|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Harold has acquired better habits of dress, he begins to spontaneously seek ______ and to get it.
(b) Better work.
2. Erickson does not tell Harold there is anything wrong with _________; he tells Harold that he wants to put Harold into a position to be open to changing or keeping his ideas about himself.
(a) His appearance.
(b) His sexual orientation
(c) His intellect.
(d) His emotions.
3. In which situation is it said that new way of finding their equilibrium as a couple is needed?
(a) After childbirth.
(b) During divorce.
(c) When someone passes away.
(d) When parents grow old.
4. Which technique is also part of intentional hypnotic conditioning (here it is observed that uniformly siding with one family member and the creating of factions by the therapist is discouraged)?
(a) "Encouraging Resistance".
(b) "Avoiding Self-Exploration".
(c) "Emphasizing the Positive".
(d) "Amnesia and Control of Information".
5. Haley states in Chapter 2 that a pattern involving a built-in need for making changes and adjustments is part of what?
(a) The phase of old age.
(b) The phase of bearing children.
(c) The phase of marriage.
(d) The phase of adolescence.
6. Haley explains that in the most severe cases, Erickson would consider long-term therapy; otherwise, his relationship with clients lasted how long?
(a) Two or three months.
(b) One visit.
(c) One year.
(d) A few weeks.
7. It is stated in In Chapter 2 that some, but not all, will naturally ________; others will not. This evidently affects the culture.
(a) Mate for life.
(c) Be homosexual.
(d) Leave the nest.
8. Erickson's use of intentional forms of amnesia as part of the trance is done in order to _________ and to empower individuals to make certain changes.
(a) Alleviate the distress of patients.
(b) Make massive changes.
(c) Distress the patients.
(d) Record their hidden secrets.
9. After Erickson's client secured the job in Chapter 3, the therapist asked for details about how corrections were made when the client revealed that there had been _____.
(a) A promotion.
(b) A foreclosure.
(d) A resignation.
10. There may be fears, insecurities and inadequacies involved, but Erickson is not so interested in these or in explaining all about the shortcomings to the client, but rather Erickson focuses on helping the client to work towards what?
(a) Releasing pent-up emotions.
(b) Unveiling their past.
(c) Success in other areas of life.
(d) Discussing their family.
11. Where additional education is needed, Erickson recommends it; for instance, _________ can educate girls whose mothers or other older women did not properly train in make up or fashion.
(a) Aunts or cousins.
(b) Sisters and cousins.
(d) Professional beauty assistants.
12. A prominent concern is a family entanglement in which Harold needs to alter the dynamic with himself and one of his siblings who is one member of what kind of couple?
(a) All answers are correct.
13. The author does not mention the issue of whether to ______ when he mentions the matter of marriage.
(a) Live separately.
(b) Accept homosexuality.
14. Erickson writes of withholding and sharing information and of how he succeeds in curing a young woman of pain she experiences during ______.
15. Which title from Chapter 1 shows how indirect communication can be better therapy in some cases?
(a) "Avoiding Self-Exploration".
(b) "Causing Change by Communicating in Metaphor".
(c) "Encouraging Resistance".
(d) "Emphasizing the Positive".
Short Answer Questions
1. Erickson was able to encourage an "Asthmatic Mama's boy" out of the role of sickly and meek and out into the realm of what?
2. Erickson mentions that in cases where the woman won't let the man talk, as the therapist, he will either get her to keep her mouth shut and listen or will do what?
3. Milton Erickson came from the American Midwest and received the majority of his education and preliminary work experience in Wisconsin and _____.
4. Therapy is meant to facilitate the transition of a person from the situation of being a child into being what?
5. Erickson typically conducts therapy with the goal of keeping a couple together except for two types of case: one, if the couple feels the marriage was a mistake, and second, in the event that the marriage does what?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)