|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the defendant, why did he buy the alleged murder weapon?
(a) Because the one he had before was stolen.
(b) To give it as a present to his friend.
(c) Because he lost the one he had before.
(d) Because his father beat him.
2. What is "the burden of proof"?
(a) The principle stating the defendant does not have to prove anything but the prosecution must prove guilt.
(b) The responsibility of the jury to come up with the right verdict.
(c) The responsibility of the judge in proving guilt or innocence.
(d) The responsibility of proving one's innocence.
3. How does the defendant account for the fact that after the murder he does not have the weapon he bought?
(a) He says he left it at his friend's house.
(b) He says it was stolen.
(c) He says it must have fallen through a hole in his coat pocket.
(d) He says he lost it at the football game.
4. What is the defendant's alibi?
(a) He claims to have been at the store.
(b) He claims to have been at the ball game.
(c) He claims to have been at the movies.
(d) He claims to have been hanging out with his friends.
5. At what time of year does the jury in Twelve Angry Men meet to hear testimony and determine a verdict?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the outcome of the "different" vote suggested by the dissenting voter?
2. Which words suggest that the defendant should not have to prove his innocence?
3. What two types of prejudice are evident in the comments of some of the jurors during Act 1?
4. Why do the jurors take a vote before discussing the evidence?
5. What important fact does Juror Three point out about something the defendant purchased on the day of the murder?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)