|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, The Pain of Old Age.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One extreme example of dependency in Chapter 8 is when a young woman goes off to college and her parents build an addition to the house so she can live there while she is an adult, including when?
(a) After marriage.
(b) After she's disowned them.
(c) After college.
(d) After they've died.
2. Haley states in Chapter 8 that great dramas are enacted when the dynamic between the parents has grown ______ in any way on their relationships with the offspring.
3. Erickson notes in Chapter 8 that when you start defending "my rights," you become a what?
4. Haley writes of a case in Chapter 5 in which a new mother was so distraught that she was hospitalized; the trouble was that in some cases, the receipt of treatment is used by others in the greater familial context as what?
(a) An excuse for them to be blamed.
(b) An excuse to coddle them.
(c) An excuse for divorce.
(d) An excuse to unfairly exclude them.
5. The purpose of the therapeutic interventions in Chapter 7 are to provide some _______ regarding the entire situation.
(a) Rational thought.
(b) Third-party objectivity.
(c) Basic laws.
(d) Scientific perspective.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under which heading of Chapter 2 does Haley state that children develop their own roles within families and parents face serious changes when they leave?
2. In Chapter 5, Erickson and Haley both admit that not all young adults want to do what?
3. The therapist prescribes a specific course of action with the boy with behavioral problems in Chapter 6. With his direction and his assurance that her son is not being put in danger from doing so, the mother spends an entire day doing what?
4. Which technique is also part of intentional hypnotic conditioning (here it is observed that uniformly siding with one family member and the creating of factions by the therapist is discouraged)?
5. In some cases, Erickson offers patients the option to make more complete changes in a shorter time span. In these cases, he assures them that they can, but the greater the transformation, the greater the _________ associated with the changes that will be facilitated by hypnosis.
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)