|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Haley writes of a case in Chapter 5 in which a new mother was so distraught that she was hospitalized; the trouble was that in some cases, the receipt of treatment is used by others in the greater familial context as what?
2. The author does not mention the issue of whether to ______ when he mentions the matter of marriage.
3. Which heading in Chapter 1 shows how Erickson gets the husband to enter therapy just to straighten out the therapist?
4. Haley explains that in the most severe cases, Erickson would consider long-term therapy; otherwise, his relationship with clients lasted how long?
5. Erickson is truthful to the client. This includes acknowledging that the pain or other problem may what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is remarked by Haley regarding a "love triangle" in Chapter 2?
2. What progress does Harold make educationally in his work with Erickson?
3. What does Erickson focus on with new mothers facing post-partum depression?
4. What is the purpose of therapy in Haley's opinion as it relates to the phases?
5. How does Haley describe Erickson's approach to adolescents in Chapter 3?
6. What does Haley write regarding post-partum depression in Chapter 6?
7. What does Erickson state regarding seeing only one spouse in a marriage?
8. Describe Erickson's use of metaphor and relapse.
9. What friendship does Erickson instigate in Chapter 4?
10. In the ending of the book, why does the Prussian man's wife contact Erickson?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "emphasizing the positive" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's technique of "providing a worse alternative" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How does childbirth throw the entire family structure into a form of crisis? What ways does Erickson use to assist families in this transition?
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)