|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the slave's "home" called?
(a) Slave Rooms.
(b) Slave Huts.
(c) Slave Housing.
(d) Slave Row.
2. What was the main plant that was in need of constant care by the slaves?
3. In southern society, a man's status was based upon:
(a) The amount of money he recieved from selling slaves.
(b) The number of slaves he had.
(c) The amount of money he had.
(d) The number of slave women he had.
4. In 1860, less than ______ slave owners owned more than ______ slaves.
(a) 4000; 150.
(b) 3000; 150.
(c) 3000; 100.
(d) 4000; 150.
5. Who said the following: "We never heard our names scarcely at all. First young man I went with wanted to know my initials! What did I know 'bout initials?"
(a) Sallie Crane.
(b) Charley Williams.
(c) Charles Ball.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slaves knew they were enslaved because of what two reasons?
2. The cotton picking season began when?
3. Which of the following is NOT a reason a slave owner might sell a slave?
4. ____________ was the practice of slave owners which resulted in more children for next generation labor and an easy way to make a profit through sales.
5. The job of a slaver trader was to sell the slave to the _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a typical day for a slave working on a plantation.
2. The slaves were often portrayed as being stupid, even though they were not. However, many times they actually did pretend to be stupid and ignorant. For what purpose?
3. What is the brief story of the slave named Jake from Chapter 5 and what is its significance?
4. What were three ways that the Prologue mentions in which slave trading was carried out?
5. What was the overall reaction from the slave owner community once slaves were freed?
6. Briefly describe a typical plantation.
7. Discuss the ideas of freedom and death to the slaves.
8. What was the KKK and what did they do?
9. Discuss the role of establishing house-servants and what they did.
10. What did Ol' Gabe used to do?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)