|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to one witness, where in the apartment building did the murder occur?
(b) On the staircase.
(c) On the landing.
2. Based on the impact of their testimony on the jury, who are the two most important witnesses?
(a) An old man across the street and a woman downstairs.
(b) The policeman and the doctor.
(c) A young boy next door and his mother.
(d) An old man who lives in the victim's apartment and a woman who lives across the street.
3. In the beginning of the deliberations, how do most of the jurors demonstrate a lack of seriousness about their role as jurors?
(a) They read the newspaper.
(b) They are casual in their discussions.
(c) They do not pay attention to the details.
(d) They are concerned about how the trial has kept them from attending to their own interests.
4. What important fact does Juror Three point out about something the defendant purchased on the day of the murder?
(a) The defendant purchased a knife identical to the murder weapon.
(b) The defendant purchased a pen knife that could have inflicted a fatal wound.
(c) The defendant purchased a dangerous knife.
(d) The defendant purchased a butcher knife similar to the murder weapon.
5. Which words suggest that the defendant should not have to prove his innocence?
(a) The defendant is "innocent until proven guilty."
(b) The defendant is "innocent because there is no eye-witness."
(c) The defendant is "innocent unless the prosecution presents good evidence."
(d) The defendant is innocent "unless the judge says he is guilty."
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Juror Four challenge the defendant's alibi?
2. What important facts are revealed about the circumstances of the defendant's life by the juror who votes "not guilty" in the first round of voting?
3. What is "the burden of proof"?
4. What does the verdict from the second vote among jurors prove?
5. At what time is the murder alleged to have occurred?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)