|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Erickson's type of reinforcement in the example in Chapter 3 was incredibly effective and the _____ fell from the forefront into the background of the client's life.
2. During the 1950s, there was still debate about what in psychotherapy?
3. One marital trouble that can occur was exemplified in Chapter 5 as the case of a young wife with a _____ hand.
4. The need to help the growing youths integrate into the community life without insufficient or excessive ________ is important throughout and continues when people have become parents.
5. Erickson's use of intentional forms of amnesia as part of the trance is done in order to _________ and to empower individuals to make certain changes.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first case scenario set up in Chapter 4.
2. How does Erickson approach conducting sessions with couples?
3. How did Erickson use positive reinforcement in the asthmatic patient example from Chapter 3?
4. Give an example of a case where trance was used by Erickson in Chapter 5.
5. What progress does Harold make educationally in his work with Erickson?
6. How does Erickson use an indirect method of treatment in the example of the young man who feared women from Chapter 3?
7. What are some of the prominent issues in marriages as Haley suggests in Chapter 5?
8. How does Erickson deal with an adolescent's fears and insecurities in the courtship period?
9. What is Erickson's approach to "family orientation"?
10. What is remarked by Haley regarding a "love triangle" in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "encouraging a response by frustrating it" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's technique of "the use of space and position" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's work with those facing old age. What does he use hypnosis for in these examples? What are common problems of the elderly?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)