|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "the burden of proof"?
(a) The responsibility of the judge in proving guilt or innocence.
(b) The responsibility of the jury to come up with the right verdict.
(c) The principle stating the defendant does not have to prove anything but the prosecution must prove guilt.
(d) The responsibility of proving one's innocence.
2. What important facts are revealed about the circumstances of the defendant's life by the juror who votes "not guilty" in the first round of voting?
(a) He has been in and out of prison for stealing cars.
(b) He has had a difficult life in a ghetto; his mother is dead and his father has beaten him regularly.
(c) He has had a difficult life in a ghetto without a father.
(d) He is an orphan and member of a minority group.
3. Apart from the action of the dissenting juror in Act 1, what other contributions from a juror suggest there is at least one other juror willing to stand up against the behavior of others?
(a) Juror Six says America is a free country.
(b) The foreman orders the jurors to be orderly.
(c) Juror One says people are free to disagree.
(d) A juror rebukes Juror Ten for his racist comment.
4. At what time is the murder alleged to have occurred?
(a) Around midday.
(b) Early in the morning.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) Just after midnight.
5. What is a hung jury?
(a) One in which the evidence is inconclusive.
(b) One in which the foreman cannot control the jurors.
(c) One in which the jurors cannot reach a unanimous verdict.
(d) One in which the jurors recommend hanging.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reaction of the jury when the dissenting juror discredits the allegation that the weapon is unique?
2. In what process does the defendant ask questions of the prosecution's witnesses?
3. How old was the defendant when he lost his mother?
4. Which of the jurors comment that they all had difficult lives, so a difficult life should not explain the defendant's history of violence?
5. What important fact does Juror Three point out about something the defendant purchased on the day of the murder?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)