|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose account supports the author's claim that slave traders often used tricks to make the slaves appear well-groomed and healthy for the day of the auction?
(b) Jenny Proctor.
(c) Delicia Patterson.
2. What happened to the children who were captured with their mothers and brought aboard the slave ship?
(a) They were separated from their mothers and thrown overboard into the water.
(b) They were strangled in front of their mothers' eyes as a lesson in obedience.
(c) They were separated from their mothers and kept in another location.
(d) They were taken aboard another ship meant only for slave children.
3. Once the slaves left the field, what did they do?
(a) Cook dinner for the master.
(b) Attend to their individual chores.
(c) Get some rest.
(d) Eat dinner.
4. Why did the emotional scenes during slave trades occur?
(a) Slaves didn't agree with the price they were being sold for.
(b) Slave families were being split apart.
(c) Slaves did not want to part from their original masters.
(d) Slave families rejoiced at being bought together.
5. What was the typical work hours for a slave who worked in the field?
(a) Sunrise to midnight.
(b) Sunrise to sunset.
(c) Mid-morning to midnight.
(d) Sunrise to nighttime.
Short Answer Questions
1. The slave trading was much like today's ____________________.
2. Where did some of the most emotional scenes of slave trading take place?
3. From where did the first American-built slave ship sail from?
4. How did Frank Cooper realize his Mammy used to be a slave?
5. How many lashes would a slave receive for something like a broken branch in the field or a dry leaf in the cotton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the importance of music in the lives of the slaves?
2. What was the story of Powhatan Mitchell and what did it signify?
3. What was Julius Lester's purpose for writing "To Be a Slave" and did he accomplish it?
4. After emancipation, what did many of the ex-slaves to do attempt to survive? Did this work?
5. Why was the Civil War declared and by which President?
6. What kept the slaves working in the fields day in and day out?
7. Briefly describe the slave trading market.
8. What was the overall reaction from the slave community once they were freed?
9. Describe what the slave coffle was.
10. Briefly discuss the treatment of Ben Simpson mother by their master in Chapter 2.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)