|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which figure did slaves find a form of camaraderie?
(a) Jesus Christ
(b) Abraham Lincoln
(c) Thomas Jefferson
2. Some slaves preferred what over being captured after running away?
(a) Be killed or kill themselves.
(b) Turning themselves in.
(c) Keep running.
(d) Bury themselves to hide for days.
3. When slaves became freed, what was one constitutional power they were given?
(a) Keeping a family together.
4. What turned into another kind of slavery?
(b) Indentured servitude.
5. What was Lew Cheney known for?
(a) He hid out in the woods for several years before escaping to Mexico.
(b) He was hiding in the swamp and ended up hanging himself, a bell around his neck so animals would not devour his body.
(c) He organized an insurrection only to betray it, resulting in him becoming extremely hated by all his race.
(d) He was hit by the little Missy when trying to wake her up and almost choked her in retaliation.
6. Cornelia Carny told the story of whom?
(a) Her uncle Jake who quit working.
(b) Her father, John Jones Littleton who hid in the woods.
(c) Her cousin, Paul who hung himself.
(d) Her brother who hit the little Missy.
7. When was the only time slaves got a few days to a week off?
8. What was President Lincoln's original reason for starting the Civil War?
(a) To split the Union.
(b) To teach the southern states not to rebel.
(c) To preserve the Union.
(d) To free the slaves.
9. What did the slaves use religion for?
(a) Understanding how to treat their masters.
(b) Resisting the dehumanizing effects of slavery.
(c) Simple worship.
(d) Learning new stories.
10. What was the purpose of the slaves to appear ignorant, sloppy, and stupid?
(a) To gain less work and more food.
(b) To gain more food and less whippings.
(c) To gain less work and less whippings.
(d) To gain less food and less work.
11. When did the slaves generally sneak off?
(a) Monday nights.
(b) Saturday nights.
(c) Sunday nights.
(d) Friday nights.
12. How long did Armacie Adams continue working as a slave before finding out he was free?
(a) Two years.
(b) More than a year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three months.
13. What did some of the slave owners do when freedom was declared?
(a) They gave their slaves homes to live in.
(b) They did not tell their slaves they were free.
(c) They paid their slaves before letting them go.
(d) They killed their slaves so they could not have freedom.
14. Which of the following is NOT a method whites used to "brainwash" blacks?
(a) Stating that whites are superior and giving blacks a cursed name.
(b) Taking away a personal identity.
(c) Having personal discussions with each slave.
15. What was the purpose of the three bells worn by Paul above his head?
(a) To have something to use as an instrument for music when he was alone.
(b) Anyone who heard the jingling would get scared and run away.
(c) His master used it as a means of finding him if he ran away.
(d) When he hung himself, animals approaching his body would be scared away at the sound.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something the slaves did when they heard of their freedom?
2. Who was the President of the Confederacy?
3. What term was used for noted places of refuge for runaways?
4. What were house servants led to believe?
5. Who was the general of the Union Army?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)