|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what technique does Erickson use trance to release people from deep-seated behavior patterns, some of which have been counter productive or relied upon to reduce fears?
2. Which technique is also part of intentional hypnotic conditioning (here it is observed that uniformly siding with one family member and the creating of factions by the therapist is discouraged)?
3. Harold would finally happen into a heterosexual relationship with whom?
4. Where additional education is needed, Erickson recommends it; for instance, _________ can educate girls whose mothers or other older women did not properly train in make up or fashion.
5. Which heading in Chapter 1 is shown to help work out residual resistance to desirable changes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first life phase discussed in Chapter 2.
2. How does Erickson use an indirect method of treatment in the example of the young man who feared women from Chapter 3?
3. What are Erickson's primary goals in couple's therapy?
4. What is remarked by Haley regarding a "love triangle" in Chapter 2?
5. What does Jay Haley remark about Erickson's contribution to the progression of psychotherapy in the beginning of the book?
6. How and with whom does Harold end up beginning a relationship with in Chapter 4?
7. What is Erickson's approach to "family orientation"?
8. In what way does Erickson's therapy method sometimes step outside of the office?
9. What progress does Harold make educationally in his work with Erickson?
10. What is the purpose of therapy in Haley's opinion as it relates to the phases?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "encouraging a relapse" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's technique of "the use of space and position" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How does childbirth throw the entire family structure into a form of crisis? What ways does Erickson use to assist families in this transition?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)