|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In some cases, Erickson offers patients the option to make more complete changes in a shorter time span. In these cases, he assures them that they can, but the greater the transformation, the greater the _________ associated with the changes that will be facilitated by hypnosis.
2. Haley explains that Erickson, in dealing with ______, does not attempt to change their fundamental nature and does not even try to confront the real problem directly.
3. Under which heading does Haley write that the marriage ceremony is actually very important to more than just those who are marrying?
4. Which heading in Chapter 1 has the most hypnotic focus?
5. Which heading in Chapter 1 involves subjective aspects of time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one example in which Erickson recommends divorce in Chapter 5?
2. What is Haley's description of "Middle Marriage Difficulties"?
3. What is the purpose of therapy in Haley's opinion as it relates to the phases?
4. What friendship does Erickson instigate in Chapter 4?
5. What is Erickson's approach to "family orientation"?
6. What does Erickson feel regarding dissent with a couple in the sessions?
7. What are Erickson's primary goals in couple's therapy?
8. What are some of the prominent issues in marriages as Haley suggests in Chapter 5?
9. Describe Erickson's use of metaphor and relapse.
10. What does Haley write about the institution of marriage in the beginning of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Erickson's technique of "encouraging a response by frustrating it" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Erickson's technique of "the use of space and position" and give examples where this technique is used in case studies from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the common problems in "middle marriage difficulties"? Describe some of the examples from this section of the text and how Erickson administered therapy.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)