does Erickson deal with an adolescent's fears and insecurities in the courtship period?
3. What is remarked by Haley regarding a "love triangle" in Chapter 2?
4. What progress does Harold make educationally in his work with Erickson?
5. What does Haley say regarding the cycle of "Marriage and Its Consequences"?
6. Describe the first case scenario set up in Chapter 4.
7. Give an example of a case where trance was used by Erickson in Chapter 5.
8. What is Haley's description of "Middle Marriage Difficulties"?
9. What are some of the prominent issues in marriages as Haley suggests in Chapter 5?
10. What is the purpose of therapy in Haley's opinion as it relates to the phases?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "encouraging a relapse" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's technique of "encouraging resistance" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's work with those facing old age. What does he use hypnosis for in these examples? What are common problems of the elderly?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)