|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Weaning Parents from Children.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what technique does Erickson use trance to release people from deep-seated behavior patterns, some of which have been counter productive or relied upon to reduce fears?
(a) "Frustrating the problem".
(b) "Communicating in metaphor".
(c) "Encouraging a relapse".
(d) "Revision of nature".
2. Once he overcomes the severe effects of the poverty of his childhood, Harold manages to develop a new habit of __________.
(a) Going to nice dinners.
(b) Working out.
(c) Dressing himself well.
(d) Asking guests to his house.
3. What is the title of Chapter 1 in the book?
(a) "Emphasizing the Positive".
(b) "Strategic Therapy".
(c) "Encouraging Resistance".
(d) "Seeding Ideas".
4. In one case in Chapter 5, there was competition between the mother and the ______ over mothering the new baby.
(a) Mother's mother.
5. In cases where only the wife comes in, the husband has often implied that the therapist is having some kind of relationship with his wife, therefore _____ the relationship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Erickson cites examples of a couple that ceased to have an alcohol problem when they did what on weekends?
2. Under which heading does Haley write that the marriage ceremony is actually very important to more than just those who are marrying?
3. The therapists of the 19th-century noticed that there was something deeper going on; here Mesmer and ____ are used as examples
4. In Chapter 5, Haley shows how Erickson applied therapy when the challenge was to help new parents over into the ______ of being parents.
5. The 19th-century method was to treat a patient in what way?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)