|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Lew Cheney known for?
(a) He was hiding in the swamp and ended up hanging himself, a bell around his neck so animals would not devour his body.
(b) He was hit by the little Missy when trying to wake her up and almost choked her in retaliation.
(c) He organized an insurrection only to betray it, resulting in him becoming extremely hated by all his race.
(d) He hid out in the woods for several years before escaping to Mexico.
2. Which of the following is NOT something the slaves did when they heard of their freedom?
(a) Sing and dance.
(b) Shout wildly.
(c) Thank their masters for keeping them so long.
(d) Toss away their tools and jump about.
3. How long did Armacie Adams continue working as a slave before finding out he was free?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two years.
(d) More than a year.
4. Who shared the story of being unable to believe that freedom had come upon the slaves?
(a) Anna Woods.
(b) Tom Hester.
(c) Tom Robinson.
(d) Betty Jones.
5. Who attempted to gain favor of his master by accomplishing satisfactory deeds in hopes of becoming a house servant?
(a) Charles Ball.
(b) William Hayden.
(c) Josiah Henson.
(d) West Turner.
6. What was a "share?"
(a) It was a portion of land that ex-slaves could have for loan by the government to live and work on.
(b) Ex-slaves created settlements in which everyone was required to share their earnings and harvests.
(c) Ex-slaves went back to their old owners who let them work on the plantation but deducted a certain amount from their harvest.
(d) It was what they called the monetary loan given to ex-slaves by the government.
7. Cornelia Carny told the story of whom?
(a) Her cousin, Paul who hung himself.
(b) Her uncle Jake who quit working.
(c) Her brother who hit the little Missy.
(d) Her father, John Jones Littleton who hid in the woods.
8. Why did some slave owners move to Texas?
(a) Gold was discovered in Texas.
(b) They were hoping to keep their slaves a bit longer.
(c) They were running away from the punishments set forth by Lincoln on slave owners.
(d) They had no reason to stay in the southern states with no slaves.
9. Some slaves preferred what over being captured after running away?
(a) Turning themselves in.
(b) Be killed or kill themselves.
(c) Keep running.
(d) Bury themselves to hide for days.
10. Who was the slave who did not agree with slavery but felt that doing the job right was the proper way of doing things?
(a) West Turner.
(b) Josiah Henson.
(c) Charles Ball.
(d) William Hayden.
11. Slavery was abolished but what was the new term for the new treatment of blacks?
(b) Renewed slavery.
12. What was the slave called Paul known for?
(a) He hid out in the woods for several years before escaping to Mexico.
(b) He was hiding in the swamp and ended up hanging himself with a bell around his neck.
(c) He was hit by the little Missy when trying to wake her up and almost choked her in retaliation.
(d) He organized an insurrection only to betray it, resulting in him becoming extremely hated by all his race.
13. Who said, "I wanted to go back but I had no way."
(a) Mittie Freeman.
(b) Alice Wilkins.
(c) Frank Fikes.
(d) Jake Goodridge.
14. Who was the leader of the white terrorist group?
(a) Robert E. Lee.
(b) Nathan Bedford Forrest.
(c) Jim Freeman.
(d) Samuel Cooper.
15. What are the two ways that a man can be enslaved?
(a) Force and brainwashing.
(b) Force and money.
(c) Brainwashing and money.
(d) Brainwashing and trickery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was another problem slaves faced after they were freed?
2. What did hundred of slaves do when they heard of the Civil War?
3. Chapter 5 portrays which of the following themes?
4. What was the main purpose of the white terrorist group that had formed at the end of the Civil War?
5. What was President Lincoln's original reason for starting the Civil War?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)