|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose account is an example of a joyous occasion seen at the auction block?
(a) Prince Bee.
(b) Doc Daniel Dowdy.
(c) Jenny Proctor.
(d) Lou Smith.
2. What was the second group of people that the colonists tried to use for manual labor?
(a) Poor whites, prisoners, and debtors.
(b) Rich whites.
3. How did Frank Cooper realize his Mammy used to be a slave?
(a) He saw how rough her hands were.
(b) He found her freedom papers.
(c) He saw the cuts on her legs.
(d) He saw the old scars on her back.
4. Which country introduced Africans to Europe in the early sixteenth century?
5. With whom did slave owners sometimes try to be gentle with before they bought them?
(b) Young women.
(c) Young men.
(d) Old women.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percentage of the South owned no slaves?
2. In 1860, less than ______ slave owners owned more than ______ slaves.
3. The job of a slaver trader was to sell the slave to the _____________.
4. Who said the following: "We never heard our names scarcely at all. First young man I went with wanted to know my initials! What did I know 'bout initials?"
5. Who said the following: "I have never seen or heard from her from that day to this. I loved her as I love my life."
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the overall reaction from the slave owner community once slaves were freed?
2. Did any slaves actually prefer to exist under slavery?
3. In the Prologue, what does Ball say happened to the African women and children?
4. In the Epilogue, why does Thomas Hall state that he does not like Lincoln?
5. What was the reason that the Federal Writer's Project interviewed so many blacks?
6. What were some ways in which the slaves learned to resist the brainwashing and dehumanizing tactics of the slave owners?
7. What story did Frank Cooper tell and what was its importance?
8. What was the story of Powhatan Mitchell and what did it signify?
9. What was the KKK and what did they do?
10. Discuss the reasons why Indians and whites did not work out for the colonists for manual labor purposes.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)