|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In one scenario in Chapter 5, Erickson was ignorant in matters of baby gender prediction, but he did recommend _____ to avert disaster.
2. Harold would finally happen into a heterosexual relationship with whom?
3. After Erickson's client secured the job in Chapter 3, the therapist asked for details about how corrections were made when the client revealed that there had been _____.
4. One of the most prominent facts about Chapter 5 is that what early in a marriage are a common and readily treatable problem?
5. Which heading in Chapter 1 involves subjective aspects of time?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the ending of the book, why does the Prussian man's wife contact Erickson?
2. How does Erickson deal with an adolescent's fears and insecurities in the courtship period?
3. Describe the case in Chapter 6 in which the mother is ultimately left out following post-partum depression.
4. What does Haley write about the institution of marriage in the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. What does Erickson state regarding seeing only one spouse in a marriage?
6. How do Erickson's techniques vary with different clients?
7. How does Erickson enable couples in Chapter 6?
8. What does Erickson focus on with new mothers facing post-partum depression?
9. According to Erickson, what affects a person's happiness in approaching old age?
10. In what way does Erickson's therapy method sometimes step outside of the office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how "amnesia and the control of information" works. How is this technique controversial? In what examples does Erickson use it?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's work with those facing old age. What does he use hypnosis for in these examples? What are common problems of the elderly?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Erickson's technique of "causing change by communicating in metaphor" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)