|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the President of the Confederacy?
(a) Jefferson Davis.
(b) Ulysses S. Grant.
(c) Robert E. Lee.
(d) Samuel Cooper.
2. What year did the Civil War begin?
3. What was Lew Cheney known for?
(a) He hid out in the woods for several years before escaping to Mexico.
(b) He was hiding in the swamp and ended up hanging himself, a bell around his neck so animals would not devour his body.
(c) He was hit by the little Missy when trying to wake her up and almost choked her in retaliation.
(d) He organized an insurrection only to betray it, resulting in him becoming extremely hated by all his race.
4. What year did the Union army leave the South?
5. After working for a "share" for a while, what ended up happening to many of the ex-slaves?
(a) They were able to purchase their own land.
(b) They found themselves in debt.
(c) They ran away.
(d) They found that they were much happier.
6. During the late 18th and 19th centuries, what was a second way slaves escaped from slavery?
(a) They ran away and lived the rest of their lives in the forest.
(b) They drugged their masters.
(c) They ran away and established their own settlements.
(d) They started rebellions and destroyed the plantations.
7. When did slaves begin freeing themselves?
(a) Right when the Civil War ended.
(b) When they heard a rumor that they were declared free.
(c) After all the southern states were under Union control.
(d) After the Emancipation Proclamation was declared.
8. How many years did the Civil War last?
9. Who said, "I wanted to go back but I had no way."
(a) Alice Wilkins.
(b) Jake Goodridge.
(c) Mittie Freeman.
(d) Frank Fikes.
10. What was the purpose of the three bells worn by Paul above his head?
(a) To have something to use as an instrument for music when he was alone.
(b) His master used it as a means of finding him if he ran away.
(c) When he hung himself, animals approaching his body would be scared away at the sound.
(d) Anyone who heard the jingling would get scared and run away.
11. What did some of the slave owners do when freedom was declared?
(a) They gave their slaves homes to live in.
(b) They killed their slaves so they could not have freedom.
(c) They paid their slaves before letting them go.
(d) They did not tell their slaves they were free.
12. What was the purpose of the slaves to appear ignorant, sloppy, and stupid?
(a) To gain less work and less whippings.
(b) To gain more food and less whippings.
(c) To gain less work and more food.
(d) To gain less food and less work.
13. Where did the South surrender to the North?
14. Who attempted to gain favor of his master by accomplishing satisfactory deeds in hopes of becoming a house servant?
(a) William Hayden.
(b) West Turner.
(c) Charles Ball.
(d) Josiah Henson.
15. Who were the "bluecoats?"
(a) The northern army.
(b) The southern army.
(c) The French.
(d) The British.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was President Lincoln's original reason for starting the Civil War?
2. When did the slaves generally sneak off?
3. What did the overseers term the slaves' acts of ignorance?
4. What stinging word did the slaves take and make their own to lessen its effects?
5. What did the slaves use religion for?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)