|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age was the defendant in reform school?
2. Why does the dissenting juror insist they should spend time examining the evidence in detail?
(a) He is not certain that the defendant is guilty.
(b) He believes the presentation of the case is prejudiced.
(c) He believes the witnesses are unreliable.
(d) He believes that the defendant is innocent.
3. Which words suggest that the defendant should not have to prove his innocence?
(a) The defendant is "innocent because there is no eye-witness."
(b) The defendant is innocent "unless the judge says he is guilty."
(c) The defendant is "innocent unless the prosecution presents good evidence."
(d) The defendant is "innocent until proven guilty."
4. What comment by Juror Ten reveals his prejudice?
(a) He dislikes all foreigners.
(b) He dislikes all Caucasians.
(c) He dislikes all people who are not of his racial background.
(d) He has lived among people "like the defendant" and they cannot be trusted.
5. After the knife discussion, how do the other jurors pressure the dissenting juror to make him change his vote?
(a) They say he is the only one and they will return a "hung jury" verdict.
(b) They suggest that he is inferior because he is from the ghetto.
(c) They suggest that he is not intelligent enough to understand the evidence.
(d) They suggest that he is on the side of law breakers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who jams the murder weapon into the wall?
2. What two types of prejudice are evident in the comments of some of the jurors during Act 1?
3. Based on the impact of their testimony on the jury, who are the two most important witnesses?
4. Which of the jurors comment that they all had difficult lives, so a difficult life should not explain the defendant's history of violence?
5. According to one of the witnesses, what was the defendant alleged to have shouted out to his father on the night of the murder?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)