|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which words suggest that the defendant should not have to prove his innocence?
(a) The defendant is "innocent until proven guilty."
(b) The defendant is "innocent unless the prosecution presents good evidence."
(c) The defendant is innocent "unless the judge says he is guilty."
(d) The defendant is "innocent because there is no eye-witness."
2. Why does the dissenting juror challenge the fact that other jurors are willing to take the alleged eyewitness' word when they would not accept the defendant's word?
(a) Because the eyewitness belongs to the same ethnic group.
(b) Because they assert that all people from the defendant's community are liars and the eyewitness is from the area.
(c) Because the eyewitness belongs to the same family as the victim.
(d) Because they assert that the eyewitness was unreliable.
3. Why was the alleged eyewitness awake at the time of the murder?
(a) It was cold.
(b) It was noisy because of the train.
(c) It was a stormy night.
(d) It was too hot to sleep.
4. According to one of the witnesses, what was the defendant alleged to have shouted out to his father on the night of the murder?
(a) "I hate you and I am going to kill you!"
(b) "You are the worst father and I wish you were dead!"
(c) "I hate you and I wish you were dead!"
(d) "I'm gonna kill you!"
5. Who is the defendant and for what is he being tried?
(a) A boy is being tried for the murder of a man downstairs.
(b) A man is being tried for the murder of the woman next door.
(c) A young man is being tried for the murder of his father.
(d) A man is being tried for the murder of his son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a hung jury?
2. Apart from the defendant, who was arrested for handling a weapon?
3. After eleven jurors vote "guilty" and one juror votes "not guilty", what process do the jurors decide on in order to resolve the matter?
4. What comment by Juror Ten reveals his prejudice?
5. What important information casts doubts on the eyewitness' story in the first discussion of the evidence?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)